Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrunkleStalin posted:

Somebody is butt hurt they aren’t the main character.

Even while half his posts are about how much he doesn’t like personal anecdotes, and the other half are… personal anecdotes

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there actually any significant difference between cat and dog food in terms of what goes in it? I mean I would assume so but it doesn't seem like either species would discriminate much.

Only in which vitamins and nutrients they add. Its not great for dogs to live off cat food and vice versa. Iirc there is also way more fat in cat food for reasons and that will help a dog become a chonk. My yellow lab loves cat food so i gotta be careful she doesn’t scarf it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

But honestly like, is there any major benefit to completely sheltering kids from sugar, aside from situations involving genuine health conditions?

Quite the opposite, usually. It has an alarmingly high tendency to lead to eating disorders and obesity. Being restricted tends to lead you to go nuts once you get off the leash, and the attitude behind it tends to have the same effect as obsessing over a kid's weight - they develop a complex.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for taking my 2 Y.O. niece for ice cream by my sister's request, even though my gf and I agree sugar isn't good for young babies.

Just lol at all of this basically, although OP does seem to have his heart in the right place. But honestly like, is there any major benefit to completely sheltering kids from sugar, aside from situations involving genuine health conditions? I am not a parent so I obviously don't have an informed opinion at all, but isn't it better to just try to teach self control and moderation?

Oh, so you say you want to be a positive male role model to help your niece navigate a predatory culture of body shaming that creates and monetizes women's eating disorders, but when you have the opportunity to rigidly police a child's diet and tell a woman you know better than her what's right for her daughter's body you just completely drop the ball??? Thanks for nothing I guess!

EDIT: I think OP may be getting catfished by this AI

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for taking my 2 Y.O. niece for ice cream by my sister's request, even though my gf and I agree sugar isn't good for young babies.

Just lol at all of this basically, although OP does seem to have his heart in the right place. But honestly like, is there any major benefit to completely sheltering kids from sugar, aside from situations involving genuine health conditions? I am not a parent so I obviously don't have an informed opinion at all, but isn't it better to just try to teach self control and moderation?

No, and it isn't like smoothies are the exact same poo poo. Sugar is sugar, and everybody likes it, because it tastes good. Kids should be encouraged to develop a broad palate (because being picky is no way to go through life), and an awareness of portion, and should choose water when they are thirsty, and there aren't many other fights worth having about the subject.

This is a joyless controlling gently caress trying to inflict joyless fuckery on others to sanctify themselves.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

tinytort posted:

Cat food has taurine added in, because cats need it. Dogs do not require taurine for their health, so dog food doesn't have any taurine in it. It's why cats aren't supposed to eat primarily dog food, since they'll end up taurine deficient.

Cat food is also higher is protein and fat as they are obligate carnivores. Feeding a dog a diet of cat food can lead to obesity, gastrointestinal issues, and possible liver and kidney problems. It's fine as a treat.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Quite the opposite, usually. It has an alarmingly high tendency to lead to eating disorders and obesity. Being restricted tends to lead you to go nuts once you get off the leash, and the attitude behind it tends to have the same effect as obsessing over a kid's weight - they develop a complex.

I'm no child psychologist or nutritonist or anything but I was never denied any particular foods growing up, but we also never kept snacks in the house. So as an adult, whenever something tasty enters my vision I basically feel a need to eat all of it immediately. It's not enough to be disordered, like I won't eat three pints of ice cream if someone brings them home. But I remember in HS I visited a friend's house and she had a whole cupboard full of just snack food and I remember wondering how they had so much and didn't immediately feel the need to chow down lol.

Pretty sure the healthiest thing is to let kids taste a variety of foods and encourage diversity, while providing healthy nutritious meals. A lot of kids will default to liking the nutritious stuff if that's what they were brought up with, but it doesn't mean they can't have a slice of pizza at school or something if they feel like it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I found out that loving anything will eat cat food when my parents had raccoons in the attic and animal control put out cages in the yard with cans of Fancy Feast in them. Over the course of two weeks they caught several cats, a possum, a couple of squirrels, and a duck.

Notably no racoons?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

tinytort posted:

Cat food has taurine added in, because cats need it. Dogs do not require taurine for their health, so dog food doesn't have any taurine in it. It's why cats aren't supposed to eat primarily dog food, since they'll end up taurine deficient.

