Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Story:
- I enjoyed the campaign -- I guess compared to d3 everything would be good in comparison
- The complete lack of player agency though -- you never get to make any choices! you're sort of along for the ride ... but I guess that's standard for diablo, I guess I've just got used to having meaningful choices in my rpgs
- The ending (end of campaign spoilers, do not open if you have not completed the campaign)

Neyrelle randomly getting injured felt ... like a plot device? First I've heard of the "necrosis" from the Drowned. Meanwhile we fight Drowned without any issues and never risk anything. Either it's a super dangerous thing or it's not, and here it seemed completely out of proportion to how the rest of the game treats it.

I'm sure we'll see Neyrelle and Mephisto again, when will people learn soulstones don't work?!

Confused at how one actually kills demons / angels -- why could we kill Lillith and she could kill Inarius but Astaroth lived? What is the mechanic? And why didn't we just kill Mephisto if we're so good at killing demons?

Speaking of which, who the hell is the protagonist / main character? How are they so powerful? Are we a nephalem?  I don't mind never seeing that word again, but it did seem sort of random that we're this incredibly powerful person and ... yeah we have no backstory 

Random question:
- Is there a way to check your /played? d3 had it on profile, I can't find it in d4 (/played doesn't work either)

And some rants:
- I want to just pick up all the side quests and do them when I'm in the area for them, but with a cap of 20 -- can't do that. There are only (according to https://d4builds.gg/map/%A0213 side-quests in total so ... not having a cap might have been nice!)
- gems really should just go into your crafting materials
- I want a better way to interact with rares / legendaries in my inventory -- right now I have to mouse over everything to check if it's any good, this is tedious busywork
- similarly, it's very challenging to identify whether something is actually an upgrade -- reading through https://maxroll.gg/d4/getting-started/damage-for-beginners%A0it appears the system is pretty drat convoluted (certain types of % damage modifiers are much better than others depending on if they're additive or multiplicative -- e.g. +% vuln damage is very good since vulnerable damage is multiplicative with everything else, unlike say +% close enemies which is merely additive with all the other +% damage modifiers)
- I have no idea how to systematically evaluate, e.g. +1 rank in my main spender vs. 2% attack speed and the UI does not help here
- dungeon layout remains infuriatingly bad -- lots of backtracking -- I can already see myself making a tier list of which nightmare dungeons are good and which are bad and avoiding all the bad ones because why would you do a bad one if you can do a good one
- having to ride out to a dungeon instead of being able to teleport directly there is a bit :-(
- city layouts are mostly terrible; stash and blacksmith should not be so far away (tree of whispers is probably the best with things in a super close area)
- is there a way to set your "hearthstone"? I never know where my town portal will end up taking me until I cast it and I'm not sure why it takes me where I do (i did learn you can just tp directly to things by clicking them the map -- from anywhere -- which is kind of cool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It'd be slick if there was a dungeon of the original Tristram cathedral! Like, a faithful reproduction of the original 30+ levels-deep dungeon that we fought through in Diablo 1 when we were cheesing for Godly Plate of the Whale.

However, because this is 2023, it's just a dungeon (not a mainline quest, but it would have cellars!!) where people can congregate asynchronously and Town around just like ye olde days. Bonus points if it releases with OG D1 aesthetic items and swag that echo the trinity of mage, warrior, and rogue. Kind of a flagship xp/loot mining zone that people can chill in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Play what is fun for you but most successful builds are going to be built around one or two spenders, some short CDs and one long CD. For my CE build, it's Blight and CE, with tentacles as my short CD and AotD as the long one. For HotD Barb you are building around HotD, with one builder two short CDs in the form of shouts, and one long one - Ancients. Leaves a flex spot for a third shout or leap. Most bars are going to look like: builder, spender, movement, 2 short CDs, 1 long CD. Maybe less CD for an extra spender, but mostly that.

So if you're wondering whether to get actives or passives, you should decide on which actives you are going to use and max those and then get passives that support the build.

Whether you need a builder or not is going to depend on mechanics.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 5, 2023

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I really like how TPing works in this game. You get TPed to the nearest town. This makes it so all the towns/encampments/etc in the world are populated and makes the game feel extremely alive.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I really like how TPing works in this game. You get TPed to the nearest town. This makes it so all the towns/encampments/etc in the world are populated and makes the game feel extremely alive.

