Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Lord of the Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Irish crime Thing movie, Da Ting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Young Freud posted:

We are shown, multiple times, that the Thing possess an intelligence. It knows when to ambush targets of opportunity like Bennings or the dogs; it recognizes MacReady's growing influence over the group and schemes to convince others that MacReady is a Thing and eliminate him, which it almost pulls off; it makes arrangements to separate and ambush the others by loving with the power, cutting the guide ropes, etc. ; and the Blair Thing is clearly building an escape craft so it can leave Antarctica before things get bad.

Which is why I mentioned P-Zombies. It could be imitating a human who has self-awareness, and the imitation human is able to make complex plans to fulfill the objectives of the The Thing but The Thing is not actually intelligent itself. It could be a dumb animal in charge of smart humans. Its only objective is to survive and infect others.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I like that Thingied Wilford Brimley knows enough to fake being fine but not enough to take down the noose.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why did the doctor break cover on the helicopter in the prequel again? It was almost out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TheKingslayer posted:

The Irish crime Thing movie, Da Ting.

That Thing That Thing That Thiiiiiinnng

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Why did the doctor break cover on the helicopter in the prequel again? It was almost out

I think its motivation at the time was to leave the planet, and it didn't want to risk being discovered by more hostile aliens before it gets to the saucer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Come And See posted:

I like that Thingied Wilford Brimley knows enough to fake being fine but not enough to take down the noose.

The noose was to help him down the hole to build the escape ship.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The heart attack scene still kinda puzzles me, I get the initial idea is to stop Macready blowing everything up but why then eat someone in front of everyone else?

(Also who did get into the blood if neither guy who had the key was the Thing?)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you can build a spaceship out of primitive ape whirlybird parts, you can probably get into a simple lock.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
fun fact about the Thing: Carpenter himself said he has no idea exactly who got taken, when, and in what order. That's part of the reason it works so well. I mean, Nauls straight up vanishes halfway just before the third act, completely unaccounted for

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The heart attack scene still kinda puzzles me, I get the initial idea is to stop Macready blowing everything up but why then eat someone in front of everyone else?

the theory i've heard is that the abdominal maw was a reflex action caused by the electric shock, not entirely dissimilar to the blood freaking out when scalded with a hot wire

what happened with the blood storage does still puzzle me, though it's possible Garry and/or Copper are lying about how close an eye they keep on their keys. I can't actually recall what they say in that scene, it's been several months since I last watched the movie.

Come And See posted:

i'm tempted to say that leaving the noose up was part of the cover- making it look like Blair was ready to kill himself like Fuchs did if he thinks he's about to get got. Alternatively, Blair-Thing wants to look unwell so that the humans will leave it alone in the shed to continue building the escape vehicle.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Also who did get into the blood if neither guy who had the key was the Thing?)

One theory I heard a while back is that he was still in the process of getting infected and the heart attack was basically a result of his normal bodily functions shutting down. Then by the time they got him on the table he was far enough gone that shocking him forced a defensive response.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That Thing, starring Lauren Hill

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Samovar posted:

That Thing, starring Lauren Hill

Shageletic posted:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There's Some Thing Around Mary...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Argus Zant posted:

what happened with the blood storage does still puzzle me, though it's possible Garry and/or Copper are lying about how close an eye they keep on their keys. I can't actually recall what they say in that scene, it's been several months since I last watched the movie.

Windows drops the keys earlier, that's why he freaks out when everyone is discussing who got access to the keys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

One theory I heard a while back is that he was still in the process of getting infected and the heart attack was basically a result of his normal bodily functions shutting down. Then by the time they got him on the table he was far enough gone that shocking him forced a defensive response.

It does tie in with the idea that the Thing has limited self-control and possibly only has intelligence in bodies it's currently borrowing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And one more thing, Mr. MacReady...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i always took it as faking the heart attack was a desperation move to prevent being blown up, but the thing didn't count on getting defibrilated and going all thing-mode was basically an involuntary defensive reaction

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Thing is a movie about paranoia. There is no alien intelligence 'behind'; the attacks. It's just people afflicted with an alien disease, trying not to be burned alive by the dude convinced that there's some evil force manipulating everything.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Thing is alien. It knows enough to imitate shock when seeing a spider-head but it also does weird stuff in stressful situations. I like that about it. "Sure, I'm a dog in a dog kennel and I'm really hungry, what if I *high pitched screaming, face splits open*"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Sure, I'm a dog in a dog kennel and I'm really hungry, what if I *high pitched screaming, face splits open*"

Honestly pretty relatable. Like who at work while hungry and confused has felt like doing that? The thing is, just the thing, we in our heart of hearts want to be.

So what I'm saying is there really should of been a muppets movie remake of the thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

that dog wasn't even a Thing, that's just what happens when you don't give huskies enough to do

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dr_rat posted:

Honestly pretty relatable. Like who at work while hungry and confused has felt like doing that? The thing is, just the thing, we in our heart of hearts want to be.

"When you're hungry, you're not yourself. Grab a Snickers!"

*Thing turns back into Lily from Accounting*

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

This movie will be about the Thing playing a game of pick up basketball with itself and it's choosing teams.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that dog wasn't even a Thing, that's just what happens when you don't give huskies enough to do

There were no aliens, just extremely weird dudes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts spoiler:

GI Joe is namedropped at the end of the film

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Does that mean Brendan Fraser is back?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

Lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Are we getting a HCU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

About time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If they’re gonna do a toy-centric movie the scales between brands should be all wonky.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Are we getting a HCU

What does your heart (and by heart I mean capitalism + the last decade of CU bullshit) tell you?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Action Figure Cinematic Universe

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hasbro and Mattel are already teaming up on a co-branding toy deal, so we could get Barbie in the Transformers/Joe Universe

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
None of those words are in the bible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
neither is oreo cookie shake and that poo poo's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Give it to Scorsese and ask him to find God in such a movie

Barbie is campaigning against War and for World Peace
The TFs question their existence as machines of combat
Barbie shoots a rocket launcher handed to her by a broken down by war GI Joe at Cobra goons