Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Quite A Tool posted:

They need to get with the times with many things, but the turn signals drive me crazy more than anything.

At least you’re not like a certain Goldwing owner who made that same comment about the complexity of hitting a button with your right hand to turn right when this is the switch cluster on your average wing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two separate turn signal buttons isn’t hard, it’s just dumb

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Two separate turn signal buttons isn’t hard, it’s just dumb

Given that they’re apparently the only vehicle manufacturer on earth that puts turn signal controls in two separate locations I can’t really disagree with you. But I will say when wearing thickass gloves it’s nice to have a big button rather than a little switch.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

BMW does it too. (I mean, last time I checked.) The difference between BMW's design and Harley's design is that BMW has a dedicated Turn Signal Cancel button.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ok so how do you cancel them on a Harley?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Press it again or .. turn.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ok so how do you cancel them on a Harley?

Geekboy posted:

Press it again or .. turn.

This comes up every once in a while. Turning will auto-cancel the signal, if your bank angle was far enough. Some turns aren't quite far enough, but you usually don't have a loving protractor handy, so maybe they cancelled, maybe they didn’t. Changing lanes will not cancel the signal. If you're not sure if it auto-cancelled, you're basically stuck having to glance down at the dash to see if the signal is still flashing. But maybe the instant you glanced was the off flash? Better look again, but for longer this time, boy I really love taking my eyes off the road. Also, the turn signal buttons are soft mushy buttons with vague feedback and no tactile 'click', so you pressed the button to cancel, but did it really work? Better look again to make sure. Etc.

In reality after a while you just get used to this loving nightmare of user interface design, and it's not a big deal, but goddamn.

Edit: Worth noting that they've unfucked the turn signals on their most recent bikes, the Pan America, Sportster S, and Nightster all have regular turn signals on the left cluster.

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 21, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the individual buttons will be one of those things like that fake carbs on a triumph, only the explicitly boomer retro custom chrome bikes will have it as a style conceit.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For some reason the Fireblade has the indicator switch and the horn swapped from what I'm used to and I found that surprisingly difficult to adjust to. Also the trigger thing that should flash the lights is a lap time button which is annoying.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

knox_harrington posted:

For some reason the Fireblade has the indicator switch and the horn swapped from what I'm used to and I found that surprisingly difficult to adjust to. Also the trigger thing that should flash the lights is a lap time button which is annoying.

I have this situation between two of my bikes and it's maddening

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I used to scoff at people having problems like that, owning three bikes with different controls, seating positions and uh, usability.

Then I bought my MT-09SP with up/down quick-shifter and other shebangs and riding my SV for the first time in forever yesterday was a miserable experience.

"Why is the clutch so weird, why is the suspension so bad, why is the lighting so weak, why is the seating so cramped, oh god I tried to downshift without the clutch again" etc etc etc

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I used to scoff at people having problems like that, owning three bikes with different controls, seating positions and uh, usability.

Then I bought my MT-09SP with up/down quick-shifter and other shebangs and riding my SV for the first time in forever yesterday was a miserable experience.

"Why is the clutch so weird, why is the suspension so bad, why is the lighting so weak, why is the seating so cramped, oh god I tried to downshift without the clutch again" etc etc etc

My three bikes are about as different as possible. It helps to not even consider them the same class of vehicle. So it's less like getting confused on Bike A versus Bike B, and more like, the difference between a kayak and my Grand Cherokee.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Strife posted:

My three bikes are about as different as possible. It helps to not even consider them the same class of vehicle. So it's less like getting confused on Bike A versus Bike B, and more like, the difference between a kayak and my Grand Cherokee.

Same.

My three bikes are Monkey 125, Vee 650, KX250

About as different as it gets

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I don't weigh enough to get my bike on the center stand I just installed 🙃
You have to roll it on, it kinda slides. I have managed to get it on like 2/20 tries, and it has only had enough clearance to do chain maintenance once out of those two

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Ugh on smooth pavement that can be so loving annoying.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Some punk in a van knocked over my bike in a parking lot last night and sped off. Animals, I tell ya. I wasn’t around but some nice passerby snapped a photo of their plates so I guess it’s police report time? Never done this before.

