Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Do I really need to go find all the Lillith statues. I think I've found like 5 and I'm in endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dressed to Kill
Jul 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Not a fan of how much busy work the game has. You have to rep grind, you have to find 160 statues around the world, if you want to roll gear you have to wait for a helltide to spawn go and grind on normal mobs and click all of the clickables, and maybe find a mini-boss.

Why is sacred gear a thing? It completely invalidates all non-sacred items that drop. I played all day Sunday and didn't get a single upgrade - which is nuts for day 3 in an ARPG. Sure I had better rolled legendary aspects drop, but I didn't get any better rolled sacred drops to put them on, and helltides are extremely restrictive at stopping you from rolling stats on gear - on top of the 10x gold cost rolling a second time. When I get to world tier 4, everything below Ancestral becomes useless?

Ancient Legendaries and then Primal Ancient Legendaries were such a big mistake in D3 and contributed so much to the inflated numbers, so its odd to see them launch with that system in place.

All I want to do is push nightmare dungeons, but the game saddles you with so much boring busy work.

Blizzard wants you buying cosmetics and you won't do that if its like D3 where you're done with everything in 3 days.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hashy posted:

Do I really need to go find all the Lillith statues. I think I've found like 5 and I'm in endgame

When I finish the campaign one of the things I'm going to do is find a guide for the ones I'm missing. They are hidden in slightly out of the way areas or hidden with clever use of the camera. Finding them feels like a reward, but I also want max bonuses on my new characters.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hashy posted:

i dont care for pixel hunts so i just opened a map up on my second screen and did a one-through to get them. No shame here.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Good news is that your Lilith altar progress will apparently carry over to seasonal characters. So it's a grind you literally only ever have to do once.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There's no reasonable reason to try to find all of the altars on your own lmao

There are plenty of benefits for getting altars but it's laughable to think anyone's trying to get all of them without checking an external map unless they've got brain damage.

Let me be clear: I finished getting all of the altars last night.

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 5, 2023

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Hashy posted:

It is about ~+75 to each stat, some max obols, and a few paragon points, so you are going to want to do them - just follow a map online.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pylons posted:

I'm doing a tornado build (not a lightning one) but some of the cool stuff I've found makes the Earthen Might keystone passive apply to storm skills as well. And then I went all in on buffing crit damage and if I get lucky (or just hit someone enough) my tornadoes do guaranteed crits for a few seconds and they loving rip through poo poo.

It just feels impossible to prioritize Crit, because it's just like "Well I hope I find a good Rare" :shrug: (same could be said for trying to prioritize anything really). So it feels like a huge waste to put points into Passives that give meager Crit Chance / Damage when my base is like 5% Crit. Woop-dee-doo.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...their-locations

Skimming this site, seems to be a more complete list of item-based Aspects than I found the other day (not shocking) and there are a few decent sounding ones in there, but yea all I can do is hope a good item drops?

Like, 20 Aspects from Dungeons:

* 9 Shapeshift related
* 3 Earth Magic (1 is Defensive, 1 is Crit focused, 1 is good)
* 4 Storm Magic (3 are decent, 1 is actually a buff to Shapeshifting skills lol)
* 4 more general, and none appeal / apply to me.

So I've got a grand total of 4 Dungeons worth running?

1) Lucky Hit: Wind Shear has up to a [5-10]% chance to fully restore your Spirit.
2) Hurricane damage is increased by [7.0-15.0%] each second while active.
3) Lucky Hit: Up to a [10-20%] chance when dealing Lightning damage to overload the target for 3 seconds, causing any direct damage you deal to them to pulse [X] additional damage to surrounding enemies.
4) Damage from Earth skills Slow enemies hit by [25-50]% for 5 seconds.

On the Item front, out of 18 items 5 are at least "Interesting" and 2 of those are Good:
1) Lightning Storm Critical Strikes spawn 3 Dancing Bolts that seek enemies in the area dealing [X] Lightning damage.
2) When the Nature's Fury Key Passive triggers a free Skill, your non Ultimate Cooldowns of the opposite type are reduced by [4-8] seconds.

