Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yeah ok. It is officially my favourite superhero movie of all time and frankly the only one I can see dethroning is beyond coming out in March.

I lost my poo poo in theatre seeing MCU prowler. just all in all the cameos and poo poo. I see why people are calling it a gwen movie. I honestly cannot loving wait til March. I also sayin' that 42-Miles is def having a face turn next movie. calling it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Sockser posted:

I think the core of the third film is going to be that Miles can’t have a canon event if he himself isn’t canon

E:
saw 60s Spidey and Spectacular Spidey, obviously, but no 90s Spidey?

I think the canon event stuff is just self-justifying garbage. For example, Miguel's story about "Spiderman supposed to not have a family and that destroys the universe" is bullshit because we know that B Parker did actually successfully have a kid.

I think the Spiders are connected according to canon events because of the collider, which was set up to look for similar universes to find Kingpin's family.

Also the idea of Miles being the original anomaly is wrong, because surely it is Spot, for making the portal that brought in that spider in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The spider itself is the anomaly more so than Miles, but it died and he has some of its anomalous DNA.

Also nobody comments on Miguel saying all this about no families next to his pregnant second in command.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 4, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fangz posted:

I think the canon event stuff is just self-justifying garbage. For example, Miguel's story about "Spiderman supposed to not have a family and that destroys the universe" is bullshit because we know that B Parker did actually successfully have a kid.

I think the Spiders are connected according to canon events because of the collider, which was set up to look for similar universes to find Kingpin's family.

Also the idea of Miles being the original anomaly is wrong, because surely it is Spot, for making the portal that brought in that spider in the first place.

As I said, I think the twist is gonna be that Miguel being an anomaly had nothing to do with his family's world imploding, but him choosing to abdicate his responsibility and not be Spider-Man there meant that Doc Ock/Kingpin/some 2099 villain was able to succeed in turning their collider on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's definitely going to be some kind of reveal there, we saw just enough that there's bound to be more.

Even if not though, we've seen that kind of motivation before. He failed, and if Miles succeeds then in his mind, that means he did something wrong, because being Spider-Man is all about absorbing way too much responsibility. He'll fight to stop Miles, but eventually he'll be won over by the relentless optimism and the Spider Society pulls a Kobiashi Maru and saves the day

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This movie was incredible. Empire Strikes Back to New Hope level good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Can we all agree that having every single universe's J Jonah Jameson be J. K. Simmons is how it should be? That is the true universal constant

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

loved Across The Spiderverse, even the plot was overstuffed it never felt long or dragging.

Also I had a thought last night;

How do you have your cake and eat it too? Two cakes.

How do you defeat The Spot and save your dad? Two Miles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I’m wondering if (ATSV spoilers)aside from the Spider being meant to bite Earth-42 Miles, it turns out that there was a first spider that rather than biting Peter Parker, actually bit Cindy Moon, who’s been hiding in her bunker for the last 10 years and that’s why the world (or at least New York) went to hell. It’s also presumably why that world’s Alchemax made superspiders instead of a supercollider, because Fisk never lost his family in that world. It seems odd that everyone else would be the same but the supervillains would only show up after Miles theoretically gets bitten.

I wonder if part of ATSV is going to be Miles getting Cindy out of her bunker and mentoring her into being the hero Earth-42 needs. I suppose it’s much more likely they’ll focus on the two Mileses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can we all agree that having every single universe's J Jonah Jameson be J. K. Simmons is how it should be? That is the true universal constant

I was hoping they'd use Darin DePaul for one of them

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Was Miles really the one who threw the bagel?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Azubah posted:

Was Miles really the one who threw the bagel?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/spiderverse/status/1292143786890530816

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, but only because Ed Asner is dead.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

We didn't get Supida-Man or Leopardon appearances, did we?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I was kind of surprised to see was when talking about this weekend's box office for Spiderverse was that the first one only made $35 million in its opening weekend.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
edit: wrong thread :saddowns:

On topic: everyone's going nuts about the incomparable animation in ATSV, and rightly so, but a lot of props also has to go to the music, not only the licensed songs but also the soundtrack by Daniel Pemberton. In the same way that the animation here elevated the story and characters to such heights, I also can't remember the last film that was so well-served by its music.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 4, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

With AtSV's villain, I can't help but shake a feeling like somebody watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 and figured, "There is a skeleton of a good idea in Electro, but it needs a lot of work." Spot has certain parallels with Electro, but it feels like just a better-written take on him. He's a low-level scientist loser who had a brief run-in with Spider-Man that he overestimated the importance of. Then after becoming a super-powered freak, his reunion with Spider-Man has him feeling inadequate and disregarded, only fueling his mania until he becomes obsessed with power and revenge.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

muscles like this! posted:

Something I was kind of surprised to see was when talking about this weekend's box office for Spiderverse was that the first one only made $35 million in its opening weekend.

I think ItSV had a lot of staying power after the opening weekend, a lot of people (including me) were barely aware of it before it came out, but then word of mouth got folks in a month after it was released.

Quick check of the domestic numbers, ItSV made $35 opening, $190 gross, so under 20% on opening weekend. Spider-Man 3 made $260 opening, $804 gross, so around 30% opening weekend.

