Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Stux posted:

overpower blood surge feels good af

This is bragging about how good your build feels in white maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kaldaris posted:

Five and a half hours before I can play my welfare copy of Diablo IV. I took the day off. Am I going to be hosed by servers on "official" launch?

I would say there is a good chance but maybe not

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Azubah posted:

Doubtful, the servers have been pretty good at keeping up in early access.

They were pretty okay in the stress test, but early access isn't the bulk of the players that are gonna be coming in.

euphronius posted:

I would say there is a good chance but maybe not

Crossing my fingers then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kaldaris posted:

They were pretty okay in the stress test, but early access isn't the bulk of the players that are gonna be coming in.

Crossing my fingers then.

Took off specifically to play a game on release/patch day huh? If I can't log in tonight I'm blaming you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Now that I finished the campaign, the rest of you can log in

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Anyone know if tier 2 drops more legendaries than tier 1?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Uniques really are kind of 'build defining' at least when you land the good ones.

I've found 2 so far (other than the ring)

One is 'every third cast of fireball shoots 2 fireballs' - kind of (really) boring.

The other is 'static bolts pierce but do 30% less damage' - ok... this one has potential.
Then I mixed it with the 'static bolts have a chance to home in and last 300% longer' and my GOD
R-click to delete an entire room.

Sometimes the uniques need a little help.

Not like my friend with his bone spear unique that adds loving trailing explosions to it, basically doubling the damage of his already insane spears.
Or one that turns corpse explosion into kamikaze homing zombies.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Really enjoying this game so far. Feels and looks great.

I'm a little curious why I'm not really getting drops for stuff my level any more. I'm 33, have campaign missions open in a2 and a3 in wt1. The gear that has been dropping after thirty is still level 23-25 stuff. Maybe there's a gap? It's just weird that I was finding character level equipment until 10 levels or so and it just kinda stuck.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tier 1 drops a lot of legendaries from what I’ve seen

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

DarkDobe posted:

Uniques really are kind of 'build defining' at least when you land the good ones.

Just dropped one that turns my druid into a Bear all the time, so casting any earth spell transforms me and gives me shapeshifting bonuses. It also gives +2 to all my bear skills. Pretty awesome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Target Practice posted:

Really enjoying this game so far. Feels and looks great.

I'm a little curious why I'm not really getting drops for stuff my level any more. I'm 33, have campaign missions open in a2 and a3 in wt1. The gear that has been dropping after thirty is still level 23-25 stuff. Maybe there's a gap? It's just weird that I was finding character level equipment until 10 levels or so and it just kinda stuck.

The equip level is low I think

Go by the item power level

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh neat, turns out there's a 'skip story' button on characters already created. I don't have to delete my sorc after all. You just can't reverse it and re-enable the story for that character once you hit it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Vasudus posted:

Oh neat, turns out there's a 'skip story' button on characters already created. I don't have to delete my sorc after all. You just can't reverse it and re-enable the story for that character once you hit it.

Oh neat, where does that show up? Character select?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

This is bragging about how good your build feels in white maps.

this is the highest tier nightmare i have rn

https://i.imgur.com/sRRLIcs.mp4

also it dropped my first unique

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

The citizens of the diablo world love 2 things:

Dying horribly
Building insanely huge underground structures that consist of narrow walkways and bottomless pits on both sides

They also like torturing themselves and others, though I guess that could fall under "Dying horribly"

Gonna be honest, I think that Inarius was onto something when (Act 1) he's like "this world is rotting from the inside out." I think it's reasonable to look at Sanctuary and be like "yeah, this didn't work out so well."

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Magus42 posted:

Oh neat, where does that show up? Character select?

Yeah, it's off to the right side by changing the world tier / delete character. Was all set to delete it and saw it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there a way to turn off or minimize the area effects of other players in your party? I have some friends who are playing Blight necro and meteor sorc and the sorc has issues where they cant see where any of their meteors are landing because of constantly layers of blight overlaying the circle.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a way to turn off or minimize the area effects of other players in your party? I have some friends who are playing Blight necro and meteor sorc and the sorc has issues where they cant see where any of their meteors are landing because of constantly layers of blight overlaying the circle.

