Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

welp, I tried an alt to ground renown and discovered some rewards are account bound, but the entire renown system is otherwise reset for each character. Still kinda neat, but not nearly as alt-friendly as I initially thought :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

I'm like level 25 and I have a legendary in every slot but 1. What's the point of even including blue or even yellow items in the game?

lol how? i'm 25 and have not seen a single legendary

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Fattest PI posted:

I'm like level 25 and I have a legendary in every slot but 1. What's the point of even including blue or even yellow items in the game?

What are you doing to get so many legendaries? I must be missing something because I am 35 and only have 2-3.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol how? i'm 25 and have not seen a single legendary

Well you get a guaranteed one for completing act I so I wonder if legendary drop rates go up as you progress because I'm all legendary except for a ring at the end of act III (though I have been gambling a bit >_>) I've had probably ~10 drop though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ChiTownEddie posted:

Use the emote "thanks" right there

that sidequest made me realize if you see a statue with a faint glowing blue circle in front of it, you can read a plaque that gives you a clue to use a specific emote. if you use the right emote in front of the statue you'll get a temporary buff. The buffs I've found so far have been increased move speed and "the next enemy you hit will rain gold down upon you" which was pretty cool

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Yo this tree told me I would collect debts from humans and demons alike. Where are my human slaying quests damnit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Well you get a guaranteed one for completing act I so I wonder if legendary drop rates go up as you progress because I'm all legendary except for a ring at the end of act III (though I have been gambling a bit >_>) I've had probably 5-7 drop though.

oh weird okay, i haven't finished act 1 yet, have been doing tons of side quest poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'm 36 and have seen 5 Legendaries at most, like 2 Amulets, 2 Totems and a 1h Mace.

The amulets blew chunks, too.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I will say this for playing necro: it's gross as hell!

Really living up to the class fantasy as I explode the corpses of my enemies after each battle to recuperate my necro juices

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

AlbertFlasher posted:

I really didn't like necro so I ditched it at 32 in act 2 or 3 and went with a sorc instead. I ended up beating the campaign with it. I might go back and mess around with some off meta necro builds. Maybe blood surge or blood lance since it got buffed.

oh actually something I have equipped has given me a rank of blood lance and it hurts things. I'll probably put a point in it myself whenever I switch that gear out

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Lilith is the same character in Midnight Suns, which means they take place in the same universe.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

George H.W. oval office posted:

This fully exists in D3 and has for a bit. I doubt they do it again for D4.

I don't necessarily disagree with the auspices, but I have to say, given how much better the game is than D3, for the simple fact that such a dungeon would be handled miles better than D3, it'd be a shame if they didn't. The art department really knocked D4 out of the park.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One of my friends who I nearly always disagree with about game stuff absolutely hated Diablo 3 although I always saw him playing it when a new season started, he loves Path of Exile, reckons it blows Diablo 3 out of the water.

He also disliked the Diablo 4 beta and quit at level 6 in it cause he hated that they asked him to pick some herbs or do an "MMO fetch quest".

Then he still bought the early access version of this game, still disliked it for pretty much the same reasons in the full game unsurprisingly + he's also realised he hates the builder/spender dichotomy, Diablo 3 is based on that quite a bit so I guess that tracks. He is now incredibly salty cause they won't let him refund it for obvious reasons (you could buy the early access version of the game, refund it after early access is over, get the normal version of the game if you still wanted it and pocket the £20/30 difference having gotten the benefit of the early access) but he's still playing it because he "wants to get his moneys worth".

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, just wanted to marvel at the brainworms and needed to share it to get it out I think. Just baffling, I get not liking the game sure, that's a subjective thing and it's not to his taste but I can't imagine having played it for free, not liking it and then still plunking down the cash.

It's pretty funny though cause in our friend group discord there's a couple people who've never played an ARPG before asking if 4 might be a good first one and I'm saying "yeah sure, if you're gonna play one then Diablo 4 is probably a decent first one, or get Diablo 3 on the consoles, that's probably cheap at this point," (as an aside, Activision games never going on deep discount on PC is so annoying). Whereas he's reeling off these complaints that are probably not an issue for most folks and recommending they play Path of Exile instead, or wait for the sequel which seems like a recipe for disaster in terms of taste for our group.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 5, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Fattest PI posted:

its easier to look for a near perfect yellow item and slap a well rolled aspect on it than to try and find a raw legendary that has everything you want in one drop

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm level 32, I have five legendaries, and every single one of them has the same damned effect. It's a good one, the invulnerability bubble if you drop below healthy, but can I get a little variety please?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

One of my friends who I nearly always disagree with about game stuff absolutely hated Diablo 3 although I always saw him playing it when a new season started, he loves Path of Exile, reckons it blows Diablo 3 out of the water.

