Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It means "perverted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'henshin' means transformation so maybe you're really bad at hearing?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My phone keeps nuking my automatic Do Not Disturb (silent mode) settings.

MotherFUCKER you stupid goddamn phone. :argh: The reason I put you on silent on a schedule is so I don't have to remember to take you on/off silent when I'm working or sleeping! I forget all the time to take it OFF silent when I put it on, so then it doesn't ring when my mom calls me or whatever. That is the point of a schedule, so I don't have to loving remember! If you keep nuking it, this completely defeats the purpose of a schedule!

Is there some expiration somewhere that I have neglected to turn off?! Why has my phone suddenly started doing this?!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

I just learned, "hentai" means like "transformation," which would explain why I frequently hear that word used in Japanese media and the subtitles don't seem to indicate any tentacle rape is afoot.
変体 means "metamorphosis"
編隊 means "formation"
変態 is only used to mean "perversion," just like "pervert" used to have a much more strictly nonsexual meaning in English

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Silver Falcon posted:

My phone keeps nuking my automatic Do Not Disturb (silent mode) settings.

MotherFUCKER you stupid goddamn phone. :argh: The reason I put you on silent on a schedule is so I don't have to remember to take you on/off silent when I'm working or sleeping! I forget all the time to take it OFF silent when I put it on, so then it doesn't ring when my mom calls me or whatever. That is the point of a schedule, so I don't have to loving remember! If you keep nuking it, this completely defeats the purpose of a schedule!

Is there some expiration somewhere that I have neglected to turn off?! Why has my phone suddenly started doing this?!

My phone's "speech output" is set to "none (unless hands free)" which is apparently as close as you can get to "none, ever, under any circumstances, shut the gently caress up you piece of poo poo" but it seems to just randomly ignore that and talk to me anyway. And nothing - nothing at all - enrages me like a machine talking to me. I absolutely cannot loving stand it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The lovely, hyper pruned trees you occasionally see around cities some places.
Where they get cut down to just the trunk, and all you're left with is an awkwardly nude cylinder that gets partially covered in leaves before it gets pruned to hell again.

They're just so sad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm on a facebook group that posts historic photos of my city and you're SUPPOSED TO identify where the building you're posting is/was located.

People keep just posting contextless photos like "look familiar? :smug:" so all the comments are variations of "where is this" "where's this" "where was this located"

Just give us the info up front so we can discuss the contents, LIKE THE RULES STATE

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Brawnfire posted:

Just give us the info up front so we can discuss the contents, LIKE THE RULES STATE

Any Facebook group I've ever joined has required me to submit an essay about the rules I just read, but once in the group nobody gives a poo poo

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Old amazon returns process :

take your item to a nearby shop, scan a qr code, then hand it over.

New amazon returns process :

Email your friend a bunch of labels you need to print, visit friend to collect the labels , return home, package up your item and tape all the labels on, await collection by Evri, hope that they come in on the day they're meant to, or that you've managed to get through the first few steps before they've arrived, pray that nothing goes wrong because the whole returns process is entirely divorced from the Amazon customer service system and there is no help whatsoever.

Wankers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

credburn posted:

Any Facebook group I've ever joined has required me to submit an essay about the rules I just read, but once in the group nobody gives a poo poo
Reminds of some random discord server I joined that had a long set of rules where rule 1 was "read the rules" and the rest was pretty standard, if comprehensive, "don't be a dick" rules.

Slyly hidden in the rules was "respond to this other post with this specific emoji to get full access" which was quite annoying when responses to "uh is the server broken?" ranged from "read the rules" to "no, read the rules".

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SubNat posted:

The lovely, hyper pruned trees you occasionally see around cities some places.
Where they get cut down to just the trunk, and all you're left with is an awkwardly nude cylinder that gets partially covered in leaves before it gets pruned to hell again.

They're just so sad.

Pollarding?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollarding

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The residents of my apartment building vote to pass fee increases for the building factors (management company) in the budget every loving year. Why? Why? I swear the residents association is taking bribes from these fuckers.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

At every new restaurant I've been to in the past year you either have to choose something in the 30 seconds it takes your waiter to fill your water glass or wait half an hour for them to check back in.

And like I'd be spiteful too if I had to wait on people all day but c'mon, can we compromise to 5 minutes? Like I'll know what I want when I see it but the qr code menu hasn't even loaded yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mr Teatime posted:

The residents of my apartment building vote to pass fee increases for the building factors (management company) in the budget every loving year. Why? Why? I swear the residents association is taking bribes from these fuckers.
Because the management company is raising their fee and if you don’t agree you’ll have to find a new management company?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Riatsala posted:

qr code menu

gently caress that poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DontMockMySmock posted:

gently caress that poo poo

It's so loving lame

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Riatsala posted:

At every new restaurant I've been to in the past year you either have to choose something in the 30 seconds it takes your waiter to fill your water glass or wait half an hour for them to check back in.

