Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Another recommendation for Army of Ruin here. I also really like Spirit Hunters, it doesn’t do anything too crazy but the weapon growth is fun and it scratches the AOE murder everything itch that VS does for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Halls of Torment posted a roadmap for the next couple months https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2218750/view/3695812631679669625

tl;dr: map 1 boss rework (including removing the curse), balance tweaks, pause menu improvements and equipment loadouts next week. a new npc that unlocks rerolls later in the month, as well as a new game mode. a larger content update sometime in july with a new map, at least 2 new characters and at least 2 new abilities, another new game mode and more.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
HoT sharing the herculean efforts of the Boneraiser dev, just stealing the lunch money of every joker showing up with a fresh out of unity VS clone set up. :allears:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Halls of Torment posted a roadmap for the next couple months https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2218750/view/3695812631679669625

tl;dr: map 1 boss rework (including removing the curse), balance tweaks, pause menu improvements and equipment loadouts next week. a new npc that unlocks rerolls later in the month, as well as a new game mode. a larger content update sometime in july with a new map, at least 2 new characters and at least 2 new abilities, another new game mode and more.

I kinda liked the curse with the first level Lord tbh. Felt so goddamned satisfying when I killed him. The second and third Lords just have way too much HP (especially the second jfc); dropping that dramatically and keeping the curse wouldn't be the worst

Edit: Being able to get around it with the ring and the bonus life Blessing (which I don't think was locked behind killing a Lord but I don't remember) means it's still possible to down him even if you don't end up with the DPS

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 2, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Deep rock galacric: survivor playtest sign-ups are up! Starts in a few weeks

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2321470

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

choo choo survivor is currently a dud.
Gutted tbh. Had visions of swapping out carriages full of increasingly unhinged weaponry. One carriage with just a guy physically chucking nukes out the side. The game is not that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Harminoff posted:

Deep rock galacric: survivor playtest sign-ups are up! Starts in a few weeks

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2321470
Good job Steam I guess

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Splicer posted:

Good job Steam I guess

I see no contradiction :shrug:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Aside from the curse of Boss 1(it's a fun puzzle to solve in that it gives you an esoteric problem that preparation and exploration yield the solution too but still feels awkward, especially if you were otherwise winning or built tanky) and the bosses having too much drat HP the Lords in HoT and the mini bosses in general have rock solid design. They all attack smoothly with fair but tricky telegraphs with constant pressure, you can dance in and out or hover around them at melee range depending on your skill at recognizing the wind ups and they don't punish you for build variety mostly(I did Boss 2 as Exterminator and it took 20+ minutes.) Looking it up they've got a few games under their belts and just have good taste and talent overall. What a great find, thanks VS thread. :3:

Got the +xp amulet and my first Aqueduct clear today!

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Dr. Zoggle posted:

So besides VS, Halls of Torment and Boneraiser, what's the other can't miss games in this genre? This thread moves a bit to fast for me to keep up sometimes

If I had to pick one Auto Shooter Survivor to play it'd be Rogue Genesia. I really think it's best in genre after VS.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Another Public Playtest Weekend thing for Survivor Mercs---generally continuing to build on and overhaul as many things as they well can at a time based largely on said feedback:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2141520/view/3703693931380949318

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

looks like that one just auto accepts you for the playtest

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
20 minutes till dawn is currently on ios and brotato looks like it is coming, any other recommendations for phone VS clones?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

20 minutes till dawn is currently on ios and brotato looks like it is coming, any other recommendations for phone VS clones?

Brotato is already here on iOS, I've got it downloaded right now. There's a game called Pickle Pete that was basically a Brotato clone before the port came out but with microtransactions, I don't know about anything else but I'd also be interested.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tergaso posted:

If I had to pick one Auto Shooter Survivor to play it'd be Rogue Genesia. I really think it's best in genre after VS.

This. For me I'd go:

1. VS
2. Rogue Genesia
3. Boneraiser Minions
4. Spirit Hunters: Infinite Horde
5. Soulstone Survivors

I've started and about 5 hours into Halls of Torment and I think it's going to be up very high for me, can't stop playing it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

rotinaj posted:

woke kaczynski posted:

Brotato is already here on iOS, I've got it downloaded right now. There's a game called Pickle Pete that was basically a Brotato clone before the port came out but with microtransactions, I don't know about anything else but I'd also be interested.

