Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Half way through Rebels season 3 and I'm thinking this show would've been so much better with 10-12 episode seasons. The banger episodes truly bang but half of them feel like they're just killing time to fill a 22 episode season.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A generous soul leaked the full Acolyte trailer from Celebration:

https://streamable.com/pv9kmz

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. Definitely looks a bit more expensive in places than I assumed, even if it's not really doing it for me. That being said, it's a fine line between what "feels like Star Wars" and what doesn't, but that definitely crossed the line into Krull territory where it looks more like a ripoff that's trying really hard than a legit entry.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 5, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I would 100% be down for crouching Jedi Holocron sith but who knows

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m intrigued by the trailer and visually it looks cool, so I’m moderately hyped for it whenever it is due.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It’s medieval Star Wars, so they can put a LotR polish on it, visually. I’m intrigued.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'm so down bad for that tbh looks great

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't trust any trailers after getting hoodwinked by Obi Wan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I don't trust any trailers after getting hoodwinked by Obi Wan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

Same honestly. Hope these shows are good but the track record is all over the place currently.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watch it be Mara Jade

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
*me chanting "Barriss Offee" in the background*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

*joins in chanting "Barriss Offee" in the background*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

They've cast Taylor Gray and Cameron Monaghan in Ahsoka. Gray is playing Cal, Monaghan is playing Ezra.

First off, I think you mixed those two names/roles up. Second, I don't think Cal being in Ahsoka has been announced. Or if it has, I missed it, and didn't find it just now in 5 seconds of googling.

Vinylshadow posted:

Watch it be Mara Jade

Ha, I've been trying to think of who this could be since I saw the image on twitter, assuming it was a flashback or something, but Mara is one of the ways having an Inquisitor still around would make some sense. Not the only way, but one way.

Like, Vader and Palpatine are dead, Inquisitors shouldn't really care about Jedi anymore (maybe they want revenge). But if one (or all of them, I don't know) had, say, a Last Command embedded in their brain?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

When Disney torched the eu books I was happy. When I realised half the people they pay to make the new stuff are the ones who memorised the books,
:ironicat:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm fine with them reviving the old EU as long as everyone's agreed that the NJO never happened and is not an interesting idea to try out.

EDIT: Oh and Kevin J. Anderson, of course, Shall Not Be Acknowledged.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

thrawn527 posted:

First off, I think you mixed those two names/roles up. Second, I don't think Cal being in Ahsoka has been announced. Or if it has, I missed it, and didn't find it just now in 5 seconds of googling.

I think that was a joke.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm fine with them reviving the old EU as long as everyone's agreed that the NJO never happened and is not an interesting idea to try out.

I hope you're right. But people keep referring to that new Rey moving coming as the New Jedi Order movie, and I get why, but I also get nervous every time I see it.

Epi Lepi posted:

I think that was a joke.

Oh, my mistake. I'm very tired today.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My favorite line is still that Rebels trailer where Ashoka says "There is always a bit of truth in Legends"

And from that point it was kinda clear what time it was.

They mostly probably just wanted to like remove poo poo like the Bug Orgies. and other weird poo poo and contradictions.

And they still seemingly are willing to retcon earlier stuff from "Canon" books. As they were pretty close to bringing back Ventress(Filoni should actually do this tho) for that Resistance show, and only didn't because if they did the show would become about her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I hope you're right. But people keep referring to that new Rey moving coming as the New Jedi Order movie, and I get why, but I also get nervous every time I see it.

Oh, my mistake. I'm very tired today.

It's what Disney themselves are calling it.

but yeah My guess is it's not gonna like follow the same path since well, Luke is dead with no kids, and Leia and Han's kids are toast too.

I will accept a Kyle Katarn vehicle tho.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dexo posted:

It's what Disney themselves are calling it.

but yeah My guess is it's not gonna like follow the same path since well, Luke is dead with no kids, and Leia and Han's kids are toast too.

Right, yeah, that picture made me super nervous. I can't imagine how people, on the whole, would react to the Yuuzhan Vong. But yeah, I don't see Disney touching that with a ten foot pole. "Tattooed, masochistic race of aliens invisible to the Force" doesn't scream "on brand" to Disney, to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Right, yeah, that picture made me super nervous. I can't imagine how people, on the whole, would react to the Yuuzhan Vong. But yeah, I don't see Disney touching that with a ten foot pole. "Tattooed, masochistic race of aliens invisible to the Force" doesn't scream "on brand" to Disney, to me.

Also the only thing normal people know or remember about the Vong is they dropped a moon on Chewbacca and killed him with it and that pissed A LOT of them off and created the popular sentiment of "the EU is nonsensical garbage, destroy it Didny plz."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Disney continuity already skipped straight to Legacy of the Force with the sequels, they’re not gonna do the Vong.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Dexo posted:

:hmmyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the only thing normal people know or remember about the Vong is they dropped a moon on Chewbacca and killed him with it and that pissed A LOT of them off and created the popular sentiment of "the EU is nonsensical garbage, destroy it Didny plz."

At the time I remember the basic apologia for the plot development was "look we've run the course on his arc, he's basically a glorified babysitter at this point."

They should have done a fake out where the moon hit the planet you thought he was on but they immediately reveal a second, identical planet.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Does Kyle Katarn grow an interesting personality in Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy which I never played that warrants the idolisation that some here give him or what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Jedi were bad and rebuilding them is just doomed to repeat the cycle that is the story of every star wars arc, please. someone, anyone, learn this lesson!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Butterfly Valley posted:

Does Kyle Katarn grow an interesting personality in Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy which I never played that warrants the idolisation that some here give him or what

Most of it's just basic-level Chuck Norris-style memetic goofery

Very 90's Action Hero memetic badass

(Dude also beat several Kell Dragons (which were supposed to be Krayt dragons but were changed due to technical limitations) to death with his bare hands after getting captured by Jabba in Dark Forces)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Butterfly Valley posted:

I thought he was kind of interesting in Dark Forces 2.5: Jedi Knight 1.5: Mysteries of the Sith where he goes full dark side and Mara Jade (you) has to refuse to fight him in order to save him, and he renounces the Jedi until of course he's forced back into it in Jedi Outcast.

The 90s were a loving crazy time for Star Wars media.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I was like 10, so Kyle Katarn was extremely cool

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I never played Mysteries of the Sith so my prevailing memory of it is when we, as 9 year old children, cleverly renamed it Mysteries of Luke's Whiff and kept on calling it that to the one kid who had it and wanted to talk about the game and got so upset by our renaming of it that he threatened to take it to the teachers

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

But to directly answer your question: No, Kyle does very little in Jedi Academy. He's basically your mentor and you do a couple of missions with him which were pretty cool, like going to Darth Vader's castle (the Legends version, not the one on Mustafar).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm in the minority that preferred Kyle when he was the Doom-like protagonist who wasn't a Jedi in Dark Forces I. Which is weird, because I normally love Jedi poo poo. But giving him a Jedi backstory and powers in part II always felt weird to me.

I also know that I'm in the minority here for hating the cut scenes in part II, though. Maybe I was the wrong age when it came out, 14, when you're a lovely teenager not allowed to like anything cheesy. But I remember them killing my enthusiasm for the game.

That must be the reason, because I love janky puppets in Mando, now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm in the minority that preferred Kyle when he was the Doom-like protagonist who wasn't a Jedi in Dark Forces I. Which is weird, because I normally love Jedi poo poo. But giving him a Jedi backstory and powers in part II always felt weird to me.

I also know that I'm in the minority here for hating the cut scenes in part II, though. Maybe I was the wrong age when it came out, 14, when you're a lovely teenager not allowed to like anything cheesy. But I remember them killing my enthusiasm for the game.

That must be the reason, because I love janky puppets in Mando, now.

No the cutscenes for Dark Forces II were very bad and poorly directed, it wasn’t just you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

1st AD posted:

No the cutscenes for Dark Forces II were very bad and poorly directed, it wasn’t just you.

Oh, usually when I bring them up on SA, I'm told I don't like fun. I've been assuming it was me.

Like, I know it was just a video game so they weren't going to look movie level good, but Wing Commander 3 came out 3 years before and the cut scenes for that looked sooooo much better.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 5, 2023

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I liked DF2's FMV. :unsmith:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Give me Dash Rendar and Guri loving about on the Outer Rim having dumb adventures.

:colbert:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Give me Dash Rendar and Guri loving
Man every now and then I remember that book and then also promptly remember how horny it was

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

Man every now and then I remember that book and then also promptly remember how horny it was

Or in the case of Leia, horny and racist! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1st AD posted:

No they are the proof that no one in the galaxy cared so much about their hair as Kyle Katarn