He also disliked the Diablo 4 beta and quit at level 6 in it cause he hated that they asked him to pick some herbs or do an "MMO fetch quest".

Then he still bought the early access version of this game, still disliked it for pretty much the same reasons in the full game unsurprisingly + he's also realised he hates the builder/spender dichotomy, Diablo 3 is based on that quite a bit so I guess that tracks and is now incredibly salty cause they won't let him refund it for obvious reasons (you could buy the early access version of the game, refund it after early access is over, get the normal version of the game if you still wanted it and pocket the £20/30 difference having gotten the benefit of the early access) but he's still playing it because he "wants to get his moneys worth".

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, just wanted to marvel at the brainworms and needed to share it to get it out I think. Just baffling, I get not liking the game sure, that's a subjective thing and it's not to his taste but I can't imagine having played it for free, not liking it and then still plunking down the cash.

It's pretty funny though cause in our friend group discord there's a couple people who've never played an ARPG before asking if 4 might be a good first one and I'm saying "yeah sure, if you're gonna play one then Diablo 4 is probably a decent first one, or get Diablo 3 on the consoles, that's probably cheap at this point," (as an aside, Activision games never going on deep discount on PC is so annoying). Whereas he's reeling off these complaints that are probably not an issue for most folks and recommending they play Path of Exile instead, or wait for the sequel which seems like a recipe for disaster in terms of taste for our group.

I think that guy might have a parasocial relationship with PoE that is clouding his judgement. I have a couple hundred hours in that game but it's the last ARPG I'd recommend for someone's first.

e: are you guys not hitting your obol caps? I've already hit it twice and had to spend it down.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

D-Pad posted:

What are you doing to get so many legendaries? I must be missing something because I am 35 and only have 2-3.

What difficulty are you playing on? I been playing on 2, which I've just been told isn't worth it for levelling and stuff. I got 1 legendary from gambling when my obo filled up, and the rest just dropped. I do a lot of side-questing too. I hit up pretty much every little world event I come across.
It's awesome when you roll up right when other players are finishing it so you get a free chest, but usually I'm just doing them solo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Been on WT2 the entire time and have gotten I dunno, 20-25? ish legendaries so far.

Hit 40 on my druid building around the nature's fury capstone and man it feels so good to just cover the screen with bullshit with the random double skills proccing.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What is an optimal combo for leveling as a duo?

Will leveling as a necro and a sorceror duo offer any advantages over leveling as 2 necromancers?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Fattest PI posted:

The citizens of the diablo world love 2 things:

Dying horribly
Building insanely huge underground structures that consist of narrow walkways and bottomless pits on both sides

We really are Hell's children.

Imagine being one of those massive hell demons chained forever but no one gets to look at you because you're a quarter mile down the pit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Legendaries seem to really start dropping like mad in Act IV. My basic progression was:

1 for beating Act 1
1 from the Act 2 boss
2 just out in the world playing act 3

And now in act 4 I'm only a couple quests in and I've already had 5 of them drop.

Also dont' sleep on your act 1 legendary. They tend to have low level requirements, so they're decent twink gear. My necro used his act 1 legendary sword up until lvl 25 or so, and I've got a barb that's going to inherit it. Thing only has a lvl req of 10 so it's going to be nuts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Why doesn't the druid have a grizzly bear summon wtf

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

thebardyspoon posted:

Then he still bought the early access version of this game, still disliked it for pretty much the same reasons

:laffo:

I like that in the same quarter that Blizzard annihilated the lifetime profitability of Overwatch 2 they released this magnificent brain virus that will actually make them a billion dollars easily.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

coelomate posted:

welp, I tried an alt to ground renown and discovered some rewards are account bound, but the entire renown system is otherwise reset for each character. Still kinda neat, but not nearly as alt-friendly as I initially thought :smith:

What stuff isn't account bound? I found that if you start a new character you get the renown reward skill points and potions automatically from level 1.

The new character can still redo the renown stuff for XP and gold though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there an oh poo poo get out of game quick method for hardcore?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
rip Steve the cultist who slit his own throat for absolutely no reason

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ehud posted:

What stuff isn't account bound? I found that if you start a new character you get the renown reward skill points and potions automatically from level 1.