It didn't click with me, not because it's bad (as far as I could tell for the short time I played) but because I'm not particularly interested in phone games, but you could check out the original inspiration for VS, Magic Survivor.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
PSA: Spent a good chunk of tonight trying to get the Observer quest done in Halls of Torment. After a couple of hours and multiple clears without success, I finally took off all the fun equipment and just stacked passive bonuses and it took. I have a suspicion that my dumb summon rings were counting as main weapon attacks for some stupid reason, or maybe the fire boots. Don't know for sure since I dumped everything suspicious instead of doing it one at a time for testing purposes.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

Doomykins posted:

Aside from the curse of Boss 1(it's a fun puzzle to solve in that it gives you an esoteric problem that preparation and exploration yield the solution too but still feels awkward, especially if you were otherwise winning or built tanky) and the bosses having too much drat HP the Lords in HoT and the mini bosses in general have rock solid design. They all attack smoothly with fair but tricky telegraphs with constant pressure, you can dance in and out or hover around them at melee range depending on your skill at recognizing the wind ups and they don't punish you for build variety mostly(I did Boss 2 as Exterminator and it took 20+ minutes.) Looking it up they've got a few games under their belts and just have good taste and talent overall. What a great find, thanks VS thread. :3:

Got the +xp amulet and my first Aqueduct clear today!

Try stacking affliction with electrocute/burn and you can even make the aqueduct boss basically melt immediately. I killed him in around 7 seconds on my Sorc with both lightening abilities and juiced up transifixion. Straight DPS-based builds are painful though.

The worst skill for me by a mile is Golem. He wont attack by moving and lags behind a ton so he barely puts out any damage when you're on the move. Not sure how i'm gonna get that 3mill achievement, maybe just build a fire stack build, get him evolved, and let him try to solo a whole map. By extension, the entire summons system right now is basically worthless.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The 2nd place game returns

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2066020/view/3691309032046938873

quote:

New Feature - Auto Aim

Now you can toggle auto-aim from the “options” menu so that all skills that normally need to be aimed are automatically fired at the closest enemy.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Not much sense trying to force the Golem achievement right now given the forthcoming update or so will see it get overhauled/buffed as per the outline recently posted. Otherwise, you'd have to do something weird like the don't ever actually attack gloves that buff your skills and put everything into summon and survival passives and just stick to it everywhere and hope.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think you could farm Golem 3m off the 2nd Lord by kiting him forever, I got the 750k just now with a golem spawn at about 23 minutes, didn't put much effort in and it popped well into the fight so I guess his mines register damage. They were increasing my burning hat damage too when they got lit on fire. This would be incredibly boring, of course.

Exterminator fights Lord 2 well if you get max range upgrades.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All you gotta do for golem is stack crit and hang out by one of the walls of infinite hp dudes in map 3. don't take duration, you want him doing his normal attack. A source of fragility helps.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo, that was the one thing I wanted from SSS and they always seemed like they wouldn't do it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Any mods that allow you to dial down weapon effects? At a certain point you literally can't go anywhere \ see anything.

Just died in Gallo tower - tried to find Leda (unlocked her already, just for fun) and was killed by her \ an invisible enemy that I couldn't even see.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Any mods that allow you to dial down weapon effects? At a certain point you literally can't go anywhere \ see anything.

Just died in Gallo tower - tried to find Leda (unlocked her already, just for fun) and was killed by her \ an invisible enemy that I couldn't even see.

You probably already know this, but you can turn off damage numbers and a few minor effects which makes the game more legible. Though sometimes the only indication that you've encountered a boss is that there is a shape producing damage numbers that is not going away immediately.

But as far as mods, I'm not aware of any.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so the chaos golem in soulstone survivors is op as gently caress right? i just had a run where it did like 620m damage and everything else was in the 5m range

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xander77 posted:

Turn off limit break

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Awesome! posted:

so the chaos golem in soulstone survivors is op as gently caress right? i just had a run where it did like 620m damage and everything else was in the 5m range

Yep

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Man, Soulstone Survivors is great! Any tips re: what to unlock first or how to go about it?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEj1Sh_Ghss

Really just play the game, beat maps with each one and things will naturally unlock. The hardest part is materials to craft the weapons which is what i'm stuck on.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Being under $5 is part of the definition of the genre. A $10 game is not in the genre.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mescal posted:

Being under $5 is part of the definition of the genre. A $10 game is not in the genre.

Being dirt cheap makes it easy to try VS clones out and not feel bad if they're shallow. There's quite a few good entries in the genre that could punch in the $10-20 weight class. $20 for Boneraiser, VS, Brotato or Halls on GBA/DS/3DS? Hell yeah. Any of the good titles are easily worth 10 bux.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah alot of these are cheap cuz they are really worth that much. They won't ever be finished or as close to feature rich as VS, Boneraiser, Brotato, or Soulstone.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

On a whim I tried Brotato and Boneraiser Minions. Brotato is pretty fun and I like how intense it gets but the Isaac-esque art is ugly as sin and sinks the game for me. Boneraiser though? holy moly that game just keeps unlocking systems and mechanics, played it for like 3 hours straight, it's amazing lol

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Battle Grid finally shuts up and takes our money in 2 days

quote:

TWO DAYS UNTIL BATTLE GRID RELEASES INTO EARLY ACCESS!

