Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Isentropy posted:

I’ve met a few Indian FBI OPP crime stats guys in my professional life, and in the Brampton/Sauga/Etobicoke etc black people and brown people don’t really tend to mix in their personal lives

although if those people were from Guyana or Trinidad originally let’s just say the anti black racism is way way older than before their family ever emigrated to Canada

in my experience, in brampton, in the 90s, there was a sort of social stratification that happened as we went through middle school into high school where a lot of the south asian and black people i hung out with slowly stopped hanging out with each other by the time we graduated. i don't know the reason behind it, just an observation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

infernal machines posted:

turns out people aren't just inherently less lovely because their parents came from somewhere else. this lesson should be fairly obvious to a nation like canada

I was making a joke about how Indian guys from the Toronto suburbs like to use the n word and call eachother "yutes" and stuff, it doesn't have to be that serious

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

oh, right, people in costumes are reading story books to children. this too is an unprecedented assault on common decency for reasons no one who believes such a thing is willing to unpack

Mr Dressup made me gay, by dressing up as a fireman

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So worried about drag queens meanwhile their priests are still raping children.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/sexual-assault-first-nation-1.6859241

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

well you see it's different because uhhhhh..........

Meanwhile the Niagra Groomer Catholic Trustee is comparing the pride flag to that of the nazis.

Can we get rid of the catholic school board already?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

well you see it's different because uhhhhh..........

Meanwhile the Niagra Groomer Catholic Trustee is comparing the pride flag to that of the nazis.

Nice to see local news hit the thread lol

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Puppy Burner posted:

Nice to see local news hit the thread lol

*Laughs in Ottawa Native*

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Hellequin posted:

Heeey, on the topic of Ontario being secretly hella loving racist, the Hamilton Spectator just launched a new series on the growing local neo-Nazi movements in Southern Ontario.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-region/2023/05/30/ontario-hate-crimes-rising-part-one.html

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-region/2023/05/29/hamilton-neo-nazis.html

Also never forget that London was for many years the location for the biggest and most important neo-Nazi record label in the world, Resistance Records, or that there was a pretty crazy riot outside Sneaky Dee's in Toronto after RaHoWa played a nearby show back in '93. In some ways it's worse here than in parts of the U.S.

Death By The Blues posted:

Like if you are not white and you were born and raised in the GTA you have had heard stories about basically every white person dipping out to go further east or up to Barrie or somewhere else in cottage country as POC slowly expand out. My dad once basically got the your kind not welcomed here rant from an old white dude in Stirling Ontario.

E: Also, the amount of POC I do encounter who have some sort of colonizer supremacy mentality/they must be doing something right is just so depressing. Their is a longer thread to be had about insecurities, expectations and manhood in the GTA where every marker of being an adult male (owning a home, stable job, having a child etc..) are increasingly out of the grasp of alot of POC millennial. While their white counterparts tend to do better in this regard which also plays in desirability and why the GTA has had the most incel attacks in the world in terms of cities.

alla this poo poo is going to just get worse as living a decent life becomes unaffordable

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Death By The Blues posted:

While their white counterparts tend to do better in this regard which also plays in desirability and why the GTA has had the most incel attacks in the world in terms of cities.

Find me the young people of any colour who are buying houses in Toronto.

Oxyclean posted:

It's enshrined in this province because people died in a century of sectarian strife and violent riots to have our educational system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

do you want me to go take some pictures or something?

they exist, even if it's their parent's money

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It's enshrined in this province because people died in a century of sectarian strife and violent riots to have our educational system.

do you want me to go take some pictures or something?

they exist, even if it's their parent's money

https://globalnews.ca/news/2968607/new-numbers-show-multi-million-dollar-homes-in-vancouver-bought-by-low-income-buyers/

It's been an issue for over a decade now.

Eby did a search of 250 land titles and found that 32 of west side properties — worth a total of more than $107 million — were owned by people in professions with relatively low incomes. He pointed to a $2.3-million home owned by a waitress.

I'm sure Toronto is the same.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

well if it's not illegal it's okay

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Mr Dressup made me gay, by dressing up as a fireman

Hows your Fred Penner's Place?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

They absolutely do exist.

The other thing that drives a divide between cultural line is that white people tend to kick their kids out as soon as their 18 and POC tend to have multi generational families where the kids don't leave the house till they are married. However, can't really date or marry if you live at home with your parents so just kind of stuck in an increasingly expensive cycle.

E: re-reading that post I know a ton more of white people that own housing in particular my industry where its who you know and if its a generational job and your parents are the ones who grandfathered you in, its much easier to buy a house. But yea parents also help either with the initial deposit or co-sign

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Wheeee posted:

american examples give permission to our own homegrown psycho conservatives to become more open with their poo poo

Fwiw this, but expanded to included emboldened pro-lifers too, is why I don't see Poilievre winning even a minority.

