Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been playing around with a fire sorc in the post-game and I feel like hydra is overrated. It seems like every build has it but that might be based on playing with it before the release nerf. It's nice to have a fire and forget, but it just doesn't do that much damage. When we're limited to 6 total spells it doesn't feel worth a slot. Meteor is slow and doesn't do enough damage to be worth a slot either. For dealing with big clumps of enemies Firewall is just so much better especially when paired with the fire ultimate Inferno. When it can clump together enemies you can lay a bunch of Firewalls underneath for heavy hitting. The clumping doesn't always work, but the main benefit of the snake is that you get unlimited fire casting while its up. I can absolutely fill the screen with firewalls in that time when does great damage to everything.

I'm not a big fan of either of the fire secondaries for your bread-and-butter damage spell. Fireball is slow and has a fairly small aoe range considering its mana cost. Incinerate doesn't do enough damage to be worth the risk of a channeled spell. Standing still can be fatal for so many bosses/elites. I was actually having better luck making firebolt one of my enchantment options so every spell I cast has the fire dot and then I made Chain Lightning my main fire spell. With the dot it gains the use of all the really good fire passives (healing and mana for spreading your fire around) though it doesn't count for free casting during the fire snake. Fire has the best passives and with enough fire going you can be surprisingly tanky.

However, I got a legendary with an absurd buff to Incinerate so I changed my build around to focus on it. It increases the damage of your fire spells the longer you cast Incinerate and with the passive that reduces mana cost the longer you stand still you can maintain the fire laser for a decent amount of time. The real benefit is for bosses that stand still for a bit and you can lay down a firewall, hit Fire Shield, pop the fire snake, and now channel Incinerate and if you can stand there casting through snake and all of your mana you'll be hitting for a lot of damage. Against some of the absurdly high health bosses it's been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you still earn renown for the T3 required unlock or do you have to get T3 before you can progress the renown counter?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm still regularly getting stunned by the visual quality, if you've got the rig and display for it, this game looks loving astounding

You could snap shots of the overworld and it looks like a brilliantly painted landscape

And then just random bits like the sand covered ruins in a dungeon with sunlight leaking in from above and making the sand glint and sparkle

Incredible stuff, their art team did a good

I could rave about the sound and music design in the same way, the loving music tracks have randomized instruments and adjust pace and intensity to match the action (music crescendoing during the last 10% of a world boss or ramping up to loud and in front during a legion event)

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
Despite everything else, Blizzard's art department has always been top of the industry. The visuals/audio/feel are carrying the game really hard right now.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
As a twisted blades/shadow imbuement rogue I found I had to drop shadow clone and switch to dark shroud for survivability now that I'm in WT3. I'm hoping I can gear up quickly with this sacred gear because these mobs hit like a truck now.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Playing world tier 3 on hardcore. My mates barb kills bosses in like 5 seconds lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

InventorOfTrees posted:

Despite everything else, Blizzard's art department has always been top of the industry. The visuals/audio/feel are carrying the game really hard right now.

QFT. The gameplay is pretty good but look and sound of the game gives it the flavour a lot of other competent games can't capture. The voice acting is above average and the world building feels better than D3.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Incremus posted:

(Re error code BLZBNTAGT00000BB8)

All checked out no errors. I submitted a ticket to Blizzard support, but haven’t heard anything back yet.

Maybe make sure you've got no anti-virus and/or backups like backblaze or whatever yoinking file access.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

bamhand posted:

Do you still earn renown for the T3 required unlock or do you have to get T3 before you can progress the renown counter?

You can get all the renown you want before T3 and it stays, it's just a marker for completion of different side content. You can't claim the renown 4 and 5 rewards until you've unlocked T3.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Feeling a lot of FOMO at work today due to the fact that the world of Sanctuary is an alive, online experience that persists even when I'm not there!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you use mouse and keyboard and were wondering why the horse feels super clunky it's because it goes faster based on how far away your cursor is from it.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
wait has no one linked this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PdH-zavwO4

what the gently caress is going on with the marketing for this game lmao

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Swaggur

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

InventorOfTrees posted:

This is Blizzard's best cutscene to date, she looks so realistic

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

InventorOfTrees posted:

doing their job extremely well?

https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1665756729903050754?t=QzddVvz1_sP5oyPplaux_Q&s=19

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

They’re trying to appeal to a larger mass audience outside of loving old nerds like us, it’s not some mystery.