I feel like I should be focusing on damage VS Slowed / Controlled enemies, but as I said at the start of the post it's impossible to actually chase any stats lol. I dunno, I just... I want to like the game, I paid good money for it, but the absolute lack of a sense of progression kills me. I just feel like I'm running around doing the same thing for the last 10 levels with nothing changing and nothing to look forward to now that I've got all my skills maxed and just grabbing Passives. Side quests aren't interesting in the slightest, so it's just the main quest to do :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's a lot of stuff in D4 that makes me think everyone at Blizzard played Lost Ark and said "hey let's do that except make it diabloey" and the statue collect-a-thon is definitely one of them. The quests that have you clicking on various things in a room while your character fiddles with them or running back and forth to talk to two people across the world from one another also reminds me a lot of what it was like rushing through the Lost Ark campaign to get to the endgame stuff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If aspects were skills instead of an enchantment system, it would make the skill tree and unique items more interesting.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I mean "hope to get good drops" is kind of the genre. You hope for stuff to improve your build and if it drops, great! Maybe on the way there you start getting gear for another build. Crit stuff not dropping? Maybe overpower stuff did. You could make a build with overpower damage.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

There's a lot of stuff in D4 that makes me think everyone at Blizzard played Lost Ark and said "hey let's do that except make it diabloey" and the statue collect-a-thon is definitely one of them. The quests that have you clicking on various things in a room while your character fiddles with them or running back and forth to talk to two people across the world from one another also reminds me a lot of what it was like rushing through the Lost Ark campaign to get to the endgame stuff.

Yeah alot of the campaign quests are time killing filler run around the room clicking poo poo follow some dude through an empty zone etc. Act one seemed better but maybe it was the freshness.

I mash escape for everything so I don't know what is going on in the story but I think I'm almost to diablo.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hashy posted:

Why did you all think I meant go find them without a map? Finding them WITH a map sounds tedious enough to want to just not launch Diablo 4 again. why is character power tied to this

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Clocks posted:

Good news is that your Lilith altar progress will apparently carry over to seasonal characters. So it's a grind you literally only ever have to do once.

is there a page that lists what all carries over to seasons?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pylons posted:

I mean "hope to get good drops" is kind of the genre. You hope for stuff to improve your build and if it drops, great! Maybe on the way there you start getting gear for another build. Crit stuff not dropping? Maybe overpower stuff did. You could make a build with overpower damage.

I mean, yes OK that is ARPGs in a nutshell, but that's why you either allow your players to Trade items or go Last Epoch's route and just let them craft explicitly what they want if there is no trading. The idea of "Well constantly respec your poo poo to fit with the items that are dropping" sounds immensely tedious. It feels like twice in a row I've just picked a weak build, and there's literally nothing I can do other than re-roll or re-spec.

Just frustrated feeling :(

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Imagining if streaming was around back in the Diablo 2 days and somebody watched a top player do Pindle runs and declared that yeah, this game is shallow as gently caress.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Lol I am seeing so many people with the $28 spiky Necromancer armor. Blizzard is going to very quickly realize that the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo about "grounded/realistic fashion" and just want cool looking poo poo. Nobody is going to buy any of the generic looking cash shop sets.

Good. Give me the flashy stuff :getin:

A lot of the sets for sale are just slight reskins of other ones in-game. I wanted the plague doctor mask for rogue really bad but was pleasantly surprised to see a slightly-different version drop in-game.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Finished campaign last night, I am away from my house so I did 90% of it on my steam deck. A++ would steam deck again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

pmchem posted:

No it's just bits and pieces of info right now. Pretty sure it's campaign completion, altars, and (I assume) transmogs.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

pmchem posted:

I don't think they have revealed that. This is the only source I could find re: Altars of Lilith specifically: https://gamerdigest.com/diablo-4-altar-of-lilith-progress-seasons/

If I had to guess I bet they will lock the altar bonuses behind certain level gates so that you don't get a massive pile of stats and points at the start of a fresh season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What percentage of the player base, would you guess, is playing early release vs. how many are waiting til tomorrow? Very small like 5% or closer to half?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speaking of seasons, this is a dumb question but I never really engaged with seasons in Diablo 3. Is there a reason to do them as a casual player other than having a reason to roll a new character? I always took one look at the leader board mechanic and went "yeah I don't think it's worth it to roll a toon all so I can be #99999999999 on this list"

zoux posted:

What percentage of the player base, would you guess, is playing early release vs. how many are waiting til tomorrow? Very small like 5% or closer to half?

