Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I go real easy on low budget found footage stuff but yeah that movie is so bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Friday! I've gone most of the week largely managing not to whine about Driller Killer! I'm proud of me. Of course I've also been sleep deprived so I basically forgot that movie that it feels like i watched weeks ago. But hey, plenty of time left to remember and vote. Or watch if you haven't. Roughly 44 1/2 hours? Then the last week of Gonzo's Goopy Conference! Which means I have to writeups AND draw the next set of films. I should probably get some sleep.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon May 28th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. Steve's Monster Blockbusters vs. 8. The Brutal Brits
2. Horror Noire vs. 7. Bracketology Redux

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I didn't really enjoy Driller Killer that much. However, it did make me chuckle a few times at its slight goofiness, and there are some good scenes. There's also a certain sense of authenticity, not so much in the characters but just in the film-making itself; it is a documentary of who made it, and that kind of made it okay.

Last Night in Soho was enjoyable enough throughout, with very good performances that made it far more watchable. I think the story is a bit too constructed around the reveal, and it does muddy the themes a bit in its execution. I really wouldn't consider it an apologia for the misogyny that it's depicting; I just think it gets a little histrionic about it in a way that makes it less effective. The opening doors in the hallway scene in particular was an almost after-school-special level of depicting the 'dark side' of things.

Still, my vote's on Soho for this one. Ferrera's film certainly showed his promise, but it's not of enough quality for me to choose it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last Night in Soho just BARELY squeaks by Driller Killer! Its a 1 vote difference with every ballot counting. Doesn’t get any closer than that. But Abel Ferrara falls to 1-3 in Bracketology and NYC Grimes Connection is sadly eliminated from the tourney while Edgar Wright picks up his first win. And on the other side Its Wes Craven’s second win of this tournament and 3rd in Bracketology drawing even at 3-3 and for the first time advancing into the Sweet Sixteen. He misses the shutout so I guess someone had love for Invasion/Infection or just hate for Wes. So Albert Pyun doesn’t go home with nothing but he does go home falling to 1-1. So Wes and Sam’s Foreign Horror for American Teenagers both advance into the Sweet Sixteen. Lets find out who they’re gonna face.

1. (basebf’s Steve's Monster Blockbusters) Stephen Sommer’s Deep Rising vs. 8. (Tarnop’s The Brutal Brits) Neil Marshall’s Doomsday

Spielberg picked up the win a week ago but now its the other Steve coming in with his wacky B 90s cult classic Deep Rising. Its different from Spielberg but not entirely. And lets me real, Bracketology tends to love them some schlock. On the flip side is Neil Marshall who has already picked up a Bracketology win with The Descent back in 2021 and now he’s back with another crowd pleaser from early in his career hoping to pick up another win for Brutal Brits. Doomsday is one I haven’t seen but it sounds like its a pretty wacky B schlock fest in its own right. So that puts us on pretty even footing it seems. Two action blockbusters with B senses (and flaws). Just gonna come down to which one entertains our dumb brains more, I guess. You can take this one off, brain.

Deep Rising is available for streaming on Hoopla.
Doomsday is out there and available upon request.

2. (Goat’s Horror Noire) Cliff Roquemore’s Petey Wheatstraw vs. 7. (Goat’s Bracketology Redux) Matt Reeves’ Cloverfield

Naturally the one film on my Bracketology team drawn is the one that’s not actually a remake. I mean it was long rumored to be a Godzilla film but lets be real… I cheated a little. Whether anyone cares is another question but Cloverfield is easily the biggest hit of the week and arguably in awhile. A smash when it came out with its online viral campaign, intrigue, post 9/11 vibes, young Hollywood cast, and action packed found footage approach if we were doing this 15 years ago it might be a slam dunk. But stuff ages badly or changes. Found footage, people’s reactions to 9/11, TJ Miller. So will it hold up? Its competition is Horror Noire seemingly trying to stay very ON theme and staying back in the blaxploitation era although with a considerably lesser known film than Blacula. Petey Wheatstraw is one of the few cult classics of this variety I haven’t gotten around to and… it sounds insane. A mashup of comedy, blaxploitation, and kung fu. And some of the reviews and movie bits I’ve picked up? poo poo sounds completely nuts and also kind of like a full on showcase of the blaxploitation vibe. That feels like it could be a big hit here or a big miss. Both of these films kind of does something very unique. I haven’t seen both so I can’t really say which way I’d vote but this one feels like it could be a toss up depending on what you vibe with. But maybe I also put together a fun double feature? Who knows?

