Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Equip

And No laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Thirty-One and Thirty-Two
Hard to believe we've been here in the Pit for over a month now. Over the course of this month, we have carved out for ourselves not only a home, but an identity. We are survivors, and we won't let anybody go wanting.

We have voted nearly unanimously to equip this man for his journey, with a sled and enough food to last him and his daughter a fortnight. Godspeed.

As he departs, another group of refugees arrives, over a third of them children. The scouts are sent back out to one of the camps that had been spotted yesterday.

Good use has been made of the Generator's overdrive switch when temperatures have fallen past what it can defend against normally. The engineers have discovered a way to bypass several redundant safeties to allow us to use the overdrive longer and more often with no additional risk.

In the morning, a lone voice evidences the highest city-wide discontent we've seen since the Londoners were an issue. It's nothing more than cynical grumbling for now, but I will need to keep an eye on the situation.

We saved everyone we could from the places we knew were still sheltering survivors.
God help the rest...

Another group returns to the city, again with children in tow. This is the final group the migrant waves knew the location of, but we've discovered additional camp sites since then that the scouts are investigating now.

The Generator isn't the only defense we have against the cold. Our heaters will keep buildings far warmer now, using just a bit more coal.

The camp is built around a large hole in the ice - it might be the impact crater of a meteorite. There's a block and tackle attached to the top of the steel framework built over a hole.

We searched the remains of the camp. This must have been some scientific operation dedicated to the research of whatever punched this hole in the ice. Now the place is deserted and there's nothing of value to be found here.

Camp Meteor is a bust, and though the scouts have spotted a couple of points of interest, they are not likely to yield much either.

A couple of huts made of corrugated steel stand on the rim of a large, bowl-shaped depression in the ice. No activity.

A few light snowcats with trailers. The vehicles aren't moving and are pointing in various directions. One trailer is lying on its side.

The scouts are sent off to this scattered convoy; perhaps they can salvage a steam core or two, though vehicles that light aren't typically equipped with them.

We have only one steam core left in stock now, and with the storm approaching it doesn't seem likely that our outpost at Tesla City can operate for much longer. I'm hoping they can stick around long enough that we can upgrade all of our coal mines to the latest advanced design.

As we approach the camp, we can see that its inhabitants are busy packing. They've dismantled a couple of huts to build improvised sledges.

"You're going the wrong way!" The scientists mistook us for refugees, but after we tell them about our city, they're nonplussed. "It's probably too close to the storm to withstand it. Well, you might consult Nansen on that, if you reach him in the south."
Their work here is done. We could convince them to join us so we could show them our city.

The scouts catch up to some scientists just as they're about to leave, and convince them to come back to the city and see for themselves how prepared we are for the storm.

It's getting more difficult to find the space to build new houses!

The convoy's vehicles have been damaged by heavy blows. The snow is trodden and stained with what seems like buckets of blood.

Inside damaged crawlers we found several dead bodies. Few of them are torn apart like they were partially eaten by some beasts. Polar bears, we think. We'll never know for sure what happened here. And there's nothing useful for us to salvage from this gruesome place.

While we believe most plants and animals have gone extinct across the globe, there are still a few left that are thriving. A sobering reminder that the frost and the storm aren't the only monsters who want to kill us out there.

Morale is still an issue. Every morning the faces I see on their way to work are set in a grimly resolute expression.

The coal mines might not all be upgraded in time for the Tesla City outpost to evacuate, so I've had the researchers look into improvements for the thumper as well. This design, unlike the mines, does not require a steam core, even with the upgrade.

The people living in this camp are packed and ready to go. All the tents are empty. They're leaving almost nothing behind.

A small group of scientists is finishing the loading of their supplies. They work efficiently, but in silence, looking somewhat dejected.
"We're mostly helping with the evacuations now," one of them tells us. "We used to study the Earth's magnetic field, but there are more important things to worry about now. Like survival."

Camp Compass, much like Vulcan, was packing up to leave just as our scouts arrived. This group of scientists was apparently easier to convince to come back home with us.

The first group of scientists reaches us at around the same time. After two thorough inspections, we get a tentative nod of approval - they're willing to wait out the storm here with us.

All that can be seen are dark, jagged rocks jutting out of the ice plain.

An Arctic hut surrounded by a tall wooden fence. No smoke, no movement - but people might still be sheltering inside.

There are several darker shadows in an ice wall. Probably cave entrances. We can't see any signs of a human presence.

A surprising number of potential sites to survey has been building up. Scout team one is dispatched to the nearest one, the jagged rocks.

It's hard to judge the crater's size from a distance. Its vastness only becomes apparent up close. The camp is empty.

The crater is fresh, with broken ice around the rim. We searched the camp for clues to the scientists' fate and found none.
Everything's in order, but not a perfect order. It looks like they went out to do something and didn't return. Maybe they tried to descend into the crater and got lost in the maze of broken ice, or got caught by a blizzard, or both?

From the convoy, the scouts made their way here, too late to discover what happened to the science team stationed here. They picked up some notebooks and journals that they weren't able to decipher on site, but will be looked over by our own researchers when they return.