In this sense its more of a question of "what percentage of players will pay $15 extra to get in a few days early" and I'd guess maybe 20%? Diablo is an established brand so there are a lot of hard-core players that probably will be jumping in early. But I wouldn't expect to be able to log in tomorrow.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 5, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Speaking of seasons, this is a dumb question but I never really engaged with seasons in Diablo 3. Is there a reason to do them as a casual player other than having a reason to roll a new character? I always took one look at the leader board mechanic and went "yeah I don't think it's worth it to roll a toon all so I can be #99999999999 on this list"

Haedrig's gift in Diablo 3 was a pretty fun excuse just to jump back in for a season. You complete some fairly straightforward tasks and they give you a class set that'd rotate through the seasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

If it's like D3, for me it's because I like messing around with different builds and classes they introduced powerful new sets that completely change class balances. It's just kind of a way to reset it so you can play through it again while still getting progression dopamine. I never got very high, maybe GR50 or so, but it's just playing more diablo, there is no part of any of these games ever where you aren't killing guys for a chance at rare gear.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

zoux posted:

I think it's actually tonight for the US:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2023/06/02/heres-the-exact-time-diablo-4-early-access-begins-and-how-to-play/?sh=5ef68375b2e4 posted:

The full global launch of Diablo IV will take place on June 5th and 6th depending on your region, and mirrors the exact same times as Early Access:

June 5th @ 4pm PDT
June 5th @ 7pm EDT
June 5th @ 8pm BRT
June 6th @ 12am BST
June 6th @ 1am CEST
June 6th @ 8am KST
June 6th @ 9am AEST
June 6th @ 11am NZST

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm level 35 and just hit Act II (I think) because I'm doing so many side quests. Someone earlier mentioned I'll stop getting experience from the MSQ once I hit 50? Don't want to mess up leveling. Playing on WT1.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The recent D3 season also added an extra unique power system. Early D3 seasons also debuted the expansion content they turned into free updates. Ideally D4 will go wild and add new content each season like world bosses and zones and more Evils to fight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doomykins posted:

The recent D3 season also added an extra unique power system. Early D3 seasons also debuted the expansion content they turned into free updates. Ideally D4 will go wild and add new content each season like world bosses and zones and more Evils to fight.

If they're smart they'll do the PoE thing where they add a little mechanic each season, and if they're smarter they won't leave those mechanics in forever so you don't have to learn 15 different systems when you hit endgame.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
everybody loves bloat

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Doomykins posted:

For D4 in particular you have to farm some of the explorable stuff like extra stats, skill points, and just playing the game for better gear. You can't level scale past the enemies but you can power scale past them.

So I dunno how much D4 will allow you to do so, especially early on, but Hardcore theory is pretty uniform across most ARPGs.

1) Learn what is actually dangerous. If the game lets you do prep, do it. If there's a boss who is a REAL fucker with a dangerous damage spike that annihilates on mistakes then practice in softcore. Think fighting Big Belial underleveled with his smash patterns in Diablo 3, or Izual freezing you. If Diablo puts you in a bone cage in D2 and uses lightning breath, is your plan "hope I survive?" If the Butcher kicks the door open in a dungeon, do you have a reaction to that? Also be aware of mobs that hit harder than their "perfectly even" scaling with you. I was finishing up the 2nd expac of Grim Dawn, highest difficulty HC, when I almost lost the run to a penultimate boss whose shtick is "hits like a truck, no, more than anyone else with this shtick." Father Kymon I think, who did truckloads of fire/physical damage at least, in a game where you can target and overbuff defensives coordinated to the damage types of the enemy. Speaking of Grim Dawn:

1a) Know how to teleport safely out of the situation, if the game will let you. Setting a portal ahead of time, running to the door, IF you can do those, etc. Know how to fast quit out, if you're not cool enough to take deaths on the chin. :cool: I have paused GD and stared at my screen for a minute planning out what I can do to save the imminent disaster happening on screen. I've never quit out and it worked out, thankfully.

2) Take safety skills/passives/buffs, or "Circuit Breakers." The idea is very simple: if you run into something that can hit you from 100 to 0-10 in a single hit, are you rolling dice or do you get a chance to react? A circuit breaker is a cheat death, or your fortified pool, or anything that'll trigger if you fall low and pause things, or at least stop the spike from 1-2 shotting you. Grim Dawn has loads of them and they're vital, just "heal when you drop under 66% max HP" or "get defensive for 10 seconds when you hit 40% max hp." Layering a few of these is real good, so don't neglect your defensive skills unless you plan to prepare and play perfectly.