Petey Wheatstraw is available for streaming on Crackle, Fandor, Freevee, fubo, Night Flight, Plex, Roku, Tubi, and Vudu,
Cloverfield is available on Amazon Prime, AppleTV+, Hoopla, Paramount+, and Pluto.

That’s our week. Weirdly the second 9/11 movie in the last few weeks. But a pretty decent if maybe action and mainstream orientated week against our usual vibes? But that’s what makes Bracketology fun, right? A mess of stuff. And we hit a few decades and at least one older cult classic deep dive maybe. Or maybe we get an easy week where people don’t have to chase down movies as May ends and summer hits. Dunno. But I know I’ll be back again in a week with the start of Piggy’s Poison Conference.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon June 4th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Piggy's 15 Seed: Never Going To Australia vs. Team Dracula.co.jp vs. Tamil Terrors
Piggy's 16 Seed: Mostly Mock Docs vs. Yoshihiro Nishimura vs. Team Weird And A Bit Gross

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 28, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Please excuse the gibberish of that writeup. I am sleep deprived. But what counts is the movies are right. I think.

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.
I'm inclined towards Doomsday and Petey Wheatstraw in this one, but I'll how I feel if I can get some re-watches in.

I watched Deep Rising not too long ago, and it does hold up pretty well as a terror from the deep movie, but Doomsday is such a manic mash-up love note genre movies I can't help but love it.

Kind of similar with Wheatstraw and Cloverfield. I liked Cloverfield and the kaiju found footage idea is neat, but Rudy Ray Moore's movies are so singular in their vision you can't help but love them. Petey Wheatstraw is probably his most demented and goofy one, but goddamn is it fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Deep Rising's strength as a well made, but fairly standard monster movie can also be it's weakness against something like Doomsday that might appeal to people who want something with a bit more to dig into.

Personally I'm a monster movie guy which is a big reason why this team exists in the first place.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deep Rising is the greatest 90’s movie starring treat Williams

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m going Cloverfield over Wheatstraw. Wheatstraw was fun and weird and I’m glad I watched it but it didn’t quite click with me and felt a little too much like Wheatstraw just riffing. He does it well but it didn’t feel much like a narrative to me. Meanwhile Cloverfield just clicks for me. A lot of it is probably the NYC and 9/11 stuff just resonating so much with me on a personal level. It’s really a very real feeling New York movie to me. And the time and caste and found footage approach is all of a time for me probably. Plus I’ve watched like a dozen Godzilla films this month and I’m super into monster movies at the moment. But I dunno. I just dig that movie. So easy vote for me even though I much rather Noir advance than Redux.

I don’t know which way I’m going with Doomsday and Deep Rising. They’re both kind of dumb messy movies. Doomsday is more ambitious but that works in its favor in some ways and against it in some ways. Deep Rising kind of leans into the B nature of it which again benefits it in some ways and doesn’t in others. I think I’m leaning Doomsday. Rhona Mitre > Treat Williams and gets more to do than Famke Jansen. But I’m also just kind of tired of the whole post apocalyptic nihilistic thing. Doomsday leans a bit too much in that direction to leave me feeling satisfied. And Deep Rising for all its dumbness just kind of left me with a smile. So I dunno. I’m torn.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh my god I miss one vote and the movie I'd have loved to vote for loses by 1. Darn it.

Not gonna happen this time - holy loving poo poo Doomsday slaps hard!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey its Friday! And I completely forgot. Guess that's what happens when you finish the week up early, burn out on horror in May, and spend a couple of hot days barely doing anything but sleeping. But its still Friday and there's still time before the next round. Roughly 37 hours? A little less than when I usually do this but still enough time to get a movie or two in and your votes. Or for me to do writeups. Best get on that.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon June 4th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Piggy's 15 Seed: Never Going To Australia vs. Team Dracula.co.jp vs. Tamil Terrors
Piggy's 16 Seed: Mostly Mock Docs vs. Yoshihiro Nishimura vs. Team Weird And A Bit Gross

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Doomsday is such a wild ride, but aside from Rhona Mitra doing a stellar job keeping it on an even keel, it never quite grabbed me. Meanwhile, Deep Rising was dumb and fun and goopy and very 90s. I normally wouldn't be up for that, but this week it was kind of what I needed. So for this match-up, it gets my vote.

