Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shitshow posted:

I loved this movie, I’m going to see it a second time next weekend, but one question: did anyone else think the sound mix was off?

Maybe it was my theater’s sound system, but some of the dialogue was extremely difficult to pick out against the background sound effects and music track.
That's every movie nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Miguel also inherits Prowler's musical sting motif.

Gwen does too, which is interesting.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Philip Lord talked about the sound issue. Basically the way it is mixed or compressed required theaters to turn volume up to 7 (and even made stickers for projectionist to do this), but I guess not every place wants to turn up theater volume.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

hiddenriverninja posted:

It ends in the same way that Empire Strikes Back does: it's kind of a downer but it makes you excited for what's gonna happen next.

That’s being a little kind. Empire felt like an ending, this just felt like they stopped the film before the last 30 minutes.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Given that Miguel is seen injecting himself with some Spider Substance, and Miles says “Claws?! Are you even a Spider-man?!” That there’s some sort of twist or complication involving his spider-hood. Perhaps he’s a non-Spider-Man deliberately choosing to keep giving himself Spider powers? Either way he seems off in some way. It’ll be interesting to see where his character goes.

That's all stuff carried over from the original 2099 comics IIRC

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

checkplease posted:

Philip Lord talked about the sound issue.

I noticed the volume seemed low, as well, so good to know I’m not developing a hearing problem. I’ll just crank it up when it comes to home steaming.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I usually have to wear earplugs to the local theatre so I'm very interested to see how this pans out

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I usually have to wear earplugs to the local theatre so I'm very interested to see how this pans out
The theater I went to was loud and I wore earplugs so ymmv

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just got out of it. Loved every second of it EXCEPT to be continued it was even more gorgeous and visually interesting than the first one. And the writing was top notch. I will say that towards the end I was like “okay this feels like they’re setting up for a cliff hanger ending, okay yeah there’s no way they can wrap this up in the remaining runtime" so it wasn't exactly a surprise.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As for the empire strikes back comparison:

In both films a hero ends up captured in the hands of an enemy. The main threat still looms, but the heroes friends have regrouped and promised to rescue him. So there’s some parallel.

Gwen’s arc is given a proper ending as she makes up with her dad and now perceives what the right thing to do is regarding Miles. Miles too seemed to come to terms with his parental conflict though that’s pulled from him a bit. So there is some resolution.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The overall message of “gently caress canon” is a very very good moral for comic nerds and it’s amazing it’s baked in so hard here

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Nitpickery: I'm mostly able to take the movie on whatever level of seriousness it takes itself. Miles' dad makes it through the fight with Spot unscathed, Peter has a little baby that nobody is too worried about being injured.

But, that Alchemax building falling down in Mumbattan must have killed thousands of people, right? In classic Spider-Man style we're focusing on all the individual randos that get saved and the last-minute tension at the end, but you can't just shave off the tops of dozens of buildings and break part of a bridge clean off without cracking a few eggs, yeah?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

That’s being a little kind. Empire felt like an ending, this just felt like they stopped the film before the last 30 minutes.

It's Back to the Future 2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sivart13 posted:

Nitpickery: I'm mostly able to take the movie on whatever level of seriousness it takes itself. Miles' dad makes it through the fight with Spot unscathed, Peter has a little baby that nobody is too worried about being injured.

But, that Alchemax building falling down in Mumbattan must have killed thousands of people, right? In classic Spider-Man style we're focusing on all the individual randos that get saved and the last-minute tension at the end, but you can't just shave off the tops of dozens of buildings and break part of a bridge clean off without cracking a few eggs, yeah?

shhhh don't worry about it

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Captain Invictus posted:

shhhh don't worry about it
🎵 If you're wondering how [several buildings can be destroyed with no casualties]
And other science facts
Then repeat to yourself "It's just a [film]
I should really just relax" 🎵

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I rewatched it tonight, and every single frame is gorgeous. Every Frame a Painting: Across the Spider-Verse.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

