Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you get a used phone through Swappa they are at least required to take pictures of all the scratches and disclose if the screen or any of the innards have been replaced with third-party parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Clark Nova posted:

disclose if the screen or any of the innards have been replaced with third-party parts

:lmao: if you expect this will be done unless any innards that are changed literally do not allow full functionality (whether you agree with the DRM or not) and alert you when you use the phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

School of How posted:

I just recently bought a iphone 13 mini "renewed" off Amazon. When I got the phone, everything seemed to be fine with it except I couldn't get Face ID set up. It would just say "hold your iphone lower" or something like that, and would not progress. I did some research and discovered that this is a common problem, and the fix is to whack the camera area with your finger to "wake up" the sensor. I tried it and that got it Face ID set up. For the rest of the day Face ID seemed to work in opening the phone, but now it's the next day and it just won't work at all. I have to type in my passcode to open the phone. Even though I'm whacking the front camera area over and over, it just won't work.

My question is, how common of a problem is this for the iPhone 13 mini? If I return this one for another one, is it likely my next iPhone 13 mini will have the same problem as this one?

I've literally never heard of this, I don't think this is a "common" problem at all.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I have the Ultimate Phone aka 13 mini and have never ever once had to whack the camera.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It’s been almost a year and my phone is still processing my library for photo shuffle.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i hate when my phone gets lazy and i keep having to shake, prod, and poke the fucker to get it to do anything :mad:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i hate when my phone gets lazy and i keep having to shake, prod, and poke the fucker to get it to do anything :mad:

"and one more thing, we're introducing iPhone Bop-It Edition, we think you're gonna love it"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You could market it as a training tool for prospective parents.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

POCKET CHOMP posted:

With the always on screen it is actually a bit annoying when you try to wake it up "too fast" and it doesn't respond to touch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The WWDC event is tomorrow. Is there a thread for it or should I make one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So the phone doesn’t come with a charge brick and then I order a MagSafe charger and that doesn’t come with one either lol. Cool.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

So the phone doesn’t come with a charge brick and then I order a MagSafe charger and that doesn’t come with one either lol. Cool.

How do you not have 50 usb bricks laying around?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Don’t think the threads been made yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

Sure. This year should be an interesting one since this supposed to be the year they show off the AR/VR headset. Who the gently caress really knows though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thread's up for WWDC:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033584

It starts at 10AM PDT tomorrow 6.5.23.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FlapYoJacks posted:

How do you not have 50 usb bricks laying around?

You need a USB-C PD brick for the MagSafe charger, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

veni veni veni posted:

The dude at the AT&T store told me that using any of my previous wireless chargers or iphone bricks would blow up my new 14 and I needed to buy all new ones. Obviously this is complete bullshit, but is there actually anything to know about charging a 14? seems to be working fine with all my other chargers.

Reasons why Apple has been so slow to move away from Lightning. USB a caps out at 12w, for MagSafe they want you using a 15w usb c as the charging speed floor. Realistically, an iPhone can charge at 24w with a usb c cable....

Thankfully I've had some high powered USB C devices (Nintendo Switch, Macbook, work laptop) since 2018 or so, so I'm lucky to have lots of usb c chargers.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 5, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I’ve got a bunch of old ones with usb-a lying around, so pretty much useless. It’s just insane to me that they would sell a phone without a charger, then you buy the official charger for it and it still doesn’t have a drat charger. Maybe Apple should list it as something else since it doesn’t actually charge anything without buying yet another item.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

Reasons why Apple has been so slow to move away from Lightning. USB a caps out at 12w, for MagSafe they want you using a 15w usb c as the charging speed floor. Realistically, an iPhone can charge at 24w with a usb c cable....

Thankfully I've had some high powered USB C devices (Nintendo Switch, Macbook, work laptop) since 2018 or so, so I'm lucky to have lots of usb c chargers.

can someone clarify - is charging at high wattage worse for the battery longevity?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

can someone clarify - is charging at high wattage worse for the battery longevity?

I'm just pointing out the complicated nature of usb c charging nowadays. Apple optimizes their charging so it doesn't degrade the battery as much. MagSafe isn't the most efficient way to charge your phone, either, but it's convenient and still faster than any usb a cable.

Newer iPhones have these larger batteries that can handle faster charging via usb c, and unfortunately Apple isn't throwing one of those more expensive faster chargers in the box.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 5, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

I'm just pointing out the complicated nature of usb c charging nowadays. Apple optimizes their charging so it doesn't degrade the battery as much. MagSafe isn't the most efficient way to charge your phone, either, but it's convenient and still faster than any usb a cable.

I'm just pointing out that modern iPhones with larger batteries can handle faster charging via usb c, and unfortunately Apple isn't throwing one of those more expensive faster charges in the box nowadays.

yeah I don't doubt you. i can speak well of the Anker 18w and ravpower 20w for usb c iPhone charging. my nighttime charger is 16w cause it's what I have there, it works ok on that timeframe. wondered if there was a difference.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Most of my charging these days is done via a lightning cable that stays permanently plugged into the front of my Mac Studio. Between the phone, my AirPods Max and the Magic Keyboard/trackpad there is always something that needs charging and it’s crazy fast.