I really liked Petey Wheatstraw until a little over halfway through, when it seems to just be running in place and letting the characters do what they want. Up until then it was evoking genuine emotion in me despite being goofy and hackneyed and maudlin. I think I'd put it forward as one of the best showcases of what 70s blaxploitation was, and its influence is clear. As horror or a quality film it ultimately fell just a bit short.

Cloverfield I don't love unreservedly, but the flaws are somewhat minor. I would've hoped for a slightly smarter script, since it sometimes relies on people just doing dumb things to keep the plot going (e.g. nobody checked them for bites as soon as they entered the triage station?). I also get mildly bothered by found-footage films that pretend they are just the 'raw' footage without editing, even if it serves a purpose as it did here. Still, it is quite well done and it's good enough to garner my vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I feel like Petey Wheatstraw kind of doesn’t know what to do when the funny ideas kind of give way to trying to find a plot for the more serious stuff and it just kind of kills time until there’s more funny gags. I laughed but I definitely kind of got bored in the middle.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Am I insane or did the Petey Wheatstraw soundtrack contain the Witch Theme from Left 4 Dead?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1SzAZR-7WyY&feature=share9 (1:34:30 in this video, it shows up several times in the last act)

Also, deepest apologies to Goat for asking him to help me track it down when it turns out the whole thing is free on YouTube.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

For the record I voted Cloverfield and Deep Rising.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Two very very close ones this week and two very narrow victories that are maybe surprises? Deep Rising seemed to be the crowd favorite but Doomsday inches out a victory in the end giving Neil Marshall his second Bracketology victory in two tries and handing Stephen Sommers his first loss in his first go. On the other side of things maybe another surprise as Horror Noire drops when Cloverfield beats out Petey Wheatstraw by just one vote. As someone who voted for Cloverfield I feel a little dirty about that but it is what it is. Matt Reeves picks up his second win in a row and sends Bracketology Redux into the Sweet Sixteen for a matchup with Sam’s Foreign Horror for American Teenagers while Tarnop’s Brutal Brits head to a clash with Wes Craven.

Well did you enjoy our little run the last few weeks of really killer movies you’ve heard of and excellent double features? Well its play in time now which means lots of weird rear end poo poo you’ve never heard of or that skirts the edges of any good taste. So lets get started!

Piggy's 15 Seed: (mbd’s Never Going To Australia) Colin Eggleston’s Long Weekend vs. (Darth’s Team Dracula.co.jp) Michio Yamamoto’s Evil of Dracula vs. (twernt’s Tamil Terrors) Ashwin Saravanan’s Game Over

Its a good old fashioned three way toss up! Yamamoto is the only person in this group who has been in Bracketology before, netting a win with Vampire Doll last year for this team… albeit under twernt’s ownership at the time. Now he looks to pick up a win with the thematic sequel of Evil of Dracula for the new Darth ownership and the film has pretty solid reviews as a Hammeresque film from Toho with the only real drawbacks coming from people who found the “trilogy” a bit redundant. twernt puts up a new team from a new part of the world (well relative neighbor) with Saravanan’s Game Over, a pretty well reviewed recent feature that blends different genres of horror into something that sounds somewhat unique but also mainstream safe in some ways? Not sure. And mbd’s Australia team is not to be forgotten as we get another Ozploitation film from that terrifying continent of natural dangers and appropriately this is one all about natural dangers… and seemingly terrible people. Look, I’ve never heard of any of these films, they’re all fairly obscure, and they all have kind of solid reviews. And truthfully I zoned out most of this week and am rushing this writeup late. So I don’t know what to say. But it seems like an open field and probably at least 2 out of 3 films you’ve never seen before if not all three. So I hope you enjoyed your break from May and well seen mainstream films because we’re back into the deep with Bracketology.

Sequel Alert:Blood of Dracula is the third of Yamamoto's Bloodthirsty trilogy after the Vampire Doll and Lake of Dracula. As said Vampire Doll actually got played last year in Bracketology from this team (defeating Don Coscarelli’s Phantasm III) so many of us may have already seen it. I believe this a thematic trilogy though, not a narrative or continuity one. Just three stylistically similar vampire movies from the Toho and Yamamoto. At least that’s my impression. I’ve got the other two films if you need or want them though. They’re also both on Internet Archive and elsewhere.

Long Weekend is available for streaming on Kanopy.
Evil of Dracula is available for streaming on ARROW, AsianCrush, Darkmatter TV. MUBI. Screambox. and Tubi TV and on the Internet Archive subbed and dubbed.
Game Over is available for streaming on Netflix.