They're all looking at the States and thinking "why not here too?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a valid question, and i'm becoming less certain that the remainder of canadians would stop them

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

the idea of pierre being a prime minister on the global stage embarrasses me more than erin o toole would've good lord conservatives sure are loving cringe

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

*insert photos of Trudeau in India or in blackface*

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

it's a valid question, and i'm becoming less certain that the remainder of canadians would stop them

The mainline Protestant churches withdrew from cultural life in the 60's - 70's, so wherever the push comes from it can't be religious.

Is there a secular reactionary argument against abortion? Other than talking about white babies and birthrates, which I think is still too brazen for them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

eXXon posted:

*insert photos of Trudeau in India or in blackface*

My (Indian) family, immediate and extended, overwhelmingly saw the India thing as positive, not negative.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

My (Indian) family, immediate and extended, overwhelmingly saw the India thing as positive, not negative.

I definitely also heard this, I think a lot of folks just really liked that he engaged with their culture in some fashion, and wasn't just another white guy in a suit. I certainly can't see it as anything more than a theatre kid playing dress-up though.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you may not like it, but that is what peak political performance looks like

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

flashy_mcflash posted:

trudeau doesn’t seem to be an embarrassment on the international stage to anyone except some canadians and the gop

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's been getting noticeably vocally lovely around here so I'm not surprised by this development but that they've gotten this far along and have ties to American fundamentalists is concerning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/fundamentalist-christian-movement-1.6793677

quote:

Liberty Coalition Canada, a conservative Christian advocacy group, is trying to raise $1.3 million to recruit hundreds of Christian politicians and campaign staff to run at all levels of government.

In a document marked "please keep classified" that was obtained by CBC News, the group says its ultimate goal is "the most powerful political disruption in Canadian history."

Working alongside Liberty Coalition Canada are dozens of churches across the country, a number of small media outlets and at least one well-funded think-tank.

While theological and political differences exist among them, many supporters of this movement share a vocal opposition to LGBTQ rights and other social justice causes.

Several Canadian pastors in the movement also have ties to a controversial branch of evangelical Christianity in the U.S. known as reconstructionism.

Scholars say reconstructionist ideals — often linked to Christian nationalism, the idea that the United States is a Christian country — are influencing how some Canadian evangelicals are responding to issues like legalized abortion, same-sex marriage and added protections for gender minorities.

A brief note of levity in an otherwise godawful news story:

quote:

The internal Liberty Coalition document obtained by CBC News suggests it is entertaining even grander ambitions for the future.

"Over the next few years, I want to systematically manufacture 10,000 new Christian political candidates across Canada," says the document, which was written by Michael Clark, director of advocacy for the Liberty Coalition.

Clark also writes that he wants to align Canada's laws with "biblical principles."

The document was available to the roughly 500 participants of a religious conference at Harvest Bible Church in Windsor, Ont., last December.

Liberty Coalition Canada was among several groups that set up booths in the exhibitors hall at the conference.

Unaware he was speaking with a CBC News journalist, an individual at its booth handed over a copy of the document, saying it was "a plan to help Christians infiltrate the political system."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What the gently caress is reconstructionism?

Forgive me, but bring back the mainline Prods, rather than the snake handlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDI0sEkcO4s

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
oh great I thought for sure Gilead was going to happen south of the border first

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pyrtanis posted:

oh great I thought for sure Gilead was going to happen south of the border first

I guess the main difference is that the people running Gilead didn't reveal themselves to be complete idiots until after they took power.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

What the gently caress is reconstructionism?

Forgive me, but bring back the mainline Prods, rather than the snake handlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDI0sEkcO4s

theocratic government with pretend libertarian markets

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So apparently Canada is on fire like Australia was a couple eyars back.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

MonsieurChoc posted:

So apparently Canada is on fire like Australia was a couple eyars back.

I'm sitting in BC sweating my rear end off because if the rest of Canada is already this on fire this early in the year holy poo poo what does this mean for us

Also because it's really hot today

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
we've hit the "air quality alerts for wildfire smoke drifting in from other provinces" stage

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Alberta is doing climate equalization

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Quebec and Alberta are yet again unlikely bedfellows in their commitment to spewing smoke into the rest of Canada until their demands are met.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Christ, how many more years we got? This is dire.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it's pretty unnerving checking my weather app and it just says SMOKE lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yellowcar posted:

it's pretty unnerving checking my weather app and it just says SMOKE lol

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

:350:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

neat

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Virtual Russian posted:

Christ, how many more years we got? This is dire.

I dunno man. poo poo's scary and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
get that respirator on if you're outside, especially if exercising. made a huge difference this past week in flaming nova scotia