And like I'd be spiteful too if I had to wait on people all day but c'mon, can we compromise to 5 minutes? Like I'll know what I want when I see it but the qr code menu hasn't even loaded yet.

Wait, so the restaurant has a thing to scan to get the menu on your phone, but you can't order through it, you still have to talk to a waiter? The whole point of those things is that you use your phone to order and your food is brought out to you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The other point is they can change the menu and/or prices without reprinting menus.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Wait, so the restaurant has a thing to scan to get the menu on your phone, but you can't order through it, you still have to talk to a waiter? The whole point of those things is that you use your phone to order and your food is brought out to you.
I don't think this is really a thing in the States. The QR code just goes to the menu; the rest of the ordering experience is as it ever was. Sometimes there's a second QR code you can scan at the end of your meal to pay.

I did see an article in either the Washington Post or the New York Times about customers (and restaurateurs) having lost patience with QR-code menus and longing to get back to good old paper. Let's hope.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've never seen or heard of a QR code menu. What happens if someone doesn't have a phone?

The Mexican restaurant near me just writes the day's menu on a chalkboard and it's fine.

E: come to think of it, even if I do have my phone with me I have no idea how to make it read QR codes.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Jun 5, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

I've never seen or heard of a QR code menu. What happens if someone doesn't have a phone?

Then we ask them politely, but firmly, to leave.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The restaurants around me are all doing it, chains and small restaurants. I assumed it was a COVID safety thing because it seemed to start once they opened back up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dip Viscous posted:

The Mexican restaurant near me just writes the day's menu on a chalkboard and it's fine.

E: come to think of it, even if I do have my phone with me I have no idea how to make it read QR codes.

You open the camera and point it at the QR code.

If people don't have a phone they get served normally. At least that's how it works here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

The restaurants I've been to that have online menus (which are mostly accessed by NFC rather than QR, actually) also had printed menus. You could order with your phone or go up to the bar and order there.

Dip Viscous posted:

On my phone you have to open the QR code app or Google Lens and then "search with your camera". I had to google how to do it the first time because people say "just point the camera at it" but that doesn't actually work.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The restaurants I've been to that have online menus (which are mostly accessed by NFC rather than QR, actually) also had printed menus. You could order with your phone or go up to the bar and order there.

On my phone you have to open the QR code app or Google Lens and then "search with your camera". I had to google how to do it the first time because people say "just point the camera at it" but that doesn't actually work.

iPhones recognize a QR code if you just point at it with the default camera.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dip Viscous posted:

In 2023?

Seems about as likely as someone not having a head.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The QR code for the menu leading directly to a point of sale system isn't common in the US but I've seen it a few times in major cities in the last couple of years.

It's kinda nice except for the hassle of pulling out your phone and reloading the website when you just want another beer or whatever.

Android phones have Google Lens for QR stuff if the basic camera app doesn't work.

Tangentially-related, because it's "post" pandemic stuff, I've gotten really tired of guys that signal by insisting on a handshake. Dude, I'll fist bump you, but this isn't an interview and if it was you'd have failed.

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Jun 5, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Ah, Lens did it. Thanks.

FreudianSlippers posted:

In 2023?

Seems about as likely as someone not having a head.

I have a phone but I don't carry it around with me unless I'm going to be away from home for more than a full day, and a lot of people I know don't have data plans. Taking my phone with me wouldn't be a huge hassle but I'd have to know about it ahead of time.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I don't like the qr menu system cos it means that the first five minutes of your meal everyone is just staring at their phones. I guess it makes me a luddite old man, but that somehow feels more alienating and antisocial than a bunch of people reading menus.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I like having the QR code as an option. I don’t like it being the only option.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The dumbest QR code encounter I've had was when I went to a play and instead of handing out playbills they had a code you could scan for a PDF of one. Then they kicked people out for using their phones in the theater.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't like the qr menu system cos it means that the first five minutes of your meal everyone is just staring at their phones. I guess it makes me a luddite old man, but that somehow feels more alienating and antisocial than a bunch of people reading menus.
This is the driving force behind getting rid of them, according to that article. Phones take an outsize role at the meal, preventing people from properly socializing and enjoying the food.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Playing Magic: the Gathering and seeing a ton of opponents all playing the same deck they copied from some tournament winner or whatever. For one thing, it's boring. Once I see what deck it is I may as well just concede because the person you copied is a better player than either of us and I already know I can't beat them. For another, what's even the point? Putting the deck together is such a huge part of the game that if you're not doing that, you're barely even playing. You're essentially acting as a proxy for whoever did. Your victories mean nothing because you weren't the one who came up with the strategy. How is that even fun for you?