Piggy's 16 Seed: (deety’s Mostly Mock Docs) Benoît Poelvoorde, Rémy Belvaux, and André Bonzel’s Man Bites Dog vs. Yoshihiro Nishimura’s Helldriver vs. (Basebf’s Team Weird And A Bit Gross) William Lustig’s Uncle Sam

Our one returning director in this matchup is William Lustig who is 0-2 in Bracketology so far having lost with Maniac Cops 2 and 3. In both of those and the original Maniac Cop he teamed with Larry Cohen and that team is back here for a 3rd chance at a victory. Can they finally put a win together with this holiday themed horror maybe a week too late for Memorial Day and a few weeks too early for the 4th of July? But there’s probably some other patriotic holiday this week. There’s a zillion of them. Going against Lustig is a film in Man Bites Dog and a director in Yoshihiro Nishimura I kind of dread. Nishimura might have an edge in this as a make of seemingly wild gory edgy zany kind of crowd pleasers and Helldriver seems pretty loving wild. Then again Man Bites Dog’s reputation precedes it with me so much so that I’ve always avoided it. A pretty bleak sounding and maybe ahead of its curve draw of the true crime or found footage eras. My guess is most people here have an opinion already on this and it seems like that could be the favorite too. So I guess I can kind of see any of these three winning? Its three different but notable hooks and could end up a big sweeping win for one a or a close battle for all three.

Man Bites Dog is available for streaming on Criterion and Max.
Helldriver is out there and available upon request.
Uncle Sam is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, AMC+, Shudder, and Tubi TV.

There’s our week. I feel like its been weeks since last one. Sleep deprivation will do that to you. But we’ve got a full slate of movies this week of a pretty mixed variety of sleaze and weird and probably no one who has seen all six. We’re also into our last conference in the first round which means we’re now well past our middle point and getting real close to the Sweet Sixteen and the end run of this thing. But still a bunch of teams that have to be eliminated and that starts here.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon June 11th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
5. Alfred Hitchcock vs. 12. Rob Zombie
4. Roy Ward Baker vs. 13. Predation's Dead

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Long Weekend is such a great bad vibes movie, it's gonna be a real crowd pleaser.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I expect my team's matchup will go to Man Bites Dog, which is one of those movies that I appreciate more than actually enjoy. It's ahead of it's time and breaking new ground and all that but I still don't enjoy it that much.

I'll have to rewatch Uncle Sam, I remember very little about it.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Uncle Sam is one of those movies I always wish I liked more than I do. The suburban setting feels flat, the nephew is annoying, and the blend of horror and dark comedy doesn't hit the right balance for me.

I actually tend to forget it's a Lustig movie at all. That could be because I worked in a video store back when it came out, so I associate it with a lot of the other themed horrors of that time period (stuff like Jack Frost or Ice Cream Man) that felt designed around grabbing your attention on the New Releases shelf.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

deety posted:

Uncle Sam is one of those movies I always wish I liked more than I do. The suburban setting feels flat, the nephew is annoying, and the blend of horror and dark comedy doesn't hit the right balance for me.

I actually tend to forget it's a Lustig movie at all. That could be because I worked in a video store back when it came out, so I associate it with a lot of the other themed horrors of that time period (stuff like Jack Frost or Ice Cream Man) that felt designed around grabbing your attention on the New Releases shelf.

Who didn't love that lenticular VHS box art back in the day?

Uncle Sam is fun and all as a concept - I watch it pretty much every July 4th - but as a movie it is fairly weak. Normally I'd expect to give it a pity/nostalgia vote, but that all depends on how I feel about Man Bites Dog and if I'll be able to work that in this week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just think that Man Bites Dog is gonna get the "historically important" vote which will put it over the top.

Btw Netflix has three versions of Game Over, you want to watch either the Tamil or Telegu version, because they shot the movie simultaneously in both languages, but the Hindi version is dubbed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loathed Man Bites Dog and got nothing from it. I’ll basically be empathically voting for anything against it. It might have been the single worst movie viewing experience of my life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually enjoyed Uncle Sam a lot this time around. It's very straightforward but I like a slasher that commits to a theme and Uncle Sam definitely does.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't imagine hating Man Bites Dog any more than Helldriver. Absolutely dire.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leaning towards abstaining on that matchup but Uncle Sam is the only one I didn’t outright hate and was g a complete chore to watch. So if I do vote it will be for that even though Sam was just kind of a forgettable generic slasher that did nothing for me except wonder why it needed a rape incest subplot. But at least it’s the only film of the three that didn’t show lay rape for a joke or something I guess?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I was expecting all sorts of predictable things from Game Over, the movie about a game developer with a phobia of the dark, but that list absolutely did not include a haunted loving tattoo as the main story beat.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Uncle Sam: the scene with Isaac Hayes at 30 minutes trying to tell the kid to avoid enlisting is good