Just soak dog food in redbull. Problem solved :pseudo:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Angrymog posted:

Notably no racoons?

Oh the mother and two cubs were eventually caught. It's just that every other animal in the area passed through those cages first. The duck in particular had sort of a "Yeah, you got me" attitude.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

dog nougat posted:

Just soak dog food in redbull. Problem solved :pseudo:

You do not want to give your cat wings :ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if the kid ate it all he would have gotten it paid for. And he got warned about the difficulty several times. Gambled and lost.

Shouldn't have let the kid watch the shows about high steaks gambling.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

edit: posting twice in a row, my shame is great.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Shouldn't have let the kid watch the shows about high steaks gambling.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

AITA for telling my wife the truth?

quote:

A little back story. My wife and I met at 21. We’ve been very happy together every since. We got married at 28 when she was pregnant with our daughter. I work full time in a very high stress but lucrative field. My wife stays home to take care of our little girl and the household. We are both 33.

Lately we have been fighting a lot, mostly about her “workload”. I’ve tried to be understanding, I now leave work 30 minutes early every day to pick up our daughter from school. A few weeks ago my wife really went off and kept ranting about hiring a cleaning lady so she wasn’t always so stressed. Red flags started going off in my head but I kept my concerns to myself. Our house is only 2700sqft and it’s only the 3 humans and 2 dogs. Not exactly a huge load responsibility wise. I figured she’d cool off and calm down in a few days. Nope. She started demanding I let her know what wage I’d be willing to pay! She wants to put out ads! I told her I’d take care of it. Instead I grabbed my assistant at work and sat him at my laptop for the week with the password to my home security. She’s averaging around two hours of activity a day.

7am : Wake up and get our daughter ready for the bus 8:15 : Back to bed, dogs left unwalked and unfed 11:10 - 2pm : Wake up again, let the dogs out back for nowhere near long enough, throw food in the bowls for them. Order breakfast and coffee, text message me about the ridiculous amount of dishes breakfast for her and my daughter created ( a single bowl and a single spoon in reality). Lounge around and watch TV and scroll on her phone.

2-3:30 : Very minimalistic cleaning, mostly things that are glaringly obvious. Texts me while doing so vastly inflating the difficulty level and level of actual dirt.

3:30 - I pull in after picking up my daughter.

This was all of last week and most of the week before. I confronted her on Friday. Told her I wouldn’t be hiring anyone and that she really needs to pull it together, she’s contributing almost nothing and is complaining and lying about the little she does do. That obviously didn’t go over well. She lost the plot and just continues to lie about her work load.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?
:wtc:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Just read that one, the lady has depression or is just lazy but having your assistant spy on her for a week does not bode well for the relationship.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Clocks posted:

AITA for telling my wife the truth?

:wtc:
I started reading that, thinking well if it's just a couple dogs and a kid that's in school full time then yeah they need to figure something out because one person should be able to maintain the house pretty eas- oh my god he got his assistant to creep on her the entire day :wtc:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Solenna posted:

I started reading that, thinking well if it's just a couple dogs and a kid that's in school full time then yeah one person should be able to maintain the house pretty eas- oh my god he got his assistant to creep on her the entire day :wtc:

For a week!

Honestly it could be a coinflip about whether she's lazy or has other underlying issues (like depression, especially if this isn't common for her) but having someone spy on her is just gross. Plus, does he know what time she's asleep and awake because he has cameras in the bedroom too? Yikes yikes yikes.

edit: vvvvv yeah, I get around potential food issues by just not having most stuff in the house or going out of my way to get more snacks. For instance, my ex's ex gained like 50lbs through disordered eating because she'd go out of her way to get more food, so I'm glad I don't have that habit at least.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Clocks posted:

I'm no child psychologist or nutritonist or anything but I was never denied any particular foods growing up, but we also never kept snacks in the house. So as an adult, whenever something tasty enters my vision I basically feel a need to eat all of it immediately. It's not enough to be disordered, like I won't eat three pints of ice cream if someone brings them home. But I remember in HS I visited a friend's house and she had a whole cupboard full of just snack food and I remember wondering how they had so much and didn't immediately feel the need to chow down lol.