Broken mirror and rear turn signal, scratched clutch perch. Tank and motor unscathed, which is all I really care about.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

epswing posted:

Some punk in a van knocked over my bike in a parking lot last night and sped off. Animals, I tell ya. I wasn’t around but some nice passerby snapped a photo of their plates so I guess it’s police report time? Never done this before.

Broken mirror and rear turn signal, scratched clutch perch. Tank and motor unscathed, which is all I really care about.

Call it in as a hit and run and be prepared to provide the contact information of the witness who sent you the picture, but don't be too disappointed if nothing happens.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Bikes are fun and all that, but when your only vehicle is a bike and your car is on jack stands and you are riding around town for tools and car parts it's not a happy time. 🙃

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I’d rather be riding a motorcycle around in bad weather buying parts for a broken car than diving a car around on a beautiful day buying parts for a broken motorcycle.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Bikes are fun and all that, but when your only vehicle is a bike and your car is on jack stands and you are riding around town for tools and car parts it's not a happy time. 🙃

Sounds like a top box would cure your ails.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

:lol:

Yes but bikes are so much simpler and better to work on than dogshit rust belt 10 year old ford escapes.

I'd rather have a down bike knowing that Revzilla has my parts on backorder and....yeah. Sigh. Everything is very upsetting right now.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cars are evil and terrible

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Cars are evil and terrible

Yes. I genuinely feel also that while bikes are very competitive...they are still manufactured to a higher standard than cars. Like my bike is full of stainless hardware yet it's entry level.

Look at the Ford Ecoboost engine. They tried to save some pennies shifting to an open deck block. Cars are mass manufactured bottom dollar junk - Ford tried to save weight, metal, but now the head gaskets blow, they eventually got sued and a recall is in place for some vehicles.

Bikes are moving in the more and more reliable direction as a general statement. Less money to be saved in cost savings only "optimizations" due to lower volume of sales?

Though I am seeing stories of cracked swingarms of recent Z125s and Groms on FB. It is unsettling. Though maybe dumb people are stretching them with swingarm extensions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bikes are absolutely of a much higher quality than cars and have been for about forty years. Imo this is because almost everyone buying a bike is an enthusiast who gives a poo poo, will tell their friends about their experiences, will develop some degree of brand loyalty long term. Otoh almost everyone buying a car is being forced to drive out of necessity and wants the most hassle free and cost effective solution that results in them having a car that gets them from one place to another. This is why making a bike for car people is basically always doomed to failure no matter how much the manufacturers try; even the likes of the nc700 is successful because it's mostly owned by incredibly boring bike people and does little to entice car people.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took the kiddos out on a dirt bike ride yesterday. All was well for the first couple miles, until my youngests Suzuki JR50 started acting up. At first it was stalling at stops, I'd have to kick it with the throttle wide open in order to start it, so that says rich mixture to me. I tried to tweak the carb a bit to back the air screw out, but it didn't seem to have a ton of effect. Of course it only stalled in direct sunlight, so the 90 degree weather was not super conducive to working on a hot engine. Eventually, it just straight up died and wouldnt start again.

Of course we were about 20 miles from the car and trailer at that point, so we had to rely on the kindness of a random ATV dude who offered to load the bike up on a trailer that he was pulling and take it to a gas station that was about 10 minutes away. So we left the bike there and my son hitched a ride on the RV90 with me so we could get to the car and trailer and go back to rescue his bike.

Naturally the RV90 and the CRF70 that my oldest was riding ran perfectly.

So, I'm thinking a couple things:

1) Clogged air filter. This is by far the easiest answer, and easiest to check/fix. Although I did just look at the filter this spring and it seemed fine, so I doubt thats it, not that it couldnt have inhaled the filter into the venturi or something though.
2) Float jammed open. I smacked the carb bowl with a rock a couple times, and it didnt seem to have an effect, but this still isnt out of the question.
3) Clogged pipe. Its a 50cc two stroke, so the pipe is very narrow by the head, and years of PO fuckery may have meant that it was barfing carbon into the pipe for a long time.

