Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There's obviously the three retinue system, which is just way better than one general per army especially for the fantasy element games, but just how units control and move feels way better. 3K cav are just incredible and not even the most juiced up Bretonnian charge can match that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I assume we'll see 3K's engine again with Medieval 3, whenever that's official

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nephthys posted:

Reddit has a thread linking to a gamewatcher article with all of the different faction playstyle overviews but given that CA hasn't officially revealed anyone but Ramesses' I'm not sure about its authenticity: https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/total-war-pharaoh-factions-list

If it is accurate it looks like a decent spread of styles.

Finally, a game where you can play as the Hittites that isn't Age of Empires or Civilization

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Eimi posted:

There's obviously the three retinue system, which is just way better than one general per army especially for the fantasy element games, but just how units control and move feels way better. 3K cav are just incredible and not even the most juiced up Bretonnian charge can match that.

I’m really mixed on the three retinues honestly. Unit selection and army redeployment and so on with it is great, but on the other hand it means 3 of your and your enemy’s 20 unit slots are taken up with some kind of super elite cavalry every single battle.

I guess my complaint is part of a broader “bring back the 3 ashigaru vs 3 ashigaru battles” thing in how the battles with crap units are actually some of the best and it’s a shame you only get them in the very early game now, but 3 kingdoms is imo the worst in the series for that.

E: just reflecting on this a bit more, I think it’s legit one of the reasons I always return to Shogun 2. You get an incredible mix of battles in terms of both size and quality for the entire game; you have your 5000 to a size mega shows with your stack of specced out warrior monks, and then get to cool off defending podunk castle with 3 ashigaru and a samurai retainer afterwards. The unit variety is the lowest but the battle variety is the highest. In every game since, after you get your doomstacks rolling in 20-50 turns, you never look back.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 4, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've thought this for the longest time but Shogun's setting is basically the pike and shot era game I've been wanting: few to no shields so ranged shooting is very potent, handguns so gunpowder is a thing and heavy armor is readily countered, good cavalry, etc. The rock papers scissors aspect is extremely strong in that game and it leads to a lot of emphasis on good, smart tactical play.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fuligin posted:

I'm not sure we will. Obviously I'd like that though.

But I suspect a lot more CA devs are familiar with the warhammer branch.

I have a sinking feeling we ain't seeing that engine again outside of 3k2 if that ever appears, which I suspect it will coz I think it did pretty well right?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They very abruptly cut the support cycle for 3k, so either it got dropped completely or CA didn't want to go through all the ideas they had.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I remember some complaints that they never released a DLC set during the actual Three Kingdoms era. Wasn't the whole point of that era though that everyone was essentially deadlocked and nothing really happened? I could see that being pretty tough to get right, or even functional.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tbf being functional or not didn't stop them from doing that weird earlier start date with the emperor still being around that tends to gently caress the whole game up unless you're playing yellow turbans

I think a 3k start woulda been fine, just a start with 3 big power blocks and their vassals but they'd have had to change the victory conditions

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fuligin posted:

I think there's evidence (e.g. recruiting calls they put out a bit back) that it's gonna be a totally new engine.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

Tbf being functional or not didn't stop them from doing that weird earlier start date with the emperor still being around that tends to gently caress the whole game up unless you're playing yellow turbans

I think a 3k start woulda been fine, just a start with 3 big power blocks and their vassals but they'd have had to change the victory conditions

Yeah definitely, maybe to focusing on defeating key figures so everything crumbles, kind of like the reverse of the Emperor start. I could see a start like that just very quickly becoming a map painter with doomstacks, though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

All they needed was a start date just after red cliffs. Then you'd still have some small powers alongside big mac Wu and Wei, with Liu Bei poised to actually found Shu-Han in the right gd place for once

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Koramei posted:

I’m really mixed on the three retinues honestly. Unit selection and army redeployment and so on with it is great, but on the other hand it means 3 of your and your enemy’s 20 unit slots are taken up with some kind of super elite cavalry every single battle.

I guess my complaint is part of a broader “bring back the 3 ashigaru vs 3 ashigaru battles” thing in how the battles with crap units are actually some of the best and it’s a shame you only get them in the very early game now, but 3 kingdoms is imo the worst in the series for that.