I wasn’t particularly denied anything as a kid and I’m not particularly drawn to snacks, but if I have snacks in the house I will just eat them. I don’t really get the point of “saving” snacks for later since any time is as good as any other, and I don’t want to worry about stuff going moldy eventually. I just don’t buy snacks in the first place for the most part

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kuros posted:

Just read that one, the lady has depression or is just lazy but having your assistant spy on her for a week does not bode well for the relationship.

would you rather he had a complete stranger spy on her?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Why pay extra money for a cleaner when you can just get your already-paid assistant to spy on your wife so you can call her a loving liar? :mrgw:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Pretty simple, honestly. Your marriage/relationship is over. You decided spying on your spouse was acceptable. Not to mention, you ordered a member of your staff to do the spying. You're going to be paying.

OP posted:

Fortunately if things do degrade that far I will be fine. Our country isn’t quite that westernized. My prenup will hold strong and she will be largely ignored by the legal system once I sue for full custody in that event.

no worries, in my country women aren't legally human beings :smuggo:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Foo Diddley posted:

no worries, in my country women aren't legally human beings :smuggo:

What countries say sqft but aren't "westernized"

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

My guess was one of the Gulf states. There's a sizable American influence in many of those areas, and many of the rich people there go to school in the US or UK.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My guess was one of the Gulf states. There's a sizable American influence in many of those areas, and many of the rich people there go to school in the US or UK.

yeah but they don't pay their maids

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah but they don't "pay" their "maids"

call it what it is

slavery

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

From OP's use of ah mah in other answers about the kid's previous nanny, maybe Singapore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for gossiping about an autistic person and damaging their social life?

quote:

I (18F) took an elective class in high school with “Autumn”, (16NB). I have now graduated and completed my first year of college, but I’m home for the summer and have been spending some time with my high school friends.

Autumn is autistic and has trouble understanding social norms. They will sometimes “headcannon” people as a specific gender identity or sexual orientation and in a relationship with another person that they know. It makes a lot of people really uncomfortable, but Autumn doesn’t understand why despite this being explained to them gently multiple times. Autumn and I were never close, but they “headcannoned” me as pansexual and in a relationship with them, and I couldn’t quite explain to them why I didn’t like that.

I met up for lunch with a high school friend yesterday and she asked me if I was really dating Autumn. She is not friends with Autumn or in their social circle in any way, so I was super confused as to why she thought that, especially since I have a boyfriend and would never date a high school sophomore as a college student. Apparently, Autumn has been telling people that we are in a relationship. I was absolutely mortified and said no, I wasn’t, and then told her about all the “headcannoning”. She was equally mortified and told our friends, and I guess word got out to pretty much the rest of the school.

Autumn’s mother reached out to me via social media DMs today to tell me that she understands the dating thing was uncomfortable, but my “rumors” about their child have been spreading around the school, and that they’re devastated because nobody wants to talk to them anymore because they think they’re “creepy”. I told her that I’m sorry it’s impacting their social life, but that it’s not a rumor since they really did everything I told my friend about. She said that Autumn didn’t understand that it was wrong and I’m already gone from the school, so I could have just said that we weren’t dating and left it at that since the headcannoning part wasn’t affecting me anymore anyway, so I really just needlessly ruined their social life for something they can’t help. I honestly don’t think I was in the wrong, but I want to get some other opinions. AITA?

EDIT: Just as a clarification, Autumn has admitted that they know we aren't actually dating when I tried to explain why this is uncomfortable, they just don't understand why it would be harmful to make something like that up. Also, "headcannon" is the term Autumn uses to describe it. I didn't know what it meant about two hours ago until people were explaining in the comments. Sorry if it's used incorrectly here but I'm just describing it how they did.
:catstare:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

headcannon eh?

That's a pretty great visual.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'll admit I have found some things too "bready" but that's mostly that they use huge fluffy dry buns and all you can taste is bun and almost nothing else.

And you know what I do? Accept that it's just the way it is, and choose not to order it next time because it's not really what I like.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Guy gets one over on his MIL.

AITA for giving my wife her birthday gift early to keep my MIL from stealing the idea?

quote:

My wife just had her 40th birthday. For several weeks she has been talking about a special event she wants to attend ( won't mention what to maintain anonymity) so I bought her tickets.

