Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have been watching some WW2 history.

Is it true that the West could have switched alliance to Hitler in some alternate timelines? Like only FDR really insisted on working with Stalin but not the rest of the US government. FDR could have died before the eastern front turn tide.

Also, what was the deal of Nazi troops giving Dunkirk a few days window to evacuate?

there were attempts to attack dunkirk, but the french set up a defensive line that the germans couldn't break through. even if they had broken through the french defense, the majority of the british equipment was right there too - all the tanks and guns and other equipment that the BEF and French forces had evacuated to avoid capture after arras were at the port. german commanders probably assumed that attempting to stop a large force backed into a corner with the highest concentration of materiel in europe from leaving was going to go incredibly poorly even if they could smash through the outer lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1665772725372166148

what a jerk everyone knows jens stoltenberg is a very smart norwegian herring

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also, what was the deal of Nazi troops giving Dunkirk a few days window to evacuate?

in short, the german high command thought that their encirclement of dunkirk was too shaky and that they needed a few days to consolidate in order to prevent any breakout attempts

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1665772725372166148

what a jerk everyone knows jens stoltenberg is a very smart norwegian herring

vladimir's right

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

geez guys stop making such a big deal about vaguely fascist insignia on soldiers its really no big deal look we do it too

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1665747299199270915

I got some bad news for folks when it comes to Fasces in U.S. Military decorations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

On the one hand it's absolutely wild how the Ukrainians are unwilling to even pretend to hide their Nazi affiliations. On the other hand, they don't have to because liberals will twist themselves into knots supporting them anyway.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Yeah take it easy they're just regular guys that love to wave swastikas around, like every other normal guy

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lmao the loving press officer was wearing one and "didnt think it was nazi"

Just to reiterate, the patch in question is the ubiquitous elite operator Totenkopf with the 1. SS-Panzerdivision Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler insignia and six notches on it.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Just to reiterate, the patch in question is the ubiquitous elite operator Totenkopf with the 1. SS-Panzerdivision Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler insignia and six notches on it.

so

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I mean that could mean anything really.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A division so nice it's named SS twice.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cuttlefush posted:

counts for what

More money = bigger and better. That's the rules (based international order)

Frosted Flake posted:

Going back to ancient Mesopotamia, there has been a war between settled people growing crops and nomadic people raising livestock.

Ukrainian nazis at it again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

love the image of lib photojournalists sheepishly asking nazis to please remove their fascist insignias so they can take some pictures

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i like how the nazi patches 'fuel Russian propaganda', not 'confirm Russian allegations'. They can't help but state that the nazis are not a problem, it's just they don't want people getting confused about who the good guys are and why this started

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

drat they must have been really good at warfare, they got SS rank

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

i like how the nazi patches 'fuel Russian propaganda', not 'confirm Russian allegations'. They can't help but state that the nazis are not a problem, it's just they don't want people getting confused about who the good guys are and why this started

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So, mechanically, how does the boot theory even work? A deep sea diver, under the enormous pressure of the deeps, casually takes a boot off to scratch and itch and then just leaves it there?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

like we know NATO did it because of how the US hegemon functions, not because of a boot

"A boot"? Maybe it was :canada:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

and he said the US WOULD do it

"If I Did It", by Joe Biden

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think it goes back to white washing what the ukrainian nazis were up to in ww2, whereas people now just say oh they were anti soviet freedom fighters really rather than fully paid up members of the nazi genocide death machine

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nix Panicus posted:

So, mechanically, how does the boot theory even work? A deep sea diver, under the enormous pressure of the deeps, casually takes a boot off to scratch and itch and then just leaves it there?

The American divers planted an American boot to show they could have planted a Russian boot if they had wanted to.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nix Panicus posted:

probably just fell off the deck when some divers were getting in/out of the water

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1665749126552727554
https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1665756598214729728

french tanks spotted on the steppes

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait if the Ukrainians are advancing ON Bakhmut doesn't that mean they've lost it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

January 6 Survivor posted:

sad to see that fun online games website known for its crosswords and wordle attempt to write such awful loving articles

""In November, during a meeting with Times reporters near the front line, a Ukrainian press officer wore a Totenkopf variation made by a company called R3ICH (pronounced “Reich”). He said he did not believe the patch was affiliated with the Nazis.'"