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Uncle Sam: the scene with Isaac Hayes at 30 minutes trying to tell the kid to avoid enlisting is good

Anyone own the Uncle Sam DVD put out by Blue Underground back in the day? There's an Easter Egg where they recut that scene to make a sex joke hidden on a selectable highlight (I forget which screen it was hidden on), which was both ridiculous and in poor taste. Which was fairly common in the early-mid 2000s when that disc was made.

I don't know if that's a point for or against it in this competition, but it's the first thing that popped into my head after MZ's comment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm torn between Game Over and Evil of Dracula. I enjoyed both and they're so different from each other, it's hard to decide but those are the two contenders for me in that matchup. My general love for all things Dracula might win out in the end....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Friday. I still have a couple of movies to watch. You don't care. I do think I finished writeups. You don't care about that either. Point is we all fall behind and are different schedules but there's still time. 43 hours? Something like that? Brain not working great today. But there's time and a date. Hopefully you can figure it out better than me.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon June 11th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
5. Alfred Hitchcock vs. 12. Rob Zombie
4. Roy Ward Baker vs. 13. Predation's Dead

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm not sure on the #15 seeding, as they're all good in some ways but none of them is really a standout.

Long Weekend has possibly the strongest direction, and does a great job crafting the sense of paranoia and wrongness, and the way the entire cosmos can seem against you when you're in a negative mental state. At the same time, I didn't really connect with the characters or feel interested in watching them suffer or survive.

The Evil of Dracula might have some of the best scenes out of the group, with some great surrealist imagery. But the plot feels like it's just lying there and I also didn't find the characters to have much personality to them. It managed to only barely keep my interest by delivering a good scene now and then between the more perfunctory sections.

Finally, Game Over is possibly the strongest all-around, as it is a modern story told fairly well, and aside from the overdramatic montage that brings things to a screeching halt in the middle, it moves the best out of the three. However, it still feels like two decent premises mashed together, and by spending too much time on the tattoo ghost but ultimately doing very little with it, it doesn't allow a whole lot of room for the much-better-told video game do-over part of the latter half. There's also a slight negative reaction I feel to its 'message' of 'fighting back', which it might not be pushing too strongly, but comes off just a little as suggesting "the system oppressing you won't be fixed, so you ought to be responsible for dealing with it". I am maybe being a little unfair with that characterization, but it was my reaction.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hitchcock vs rob zombie next week is quite the match lol

E: still need to watch a few movies but I really enjoyed long weekend. It was a very cool take on ecohorror and lovely relationships

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We have a tie! Long Weekend and Blood of Dracula end up drawing even at 5 votes apiece. Tough break for Game Over and twernt’s Tamil Terrors but it means both mbd’s Never Going to Australia and Darth’s Team Dracula.co.jp advance into the field of 64. Or 65. Both teams will face off in a couple of weeks against deety’s Lady Thrillers. The 16 seed is decided though as Man Bites Dog wins a majority of the votes to get the legitimate win without aide of the threeway. That’s one and done for Yoshihiro Nishimura and Basebf’s Team Weird and a Bit Gross. And drops Lustig to 0-3 lifetime in Bracketology. But it advances deety’s Mostly Mock Docs team into a clash against Serv’s Lewton Bus.

New matchups, big names. Lets get started.

