Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I love that "yeah sure, keep telling yourself that :smug:" look on Planck.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And he hasn't even had to deal with that narc Elf on a Shelf yet. Doesn't even know how good we all had it back then, at least as far as kid/Santa relations go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

I like how he's inadvertently dressed as Hunter S. Thompson.

EasyEW posted:

And a bonus page from Dorothy Parker, who very obviously isn't a cartoonist, but she sure turned in a sketch for this edition.

This was also quite charming.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 5, 2023

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Fukujusou is also known as Adonis amurensis or pheasant's eye, and it's a flower found in Japan, Russia, and China.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 5, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 02, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 02, 2001)

A comic about sleeping on the couch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(January 28, 1917)

Little Nemo(June 24, 1906)

I don't think Dr. Pill is a very good doctor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I love that "yeah sure, keep telling yourself that :smug:" look on Planck.

Haha, it's perfect!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 04, 1957)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Spudi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/4/03

Brenda Starr 2/11/51

Smokey Stover 1/23/55

Everyday Movies 6/24/36

"I want 'em from the top or I won't buy."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/10/41

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/10/41

I’ve seen Ted Lasso, I know how to resolve this.

Alternately the team could just corner the guy and slap him a few times.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Haifisch posted:

Is it just me or are the Sundays getting smaller and smaller as time goes on?

Comics Kingdom has it full-sized...but the ratio of each panel is clearly off:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Classic Arlo and Janis minus Arlo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Also Slylock has been dodging creature poop on the sidewalk for the last three blocks.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

Also Slylock has been dodging creature poop on the sidewalk for the last three blocks.

the light bulb was cool? How the gently caress was I supposed to get that, Weber, you dick

Might as well say the book was full of blank pages or Slylock knows Count Weirdly's illiterate

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My guess was the seat of the chair was cool which is close enough I guess.

drat that's a fine plump little beast

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Never before has a man been this owned before. Put this in a museum

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

conversations with myself: illustrated

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I can't stay silent. Jules has gone too far this time. Normally I think the Sunday Mark Trails are the best, but this one is all wrong. Velella is not a siphonophore, although it used to be classified as one - currently they're considered porpitids, sometimes called chondrophores even though that's an outdated term. Both siphonophores and porpitids are colonial organisms made up of individual zooids with specialized roles that can't survive independent of the colony and appearing to be one cohesive entity, but porpitids are a family in the subclass Anthoathecata, and siphonophores are also in the Hydrozoa class, but they're an Order of the subclass Hydroidolina. Considering Velella and Porpita to be siphonophores simply because they're colonial hydrozoa living on the surface of the ocean like the Man-of-war is incorrect, and the classification I'm laying out here has been a thing since, like, 1954, so long than Jules has been alive.

Normally I'd be like, well, whatever, what does it matter, but this is presented as an educational comic. Other things that annoy me about the specific strip is that Jules repeatedly calls them jellyfish when they don't even resemble jellyfish that closely - certainly much less than a Man-of-war does - and that the focus is entirely on them washing up on beaches without going into a couple of other interesting details to get people interested - like, the velella featured in the comic is actually only half their life cycle, the polyp colony. Colonies asexually release medusa, and when the medusa are sexually mature they reproduce with each other to produce larva that form colonies as they grow into maturity. Each colony is made up of only male or female polyps, so each colony only produces male or female medusa, so one colony can't just reproduce with itself past the one-generation release of medusa.

Idk! They're neat! It feels like Jules just read an article about velella washing up on west coast beaches and then didn't really do any additional research!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 5, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 28, 1935)

Peanuts (June 7, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 4, 1940, and still forced to take matters into my own hands. The comments claim this happens with all the vintage strips on CK when they get to December 31st. Go figure.)

Out Our Way (December 22-24, 1941; spoilered for Ick content.)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I just think it's rude of Jules to call velella jellyfish while only drawing the colonial polyp generation of their two-generation alternating life cycle. At least have a panel showing the life cycle and point to the jellyfish part (the medusa). Yes this is a comic for kids. Yes I can still complain when she calls something a siphonophore that isn't a siphonophore.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

We just had an exhibit pass through town of Roy Lichtenstein's early abstract expressionist work, starting from the beginning of his career right up to the precipice of Drowning Girl, etc.

https://museum-exhibitions.colby.edu/explore-roy-lichtenstein-history-in-the-making-1948-1960/

It was neat to see a guy come in on the very tail end of the marketability of one school and find the bridge to the next. Which is to say, everything in the exhibit was more interesting than than work he ended up famous for.

A+J

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I had a coworker once who kept doing this with spam calls it was maddening

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

PetraCore posted:

Idk! They're neat! It feels like Jules just read an article about velella washing up on west coast beaches and then didn't really do any additional research!
This is not unlikely.

F Minus

Do hearing impaired people have vibrating smoke detectors?