It’s the first Diablo game that is launching cross-platform and it’s also the first mainline entry in over a decade. There’s a lot of potential to pull in younger first-timers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I hear that it is preferable to mainline the story until the point you get mounts. In regards to sidequests, do any get locked out as the story progresses? I know everything scales.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Stux posted:

Necro.

Literally this. I went from druid to blood necro and it was great. I'm giving druid another try now with a different build and it's good, but blood necro feels super good for the most part (I probably need to respec because fortify feels really unsatisfying to me).

CoG has too many outstanding requests to request an invite :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jaytan posted:

First, each effect has a type (they are organized by this in the codex), and each slot can only take certain types.

Second, amulets, and 2H weapons get a 50% and 100% bonus respectively to legendary numbers. There’s a necro legendary that gives 2 max skeletons. On an amulet it becomes 3, and on a 2H weapon it becomes 4. This applies to the frost shards effect you posted: the number of pierces goes up and the damage reduction each time goes down.

Ah thanks, this explains it. After checking, I noticed that the Amulet I affixed the effect to actually had values sort of in-between the effect on my staff and the effect in the codex, which makes sense given the staff had a 100% bonus and the amulet had a 50% one (and other items would presumably get the base numbers).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So they're just going to keep the severs up while the game goes live for everybody else?

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Game is good. I had to adjust my expectations for how long it will take to "max out" my character.

When D3 releases a new season, it usually takes me around 10-12 hours to deck out in a meta build. I'll do a few high GRifts and clock out until next season. I never grind up gems, paragons, and perfect gear and push keys.

In D4, it's gonna take me months to hit 100. I'm 52 now and it feels bad using my few mats to enchant a helm to get 3% cooldown reduction. It's gonna be a marathon, which I'm fine with.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

kickascii posted:

Game is good. I had to adjust my expectations for how long it will take to "max out" my character.

When D3 releases a new season, it usually takes me around 10-12 hours to deck out in a meta build. I'll do a few high GRifts and clock out until next season. I never grind up gems, paragons, and perfect gear and push keys.

In D4, it's gonna take me months to hit 100. I'm 52 now and it feels bad using my few mats to enchant a helm to get 3% cooldown reduction. It's gonna be a marathon, which I'm fine with.

I mean, we also just don't have seasons or anything around that yet. I suspect it will all get a ton faster once we're in that loop (IIRC D3 wasn't nearly as fast as it is now on release).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am like Level 43 and haven’t finished Act 1 yet. I am bad at Diabloing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

kickascii posted:

That's what I'm going through now too. I want to try a sorcerer after I got tricked into playing a melee class (which has a bow on his back almost purely for cosmetic reasons) but there's so much to do even after the campaign. Sometime in the next few days I'm going to get tired of spamming the same five skills and get an alt running through Sanctuary.

There's enough content for months, like you said, and with balance patches potentially mixing up builds it might not get stale, which is my major worry right now.

Game good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I am like Level 43 and haven’t finished Act 1 yet. I am bad at Diabloing.

are you having fun? congrats you have won the diablo

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Zelmel posted:

I mean, we also just don't have seasons or anything around that yet. I suspect it will all get a ton faster once we're in that loop (IIRC D3 wasn't nearly as fast as it is now on release).

D3 at release was a wildly different game than it's current form. Forgot how long it took the first group to reach Inferno, just to get wiped by trash mobs.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

inferis posted:

They were very smart to make the only cool cosmetic require four orders

I'm playing rogue and the black/red bow was all I wanted. Lucky that was the one you can get for free. It probably doesn't look much different than any other bow colored black/red.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've been playing around with a fire sorc in the post-game and I feel like hydra is overrated. It seems like every build has it but that might be based on playing with it before the release nerf. It's nice to have a fire and forget, but it just doesn't do that much damage. When we're limited to 6 total spells it doesn't feel worth a slot. Meteor is slow and doesn't do enough damage to be worth a slot either. For dealing with big clumps of enemies Firewall is just so much better especially when paired with the fire ultimate Inferno. When it can clump together enemies you can lay a bunch of Firewalls underneath for heavy hitting. The clumping doesn't always work, but the main benefit of the snake is that you get unlimited fire casting while its up. I can absolutely fill the screen with firewalls in that time when does great damage to everything.

I'm not a big fan of either of the fire secondaries for your bread-and-butter damage spell. Fireball is slow and has a fairly small aoe range considering its mana cost. Incinerate doesn't do enough damage to be worth the risk of a channeled spell. Standing still can be fatal for so many bosses/elites. I was actually having better luck making firebolt one of my enchantment options so every spell I cast has the fire dot and then I made Chain Lightning my main fire spell. With the dot it gains the use of all the really good fire passives (healing and mana for spreading your fire around) though it doesn't count for free casting during the fire snake. Fire has the best passives and with enough fire going you can be surprisingly tanky.