The new character can still redo the renown stuff for XP and gold though.

i think they maen that if they have account tier unlocks still not unlocked they need to do alll the renown stages up until then if theyr eon a new character rather than being able to get those thru progress over multiple characters

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Once you beat the campaign, is there a way to skip the story on other characters that already started but didn't finish it?

I'm in act 4 on my necro, going to finish it with this guy. I've also got a barb that I got to lvl 8 or 9 before I switched over. Can I flip a switch to get that guy in adventure mode once I've done the campaign on splody boi, or should I just delete him and roll a new one?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doomykins posted:

:laffo:

I like that in the same quarter that Blizzard annihilated the lifetime profitability of Overwatch 2 they released this magnificent brain virus that will actually make them a billion dollars easily.

Blizzard frantically trying to see if there are any Diablo characters they can turn gay without pissing too many people.

"Well sir, the decision to make the character Diablo homosexual had a mixed result. Christians loved it and we got a bunch of hate mail accusing us of being homophobic, but we've also apparently turned him into a sex symbol in the gay community. Personally I think Lil Nas X paved the way for that."

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Once you beat the campaign, is there a way to skip the story on other characters that already started but didn't finish it?

I'm in act 4 on my necro, going to finish it with this guy. I've also got a barb that I got to lvl 8 or 9 before I switched over. Can I flip a switch to get that guy in adventure mode once I've done the campaign on splody boi, or should I just delete him and roll a new one?

you select the option on the char creation screen afaik

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I finished the campaign last night. I thought the story was much better than in Diablo 3. Better character motivation for the most part although it does fall a part a little towards the end. Granted they seem to be setting up for long term expansion with this so that makes some sense. I do miss some of the silly side stuff that was traditionally in Diablo, the lack of a cow level really does sting.

Post-campaign stuff seems really fun so far. Don't sleep on the Helltides, you can get geared up very fast in them. Follow a group around and soak up XP and cinders. The best option for farming I found was doing the events over and over. You get a ton of cinders, Obols and a good chance to get Legendaries, Artifacts and cosmetics. Fooling around last night I got about a dozen Legendaries, 4 cosmetics and enough Obols to cap myself 4 times along with about 3 million gold for vender trash.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

zoux posted:

e: are you guys not hitting your obol caps? I've already hit it twice and had to spend it down.

I quit doing most events because I never see another human during them and they're all balanced around more than 1 person.

Ehud posted:

What stuff isn't account bound?

Your total points, so no gimmicking it with alts to quickly max it, which is what it sounds like they attempted :)

Cyrano4747 posted:

The campaign skip is an option on character creation, so probably not. Given the level I would delete/reroll.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

cool I'll just stick his poo poo in the bank and burn him

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My initial character was a sorc that I got to 30 / Act III before rolling a Necro. I'm going back to that character but I'm just gonna bank their gear and delete / remake. Adventure mode is *considerably* faster to the point where by the time I completed Act III I could be in my 40s by myself not doing anything but tree tasks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magus42 posted:

I quit doing most events because I never see another human during them and they're all balanced around more than 1 person.

I'm on WT1 but I've done probably 90%+ percent of them solo and haven't died once. I haven't even missed mastery once.

If y'all are like "why aren't I getting any legendaries" and you aren't doing events as you come across them, well I think I found the problem.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

CuddleCryptid posted:

Blizzard frantically trying to see if there are any Diablo characters they can turn gay without pissing too many people.

"Well sir, the decision to make the character Diablo homosexual had a mixed result. Christians loved it and we got a bunch of hate mail accusing us of being homophobic, but we've also apparently turned him into a sex symbol in the gay community. Personally I think Lil Nas X paved the way for that."

I mean D3 literally made Diablo trans. Blizzard has been trailblazing the LGBT representation in hell for over a decade!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Stay awhile, and suck me off!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm on WT1 but I've done probably 90%+ percent of them solo and haven't died once. I haven't even missed mastery once.

If y'all are like "why aren't I getting any legendaries" and you aren't doing events as you come across them, well I think I found the problem.

I'm doing every event so far - still not a single legendary. I'm still in Act 1 though, so we'll see

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
actually iirc a lot of Gamers were really mad at D3 launch that Diablo was a girl too lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The events are doable solo. I'm done tons of them with no trouble. Even less trouble once I got Call of the Ancients.