?? you mean fast travel? Whenever I town portal it always brings me back to the main city. Khoveshistanigrad or whatever the gently caress the name is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Waffle House posted:

It'd be slick if there was a dungeon of the original Tristram cathedral! Like, a faithful reproduction of the original 30+ levels-deep dungeon that we fought through in Diablo 1 when we were cheesing for Godly Plate of the Whale.

However, because this is 2023, it's just a dungeon (not a mainline quest, but it would have cellars!!) where people can congregate asynchronously and Town around just like ye olde days. Bonus points if it releases with OG D1 aesthetic items and swag that echo the trinity of mage, warrior, and rogue. Kind of a flagship xp/loot mining zone that people can chill in.

This fully exists in D3 and has for a bit. I doubt they do it again for D4.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it'll bring you to closest capital city but often it bugs out and just ships you to coldtown

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

I got into the post story stuff last night and it really fuckin sucks when in a group the grim favor objectives don't seem to be shared between party members. I'm not sure if it's possible for those to match up so we all can run the same dungeon for favors or not but considering how the rest of the party integration works I am leaning towards no.

Oof, that sucks, I hope they change that.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

alcaras posted:

Confused at how one actually kills demons / angels -- why could we kill Lillith and she could kill Inarius but Astaroth lived? What is the mechanic? And why didn't we just kill Mephisto if we're so good at killing demons?

End Game Spoilers in quote and my answer:

So when demons "die", their physical bodies break down, but their spirit or whatever returns to the Black Abyss, where they spend some time "reforming". They never actually die. Lilith is not dead, you just put her on a respawn countdown. That's why the Horadrim try to trap them in soulstones instead of killing them, because it stops this cycle from kicking off.

Angels are a different story. Angels are beings of light and sound that form from something in Heaven called the "Crystal Arch". The Crystal Arch is basically Anu's spine, Anu is basically this universe's god or whatever. None of that is relevant to how angel death works though - basically imagine the Crystal Arch as a giant capacitor / battery. It can only sustain X angels at one time. Each angel it shits out uses X capacity, but it shits out unique and new angels, not clones like the demons in the Black Abyss.

When an angel dies, they are dead. However it frees up X capacity in the Crystal Arch, so another angel is shat out. This is not the same angel that died, it's a new one. So both demons and angels have some form of sustaining troops in the Eternal Conflict, but angels have real and permanent deaths. Inarius is dead. Lilith is not dead. Astaroth is not dead. They're just chillin in hell for a bit, biding their time.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 5, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Good, Inarius was a major dick.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

putin is a oval office posted:

Feeling like I'm just really bad at this game. I'm seeing people say they did the capstone dungeon like 10+ levels under-levelled I can't do it at level 48. I don't know if somehow I've completely hosed up my build, or my gear, or what. I'm a hammer of the ancients barb fwiw.

There are some really undertuned builds on all of the classes, the game needs a balance pass but they will probably wait until after retail and more telemetry is gathered. Like my Sorc has two very competent builds and just about anything else kind of sucks by comparison. I've tried experimenting and whatnot but some are just heads and tails better than others. Blizzard, Frozen Orb and etc are all technically viable in that you can probably beat content but you'll struggle compared to other builds where you can stack all of the defensives.

I haven't played Barb yet but I hear similar things from friends who play it and Rogue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
where is the shrine??

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

site posted:

where is the shrine??

Use the emote "thanks" right there

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I still think about how D3 was building up to a fight with Imperius and we never got one.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CBD Corndog posted:

World first hardcore 100 is done, with a few groups close behind as well:

https://www.d4race.com/

Group play is just so strong all the way around. It's almost as if you're punished for playing solo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Gunslinger posted:

There are some really undertuned builds on all of the classes, the game needs a balance pass but they will probably wait until after retail and more telemetry is gathered. Like my Sorc has two very competent builds and just about anything else kind of sucks by comparison. I've tried experimenting and whatnot but some are just heads and tails better than others. Blizzard, Frozen Orb and etc are all technically viable in that you can probably beat content but you'll struggle compared to other builds where you can stack all of the defensives.

I haven't played Barb yet but I hear similar things from friends who play it and Rogue.

They're already starting this. There was a balance patch I think yesterday that nerfed a few of the really outsized builds, heavily nerfed the post-50 skill tree in general as far as bonuses etc, and buffed a few under-performing thigns. Patch notes are out there, I just remember that WW Barb got hit pretty solid (still good, just no longer obviously superior to everything else) and minion necro got a pretty significant boost.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zotix posted:

Group play is just so strong all the way around. It's almost as if you're punished for playing solo.