My MIL wrote me asking for ideas for my wife's birthday. I told her my wife's favorite restaurants and what she expressed to me she wants to do for the family gathering.

MIL insisted that she wanted to do some sort of activity with my wife. Not go out to eat. So I told MIL about special event and that I already bought tickets.

For the next several days MIL was acting very sketchy. She insisted that she and her daughter meet up for a girls day.

I read the writing on the wall and assumed my MIL wanted to steal my gift giving thunder , so I surprised my wife with the tickets the day before she was to meet up with her mom.

Sure enough, MIl did buy another set of tickets to the event. Told my wife she over heard her talking about it and that she wanted to surprise her before her birthday.

My wife told her that was very kind but that she already had tickets from me. Maybe she( mil) could find some one who wanted to join and we could all go together. That would be fun.

Mil took it in stride that day ( so I hear, I wasn't there) but the next day she called me and told me I was horrible for giving her her gift early.

I asked her why she bought tickets to the same event and why she tried to give her gift early if I'm horrible for doing the same thing. She told me it's her right as mother and that I was horrible. Then she hung up on me.

So, aita?
Powerful move by OP there, LOL @MIL.

The "event" is a Taylor Swift concert, right?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's got to be, she's the only musician AITA has ever heard of

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
MIL can take solace in the fact that resale value for taytay tickets is insane

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

MIL can take solace in the fact that resale value for taytay tickets is insane

yeah there's apparently that much reported on phenomenon where Swifties seemingly suffer event amnesia after leaving the concert and can only really remember it when being shown the videos they took of it. Big demand to always experience something for the first time all over again.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pentyne posted:

yeah there's apparently that much reported on phenomenon where Swifties seemingly suffer event amnesia after leaving the concert and can only really remember it when being shown the videos they took of it. Big demand to always experience something for the first time all over again.

That happened to me when i saw nine inch nails, the most magical night of my life almost, but its just a haze of having an insanely good time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

uranium grass posted:

From OP's use of ah mah in other answers about the kid's previous nanny, maybe Singapore.

Which is funny because it's like, the most Westernized Asian country.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My Daughter Won't Eat Steamed Vegetables

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

These days, because of inflation, our family has begun to change our diets a bit. My 12-year-old, however, has been struggling a lot with it. Because veggies typically eaten raw (romaine lettuce, peppers, salad greens, etc.) have become more expensive, we’ve switched to eating a lot of steamed vegetables, and she hates it. She will gladly eat salads and raw veggies of pretty much any kind, and she doesn’t have a problem with eating healthy foods in general. It’s cooked vegetables, however, that really set her off. Any time I give them to her, she picks at her plate for at least an hour, and it has become really frustrating.

She explained to me that she hates the squishy and mushy texture of cooked vegetables, as well as the smell, but nobody else in our family, including my younger child, has a problem with it. Apparently (she could be exaggerating), she has wanted to throw up while eating them, so that may give you a sense of her discomfort. I’ve explained the reason why we’ve switched to eating fewer raw veggies, and while she understands, I really wish she would stop behaving like she’s eating some kind of poison when I serve her dinner. My husband and I put effort into preparing dinner, and I’ve begun to interpret her behavior as ungrateful. She’s 12! She should be able to, for lack of a better euphemism, suck it up. What should I do?

— Eat Your (Cooked) Vegetables

The advice given is that op is overcooking the veggies, and they should use seasonings and alternate cooking methods.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

DemoneeHo posted:

The advice given is that op is overcooking the veggies, and they should use seasonings and alternate cooking methods.

OP calls them steamed vegetables despite the fact they're obviously grilled?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DemoneeHo posted:

1. Boil water
2. Add veggies
3. Cook them for no more than 2 minutes

Salt, black pepper, and garlic can be added to the water for extra flavor.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DemoneeHo posted:

Sounds like they switched to frozen veggies because they’re cheaper and frozen veggies turn to mush when cooked. What veggies are they referring to that aren’t “typically eaten raw”?

gently caress mushy veggies - they suck. I prefer to have a little crunch to my veggies whether they’re raw or cooked. It’s a texture thing. Kid is alright in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I grew up thinking I hated vegetables because we had bland, mushy steamed ones all the time. So many of them are incredible roasted and such, I think I would've loved them even as a kid if they'd been cooked differently.