I'd like to know this as well but for myself. I can't see poo poo with my blighted explosions, it's a pain.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CBD Corndog posted:

Lutris works, or you can add the BNet installer to steam, install the launcher in desktop mode, add the launcher to steam, install D4 in game mode

Does it run better if you go the Bnet launcher route as opposed to using Lutris? I got it running with Lutris and it works okay I guess, but it has gotten stuck on the map screen a few times and the process of opening Lutris, opening the launcher from there, then opening the actual D4 game from there feels clunky and kind of takes a while.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I'm level 53 on my barb running around WT3 and in an awkward situation where I haven't gotten any upgrades for a few levels but the monsters keep getting stronger. Does not feel super great.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just finished the campaign. I found myself surprisingly invested and I'm looking forward to where it goes. Also I love that the trailer they released with the battle in hell actually ends with the church of light getting loving rolled and Inarius got his wings torn off. Such a great scene. In general the entire portion of the game that occurs in hell is the best. Just non stop chaos and action. I felt like I was in a rift for the first time.

Looking forward to going some farming for better gear on my druid moving forward - and cleaning up the map and unlocking aspects. I know they nerfed it, but the pulverize build still feels so good. Casting pulverize is the kind of chunky/meaty attack I love to spam and watch mobs explode.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm back at work today after a week's vacation, and had to call it quits last night at the very start of Act 6. I am pumped and I just know servers are going to be hosed tonight. I wish I'd done less exploring and side dungeons so I would have finished by now.

If you make a new character before beating the campaign, are you stuck doing the campaign with them if you then beat it with your main and unlock adventure mode for your account? Or can you leave story mode for adventure mode anytime?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol spoilers my man

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know if I specced right, my druid werebear either slaps enemies with his little mittens for negligible damage, or explodes entire monster packs. I gotta sit there and wail on a single stupid little skeleton for like 10 seconds.
Luckily there's no downside really to just running away or past monsters, so I just find another pack to trample into and overpower bearsmash

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Fattest PI posted:

I don't know if I specced right, my druid werebear either slaps enemies with his little mittens for negligible damage, or explodes entire monster packs. I gotta sit there and wail on a single stupid little skeleton for like 10 seconds.
Luckily there's no downside really to just running away or past monsters, so I just find another pack to trample into and overpower bearsmash

A few things helped werebear feel a lot more powerful for me:
- Get the combo of Unyielding Earth (pulverize becomes an earth skill) and Quicksand (earth skills slow enemies) aspects on your gear. These synergize nicely with some of the passives around earth skills and slowed enemies.
- Use Earth Spike instead of Maul for your generator attack. Earth Spike has range and attacks faster, and is an earth skill so it works well with the above aspect combo. Maul gets you a little more time in bear form, but seems like it sucks in every other way.
- The aspect that adds Landslide to Trample and turns it into an earth skill is also great.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Does it run better if you go the Bnet launcher route as opposed to using Lutris? I got it running with Lutris and it works okay I guess, but it has gotten stuck on the map screen a few times and the process of opening Lutris, opening the launcher from there, then opening the actual D4 game from there feels clunky and kind of takes a while.

I imagine it runs the same, just cuts down on some steps. I just open the launcher in steam > tap play. Since you've already downloaded everything you should just be able to add the launcher to Steam and skip the Lutris stuff

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

DrBox posted:

I'm level 53 on my barb running around WT3 and in an awkward situation where I haven't gotten any upgrades for a few levels but the monsters keep getting stronger. Does not feel super great.

That also happened to me, I'm 57 now and I think I've changed maybe 2 pieces since I assembled my endgame build at 50. I went and did all my altars and some renown farming and that was enough of a spike that I'm cruising through nightmare dungeons now. Getting a few rare nodes on the paragon board and a good glyph can make a huge difference.

Really hope I see my build defining aspect again though. Seen it exactly one time and it's on my current weapon. I have a well rolled weapon almost 100 item levels higher, I'm sure it'll drop any time now...

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
It seems like they actually listened to our feed-back.
Most of the "bring X and Y to Z to open it" quests have been reduced to "bring X to Z to open it" - wonderful!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warthog posted:

It seems like they actually listened to our feed-back.
Most of the "bring X and Y to Z to open it" quests have been reduced to "bring X to Z to open it" - wonderful!

Was there another patch?

Is Inarius a new character for d4?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If I fall to temptation and get the game, should I get the Digital Deluxe Edition if I plan to get the battle pass either way?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

zoux posted:

Was there another patch?

Is Inarius a new character for d4?

Nah, Inarius actually made an appearance in the D1 manual.

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Diablo.PDF

quote:

Overlords (Tyrannus Pinguis)
Even the Seraphim are not immune to the corruption of the
Dark Lords. One such angel, Inarius, was proud of his beauty
and boasted loudly of his purity and worth. His thoughts
became so clouded that he believed himself to be above both
Angel and Demon, and he left the High Heavens to form his
own dominion. He constructed a great cathedral of mirrored
glass and crystal, and followers flocked to him, drawn by his
numinous charm and wealth. Once Inarius had gathered a
sizable army, he decided to prove his power.

Inarius first laid siege to an infernal temple devoted to the
worship of Mephisto, but made the foolish mistake of
overestimating his prowess. The armies of Inarius laid waste
to the temple and killed the dark monks that dwelled within.
The Three Evils had considered the vain warrior a mere
nuisance and amusement until this time, but this was an insult
that they could not bear.

Mephisto himself is said to have appeared at the cathedral of
Inarius. He laid waste to the church and the surrounding
countryside. The Lord of Hatred took the proud archangel and
his followers captive. He bound Inarius with tremendous
chains and slowly tore the wings from the back of the angel.
Great barbed hooks were then used to stretch out the once
glowing skin and his features were distorted by vile powers.
Many of the followers of Inarius were given as gifts to Baal
and Diablo, but the rest were molded to match the bloated
image of the now crippled angel. To this day, Inarius is said to
be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn
from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form
for all eternity. His misguided followers now serve as Hell’s
taskmasters, taking the anguish of their lost glory out upon the
bodies of others.

He apparently got better.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Penetrating shot rogue was great for leveling, but not powerful enough for the end game since enemies have much more health so those string of darkness explosions were much more rare. Tried out death trap rouge which was great for group play and still very viable despite the nerf but the skill ceiling was high (read I can't seem to get gud) and it was a glass cannon so I was dying frequently. So I respecced my whole build for the second time after hitting 50 to a poison flurry rouge since I had most of the equipment and aspects in my stash including 2 of 3 possible healing methods and it's much better suited to my skill level and more casual preferred play style that's less heavily dependent on positioning. Now I just need the one unique to really crank the damage up, but plenty of other min/max stuff to do in the meantime.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

If I fall to temptation and get the game, should I get the Digital Deluxe Edition if I plan to get the battle pass either way?

I think the battlepass is 20 bucks either way, and you already missed the early access window mostly, so you'd just be getting the aptly named "temptation mount"

Also the battlepass doesn't activate until season 1 I think, getting it now does nothing.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think the battlepass is 20 bucks either way, and you already missed the early access window mostly, so you'd just be getting the aptly named "temptation mount"

Also the battlepass doesn't activate until season 1 I think, getting it now does nothing.

There are 2 paid battlepasses, the premium one which is :10bux: and the ULTRA-PREMIUM one which is :20bux: and adds a bunch of level skips

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Haha you get the "temptation" mount... eventually, after you've played like 30 hours. Takes so dang long to get your dang horse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So am I missing out on anything by not preordering so I can see if the servers are exploding?

Tried Druid in one of the betas but think I may roll Barb. I am a man of simple tastes.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

flashman posted:

Man the difference in rogue and sorc seems crazy? It's no trouble to do 10 levels ahead zone and just annihilate the screens on rogue, with almost no generator down time to speak of. Super mobile as well

It feels like there's something wrong, either with sorc or rogue. I'm barely able to keep up a couple thousand damage ticks as a firewall sorc, meanwhile I see rogues with similar gear doing multiple tens of thousands of damage instantly and just blowing up entire rooms.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ok, I give up. What's a "soul infused enemy" for that random event mastery?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

Haha you get the "temptation" mount... eventually, after you've played like 30 hours. Takes so dang long to get your dang horse.

Nah you can, and should, just focus acts 1-3 to get your mount at the start of act 4, then go back and do side stuff or whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Fattest PI posted:

personally annoyed me that you get the horse as late as you do. it doesn't even feel like super fast or anything! why gate it so relatively late

Sloober fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 5, 2023