Welcome to Diablo. D2 was the exact same way, especially once you got into Hell difficulty.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I can’t handle how much lillith looks like the other blizzard villainesses. I don’t even know if that’s true it just feels true.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just to clarify - once you beat the game with one character, you don't need to run through the main campaign again on following characters? Like areas that were locked behind story progress are all just freely available from the jump? If so that's awesome, definitely makes the idea of a bunch of alts seem less grueling.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ChiTownEddie posted:

Use the emote "thanks" right there

aha ty

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

kater posted:

I can’t handle how much lillith looks like the other blizzard villainesses. I don’t even know if that’s true it just feels true.

I literally had to look her up on a wiki to make sure she wasn't XYZ other characters that I'd forgotten the name of.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Rexicon1 posted:

It’s a blizzard game. Just pick the meta that someone figured out 5 months ago and don’t deviate from it even slightly or you will be severely punished.

Few pages late but I love people constantly posting "you must play a meta build" when I've just been breezing through the game on WT2 with no issue. When do I hit this supposed "meta build wall" where if I don't go to maxroll immediately the game just locks up and refuses to let me progress?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I've done a lot of research and can verify that the Reap/CE/Sever build is the best Necro build. Math below:

- Swinging a huge scythe looks cool as hell
- Blowing up corpses looks cool as hell
- Shooting grim reapers out of your body looks cool as hell

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kater posted:

That's definitely Kerrigan in my mind

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

InventorOfTrees posted:

Few pages late but I love people constantly posting "you must play a meta build" when I've just been breezing through the game on WT2 with no issue. When do I hit this supposed "meta build wall" where if I don't go to maxroll immediately the game just locks up and refuses to let me progress?

you dont. ive done the same and im deep into wt3 right now w no issues. im pretty sure the people who think you need meta builds dont understand arpg gearing etc so tehyre getting destroyed/doing no damage because they have no concept of what a build is unless they look at a guide.

im sure theres some stuff thats just extremely weak bcos nothing is perfectly balanced but probably its mostly because d3 required zero thought to make anything work and this doesnt.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I used maxroll a bit since I skipped on all the betas for D4 and went into this totally blind. But it's relatively simple at least coming from PoE. Maximize your multiplicative bonuses ([x]) and get as much synergy as you can. Look out for critical stats on rares/legendaries that make your build function better, such as cooldown reduction or lucky hit or whatever the gently caress. Keep your weapons updated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kater posted:

Blizzard has a formula for female vilanesses which is "horns and scales surrounding an alabaster-smooth normal human face".

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 5, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

CuddleCryptid posted:

Diablo has a formula for female vilanesses which is "horns and scales surrounding an alabaster-smooth normal human face".

Turn your monitor on

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't played a Diablo before and I've made it to like level 18 without dying on WT2 on Necromancer by shooting bone shards, blighting dudes, and letting my warriors and mages take care of everything. I have CE and often forget to use it. I'm sure I'm not playing meta, but it's pretty easy so far

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

InventorOfTrees posted:

I've been playing a werewolf druid for a couple levels around level 30 now.

It's kinda ruff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

External Organs posted:

Turn your monitor on

Be nice, I'm cursed with this attractive face and sick horns. It's a burden.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm like level 25 and I have a legendary in every slot but 1. What's the point of even including blue or even yellow items in the game?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Fattest PI posted:

I'm like level 25 and I have a legendary in every slot but 1. What's the point of even including blue or even yellow items in the game?

Yellow items can be imprinted with aspects to turn them into legendaries. Blue items I have no idea.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

The Fattest PI posted:

yellows are what you slap aspects on

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Be nice, I'm cursed with this attractive face and sick horns. It's a burden.

hey now, some of us have attractive horns and a sick face. count yourself lucky

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Fattest PI posted:

You have to have poo poo to be disappointed in if you wanna have poo poo to get excited about

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just to clarify - once you beat the game with one character, you don't need to run through the main campaign again on following characters?.

Correct. Once you beat the campaign when you create a new character there is a button that you can select that says "skip campaign".

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I really didn't like necro so I ditched it at 32 in act 2 or 3 and went with a sorc instead. I ended up beating the campaign with it. I might go back and mess around with some off meta necro builds. Maybe blood surge or blood lance since it got buffed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say this for playing necro: it's gross as hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
The citizens of the diablo world love 2 things:

Dying horribly
Building insanely huge underground structures that consist of narrow walkways and bottomless pits on both sides