Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bloody Pom posted:

I keep thinking Sorrow is wearing a tracksuit. It's not just me, right?

I never couldn’t not see it lol. It was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

:same:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, he isn't wearing a track suit?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just now noticing he's got that purple skin coloration that Kagaya Ubuyashiki does.

https://twitter.com/asakurakii/status/1652688339106148353

I'm sure it's just because I'm excited to see more of it but I feel like this could've easily just been 20 episodes and they're stretching things out. But as I say that, I don't know what I'd cut out that'd make it a shorter season anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
All of them have markings around their head and eyes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

RareAcumen posted:

Just now noticing he's got that purple skin coloration that Kagaya Ubuyashiki does.

https://twitter.com/asakurakii/status/1652688339106148353

I'm sure it's just because I'm excited to see more of it but I feel like this could've easily just been 20 episodes and they're stretching things out. But as I say that, I don't know what I'd cut out that'd make it a shorter season anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a 12 episode season.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Conspiratiorist posted:

but apparently the last episode 45-60 minutes

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Either this episode or the next is where I dropped the manga. This fight just goes on forever and ever and seriously makes me miss the old days where our crew would pack a demon up in two to three episodes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh that feels a lot better to hear

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Reset the counter on "Weeks Since A Flashback Involving Child Death"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That boy needs therapy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GateOfD posted:

Mist breathing so far looks like a lovely style

It's certainly a less lovely looking style now. I really liked the animation of the mist techniques in episode 8, and I hope they stick with this same fight in episode 9 since there's definitely some moves there that I want to see looking all pretty.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Everyone needs therapy.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm certain that, if I can go Super Sayan 5, I won't need therapy

- Vegeta, probably

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The more broken and tragic your backstory the more potential you have for becoming super powerful. That's the shounen way!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I really hope one of those upper moons that are immune to swords gets dealt with the same way Muichiro dealt with his first demon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like how they show the brothers carrying steadily heavier loads until you realize they were just born with super strength.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone give me a Hashira refresher, I don't think anyone has joined up and trained to that level just because it seems like a fun time? Closest we get is Rengoku because his dad was the last Flame Hashira.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Someone give me a Hashira refresher, I don't think anyone has joined up and trained to that level just because it seems like a fun time? Closest we get is Rengoku because his dad was the last Flame Hashira.

A lot got picked for the trail by Ubuyashiki after having some traumatizing event involving demons that they survived. In regard to "for the fun", well, Kanroji became a Hashira under Rengoku's guidance to marry another hashira. Basically all of them showed some kind of excellence during the mountain trail, like Kanao who became tsuguko of Kanae and Shinobu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Most demon slayers have tragic backstories since you don't join the corp for fun. I think Zenitsu is the only member who doesn't have some kind of tragic death involved with why he joined.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think Rengoku did. His was a family thing.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Fishman really went out like a chump

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's not that he was weak, it's that Smug Tokito is strong.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tokito is literally a genius who became a Pillar before Tanjiro and Co. even became Demon Slayers, and he's younger than them by a year.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was also preforming at a higher Level than normal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Awww he had Rengoku's hilt piece protecting him :3:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So is the face tattoo thing like going super saiyin?

Also I thought those dragon/snake heads were like stone or dirt but I guess they're wood

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mist breathing is looking really good this episode. I'm just glad this upper moon got utterly diced up. Rest in pieces creep. At least now we're getting more appearances from the Love Hashira. I am really looking what she has to offer.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I didn’t care for it. Why is Tokito so strong he can one shot the 5th strongest demon and survive all that poison while Uzui was getting destroyed 1v1 by the 6th strongest demon and he’s literally trained to withstand poison. Boring power creep…

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Because Tokito is stronger than Uzui

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Poppers posted:

I didn’t care for it. Why is Tokito so strong he can one shot the 5th strongest demon and survive all that poison while Uzui was getting destroyed 1v1 by the 6th strongest demon and he’s literally trained to withstand poison. Boring power creep…

Tokito is a child prodigy + had the superpower buff. Gyokko also does not have anti-beheading measures like Daki and Gyutaro, so one beheading is all you really need. One shot is literally all you need for most demons, to be honest. Because you just gotta take their head off. Everything else is just parrying, blocking, or dodging.

Uzui wasn't really 1 v 1ing since the very nature of Gyutaro and Daki means that you can't kill them unless both are beheaded. Also Uzui takes time to ramp up cause he has to analyze his opponent - once his score was completed he was holding his own against Gyutaro despite losing an arm and a fuckton of blood + being poisoned.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Uzui also outright stated he was inferior to Tokito

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And Uzui didn't unlock the Slayer Mark.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways Uzui himself laments that he's not a genius like a lot of the other Pillars*. Uzui's strength is derived from years of brutal, hellish ninja training that resulted in the death of a bunch of his siblings.

Meanwhile in this arc we have Kanroji who was literally born different, and Tokito, the wunderkind.

In Mugen Train we had Rengoku, who almost 1v1'd the 3rd strongest Upper Moon to death AND was primarily self-taught (his dad never taught him the Fire Breathing Style; Rengoku had to rely on texts).

No wonder Uzui feels sorta down on himself** even though he's still an insanely strong dude.

quote:

Do I look like someone with any talent? [...] See, this country is vast. It's teeming with people who'd blow your mind. Some are complete enigmas. Some can take up a sword and become a Hashira in two months. Me, chosen? Don't give me that crap! Just how many lives do you think I've let slip through my fingers until now?

** Though a part of this is just guilt over his past in general, since he also expresses admiration for Shinobu, who doubles as a healer and saves lives, in contrast to Uzui's PTSD over killing his siblings.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How old is tokito supposed to be, gyokko called him 10 but I think he was just trying to get under his skin

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How old is tokito supposed to be, gyokko called him 10 but I think he was just trying to get under his skin

He's 14, Gyokko was trying to get under his skin (and failing, and getting mad instead, Tokito is just a master troll)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Eh this didn't really land.

There's a time for "Person realises something about themself and gets a huge powerup" but it's usually with a character we're invested in.

Mist boy here has shown up for all of like three seconds and the fight, such as it is, is him being stuck in a bubble for about three episodes and then just bodying the upper rank with little to no flare or back and forth.

If this was Inosuke I'd be going loving wild but honestly it just makes Tengen look like a loser in retrospect for having that much trouble with the sixth rank.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Yea, fish guy went out like a bitch. Not a fan of Tokito at all, or his fight. Good fights in this series is a good back and forth with both sides edging on the other. But here, just about the entire time Tokito was ahead and the only thing that stopped him a bit was the bubble. Every other attack he countered easily, even before the markings powerup. Compared to the gauntlet of Daki & Gyutaro and the display in Mugen Train, its just boring.

The other kind of fight is like in bleach where the captain just so happens to be the special niche perfect counter to the enemy for it to be a showoff. But Tokito doesn't do that either, he's just fighting like he usually does.

The head of the demon slayer corps was all happy that an uppermoon finally got beaten, poo poo, he should have just sent Tokito. He would have just beheaded both Daki and Gyutaro right after Gyutaro popped out.

Doesn't help that I don't even know what the hell Tokito is actually doing with his mist breathing. Like he's fast? We already have Zenitsu who's fun to look at when he's going pikachu.

Hopefully Kanroji's fight is more interesting. Noted that its emotion demons, and Kanroji is using a 'emotion' named style

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

bad episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It was OK, but we didn't need like 3 episodes or w/e about this guy.