Also, holy poo poo No Way Home made almost 2 bil worldwide.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want AtSV to make a billion dollars a)because it's good and b) because it's so unapologetically "woke" and its always funny watching the usual suspects sputter when something like that does well

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gavok posted:

With AtSV's villain, I can't help but shake a feeling like somebody watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 and figured, "There is a skeleton of a good idea in Electro, but it needs a lot of work." Spot has certain parallels with Electro, but it feels like just a better-written take on him. He's a low-level scientist loser who had a brief run-in with Spider-Man that he overestimated the importance of. Then after becoming a super-powered freak, his reunion with Spider-Man has him feeling inadequate and disregarded, only fueling his mania until he becomes obsessed with power and revenge.

I feel like this is just a pretty common Spider-Man/comic book villain trope tho, not necessarily specific to these two guys

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kiminewt posted:

We were leaving the Spider-verse movie like "who the gently caress would want to see a live action comic book movie after this?"

Just got home from AtSV and yeah totally agree. No Way Home (and Multiverse of Madness too as long as we're talking depictions of comic multiverses) is a joke compared to this (or ItSV).

As far as all the cameos/references, honestly seeing Spectacular Spider-Man escape copyright hell made me feel more joy than seeing Don Glover Prowler

Binary Badger posted:

We didn't get Supida-Man or Leopardon appearances, did we?

No but when Peni Parker had her 2-second appearance and SP//DR looked more like the original Eva design I was very pleased

I'm sure this is one of those where there are gonna be (well, there already are I'm sure, but there's gonna be more) YouTube videos of people doing frame-by-frame analysis on "Name That Spider" for weeks though I like the editorial boxes popping up everywhere for some.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 5, 2023

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 5, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

For the same reason black teenage boys enjoy a lot of movies starring middle aged white men?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

…F-Family?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Because they are both really loving good movies?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Into The Spider-Verse has apparently been very popular on streaming.

I don't know why I, a 30-something white guy, is so invested in a story about a black teenage Spider-Man but I am so here for it.

Extremely normal goon thing to think it’s somehow weird to relate to people who don’t outwardly resemble yourself.

Do you just not watch a lot of movies and tv or

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if there's something universal to a well told tale of the emotions people feel within the human experience? Impossible to say, as the character was black.

:goonsay:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I really wish Miles was around when I was a kid, because there were zero black characters I really connected to as a kid. Static could have been that, but I just couldn't get into the show beyond a few episodes here and there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Sometimes I remember that old CineD post for the first Spiderverse where a goon said they didn't understand why people like Miles because black people already have Will Smith in I Robot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Saw a thing somewhere about how Miles is becoming the de-facto Spider-man for kids and Peter Parker is less and less the primary Spider-Man

And I think that's cool.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
One insane detail that i just found out is in the first movie Miles is basically on his way to become like his uncle until he meets Peter and both their spider senses sync up. Miles spider sense is shown as green and purple and slowly turns to red and blue. If it wasn't for that meeting he would have become just like 42 Miles.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm not sure Aaron would have been that big of an influence without his dad dying, leaving a gap for him to step in and take Miles under his wing, not to mention the factor of Spider-Man existing in one world and not the other

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sockser posted:

Saw a thing somewhere about how Miles is becoming the de-facto Spider-man for kids and Peter Parker is less and less the primary Spider-Man

And I think that's cool.

A lot of this is speculation on my part, but I think once Marvel realized the initial premise of the Ultimate universe (classic stories but without all the continuity weighing it down) had failed, Bendis felt the idea of introducing a new, young Spider-Man would work nicely especially with Peter being around in the prime universe for "adult" Spider-man stories

Except that Marvel had already spent so much energy trying to rewind the clock on Peter by then, ironically influenced by EARLY Ultimate Spider-Man where Peter is a contemporary teen, it ultimately it didn't quite come together as nicely as it should have.

Hopefully the movies can help codify the "Adult Spider-Man, Kid Spider-Man" dynamic that always should have been. And then hopefully Miles' comics will get better too, because it hasn't been great!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure this is one of those where there are gonna be (well, there already are I'm sure, but there's gonna be more) YouTube videos of people doing frame-by-frame analysis on "Name That Spider" for weeks though I like the editorial boxes popping up everywhere for some.

Screencrush has a pretty good breakdown of all the Spiders Mens, though I'm sure they've missed some.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
To be honest the fact that most of the comic stories featuring new and beloved characters like Spider-Gwen (apparently they tried to make her hero name Ghost Spider? Didn't seem to take), Miles, Ms Marvel, etc have been quite bad after their intro runs and occasional bits just proves that they are legit comic book greats, up there with the classic all timers because every character has loving awful runs making up the majority of their history with occasional good bits. The fact that these characters have reached that state so relatively quickly is just proof that they're good character concepts imo.

We just reap the benefits in terms of adaptations or being able to pick the good runs to read. God help the poor fuckers who feel compelled to buy physical comics still though, goddamn.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

We just reap the benefits in terms of adaptations or being able to pick the good runs to read. God help the poor fuckers who feel compelled to buy physical comics still though, goddamn.

they just killed Ms Marvel in the comics, in case you're wondering how well print is cashing in on other media

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghost Spider is Gwen’s alias in universe currently. She was Spider-Woman back when she was in her own universe.

Spider-Gwen was the name of her comic book, like how Detective Comics isn’t Batman’s name.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Not much of a secret identity if she's just called spider gwen

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I know the Ghost Spider thing is her in universe codename but when talking about her I've never heard anyone use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I know the Ghost Spider thing is her in universe codename but when talking about her I've never heard anyone use it.

Because it was only around like 3 years ago when she got that moniker. Compared to the previous runs of her being Spider-Woman, with the book being named Spider-Gwen.

And even the Ghost spider-book started off being called "Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider"