Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Even if this poo poo show brings developers to the VR space, it doesn't support controllers. I don't see much crossover between it and the rest of the VR market. It is it's own space for dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

It feels a lot like a device that was conceived when everyone was expecting work from home to go much longer and productivity was something they’d want to use the VR headset they bought to stave off lockdown cabin fever for.

Maybe they know something we dont! :tinfoil:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marumaru posted:

also: every 3D render they had (like, not a video or something) had super low res textures. i wonder if this thing simply cant run games. the dinosaur scene was particularly poo poo

I think at 3600x3600 you need to make the decision to a) display it at full resolution, but running the display at a much lower resolution, or b) lower the poly count until you can display it crisply at the display's full resolution

Turin Turambar posted:

We knew from the start that this thing was going to be more for developers and professionals, that's was the initial rumor a pair of years ago in fact. Even knowing that, I was surprised by the price tag.

If it were for professionals, it would have included a hardware controller of some sort. More than 50% of the time was spent showing you HOW COOL it was to watch Avatar in 3D. They even dragged Bob Iger's lifeless corpse (interm CEO of disney) up on stage to tell you how cool it would be to watch Star Wars and baby yoda on this thing. I do not think developers are the target market for this at all

edit:

Dietrich posted:

Even if this poo poo show brings developers to the VR space, it doesn't support controllers. I don't see much crossover between it and the rest of the VR market. It is it's own space for dorks.

yes

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Bad Munki posted:

LOLLLLL you can use the thing to capture "spatial" video, so I'm sure my family won't mind me wearing this at weddings and poo poo.

To repeat what others have said - Black Mirror Vibes. Its not for you to wear, its for the hired help (automatically rendering downcast, respectful eyes, no eye contact allowed) to wear while they record your great moments.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

How do we think Zuck and the meta VR team is feeling right now? Pretty smudge?

i mean not really since VR as a medium isn't growing much?
i was kinda hoping that the iGlasses would at least bring some investment into the VR space but the iPad-but-VR won't even do that
complete dud of a device

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

this holiday is going to be a shitshow

e: I mean like Christmas and such

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I think it’s very neat. If it was half the price I’d get one. At $3500 I will pass, and I’m an early adopting, glasses pushing, money burning, turbo nerd with no kids and a bunch of money, formerly employed at Apple.

If not me, then I’m left wondering who this is for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s also worth noting even in the Mac user spaces I look at most people are going who the gently caress wants this? They did nothing to show why you’d actually get this instead of just regular Mac. Arguably the Mac would be better since it wouldn’t be limited to iPad or iOS apps.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

anyone who thought the apple vr headset was going to be earth-shattering is a rube

You doubt the power of my laughter?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

App13 posted:

I think it’s very neat. If it was half the price I’d get one. At $3500 I will pass, and I’m an early adopting, glasses pushing, money burning, turbo nerd with no kids and a bunch of money, formerly employed at Apple.

Women with baggy pants and big pockets

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

App13 posted:

rich boys and Apple-only companies who want a bundle for themselves and a few for their teams

marumaru
May 20, 2013

App13 posted:

the 4 people outside C-level Apple Park offices who think that VR Excel is a good idea (they'll change their minds after half an hour doing VR Excel)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

How do we think Zuck and the meta VR team is feeling right now? Pretty smudge?

I guess. With the new rgb cameras + depth sensor of the Q3, I'm sure they are going to be able to show off stuff that is super similar to the AR capabilities shown here, you will see, leaving Apple in an even more silly position.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2023

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

App13 posted:

They were internally projecting 500k units sold the first year and I was initially kinda impressed at such a realistic goal given the rumored price/features. That goal doesn’t seem very realistic at all now.

Also $3500 is actually higher than Tim’s usual “2x BoM” target.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was going to do this comment

marumaru posted:

also: every 3D render they had (like, not a video or something) had super low res textures. i wonder if this thing simply cant run games. the dinosaur scene was particularly poo poo

Hadlock posted:

I think at 3600x3600 you need to make the decision to a) display it at full resolution, but running the display at a much lower resolution, or b) lower the poly count until you can display it crisply at the display's full resolution

but you were faster. yeah, the 3d stuff didn't look that advanced (in comparison to the fever dreams of some fanboys), with the 2x gpu of the Quest 3 I think it will be equivalent. They are 'spending' lots of power in super high resolution, leaving not that much graphical budged for amount of tris and textures.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dietrich posted:

With the depth scanner stuff and since it supports standard Bluetooth controllers, the simplest workaround I can picture is using a pair of Joycons and an app that tracks their spatial position. Of course, with a lack of support at the system level that kind of thing will quickly turn into 15 different competing versions of the same functionality.

Hadlock posted:

There was a brief mention of foveated rendering in one of the tech cards.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

App13 posted:

I'm a pretty big apple fanboy as far as being a consumer goes and I'm kinda at a loss here too.

They basically took a GearVR and blinged it up with a leap motion. Great. Its 3500 bucks.

Even IF I could "Rent to own" one on my cell phone plan or through the apple store like I do a phone, its loving 3500 DOLLARS for a CELL PHONE ON YOUR FACE.

God thats just so hard to swallow. Thats what she said.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another thing, now obvious in hindsight, is that the tech is still not where people want it to be. As good as Apple engineers are, and with the amount of money they have, the headset itself is... fairly more bulky, in all dimensions, than most people fake renders.
Maybe in 10 years.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Another thing, now obvious in hindsight, is that the tech is still not where people want it to be. As good as Apple engineers are, and with the amount of money they have, the headset itself is... fairly more bulky, in all dimensions, than most people fake renders.
Maybe in 10 years.

I give it 2 to 3 for a major iteration.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

They are 'spending' lots of power in super high resolution, leaving not that much graphical budged for amount of tris and textures.

it's basically impossible to push 2x 3600x3600 without making heavy use of foveated rendering, which they absolutely are if the two (!) cameras per eye are anything to go off of

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I work for surgeons and we are 10000% going to buy one of these things so residents can practice surgeries with their real hands and probably real tools instead of a vr controller.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

marumaru posted:

the 4 people outside C-level Apple Park offices who think that VR Excel is a good idea (they'll change their minds after half an hour doing VR Excel)

I could absolutely see the execs at my company picking up 3-4 of these because they're apple fanboys and probably think this will revolutionize work somehow.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

and also, i think this is a more important point than ive seen mentioned, i really feel like games are important for VR
what the gently caress else do you do in VR that just isn't possible in pancake reality?
you can definitely watch movies on your 65 inch OLED TV, you can definitely do excel in your macbook pro powered by m2 ultra(tm), you abso loving lutely can do video calls where people can see your face moving through the magic of the webcam...
there's very few "this is actually completely different and arguably better" experiences in VR and only really big one i can think of is gaming. the other is social which is kind like gaming anyway with vrchat and poo poo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe in 10 years.

As an example, I saw this a few hours ago:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I work for surgeons and we are 10000% going to buy one of these things so residents can practice surgeries with their real hands and probably real tools instead of a vr controller.

This is exactly the type of application that makes sense for the technical capabilities mentioned.

Narrow market though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For what's worth, there are some good ideas. Magnetically attached prescription lenses should be the standard at this point in all headsets.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm a pretty big apple fanboy as far as being a consumer goes and I'm kinda at a loss here too.

They basically took a GearVR and blinged it up with a leap motion. Great. Its 3500 bucks.

Even IF I could "Rent to own" one on my cell phone plan or through the apple store like I do a phone, its loving 3500 DOLLARS for a CELL PHONE ON YOUR FACE.

God thats just so hard to swallow. Thats what she said.

And like, I’m all for a GearVR with a blinged up leap motion mixed with a Nreal Air. Put that all together and package it up and I’m there. I’m just not there for $3500

I had already had the hostage negation talks with my wife about possibly plunking down $2k for these. But at $3500 there’s just no way. Maybe I can convince work to get me a pair… I wonder if Vision Pros can be STIG’d

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

yeah this feels like it could be genuinely useful and good for a business if it comes with full support for skill training and education

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Time to upgrade the ol' fleet of Hololenses, huh?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

App13 posted:

And like, I’m all for a GearVR with a blinged up leap motion mixed with a Nreal Air. Put that all together and package it up and I’m there. I’m just not there for $3500

I had already had the hostage negation talks with my wife about possibly plunking down $2k for these. But at $3500 there’s just no way. Maybe I can convince work to get me a pair… I wonder if Vision Pros can be STIG’d

Yep 2k and under I was almost ready to do the whole "rent to own" bullshit for one.