I’ve got a wireless charging stand next to my bed as well so the only time I use a conventional charger is when I’m travelling.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's really annoying that AirPods are lightning whilst Beats Studio buds are usb c, and the iPad Air i have is also usb c. makes things confusing to manage.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

it's really annoying that AirPods are lightning whilst Beats Studio buds are usb c, and the iPad Air i have is also usb c. makes things confusing to manage.

AirPods Pro I’m not too annoyed by. They charge wirelessly. Anywhere I’d bring the AirPods that would need charging would also have the requirement of bringing my Apple Watch charger, so two birds one stone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I don’t find it annoying now since I’m 100% Apple based and so everything I have is lightning. It will be annoying when I replace my iPhone or iPad and the new ones are usb C.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

why aren't the iPads and beats lightning??

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

why aren't the iPads and beats lightning??

Beats aren’t lightning because unlike AirPods Apple needs to be able to sell them to the heathens. iPads aren’t lightning because they’re increasingly positioned as real computers and usb c gives them a ton of options for peripherals.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I’ve got a bunch of old ones with usb-a lying around, so pretty much useless. It’s just insane to me that they would sell a phone without a charger, then you buy the official charger for it and it still doesn’t have a drat charger. Maybe Apple should list it as something else since it doesn’t actually charge anything without buying yet another item.

:capitalism:

Not quite what you asked for, but I got one of these on sale and super useful (looks like it’s currently $30 off).

https://www.anker.com/products/a9137

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, I’m the sucker who buys super overpriced Apple silicone cases for my phone because I like the colors.

This most recent one though lasted all of 30 days before getting messed up, and didn’t even protect the phone! Whatever I dropped it on cut right through the silicone on the bottom right of the face and dinged the phone edge enough to see shiny metal. It’s almost impressively useless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

In the long term, yes, higher wattage will wear the battery faster than slower charging. It's probably fine over the lifetime of a phone, though, and the charging circuits reduce the power as charge increases to account for this. (It's a bit more complicated than fast charging = worse, and is a function of the state of charge, as well. It's best just to not worry about it.)

mawarannahr posted:

yeah I don't doubt you. i can speak well of the Anker 18w and ravpower 20w for usb c iPhone charging. my nighttime charger is 16w cause it's what I have there, it works ok on that timeframe. wondered if there was a difference.
It makes no difference. MagSafe is limited to 15W, so the charging brick won't deliver more, even if it's capable of more. I suppose potentially over time the charger can wear out and might not deliver its maximum, but I wouldn't really worry too much about that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Lord Bude posted:

Beats aren’t lightning because unlike AirPods Apple needs to be able to sell them to the heathens. iPads aren’t lightning because they’re increasingly positioned as real computers and usb c gives them a ton of options for peripherals.

My Powerbeats Pro are Lightning.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I just realized my VPN app is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, yanking my battery. Anyone found an app that doesn’t do that? Currently using Mullvad but open to switching if someone has found a provider that offers protocol options that don’t do this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ubiquitus posted:

I just realized my VPN app is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, yanking my battery. Anyone found an app that doesn’t do that? Currently using Mullvad but open to switching if someone has found a provider that offers protocol options that don’t do this

I've never had any issues with winscribe :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like the iOS 16.x VPN stuff is a bit whack. I'm using Wireguard to stay connected to my home network. It ran fine for ages on iOS 15.x. However with iOS 16.x, I have to reboot the phone every few days, because it gets into a funny state attempting to reconnect and fails, eventually locking up the whole network stack, and more often than not eventually lock up the OS. Seems to be roaming related, because it happens more often when I cross the border.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

some welcome news. It was the only thing we missed from Signal when i made my partner get an iPhone
iOS 17 Messages adds emoji tapbacks, stickers, audio message transcription, more

9to5mac.com posted:

Apple announced a bunch of new features for iMessage in iOS 17. This includes emoji tapbacks and a new emoji stickers interface. The little-used iMessage apps have also been hidden away behind a sub-menu, for a cleaner and simpler overall design.

Other new features include automatic transcriptions for voice messages. You can also Check In for end-to-end encrypted location sharing notifications with friends.
For busy group chats, iMessage will now make it easier for you to catch up later by automatically scrolling back to the first unread message.

‘Check In’ is a new feature that lets others know that you safely arrived at a destination. If you set up a check in session and you don’t arrive on schedule, your close friends in the conversation can be notified. You can also now do inline location sharing, with your location pinned on a map.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Continuing to be jealous of people who get to use all the cool iMessage stuff while literally none of my friends have iPhones so we all use Messenger, WhatsApp or Discord. :(

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Continuing to be jealous of people who get to use all the cool iMessage stuff while literally none of my friends have iPhones so we all use Messenger, WhatsApp or Discord. :(

I only know 2 people who have Android devices, and our friend group was pretty ecstatic when one of them jumped over to iPhone this year after being a Samsung diehard for almost a decade.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m selling one of my buddies my XR on the cheap at the end of this year so she can finally be a blue bubbler

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dev profiles are up. Will report back later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dev profiles are up. Will report back later today.

Installing them now, I'm on my freak poo poo.