E: just reflecting on this a bit more, I think it’s legit one of the reasons I always return to Shogun 2. You get an incredible mix of battles in terms of both size and quality for the entire game; you have your 5000 to a size mega shows with your stack of specced out warrior monks, and then get to cool off defending podunk castle with 3 ashigaru and a samurai retainer afterwards. The unit variety is the lowest but the battle variety is the highest. In every game since, after you get your doomstacks rolling in 20-50 turns, you never look back.

I feel like it'd work for Medieval where a bunch of crap levies and a couple uber elite cavalry units is basically how battles went tbf

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I still think you could make a good strategy game out of the actual three kingdoms part, but it's definitely not easy (none of the actual romance of the three kingdoms games have really done it, although they usually include post-red cliffs start dates just to have em). Historically a badly planned campaign could set someone back for years and when two sides worked together they were never certain they could actually rely on the other partner. The supply and reinforcement systems in TW3K don't really punish you like that, and there's no reason you even need to concentrate your armies for one "campaign" instead of just spreading them out along the border and pressing everywhere at the same time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think TW will ever have the AI necessary for the diplomacy required for that kind of game to be interesting

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
the base shogun 2 experience is spamming yari ashigaru and bow ashigaru for 80 turns or whatever until you can build up your economy since yari wall is busted

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
After years of durdling around the edges of the map, training as many samurai as I could afford and being poor, the best Shogun 2 campaign I ever had was doing that as the Oda, starting right in the middle, hemmed in on all sides and totally reliant on unique buildings for the stat buffs to my peasants. I literally never trained a unit with "samurai" in the name. I trained a lot of cav, and I'm pretty sure they're all meant to be sams, but whatever. Man it ruled. I haven't replayed it since then and I don't know how that mindset affects the long-term fun of that game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just liked how katana samurai actually were completely dominant ashigaru troops, especially on the charge. You got a lot of mileage out of peppering the enemy with arrows and then breaking them on the charge.

With horses actually being strong enough to kill off routing units in a decent amount of time, its the last total war that felt like the battles had about the right level of longevity to it.

I actually remember having to teach myself that horses weren't all poo poo despite the enemy having the units to really gently caress up cav en masse.

gently caress i'm about to install it again aren't i

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Randallteal posted:

I still think you could make a good strategy game out of the actual three kingdoms part, but it's definitely not easy (none of the actual romance of the three kingdoms games have really done it, although they usually include post-red cliffs start dates just to have em). Historically a badly planned campaign could set someone back for years and when two sides worked together they were never certain they could actually rely on the other partner. The supply and reinforcement systems in TW3K don't really punish you like that, and there's no reason you even need to concentrate your armies for one "campaign" instead of just spreading them out along the border and pressing everywhere at the same time.

To make an actual three kingdoms start interesting the basic 'unit' of interaction needs to be character to character, not independent faction to independent faction. So basically like Crusader Kings or the ROTK games where you play as a character (not a ruler). ROTK 13 and 8 do that reasonablely well. That shift towards the player being an actual character (instead of an omnipresent entity that controls a faction) is what I think they are going to really go for in TW:3k 2 the sequel.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Captain Beans posted:

To make an actual three kingdoms start interesting the basic 'unit' of interaction needs to be character to character, not independent faction to independent faction. So basically like Crusader Kings or the ROTK games where you play as a character (not a ruler). ROTK 13 and 8 do that reasonablely well. That shift towards the player being an actual character (instead of an omnipresent entity that controls a faction) is what I think they are going to really go for in TW:3k 2 the sequel.
To actually do the Three Kingdoms era proper justice, you would need to model the incessant factionalism and political power struggles (and violent coups, in the case of Wu and especially Wei) that existed in all three kingdoms and effectively paralyzed Wei for long stretches of time until the Sima clan finally consolidated its hold on power.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

To actually do the Three Kingdoms era proper justice, you would need to model the incessant factionalism and political power struggles (and violent coups, in the case of Wu and especially Wei) that existed in all three kingdoms and effectively paralyzed Wei for long stretches of time until the Sima clan finally consolidated its hold on power.