5. Alfred Hitchcock’s I Confess vs. 12. Rob Zombie’s The Munsters

That’s a matchup I don’t think I’d ever think to put together myself. Its also a pair of movies I wouldn’t think to pick for the directors. Hitchcock comes in 3-2 having never lost in the first round although he did fail to get nominated in 2021’s tournament due to the ambiguous genre classification of so many of his films before it was decided that as a trailblazer for what we define as “horror” Hitchcock’s “thrillers” should all be included. Still that’s a bit of a gamble and this weeks’ draw is a deep cut that may not be horror enough for this crowd? Reviews are solid and its Hitchcock so you expect the suspense and thrills. But will its possibly more melodramatic tone do well here? On the flip side Zombie’s 0-3 in Bracketology and has never won but he hopes to change that with a film pretty far from his usual fair. Or so it seems. The Munsters was a polarizing film at nearly every level of its release with some people absolutely hating what they saw and some loving it. Zombie’s run at comedy and curious choices to go all technicolor homage to a black and white show. Polarizing. But some really did seem to get a kick out of it and there’s no doubt Zombie’s first and foremost a horror guy who probably did this out of love. Its two very major horror names at the far ends of history of the genre. And Zombie looking back in time while facing Hitchcock known for pushing things forward. Its an interesting one and certainly what seems like a toss up on paper. Could Zombie be headed for his first Bracketology win or will Hitch keep his streak going?

I Confess is availble for streaming on the Internet Archive.
The Munsters is available for streaming on Netflix.

4. Roy Ward Baker’s Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde vs. 13. (Tarnop’s Predation's Dead) Duncan Jones’ Moon

Roy Ward Baker has a HalloweeNIT win under his belt but no officially Bracketology wins even with him pulling out his most well regarded film Asylum in his sole contest against Ben Wheatley’s In the Earth. That may have been a real show of the tastes of Bracketology with weird arty modern stuff beating out campy older Hammer/Amicus stuff. But he switches from Amicus to Hammer here and pulls a movie that actually seems a bit ahead of its time and more thought provoking and in line with what catches folks attention here. On the flip side Predation’s proven itself very hard to beat over the last two tourneys going 7-2, better than any other team in Bracketology, and yet to fail to get into at least the Elite Eight. That’s a hell of a run but surely it has to break sometime? And Moon is a bit of a deeper reach than most of the other killer films that have filled this team but still its hard to argue with the results or the reviews. They’re overwhelmingly positive for Moon so it sure doesn’t look like a film that’s gonna suddenly disappoint the streak. Perhaps its more sci fi than horror and maybe that gives Baker his opening? But that didn’t really work out for him the last time. It actually seems like it could be a repeat of history here with Tarnop’s two marquee teams in Brutal Brits and Predation taking out Baker in back to back years. Or maybe the HalloweeNIT winner gets some revenge?

Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde is available for streaming on Freevee, Peacock, Shout!, Roku, and Tubi.
Moon is out there and available upon request.

Hitchcock, Zombie, Hammer, and Predation. Its a marquee week although with some deeper cuts. Another weird mixed bag Bracketology week I’d say even if its maybe not quite as weird as last week. Degrees.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST June 18th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. The REC Dudes vs. 14. Wyrd Woods and Macabre Magick
6. Larry Cohen vs. 11. "Alan Smithee"

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Hitchcock vs rob zombie next week is quite the match lol

Rip rob

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At least he didn't draw a killer Hitchcock classic. He's got a fighting chance if there's enough people into Zombie's aesthetic choices who aren't feeling Hitch's borderline drama/thriller genre building.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hah, glad I missed the vote - Dracula is cute and I'd have voted against it for Long Weekend.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

STAC Goat posted:

At least he didn't draw a killer Hitchcock classic. He's got a fighting chance if there's enough people into Zombie's aesthetic choices who aren't feeling Hitch's borderline drama/thriller genre building.

I Confess is a classic. It's certainly underrated, especially when compared to his his more canonical pantheon, but it was a favorite of the French New Wave directors and its concept -- a priest accused of murder who knows who committed the crime but can't say, because it was admitted in confession -- is stone-cold brilliant.

The Munsters is a fun kids movie but far too long. It's not a contest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Munsters was rough. Too long. Too disjointed. Not funny. Just kind of a 2 hour meandering prelude of amateur theater shop sketches strewn together. Haven't watched I Confess yet but gonna be hard for it not to get my vote over this. Think I'm totally over Rob Zombie.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Rob Zombie's never been my thing, but I really wanted to like The Munsters. The visual style worked better than I expected, but it was so draggy and badly written. It all felt like setup; I kept checking the time and wondering how loving long it was going to take for an actual plot to develop.

Does Zombie just love The Munsters so much that he thought bits of backstory could carry an entire movie about them? I mean, I watched the show as a kid. I had some attachment to the characters. But the movie felt more like a collection of scenes Rob Zombie wanted to film than an overall story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Thing about The Munsters is it's a kids movie. It's not an ironic "oh it's for adult millennials" "kids" movie a la LEGO Movie or Barbie, it's just made for five year olds with jokes to make five year olds laugh. Which is fine! Although the length definitely makes even less sense then.