However, I got a legendary with an absurd buff to Incinerate so I changed my build around to focus on it. It increases the damage of your fire spells the longer you cast Incinerate and with the passive that reduces mana cost the longer you stand still you can maintain the fire laser for a decent amount of time. The real benefit is for bosses that stand still for a bit and you can lay down a firewall, hit Fire Shield, pop the fire snake, and now channel Incinerate and if you can stand there casting through snake and all of your mana you'll be hitting for a lot of damage. Against some of the absurdly high health bosses it's been really good.

Firewall is so fun. I feel like hydra adds a lot of sustain damage for bosses because it’s almost guaranteed.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

quote:

Something we talk about is that we build things in parallel. Right now, as I sit here, we're about to launch the main game, we're finishing up Season 1, we're working on Season 2, we're working on Expansion 1, we're kicking off Expansion 2, all that's happening right now.

Neat.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i hope we get to fight and kill some angels

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
T- minus 5 minutes

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So I hear that it is preferable to mainline the story until the point you get mounts. In regards to sidequests, do any get locked out as the story progresses? I know everything scales.

Nothing gets locked out, the intention is probably to run the campaign and then the side quests, but it doesn't really matter. It's just nice having the horse earlier. After you get the horse it'll want you to be 35 anyway, so you probably have to do some side quests at that point, or do it under leveled.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Here’s my first real complaint about the game: it is really stupid that one world boss spawns every 6 hours (looks like 06:30/12:30/18:30/00:30 EDT).

Those are pretty asinine times for anybody with like a real life. They should be on a shorter rotation.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Finished the campaign at lv 49, it was great, really sets up the mood of the game we'll be playing for dozens of hours. I did it all on WT2 as a barb... my build was falling apart at the end and I mostly got by on +9 deathblow and simple stunlock setup for elites. Pretty amazing game. I haven't enjoyed anything Blizzard related since Legion and for a new game you'd have to go back to the early 2000s probably.

Did the capstone and hit 50 and one thing I don't think I like is sacred gear. What's the point of the jump? I was ready to retool my build with the aspects I've got stored but it feels kind of a waste until I find at least sacred weapons, which means I will limp along for a bit longer.

Funny thing about the story in retrospect PC is about to freeze to death like an idiot until Mephisto saves them and then they almost die again on account of being a gullible idiot before Iosef saves them, like it's pure accident they have Lillith's blood. PC is just an unprepared fool who got real lucky.

Also these games should take place farther apart given we're supposed to care about soulstones. The demon will come back if we kill them? So what? Soulstones might last 5 minutes or 20 years depending on your luck but they always fail

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
LIVE

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

as i am about to start clicking on monsters and the game is about to release, i want to remind everyone how much shame fills my heart that i have paid $70 for a game.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Finished the campaign at lv 49, it was great, really sets up the mood of the game we'll be playing for dozens of hours. I did it all on WT2 as a barb... my build was falling apart at the end and I mostly got by on +9 deathblow and simple stunlock setup for elites. Pretty amazing game. I haven't enjoyed anything Blizzard related since Legion and for a new game you'd have to go back to the early 2000s probably.

Did the capstone and hit 50 and one thing I don't think I like is sacred gear. What's the point of the jump? I was ready to retool my build with the aspects I've got stored but it feels kind of a waste until I find at least sacred weapons, which means I will limp along for a bit longer.

Funny thing about the story in retrospect PC is about to freeze to death like an idiot until Mephisto saves them and then they almost die again on account of being a gullible idiot before Iosef saves them, like it's pure accident they have Lillith's blood. PC is just an unprepared fool who got real lucky.

Also these games should take place farther apart given we're supposed to care about soulstones. The demon will come back if we kill them? So what? Soulstones might last 5 minutes or 20 years depending on your luck but they always fail

It takes a bunch of the stuff you get from salvaging legendaries to imprint sacred gear with aspects anyway, so it'll be hard to hit 50 and imprint a bunch of sacred stuff. Try for a sacred weapon though unless your weapon imprint is in the codex or you have some spares.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Invalid license on PC hell yeah

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I 100% thought the voice actor said, "You will see soon, bro."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I’m thinking of buying this game to play with friends occasionally, but I have 1, maybe 2 hours a week to play tops. Is it going to be a miserable time for my squad if I’m a low-level peon, or can they carry me reasonably well without dragging the squad down?