The food supplies should keep us fed for at least a week.
Let's pray the storm subsides before then.

All that's left now to prepare for the storm is to recall our scouting and outpost teams. The brave souls still have a bit more work to do out there.

If the storm does end up being too much for us but we survive, we will likely have a great many frostbitten amputees in need of prosthetics. We've done some work to improve the Tesla Manufacturing design, just in case.

Our patrols and bulletins have not been doing enough to mitigate discontent. More extreme measures were needed to deal with the worst of the doomsayers.

More refugees. With the number of people we are still finding alive and well out in the Frostlands, I fear we will miss some and be unable to save everybody out there before time runs out.

Numerous frozen bodies lie on the cave floor. They must have run out of fuel for their stoves.

By the dead bodies we have found many crates filled with papers: a testimony of the extensive research dedicated to fluctuations of the Earth's magnetic field. It's too heavy to understand by our scouts and too heavy to bring it to the city.

Time runs out faster for some than others. These scientists froze to death before we could reach them, and their research will go to waste - the scouts can't figure out a way to get it out of the cave and onto their sleds.

As soon as they send our their final shipment, I order the outpost at Tesla City to evacuate. The storm nips at their heels - it has already swallowed several of the southernmost places we've surveyed, including the former outpost at the USS Prometheus.

Sir, a woman has come to plead with you. She wants more Food Rations, but the cooks say that she's already received her allowance.
"I beg you, Captain," the woman says in a trembling voice, "your men mean well, but they must've made a mistake. I need two rations, one for me and one for my sick child! Please!"

Perhaps inspired by the example of the father who set out two days ago, this mother has come to us requesting more food. We may acquiesce, or we may stick with the rules that have served us well so far.

How will we respond to the mother's request, and will we vote for a new law or continue without?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Two rations, no new rules

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
No Ration, no new laws Where would we even put new buildings?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What are the currently available law options again?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
We have over 3600 food so, we can probably spare the 2 food rations, let's give her the food. I wonder why she says she didn't get her meals?

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
Give her the rations- we’re not animals, after all. The worst that could happen is a hungry stomach is filled. No new laws!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Give her food and, though I pray we don't need it, Triage

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Synthbuttrange posted:

What are the currently available law options again?
Agitator, Pledge of Loyalty, Forceful Persuasion, House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Triage.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No new laws, give her some food

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Duelling law, food her up

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Give food
No new laws

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This is an annoying yes/no choice, why can't we send someone to see if she does have a sick kid and whether the kid got food or not?

Anyway. Give her the food, no new laws.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Yes food, No laws

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Food yes, we have plenty

Laws... none needed

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Veloxyll posted:

Give her food and, though I pray we don't need it, Triage

Agree

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
No preferential treatment, Triage.

We already have a law for providing extra rations for the sick.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
No extra food for the mother, and House of Pleasure for my vote. Sharing body heat is a great way to keep warm, you know.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Give her Food, and even though the game will try to shame us for it, House of Pleasure.

We don't need to do any means testing here, no sir.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Thirty-Three through Thirty-Five
Once again we have demonstrated ourselves to be a compassionate and accomodating society.

The mother with a sick child is given the extra food she asked for, and we will continue to rely only on the laws that have already been signed.

As far as research goes, we are nearing the end of the options available to us that will actually help in the short term.

The most advanced version of the wall drill requires another steam core, and so we will not be able to utilize this design unless we can re-establish our Tesla City outpost after the Storm passes.

If the Storm passes. We are as prepared as we can possibly be for its arrival, but there is no telling how long it will last for.

The surface looks like it's been fractured by the shock of an underground explosion. It appears there may have been an underground base here.

Ruins of the underground base reek of sulphur. It must've been a warm and sheltered place, but now exploring its depths is dangerous. Exploring the ruins, we found a briefcase signed by Nansen. It seems to contain some interesting blueprints.

Against all odds the scouts have stumbled upon what appears to have been some sort of research station, investigating the heat emanating from the centre of the Earth. They grab what looks to be some valuable research that was left behind and move on.

In the centre of the camp stands a sturdy Arctic hut big enough to house about a dozen people. But it's covered in snow and we can't see any signs of activity.

The scouts finally spotted a camp that matches the descriptions we've heard from the rescued scientists of Nansen's storm watch.

Sir, we investigated the discrepancies between the Raw Food use and output of the Cookhouses. It turns out that cooks are stealing food! People are furious.
We caught 1 thieves
[sic][/i]. They say they wanted to secure their families before the storm shuts down the food supply.[/i]

Ever since the reformed Londoners returned the food that was stolen during their treasonous campaign, there's still been a lingering question mark around our food supply. Now we know why - one of the cooks has been skimming off the top. In order to prevent a riot in these volatile times they have been removed from duty, and Guards are now posted at the cookhouses to ensure this will not happen again.

Though we've relied more on the wall drills for a long time, there are still a couple of old sawmills in active service around the perimeter of the city. By increasing their range we've also increased their effective lifespan; in addition, they now process the lumber faster using steam power, keeping the woodcutters warmer at the same time.