I mean how is that a problem for the movie though? miles and crew were just trying to save whoever they could and the fact that miguel was more concerned about miles saving someone he shouldn't rather than potentially failing to save tons of people is specifically showing something about his character. If that hadn't happened there might have been a scene where it was like "yeah we hosed up and killed a lot of people" but there are specific plot reasons we never had time to get that scene, and it's also not like miles and crew intentionally caused what happened. So I'm not totally sure what your problem is unless they specifically said "nobody died" and I missed it which is admittedly possible

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 5, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
There's something very compelling to me about the specific, sadistic nature of how Miguel thinks about canon events. Like part of the canon event that is a captain close to Spider-Man dying trying to save a kid, why are those the only details that matter to Miguel? Isn't a crucial element of the event that Spider-Man is trying to save people but fails. How does it maintain the importance of the event if Spider-Man isn't even allowed to try? I feel like the awfulness of this decontextualization is how the next movie will resolve why it's OK for Miles to actually win.

It is also so infuriating how Miguel blames Miles for getting bitten by that spider. Miguel basically ignores The Spot, the scientist who actually disrupted things by stealing the spider from a different dimension. It is all Miles fault somehow.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

Another thought about that scene in your 2nd paragraph.
Not trying to be edgy for the sake of it, but I was really worried about what they meant when they tried to "fix" the universe after. It did shows Spider-men deploying some techno-stuff, but I was wondering if it meant they would need to axe the Police Captain to save the universe. Admittedly that would make the whole Spider-organization straight-out villains, but I was curious if that was an idea in the writers' room for a second.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wittgen posted:

I feel like the awfulness of this decontextualization is how the next movie will resolve why it's OK for Miles to actually win.[/spoiler]
I mean it's also possible that Miguel is just plain wrong about some of the details. We know he caused one world to fall apart and he developed this theory of canon events, but there's no guarantee that he's even correctly understanding what is going on. This probably has to be true to some extent for the next movie to have a decent ending

Simulation883 posted:

Another thought about that scene in your 2nd paragraph.
Not trying to be edgy for the sake of it, but I was really worried about what they meant when they tried to "fix" the universe after. It did shows Spider-men deploying some techno-stuff, but I was wondering if it meant they would need to axe the Police Captain to save the universe. Admittedly that would make the whole Spider-organization straight-out villains, but I was curious if that was an idea in the writers' room for a second.
I mean that's basically the plot of Loki isn't it?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Danger posted:

The overall message of “gently caress canon” is a very very good moral for comic nerds and it’s amazing it’s baked in so hard here

Not just comic nerds, loving anyone who complains about inclusion in general. It’s fitting that this came so quickly after The Little Mermaid because it feels like a response to all of the people who suddenly care so much about accuracy in depiction of fairy-take/fictional characters only when they start being depicted as a minority. Miguel saying that Miles shouldn’t even exist in the first place and that if he is gonna exist at all he has to follow these very strict rules about how he acts, and having that be the thing that spurs Miles to action feels like the film is taking aim at prescriptivist media assholes talking about the right way to do inclusivity.

It also feels like a broader statement about the world more generally. Miguel’s big speech screams “BETTER THINGS AREN’T POSSIBLE” and him and Peter B and Jessica all taking the side of “well this is how it is and yes we have to let some people die but also good things come from suffering feels like “adults in the room” talking about climate change or student debt or any of the other issues that young people correctly see as life-or-death that older people say “well I had to deal with this and I came out fine, there’s no point in trying to change how things work.”

Edit: also hubie loving ruled all the way through. He first shows up and Miles being really jealous of his closeness to Gwen and instead of hubie thinking “ah gently caress this little kid” he instantly vibes with him. And as the movie goes on his whole bit gets a little stale and he keeps trying to burst the bubble of the Spider Society for Miles, almost to the point to me thinking he was gonna end up being an antagonist because I couldn’t figured out what he was doing there to begin with. But then he helps Miles escape and bounces, which is already cool, but it turns out he was there the whole time to reverse-engineer their tech and goes to help Gwen reunite with Miles. Punk as gently caress

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 5, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

My favorite bit about Hobie was how he makes everyone think he’s ultimately all talk, but then it turns out that he actually used that to his advantage to steal Miguel’s stuff and make his own dimension travel devices.