Also, almost certainly some kind of confirmation bias or whatever, but I could swear it happens in bunches. Like, some nights it'll just be match after match of "Ugh, this deck again." and other nights it'll all be novel strategies that I haven't seen before (or don't remember). There's a good chance I'll still lose, but at least it'll be fun to see how it goes.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Playing Magic: the Gathering and seeing a ton of opponents all playing the same deck they copied from some tournament winner or whatever. For one thing, it's boring. Once I see what deck it is I may as well just concede because the person you copied is a better player than either of us and I already know I can't beat them. For another, what's even the point? Putting the deck together is such a huge part of the game that if you're not doing that, you're barely even playing. You're essentially acting as a proxy for whoever did. Your victories mean nothing because you weren't the one who came up with the strategy. How is that even fun for you?

Also, almost certainly some kind of confirmation bias or whatever, but I could swear it happens in bunches. Like, some nights it'll just be match after match of "Ugh, this deck again." and other nights it'll all be novel strategies that I haven't seen before (or don't remember). There's a good chance I'll still lose, but at least it'll be fun to see how it goes.

There's a very good series on YouTube that's the history of Japanese tcgs that outlines how the metagame for yugioh was notorious for having this pattern - everyone had the same game breaking deck and noone could counter it, because the game designers hadn't thought through the consequences of certain cards.

Really, it's more on the game designers for not offering interesting ways to counter a specific pattern than the individual players

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

There's a very good series on YouTube that's the history of Japanese tcgs that outlines how the metagame for yugioh was notorious for having this pattern - everyone had the same game breaking deck and noone could counter it, because the game designers hadn't thought through the consequences of certain cards.

Really, it's more on the game designers for not offering interesting ways to counter a specific pattern than the individual players

I don't think the decks I'm complaining about are unbeatable. MtG usually doesn't have that issue. They're just not beatable by me because I'm not on the same level as the people who are winning the high-profile tournaments.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think the decks I'm complaining about are unbeatable. MtG usually doesn't have that issue. They're just not beatable by me because I'm not on the same level as the people who are winning the high-profile tournaments.

Deckbuilding skill and playing skill are two entirely different things, and they're both important to winning. At the professional level, MtG tournaments are won by people who are highly skilled pilots of decks that are designed and workshopped by many people who are not them. But those same decks are generally piloted by many people, some of which suck rear end at actually playing them. So, just because someone has a good deck doesn't mean they're going to beat you. A bad deck can make you lose, but a good deck does not guarantee victory. So you shouldn't give up hope just because someone is using a deck strategy that you've lost to before.

If there's a particular deck that's really annoying you in your local tournament scene, you can always adjust your sideboard (or even your main deck) to really gently caress over that one specific deck, which can be very satisfying.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

FFT posted:

The QR code for the menu leading directly to a point of sale system isn't common in the US but I've seen it a few times in major cities in the last couple of years.

They use this system at a food hall/bar set up in my town, and I rather like it in that context. You can seat yourself, order everything from different restaurants as slowly as you want, and a food hall employee brings it to you. I imagine it saves a lot of time and money on their end, since they don't need so many people to run registers or take orders.

Only time I've seen that sort of system in the US though. It's a little impersonal but do I really need to be friends with my poor, beleaguered waiter?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Deckbuilding skill and playing skill are two entirely different things, and they're both important to winning. At the professional level, MtG tournaments are won by people who are highly skilled pilots of decks that are designed and workshopped by many people who are not them. But those same decks are generally piloted by many people, some of which suck rear end at actually playing them. So, just because someone has a good deck doesn't mean they're going to beat you. A bad deck can make you lose, but a good deck does not guarantee victory. So you shouldn't give up hope just because someone is using a deck strategy that you've lost to before.

If there's a particular deck that's really annoying you in your local tournament scene, you can always adjust your sideboard (or even your main deck) to really gently caress over that one specific deck, which can be very satisfying.

You just have to believe in the heart of the cards and you'll achieve victory.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

just because someone has a good deck doesn't mean they're going to beat you.
It pretty much does though. Unless they're so bad at the game that they're making obvious mistakes, or their luck is just really bad, and neither of those outcomes is satisfying either.

DontMockMySmock posted:

So you shouldn't give up hope just because someone is using a deck strategy that you've lost to before.
My issue isn't that I lose, it's that the game is boring. I've seen this before, I know that it almost certainly beats me, so what are we doing here? I get to the point that I recognise the deck and just concede because it's a waste of my time to keep playing.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I only play online, and it's not just one deck. But just due to chance or whatever I'll see stuff like three people out of five playing the exact same deck some nights. It's not consistent enough that there's any way for me to plan for it even if I wanted to - which I don't, because completely changing the deck I want to play just to deal with these uncreative fuckers would kill any interest I had in the game. There should, theoretically, be some difference between the ranked and unranked games, but I haven't noticed any. They're not just using these copied decks to get their rank up (for whatever that does for them), there's just as many people playing them in the "casual" games.

Another thing: I really wish they'd add a button you could click to ask your opponent "Are you sure about that?" and let them take something back. Like, when you can see that they only attacked because they didn't notice your creature had First Strike or whatever. Anything where, in a face-to-face game, you'd point out the mistake and let them change their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Just saw a website where the phone and account number fields have up and down arrow on them, and your mouse scroll wheel changes the number that you just typed in.