Oh, so in TW style, a field battle or two and a settlement to take over :v:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

to some degree that gets tedious imo. i dont think people want to play a game where things are going to always tend to play out the way they did historically. i think most people want a game where they can potentially win starting as any faction/character.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

zetamind2000 posted:

Finally, a game where you can play as the Hittites that isn't Age of Empires or Civilization

Old World has them, and you have to interact with their culture on a slightly more than a cursory level like the above because they had to model factions/families.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you're not trying to make a game authentic to the Cambridge History of Ancient China version of the three kingdoms, you're trying to make a game authentic to the folklore/pop culture version of the three kingdoms with the dueling generals and the baby-throwing and the three visits and the taoist weather magic

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Imagine making a game called the three kingdoms and not having a three kingdoms start. I get there are challenges but it’s a massive major oversight.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The actual three kingdoms part is the most boring by far. I don't get why people are so hung up on that poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The three kingdoms can be interesting but it’s almost all internal politics before it just kind of ends

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
If it’s so boring, why center a game around it?

Like, I get it could be historical boring, but they could have spruced it up. Instead, we get a start period after the three kingdoms, like come on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Personally, the idea that the actual three kingdoms period is boring is the draw of it. The fact that it's supposed to be a stalemate is what makes me want to pick one of the factions and try to claw my way into winning. Give me three complete dumpster fires of factions with crappy faction effects, over-extended territories and huge corruption and let me spin gold out of them.

Kind of like how in the original Rome you could play as the full roman empire just before its collapse in one of the expansions and the idea is trying to save it from the brink.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 5, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lord Packinham posted:

Like, I get it could be historical boring, but they could have spruced it up. Instead, we get a start period after the three kingdoms, like come on.

I mean the period its centered around is extremely well known as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It's not literally based on only the portion of that period where there were three kingdoms. "Total War: End of the Han Dynasty" doesn't have the same instant recognition.

I tend to agree with others that having a start with the three kingdoms would be really boring. Even the Yuan Shao vs Cao Cao start was a drag unless you wanted to play a smaller faction trying to overthrow them IMO. The fun of the game is starting small and growing into something big. Starting as a huge, nearly unassailable, empire just isn't as appealing.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Lord Packinham posted:

It's centered around the best bits of it though, I reckon; it doesn't need to be beholden exactly to its title.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Packinham posted:

the sanguo yanyi is basically like the illiad in china if everyone still knew the story, it made up approximately 50% of all popular media, and you can't walk into a restaurant without seeing a statue or a painting of one of the main characters

so not like the illiad at all, come to think of it. the story is also popular pretty much everywhere else in the sinosphere, though not to that extent

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Starting as a huge, nearly unassailable, empire just isn't as appealing.
To me they didnt feel unassailable because they had horrible city design, enemies on most fronts, a bunch of poorly filled out armies with lovely generals, and funny shaped territory that was a pain to manage. Similar to how Nephthys said that playing as West Rome when it was on the verge of total collapse was fun in its own way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the WRE stuff works because a lot of its threats are tiny but mobile. Like the ERE is more similar to the three kingdoms and no one really cares

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Lord Packinham posted:

The good news is CA didn't center a game around it.

I have absolutely nothing good to say about the 8 princes dlc though

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

yeah it's the Romance of the Three Kingdoms game, not the Three Kingdoms period game, the Three Kingdoms period being the endgame

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
About 2/3rds of Romance of the Three Kingdoms happens before the Three Kingdoms come into being.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

To me they didnt feel unassailable because they had horrible city design, enemies on most fronts, a bunch of poorly filled out armies with lovely generals, and funny shaped territory that was a pain to manage. Similar to how Nephthys said that playing as West Rome when it was on the verge of total collapse was fun in its own way.

That's all true but even considering those factors, its basically impossible to lose when you're in a very strong position to begin with. I tend to play on VH or Legendary and did both Cao Cao and Yuan Shao for the sake of it, and it just never felt like a challenge. There was the occasional minor setback but that's it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's like 40 loving chapters or something of it after zhuge liang, the last character that anyone cares about, bites it, and i swear to god i could not tell you a single thing that happened in any of them unless they were covered by a dynasty warriors game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's not an inaccurate term. The "romance" of the Three Kingdoms is that all the cool poo poo happens before the actual thing, where it bogs down to stagnancy and the known characters dying of sickness or age.