The PO did have a bunch of holes drilled in the airbox cover, which I assumed was the standard PO idea that "more=better", so I plugged them, but now I wonder if it was a bandaid to fix a rich running problem that they couldn't chase down.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I'll be eagerly awaiting this answer since it might shed some light into my own weird rich carb problems.

Might be worth telling that, in the weeks leading up to my carburetor pissing gas nonstop, I had a host of other minor fueling problems. Surging at speed (continuing to accelerate for a tiny fraction of a second after closing the throttle), stalling at stoplights once I revved it when the light turned green. Once I replaced the float needle valve all of these problems went away, which meant that the problems were all "too much gas in the float bowl".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is also, I suppose, the 4th, comedy option of "Completely hosed jetting that some PO did" but the fact that it ran OK before makes me think this isnt it

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Hole in the airbox? Could be running super lean and over heating

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slide Hammer posted:

BMW does it too. (I mean, last time I checked.) The difference between BMW's design and Harley's design is that BMW has a dedicated Turn Signal Cancel button.

BMW hasn't done separate turn signals in well over a decade, it's the same integrated switch on the left grip that you're used to from most other bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Took the kiddos out on a dirt bike ride yesterday. All was well for the first couple miles, until my youngests Suzuki JR50 started acting up. At first it was stalling at stops, I'd have to kick it with the throttle wide open in order to start it, so that says rich mixture to me. I tried to tweak the carb a bit to back the air screw out, but it didn't seem to have a ton of effect. Of course it only stalled in direct sunlight, so the 90 degree weather was not super conducive to working on a hot engine. Eventually, it just straight up died and wouldnt start again.

Of course we were about 20 miles from the car and trailer at that point, so we had to rely on the kindness of a random ATV dude who offered to load the bike up on a trailer that he was pulling and take it to a gas station that was about 10 minutes away. So we left the bike there and my son hitched a ride on the RV90 with me so we could get to the car and trailer and go back to rescue his bike.

Naturally the RV90 and the CRF70 that my oldest was riding ran perfectly.

So, I'm thinking a couple things:

1) Clogged air filter. This is by far the easiest answer, and easiest to check/fix. Although I did just look at the filter this spring and it seemed fine, so I doubt thats it, not that it couldnt have inhaled the filter into the venturi or something though.
2) Float jammed open. I smacked the carb bowl with a rock a couple times, and it didnt seem to have an effect, but this still isnt out of the question.
3) Clogged pipe. Its a 50cc two stroke, so the pipe is very narrow by the head, and years of PO fuckery may have meant that it was barfing carbon into the pipe for a long time.

The PO did have a bunch of holes drilled in the airbox cover, which I assumed was the standard PO idea that "more=better", so I plugged them, but now I wonder if it was a bandaid to fix a rich running problem that they couldn't chase down.

It's the top end op

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I refuse to believe that

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pull that header off the cylinder and you can inspect for two problems

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What I mean is it totally could be the top end and I just don’t want to do a top end

On the flip side the motor is tiny so it probably takes like 10 minutes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

It's the top end op

It was this, op

It made 70 psi on a compression test and the internet seems to suggest that these motors won’t even run under 90 PSI, even though it definitely was.

It’s donions

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know it didn't but i like to believe it came out with the sand on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where it ultimately left this mortal coil was on the dustiest trail imaginable that isn’t straight up sand.

Wisconsin is dry as hell right now.

I even hosed it all down before I pulled the top end :cripes:

Got one of these on the way: https://www.powersportsdiscount.com/product/42381/wiseco-top-end-kit-020-78-06-jr50-jr-50-piston-gaskets-bearing-41-5mm

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 4, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds like automatic port polishing technology to me

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Student loans kicking back in mean that I'm going to have to hold off on trading up to a new bike. Sigh.

Man, this economy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Are those dummy thicc rings or a super tiny piston?