The first outpost team has returned home and is decomissioned. Thank you for your service, and enjoy your hard-earned rest at home.

This sturdy building could withstand a severe Arctic winter. It's crammed with sophisticated scientific equipment. Yet the camp seems to be abandoned.

We found a note left by Nansen and his coworkers: "The expected cold is hard to predict. It will be way below any temperature ever recorded on Earth. Gale force 10, as the jet stream seems to abate on descent. Afterwards the climate shall start improving slowly."
"We're moving towards this apocalyptic storm to confirm our predictions. Farewell, and may God protect you."

The fool - even the most experienced Arctic explorer alive doesn't stand a chance out there. The scouts hurry home, some more research in hand. Even if Nansen is still alive right now he won't be long enough for anyone to find and rescue him.

Scout team two returns home and stands down. The city thanks you for your long and worthy service.

The coal mines and thumper aren't the only source of fuel for the Generator, and we'll need as much of it as we can get, so the furnace in the charcoal kiln gets some upgrades.

The fence that surrounds the Arctic hut has been destroyed, shattered as if a pack of wild animals went through it.

Scientists who built this station designed it to withstand the Arctic climate, but they clearly underestimated the fierce Arctic fauna. The doors and windows have been bashed in by heavy blows, letting inside the cold and snow. Scientific and life support equipment froze and burst, dooming the base and its inhabitants.

The exploration of the final point of interest in the Frostlands ends in disappointment, but the scouts salvage what they can and turn for home. I wonder if the polar bears will find a way to survive the Storm?

Sir, a dozen or so people got drunk and took to the streets. They were chasing after women, yelling that we should have some fun before the storm kills us all. What should we do with them?

There's been a small but vocal minority voting to legalize a house of pleasure for the last several votes. Today some of them went out and tried to "share some warmth," but the Guards rounded them up and took them home to sober up - after a quick snow bath to cool their heads.

The infirmaries are all staffed by automatons, and we have no more steam cores to build any more, so neither of these two research options are currently valuable to us. Again, we are researching these in the hopes that we will survive to make use of them.

These ones, on the other hand, will never be needed; steam hubs give us better coverage while requiring less coal. The only reason that these were researched at all is that we had literally nothing else left to research. Even the blueprints we received from our returning scouts didn't reveal anything we didn't already know.

There are no further avenues of research to explore. We have done as much as we can to improve our odds of survival, and then some.

The people you saved barely managed to reach the city in time. At least we have a critical supply of food ready. There's not much time left - we should use it to prepare whatever else we can. After the storm hits, there'll be nothing we can do but wait it out.

Everybody's home now. Six hundred and ninety-two of us, huddled up and awaiting the worst, knowing we have done everything we can to maximize our odds of survival.

All that's left is the damned waiting. We can see the Storm now, even without the Beacon; the stormclouds loom over the edge of the Pit like the Jötnar of legend.

A large group of people congregated by the Generator this morning, offering prayers to Jehovah, the Æsir, and the Generator itself. Though Faith has not been a significant part of our culture here, I suppose everyone has been keeping it in their own ways.

Sir, the people employed at this Gathering Post refused to work today. They intend to spend the entire shift praying.
"We've been working like madmen, sir, but there's only so much we can do to prepare. Let's face it, this is the end of the world. Through prayer we can find the hope of deliverance, whatever happens.

In fact, some of the workers have been so overtaken with fervour that they've requested the entire day off to pray.

How will we respond to the workers' request, and will we vote for a new law or continue without?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Let them pray
No new laws

Let's bring this one home folks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05evHurnfM&t=30s

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I haven't been keeping up with posting the music links, but do yourself a favour and have a listen to Into the Storm as we prepare for our darkest days. I can't stress enough how incredible of a job Piotr Musiał did on this soundtrack!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prayer and no new laws I think we are capped on coal, so it is their lucky day.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Let them pray I say.

House of Pleasure, please? How can it hurt now?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

House of Pleasure. It's time for the Storm Orgy.

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
Let them pray and let them play. (House of pleasure)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

painedforever posted:

Let them pray I say.

House of Pleasure, please? How can it hurt now?

This

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Let them pray.
House of Pleasure.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Remalle posted:

I haven't been keeping up with posting the music links, but do yourself a favour and have a listen to Into the Storm as we prepare for our darkest days. I can't stress enough how incredible of a job Piotr Musiał did on this soundtrack!

Seconding.

And no laws

I'm not voting on the decisions since I it's the endgame and I know the consequences of each.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Let them pray for mercy's sake; no new laws.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Let them pray, no new laws

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

littleratbastard posted:

Let them pray and let them play. (House of pleasure)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Let them pray and no new laws

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Pray for the best, but keep Triage ready for the worst.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 5, 2023

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Pray, no new laws.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Let them Pray.
We need no other laws.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Let them pray, no new laws

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Nothing with with letting them pray. No New Laws, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

No new laws, let them pray.