At 3500, no way. After tax here thats 3800 or so. I just can't justify it, even as a business expense and a unity game in development.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Black August posted:

yeah this feels like it could be genuinely useful and good for a business if it comes with full support for skill training and education

Buy my app How-To: Appendectomy for a one-time fee of $30,000 or only $2,750/mo (12-mo contract required) on the Vision Pro store.* **

*Not liable for malpractice

**Information is for educational use only and should not be used as a resource to perform any medical procedures on any persons, living or dead.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

chird posted:

Just getting on the bus with my $3499 glasses, should be fine

smashing my face into the turnstile for apple pay

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe in 10 years.

This is a good take. A major issue with consumer VR is "you want me to strap this THING to my FACE?" because you expect to "wear" it like glasses or the classic ski goggles. Designing something to absorb reality, process it and reproject it to your eyeballs, and do that with no perceptible latency in less than three ounces or so (4oz seems like the upper limit) is a big pill to swallow for hardware engineers. And it needs to be durable for your kid to knock it off the kitchen table and still work.

Leathal posted:

They were internally projecting 500k units sold the first year and I was initially kinda impressed at such a realistic goal given the rumored price/features. That goal doesn’t seem very realistic at all now.

Also $3500 is actually higher than Tim’s usual “2x BoM” target.

Given the billions of R&D zuck has poured into the Quest products to date $3500 probably will barely make this break even for gen 1 and this doesn't look a whole lot better than the Quest 3, assuming they can sell their projected 500k devices in the first year

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

Time to upgrade the ol' fleet of Hololenses, huh?

We never used those. I think we have a Quest 2 and something older that needs to be tethered. The training software is equivalent to Surgery Simulator but at an extreme medical devices markup.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bloodplay it again posted:

Buy my app How-To: Appendectomy for a one-time fee of $30,000 or only $2,750/mo (12-mo contract required) on the Vision Pro store.* **

*Not liable for malpractice

**Information is for educational use only and should not be used as a resource to perform any medical procedures on any persons, living or dead.

You joke but theres heaps of apps like this for VR.
Medical stuff. Trade skills. All kinds of poo poo.

Thats without actually digging deep and just a quick skim of my viveport library.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A simple sentence I've seen that I liked:

"It's kind of telling nobody presenting this is actually wearing one."

That's right. I didn't notice, but it's normal for these shows to show off their new iPhone, or iPad or iPod or iWatch in person. That's didn't happen here. Why?

I think it's because they can more carefully control the marketing "message" with the videos, fine tuning the amount of seconds you see the headset, from what angle, etc. in other words, they think having people with *their own headset they are trying to market* strapped on in the middle of the keynote would have been a negative, not a positive.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If I could walk into Best Buy next week and pick one up, I might be excited enough to try it. But 6 months out? Yeesh.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Turin Turambar posted:

A simple sentence I've seen that I liked:

"It's kind of telling nobody presenting this is actually wearing one."

That's right. I didn't notice, but it's normal for these shows to show off their new iPhone, or iPad or iPod or iWatch in person. That's didn't happen here. Why?

I think it's because they can more carefully control the marketing "message" with the videos, fine tuning the amount of seconds you see the headset, from what angle, etc.

* puts on headset *
* fumbles with strap and tightening *
* adjusts lens position *
* turns head *
* readjusts lens position *

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

If I could walk into Best Buy next week and pick one up, I might be excited enough to try it. But 6 months out? Yeesh.

I'm kind of curious if they don't just quietly kill it early next year citing lack of market demand

I didn't see anything that justifies to shareholders that this will become a new perpetual revenue stream. What this presentation does show shareholders, is that they did in fact attempt to increase shareholder value, but instead accidentally lit $10 billion USD on fire over five years, oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Somehow the price still hadn't properly registered well in my mind. Being in Europe, I'm accustomed to see prices with taxes, unlike in USA. I have added the 21% VAT...
4200 €!