In other words, he seized the means of production.
:allears:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat I had no idea Hobie was Daniel Kaluuya. These movies are excellent about using famous actors not just as stunt casting but getting them to really dive into their characters.

Maybe Mulaney and Cage were more of a joke but... I have no complaints.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I loved Hobie's aesthetic and I loved that he ends up being a good bloke after all.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Hobie was really great, even i didn't understand half of what he was saying.
had to look up what his last line was before he bounced
"oh by the way, i quit"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hobie is the best Spider-being.

One thing I really liked is how they used colors to help convey mood and story. It was particularly noticable with Gwen.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Also the development of the Spot was incredible, you see him the first time and he’s just this awkward looking pale (possibly naked?) loser who has absolutely no confidence in himself and his power and you see him develop until he’s this fuckinf horror-comic being beyond reality made entirely of a substance that should not exist and whose only goal is to ruin Miles

Every time we got a clip of that black and white Spot-o-Vision was incredible. The artists really worked their asses off for every frame of this movie

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Saw movie, beautiful amazing gorgeous I need to own it so I can watch the drat thing at half speed and drool over the visuals

Edir: the sound was good for once in my life, didn't need earplugs and I could hear all the dialogue mostly

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Nthing the complaints about Gwen's opening dialogue. I honestly thought our theater had sound issues because she sounded muddled in a way that did not feel intentional.

But man I can't wait to see this again. Next time I'm getting second row seats.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Talorat posted:

I loved Hobie's aesthetic and I loved that he ends up being a good bloke after all.

Yeah the way they set him up was exactly how most movies set the hero's rival. In most movies he'd be a dismissive douche who's only role is to help the love interest realize what a good guy the hero is and show how far the hero has come with some grudging respect at the end. Here he's the cool older brother because he Spider-Man.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I too missed a tiny bit a dialog with Gwen at the very start and some of Hobie's so maybe the mixing was a little off but it wasn't a huge problem throughout.

Fantastic time in the theater. Went in remembering vaguely that there's a third but I didn't realize the end would be so abrupt. Especially without a mid-credits stinger to soften the blow a little it did create a kind of weird energy as people walked out. Gobsmackingly gorgeous, if you're skimming this for general reactions I think this is one to see as big and loud as soon as possible.

So for three... I bet we start with Miguel's spin on the "let's do this one more time" and get his backstory to echo Gwen's in this. Time to start setting up some sort of redemption arc for him. I'm pretty suspicious of his whole explanation but don't know if he is legit mistaken about the cause and effect or being willfully blind because he blames himself for not doing enough or failing in some way.

There was a little interaction between him and Peter B in the conversation about canon that made me think Peter B was witness to the events or it had happened in his reality? But nothing came of it.

I wonder if non-canon spiderpeople might lose access to the spiderVERSE, or their existence weakens the web as a whole? But I don't think that the fabric of the universe rests on Parker Luck, because that's just too depressing a message for a series with impeccable writing.

We're gonna spend some more time in the world without spiderman, maybe get some backstory of the prowler there for Miles to chew on? The -- was it sinister six syndicate? gives some things for the spider gang to punch. Maybe they get ahold of some tech so we can have a multiversal team up; we've had TONS of spiderpeople but besides the small segment here not much from the rogue's gallery.

They win they all go home and beat up spot, but all this together doesn't feel like enough threads for another 2 hours...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wittgen posted:

It is also so infuriating how Miguel blames Miles for getting bitten by that spider. Miguel basically ignores The Spot, the scientist who actually disrupted things by stealing the spider from a different dimension. It is all Miles fault somehow.