Edit: Looks like they use strobe lights. I'm not sure that would wake me up if I were asleep. Still unless it's vibrating the bed or something I guess you wouldn't notice.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Light up the Mary Signal!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone posted:

F Minus

Do hearing impaired people have vibrating smoke detectors?

Edit: Looks like they use strobe lights. I'm not sure that would wake me up if I were asleep. Still unless it's vibrating the bed or something I guess you wouldn't notice.

Trust me, those things are bright enough to wake the dead.

source: Gallaudet University grad who had to get up in the wee hours too many times when some rear end in a top hat thought it'd be funny to pull a fire alarm.

You can also get bedside units that listen for the specific tone smoke alarms use and trigger a bed shaker.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Light up the Mary Signal!

Fortunately, Toby never misses dogfight night at the abandoned warehouse down by the docks!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Three years ago I got locked out of my apartment after my key fell out of my armband while I was on a run. At the time I was using my old, deactivated cell phone as a music/podcast player, thinking that I didn't want to keep my current phone on me during physical activity for fear of damaging it by falling or dropping it or whatever. It was after 8 PM on a Saturday, the sun was going down fast and I had no spare key hidden anywhere. I knew that my apartment had an emergency lock-out service if you called the office - but the only device I had access to couldn't make calls or texts, just connect to my Wi-Fi network.

Most wireless carriers still offer a weird, largely forgotten system where you can send an email as a text message. I used that to text my mom, thinking "She'll see a text before she would see an email" to say "I am locked out of my apartment and don't have access to my phone. I need you to call [apartment office number] and follow the prompts for emergency maintenance. Please email me when you get this." What followed was an hour of the dumbest back-and-forth possible; mom wouldn't send me an email as requested and instead tried to call/text me multiple times (Which I knew because my Fitbit was connected to my phone - inside my locked apartment - and I'd see the notifications.) I would send her another email-to-text - "I saw that you tried to call. I can't physically access my phone. Please email me." And she would try calling again.

Finally I sent an email saying "Did you make that call? Because if you haven't I need to ask somebody else before my battery dies." And then the reply: "Oh those were all real." As I found out later, even though the email-to-texts were coming from an official AT&T service number, they were showing up on her phone as "Potential Spam," and she didn't want to reply or even send an email because she was convinced that it was some kind of scam.

When I go on a run now, I take my actual phone.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

What?

Shut up, you were thinking it too.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
that great classic train sound: poop poop

Jucika "60 - Jucika and the Easter Gift"

"61 - Jucika buys a Movie Ticket"

"Háztartási Bolt = Supply Store, Pénztár = Checkout Counter"

Jules? Half-assing something in Mark Trail? The hell you say.

I think putting that detailed duck so close to "boy do I not give a poo poo" art in panel 1 is another anecdotal evidence nail in the coffin of Jules as a tracer. It really doesn't make sense to nail 80-90% of the panel and then just give up. "What does Happy's head shot look like? I drew it two days ago. Who has time for that?" And not sure why an artist would continually submit bad shots of something they can't draw. Practice in your off time until you got it down? Even Rob Liefeld was smart enough to crop feet out of his art. A shame he struggled to draw most of the human body too.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

jesus lol

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

PetraCore posted:

I can't stay silent. Jules has gone too far this time. Normally I think the Sunday Mark Trails are the best, but this one is all wrong. Velella is not a siphonophore, although it used to be classified as one - currently they're considered porpitids, sometimes called chondrophores even though that's an outdated term. Both siphonophores and porpitids are colonial organisms made up of individual zooids with specialized roles that can't survive independent of the colony and appearing to be one cohesive entity, but porpitids are a family in the subclass Anthoathecata, and siphonophores are also in the Hydrozoa class, but they're an Order of the subclass Hydroidolina. Considering Velella and Porpita to be siphonophores simply because they're colonial hydrozoa living on the surface of the ocean like the Man-of-war is incorrect, and the classification I'm laying out here has been a thing since, like, 1954, so long than Jules has been alive.

Normally I'd be like, well, whatever, what does it matter, but this is presented as an educational comic. Other things that annoy me about the specific strip is that Jules repeatedly calls them jellyfish when they don't even resemble jellyfish that closely - certainly much less than a Man-of-war does - and that the focus is entirely on them washing up on beaches without going into a couple of other interesting details to get people interested - like, the velella featured in the comic is actually only half their life cycle, the polyp colony. Colonies asexually release medusa, and when the medusa are sexually mature they reproduce with each other to produce larva that form colonies as they grow into maturity. Each colony is made up of only male or female polyps, so each colony only produces male or female medusa, so one colony can't just reproduce with itself past the one-generation release of medusa.

You’re going to email the syndicate, right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Darthemed posted:

You’re going to email the syndicate, right?
For this kind of outrage only a real and proper paper letter in an envelope will do!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

PetraCore posted:

This is professor Bee Sharp levels of misinformation.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are bats bugs though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are bats bugs though?

Bug eaters, I'd say.