Thanks. Yeah I'm generally comfortable with the high-level ideas for HC.

What I'm struggling with is mostly the level scaling - I don't seem to have an easy way to "play it safe". Defensive options on the skill tree are OK, but they're all pretty incremental and there doesn't seem to be "failsafe" like there was in D3 (There's actually an elixir that does this but I can't seem to find the mats?)

Level 26 at the moment - have definitely had some very close calls with some elites (bosses have been fine so far). Not sure it was a good idea to do this blind. If there's anything like D3 Belial (or D2 Durial) coming up I'm probably going to eat it...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Doomykins posted:

Imagining if streaming was around back in the Diablo 2 days and somebody watched a top player do Pindle runs and declared that yeah, this game is shallow as gently caress.

trying out a d2 build that accidentally picks the 50% of the skill trees that are literally unusable lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TyrantWD posted:

Not a fan of how much busy work the game has. You have to rep grind, you have to find 160 statues around the world, if you want to roll gear you have to wait for a helltide to spawn go and grind on normal mobs and click all of the clickables, and maybe find a mini-boss.

Why is sacred gear a thing? It completely invalidates all non-sacred items that drop. I played all day Sunday and didn't get a single upgrade - which is nuts for day 3 in an ARPG. Sure I had better rolled legendary aspects drop, but I didn't get any better rolled sacred drops to put them on, and helltides are extremely restrictive at stopping you from rolling stats on gear - on top of the 10x gold cost rolling a second time. When I get to world tier 4, everything below Ancestral becomes useless?

Ancient Legendaries and then Primal Ancient Legendaries were such a big mistake in D3 and contributed so much to the inflated numbers, so its odd to see them launch with that system in place.

All I want to do is push nightmare dungeons, but the game saddles you with so much boring busy work.

yup. why is there gear in the arpg thats better than the old gear. why do i have to playl the game to find an upgrade for longer than 2 seconds. diablo 3 melted your brains

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

zoux posted:

If they're smart they'll do the PoE thing where they add a little mechanic each season, and if they're smarter they won't leave those mechanics in forever so you don't have to learn 15 different systems when you hit endgame.

yeah the d4 devs are smart enough not to do that. they've already stated numerous times that most seasonal mechanics won't be staying around because they don't want to bloat the base game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pylons posted:

Haedrig's gift in Diablo 3 was a pretty fun excuse just to jump back in for a season. You complete some fairly straightforward tasks and they give you a class set that'd rotate through the seasons.

yup. filling out effortless checklists so i can play the assigned build for th season. thats whats good about arpgs.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone playing this on PS5? How is it if so?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Campaign story (obviously, spoilers)

Where is our boy Tyrael? Was he the one who freed Inarius from Hell? I can't imagine Inarius just breaking free after all this time

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

All of the account wide unlocks mean leveling alts more attractive than other ARPGs, especially after you get the mount. Cool system. I want to grind some renown, and it won't really be much faster on my main than it would be on a fresh alt. Love making alts anyway, being able to effectively keep progressing my main while I do... rules?

Doomykins posted:

This is a great point.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Anyone playing this on PS5? How is it if so?

Runs great and couch coop is the best way to play

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Sab669 posted:

I mean, yes OK that is ARPGs in a nutshell, but that's why you either allow your players to Trade items or go Last Epoch's route and just let them craft explicitly what they want if there is no trading. The idea of "Well constantly respec your poo poo to fit with the items that are dropping" sounds immensely tedious. It feels like twice in a row I've just picked a weak build, and there's literally nothing I can do other than re-roll or re-spec.

Just frustrated feeling :(

It’s a blizzard game. Just pick the meta that someone figured out 5 months ago and don’t deviate from it even slightly or you will be severely punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Stux posted:

yup. why is there gear in the arpg thats better than the old gear. why do i have to playl the game to find an upgrade for longer than 2 seconds. diablo 3 melted your brains

Why make categories of gear that is called EARLY-GEAR, MID-GEAR, END GAME GEAR?

In a game where everything scales to your level already, why do you have to segment things further?