Miguel is obsessed with “canon” because he needs the idea of some cosmic self-enforcing Order that mandates personal tragedy for spider-beings because it’s the only way he, personally, can cope with the fact that he went through the wringer twice, presumably with one package of the standard spidey tragedy plus the loss of his replacement family. He resents Miles because his very existence as a Spider-Man that shouldn’t exist is a full-throated universal refutation of the one idea that’s letting him hold it together (after all - if his idea of Canon was true, then shouldn’t both Miles’ universe and universe 42 fallen prey to the glitching and rifts? And yet they persist despite such a seemingly massive violation) and he’s projecting all the blame of the situation possible on to him to try and justify his resentment.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Miguel is obsessed with “canon” because he needs the idea of some cosmic self-enforcing Order that mandates personal tragedy for spider-beings because it’s the only way he, personally, can cope with the fact that he went through the wringer twice, presumably with one package of the standard spidey tragedy plus the loss of his replacement family. He resents Miles because his very existence as a Spider-Man that shouldn’t exist is a full-throated universal refutation of the one idea that’s letting him hold it together (after all - if his idea of Canon was true, then shouldn’t both Miles’ universe and universe 42 fallen prey to the glitching and rifts? And yet they persist despite such a seemingly massive violation) and he’s projecting all the blame of the situation possible on to him to try and justify his resentment.

In addition, the implication I got was that Miguel believes (Or at least suspects) that the spider that bit Miles came from the universe that he found and was destroyed - hence his line about Miles' existence depriving another universe of its Spider-Man. His anger is deeply personal, and parallels Miles' relationship with the Spot, as in both cases Miles wasn't really at fault for their tragedies, but he's an easy target for their anger.

I don't know if this is the intended reading though, since I'm not sure if the timeline works out. Guess I'll have to watch the movie again to find out :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m betting that there’s going to be a twist with Miguel where he finds out that he got the cause wrong: Spot eventually grows so powerful that he starts rewriting history on a multiversal scale, and Miguel’s own present efforts to stop Miles are what ultimately causes the tragedy in his past to happen

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Regalingualius posted:

I’m betting that there’s going to be a twist with Miguel where he finds out that he got the cause wrong: Spot eventually grows so powerful that he starts rewriting history on a multiversal scale, and Miguel’s own present efforts to stop Miles are what ultimately causes the tragedy in his past to happen

In the comics Miguel is supposed to be from the future, so this checks out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

That would make lot of sense

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wait if Miguel is from the future couldn't he also just be trying to prevent the future from changing so he can get wait to get back to his family again? I doubt that's actually going to be the explanation though

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In addition, the implication I got was that Miguel believes (Or at least suspects) that the spider that bit Miles came from the universe that he found and was destroyed - hence his line about Miles' existence depriving another universe of its Spider-Man. His anger is deeply personal, and parallels Miles' relationship with the Spot, as in both cases Miles wasn't really at fault for their tragedies, but he's an easy target for their anger.

I don't know if this is the intended reading though, since I'm not sure if the timeline works out. Guess I'll have to watch the movie again to find out :v:

The spider that bit Miles is from Earth-42 which appears to still exist, even if it's a villain filled poo poo show right now.

Aside, I have a feeling that Miguel destroying the scanner before it could identify what dimension he's from might be significant later, especially if that other poster's theory that he's not a real spiderman is true.

Random off topic question, does anyone happen to know how Miles Morales has been received in general outside the US? I know Spiderman is like the most popular super hero by far in Latin America, I'd be curious to see if they're as much of fans of Miles as North Americans are.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 5, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

But I don't think that the fabric of the universe rests on Parker Luck, because that's just too depressing a message for a series with impeccable writing.

I agree with the sentiment, but also, "the multiverse is held together by Parker Luck like it's death-laden duct tape" is the most Parker Luck outcome possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Talorat posted:

The spider that bit Miles is from Earth-42 which appears to still exist, even if it's a villain filled poo poo show right now.

Miguel is from the future. Spider teleported>no OG spiderman>No DNA to make Miguel a Spiderperson> He Is Happy but dies> 2099 Spiderman takes his life> Canon Cataclysm. That is the theory.