What's new:
A new moon: Explore a Frozen Tundra and face off against new enemies.
Corporate ladder: A game mode that adds new challenge modifiers to runs for added difficulty.
Grid Upgrades: 10 grid upgrades, and 6 synergies to Unlock.
Balance Changes: Adjusted spawners, new boss on the first moon, and more opportunities for hybrid builds (guns + synthtech).

What's old:
Keep your HEX balance from the prologue, we have removed some Grid Upgrades permanently so you will lose spent HEX.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dis astranagant posted:

Battle Grid finally shuts up and takes our money in 2 days

:woop:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Another Competence & Content of sorts update for Remedium: Sentinels

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2244480/view/3681175932901336041

quote:

Expanded Bestiary:
The in-game Bestiary has undergone a comprehensive update, providing players with even more detailed information about the captivating creatures that inhabit this fantastical realm. Study their strengths and weaknesses to gain a strategic edge in your battles.

New Weapons:
Introducing two powerful new weapons: Decoy and Chain. With the Decoy, players can now manipulate enemy attention, opening up new tactical possibilities. The Chain weapon offers a devastating melee option, empowering players to unleash chaos upon their adversaries.

Unique Weapons for Golems:
The Percussor and Saw blades have been transformed into unique weapons exclusive to their respective golems. Each golem now possesses a specialized arsenal, reflecting their distinctive playstyles and strengths. Master these new weapons to unleash the true potential of your golem.

Balancing and Difficulty:
To ensure a captivating gameplay experience, the experience and difficulty levels have been meticulously rebalanced. Brace yourself for a well-tuned challenge that caters to both seasoned veterans and newcomers. Prepare for intense battles that will push your skills to the limit.

Level Difficulty Icons:
We've added intuitive difficulty icons to each level, providing players with a clearer understanding of the challenges that lie ahead. Choose your path wisely and conquer the increasingly demanding encounters.

Enhanced Golem Statistics:
Delve into the mechanics of your golems with the newly added stat feature. Monitor crucial attributes such as strength, speed, and resilience to optimize your golem's performance and dominate the battlefield.

In response to player feedback, the upgrade screen has been streamlined for a smoother experience. When an upgrade option is unavailable, players will now receive gold instead of being presented with inaccessible menus. Use this gold to further empower your golems and expand your arsenal.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Went and grabbed Soulstone Survivors for the update/sale. Been busy recently, but looking forward to running around and surviving more soon.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jossar posted:

Went and grabbed Soulstone Survivors for the update/sale. Been busy recently, but looking forward to running around and surviving more soon.

It’s vastly improved with the addition of auto aim and the few balance passes it’s been given!

Chaos golems also seem very OP right now bordering on broken, like melting 10 million+ HP bosses in seconds on curse 6. Would recommend if you’re stuck and want to knock out those last few difficulties easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

yeah the necromancer's skellies are also very broken, but the golems are on another level lol

I tried pretty much every recommended auto shooter I've seen here and so far my favorites have been:

Boneraiser Minions - man, what a complete package. The game that keeps on giving. Can't recommend it enough.
Army of Ruin - pleasantly surprised with this one, lots of stuff to unlock and the challenge system gives you a good idea of what to do next to unlock stuff. Turbo mode feels like a must though. Seems like it's close to its 1.0 launch,
Soulstone Survivors - I think I prefer AoR a bit more atm but the sheer variety and potential of SS if they accomplish all they've set out on the roadmap will be astonishing. That said the visual effects can feel a bit excessive and I'd rather die due to an unseen attack indicator than go full transparency mode. Very franctic, even for the genre. I like how the new ascendancies are going even harder into making the classes different. A tad grindy though
Halls of Torment - still a bit early content-wise but the aesthetic is 100% my jam
20 Minutes Till Dawn - very little content in comparison to the rest of the genre but the reload system, the sound and the limited color palette really make up for it. Can't wait to see what the next big update looks like.

Rogue Genesia was also very fun, I like the sorta-FF spritework but part of the appeal of these games is the wide variety of starting characters and sadly Genesia has very little to offer in that regard. Nails the weapon upgrade absurdity of VS though!

As for unreleased games I want to try, Battle Grid seems very promising! I like how they combined auto battlers with auto shooters :v:

I also like how a lot of these games have much shorter runs than VS' 30 min runs, which is hilarious to say when people used to say the same thing about VS in comparison to other roguelikes.