Come the gently caress on

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nix Panicus posted:

for starters the baltic sea is quite shallow so it's not like the water pressure at the bottom is instantly fatal, and secondly the boot in question is apparently meant to be worn over an inner boot so the diver wouldn't be completely unprotected either

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PhilippAchtel posted:

""In November, during a meeting with Times reporters near the front line, a Ukrainian press officer wore a Totenkopf variation made by a company called R3ICH (pronounced “Reich”). He said he did not believe the patch was affiliated with the Nazis.'"

Come the gently caress on

In the liberal mind, they are truthfully reporting that he said he did not believe the patch was affiliated with the Nazis.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I must say that finding a very popular diving boot, and one noted to be used in oil and gas related diving next to a gas pipeline is not the most conclusive evidence

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lighting the foot pervert signal in the sky so that we can get to the bottom of this diving boot thing

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

obviously planted there by russian spetsnaz divers to implicate america

bing bong so simple

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I must say that finding a very popular diving boot, and one noted to be used in oil and gas related diving next to a gas pipeline is not the most conclusive evidence

Do Americans mark their kit with their names and SN? Are there government tags on commercial products made for govt contracts?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bedpan posted:

lighting the foot pervert signal in the sky so that we can get to the bottom of this diving boot thing

fi fi fo fum i sniff the boot of a nato man

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted:

fi fi fo fum i sniff the boot of a nato man

nope. the only thing we know for certain is that an insanely cute girl was wearing the boot. don't know her nationality just the important thing: that she was really cute.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

joe biden saying we're gonna blow up that pipeline and then the pipeline blowing up is all the evidence i need

that russia did it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Me, a junior journalist at the NYT: the 3 in R3ICH is simply leetspeak, a staple among the tech-savvy ukrainian warriors.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Remarks by President Biden and Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen of Denmark Before Bilateral Meeting

Oval Office - 1:45 P.M. EDT

PRESIDENT BIDEN: Well, welcome. I am delighted to have Madam Prime Minister here today. Great to see you again.

PRESIDENT BIDEN: … And the idea that there’s a shared commitment to the core values of — that gives our strength. At least that’s what I believe. And together we’re working to protect those values, including standing up for the people of Ukraine against the brutal aggression of the Russians.

And we’ve also addressing the global challenges, from promoting inclusive economic growth and the climate crisis. And I want to thank you for your clean energy transition leadership. I really mean it.

And together with NATO Allies, we’re taking steps to strengthen our shared security, including finishing our bilateral defense cooperation agreement that we’re working on.

And I want to thank you again, Madam Prime Minister, for making the effort to be here. We’re anxious to see you. So, welcome. And the floor is yours.

PRIME MINISTER FREDERIKSEN: Thank you so much, Mr. President. It’s really nice to see you again and to be here. I would — I would like to thank you for your leadership. I mean, from a European perspective, to have a President in the U.S. who is committed to the transatlantic alliance has always been extremely important.

But I mean, nowadays, when war has returned to our continent, in Europe, it is so important that our allies and our friends — that we stick together, that we are united. And we have truly been for now 15 months, in Ukraine. We will, of course, continue, from a Danish perspective, our very strong — strong support to Ukraine, but I’m looking forward to work even closer with you on defense and securities. … So, thanks for your leadership, and thanks for welcoming us today.

PRESIDENT BIDEN: Well, I’m delighted to have you here. Thank you. Thank you all.

(Cross-talk.)

Q: Will the counteroffensive work?

PRESIDENT BIDEN: (Crosses fingers.)

1:50 P.M. EDT

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
🤞 lmao

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Do Americans mark their kit with their names and SN?

“serialized gear” is career ending to lose so the wise man wants as little serialized as possible. usually only the important stuff is serialized (weapons, radios, expensive gear like nvgs etc). however there are odd exceptions. that little multi tool that comes with the m777 is also serialized. so any non insane section chief locks those away. you would have to be crazy to bring that out cause losing it in the mud is the same as your section losing a rifle.

all that said no rules apply to seals

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
crossing my fingers fall the collapse of the west and the burning down of every cultural center in fortnite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

really queer Christmas posted:

The nordstream pipeline bomber, pictured below: