Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Black Mirror isn't really a show that you can binge unless you're doing extremely well, and who among us really is right now.

So I've only been through all of them at once I think twice, and the rest I just pick a few and watch them.

I'm surprised to hear some folks don't like Bandersnatch. I really dug it quite a bit. It was the only part of Netflix's CYOA experiment that wasn't embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Netflix's CYOA often sucked because the choices were pretty arbitrary and selecting the (a) instead of (b) would result in GAME OVER. The trick is to split the path and reconverge! reconverge!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too is great.
It's less focused on overt drama/trauma or overt tech, but too much but just tells an almost lighthearted story within the greater BM setting.
Like it still has tones and implications but it's also just a 2 sisters bonding over their surprisingly potty mouthed Furby.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 3, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Netflix's CYOA often sucked because the choices were pretty arbitrary and selecting the (a) instead of (b) would result in GAME OVER. The trick is to split the path and reconverge! reconverge!

Didn't Kimmy Schmidt do that?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

It's not like Charlie Brooker's intent was to make the perfect CYOA, it was more about how it would feel to be in a CYOA.

Rarity posted:

The Ashley ep predicted all the Britney stuff amazingly well

It's not like "artist being abused by their management" is somehow unique to Britney. Swedish artist Avicii for example was forced to perform even though his mental heath was detoriating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avicii#Personal_life

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Bandersnatch isn’t my favorite episode but it gets a pass from me because it’s using the CYOA as a metaphor for mental illness. And I think it threads that needle pretty well.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just rewatched Hang the DJ since it aired. God what a lovely episode, very balanced. Heart with a small dose of chilling, perfect.

The song refers to what song was playing when the two leads found each other in real life. Perfecto.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never did Bandersnatch because it seemed like a hassle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went through a bit of it but I think it came out on a day where I had other things to do and then never got back to it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lampsacus posted:

Just rewatched Hang the DJ since it aired. God what a lovely episode, very balanced. Heart with a small dose of chilling, perfect.

The song refers to what song was playing when the two leads found each other in real life. Perfecto.

My take was that also, the "DJ" refers to the one calling the shots, AKA the system telling them who they can and can't date.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Personal favorites:

San Junipero
15 Million Merits (close second)
White Christmas
Shut Up And Dance
Nosedive

I feel like The Entire History of You would be higher up if it weren't such an unpleasant and difficult watch (I realize this is true for Shut Up and Dance also but it's just a taste thing).

I really enjoyed National Anthem and The Waldo Moment also, I feel like a lot of people hate National Anthem for all the reasons I love it.

I do feel like by USS Callister the general idea of people living in a virtual reality was kind of played out and they sort of ran out of interesting things to do with it compared with earlier episodes like San Junipero and White Christmas. I like that in Striking Vipers it at least explores the idea of people trying on different identities through virtual avatars, something that we already do to a degree with our current version of online gaming.

Since they've decided to rouse the show from its grave I hope the new episodes are worthwhile.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zwabu posted:

I feel like The Entire History of You would be higher up if it weren't such an unpleasant and difficult watch
I really annoyed a friend with this one. He turned me onto the show and was showing me the first season and I kept having to stop The Entire History of You to push down a rising panic attack.

It was such a hard watch.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The Entire History of You was my first and still favourite

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seconding or Thirding that Entire History of You is great but also can hit a bit too close to home.
USS Callister I did really enjoy, but mostly because it also felt like an excuse to just make a Star Trek homage with a Black Mirror coat.

Unsure how I would make my Top 5, there are for sure clunkers as well but there are few episodes I would call downright bad/boring.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 4, 2023

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I can immediately call out Nosedive and San Junipero as two but I'd have to rewatch them all to fill out the rest, maybe White Christmas as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

White Christmas is definitely my favourite. It feels like 2 episodes in one, Jon Hamm is great, and that ending reminds me of The Jaunt by Stephen King.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

White Bear is my favorite because It's set in a society where they have the tech to totally rehabilitate a person and uses it for petty punishment. It gets even worse because the new version of Victoria is arguably innocent of the crimes that the old version committed and yet they keep on punishing her. It's Brooker at his most incisive.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zedd posted:

USS Callister I did really enjoy, but mostly because it also felt like an excuse to just make a Star Trek homage with a Black Mirror coat.

Yeah, the fundamental idea of the episode works with basically any scifi or fantasy franchise, so doing not-Star Trek was definitely a stylistic choice.

It was also released roughly around the "50 years of Star Trek" anniversary and when that piece was written Star Trek had been dead on TV for a decade, so its plausible that someone in the writing team really, really, wanted to do a Star Trek tribute.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 4, 2023

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
I got in an internet slap fight with hardcore Black Mirror fans about SS Callister, turns out people were really upset by just saying "it's okay they're just code".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey buddy, my waifu is "just code" and she's as real as any girl I've seen on TV, so gently caress off.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Wait... It might have been in this thread

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It all boils down to a philosophical argument of at what level self-awareness should be acknowledged by the society as a personhood, and protected by the law.

It gets unbelievably ugly fast, if there are suitable fundamentalists in the audience.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Free Guy is, effectively, the same story, except the creators of the self-aware AI are trying to preserve it FROM the hyper-capitalist. Of course, they also don't know they were successful in their attempt. I think SS Callister was one of the first BM episodes I was shown (I also watched White Christmas that night) so I wasn't sure if "AI are people too, it's the slave trade of the 21st century" was going to be a running theme for the whole show.

It...kind of is?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Aces High posted:

Free Guy is, effectively, the same story, except the creators of the self-aware AI are trying to preserve it FROM the hyper-capitalist. Of course, they also don't know they were successful in their attempt. I think SS Callister was one of the first BM episodes I was shown (I also watched White Christmas that night) so I wasn't sure if "AI are people too, it's the slave trade of the 21st century" was going to be a running theme for the whole show.

It...kind of is?

It definitely is. And not just pure AIs or models made to mimic dead people, simulations based on snapshots of people who are still living as normal humans. When technology allows you to be enslaved without no harm or change to your original self, where is the line drawn for the digital version of you?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Goddamn, Be Right Back has so many unhealthy implications, especially the coda at the end

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aces High posted:

Goddamn, Be Right Back has so many unhealthy implications, especially the coda at the end

Didn't that ep come out right around the same time that Amazon was about to release a feature for Alexa to imitate your dead family members? This show hits too close to home sometimes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aces High posted:

It...kind of is?

It really is, to the point that it feels overused for a portion of the show.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TOP 5
Shut Up and Dance very funny and ends in an upbeat note
Nosedive Bryce Dallas Howard's in it
Metalhead SHOUT OUT TO A GREAT UNDERRATED CLASSIC
The National Anthem Brits gonna Brit
Fifteen Million Merits possibly the most "solid" episode

GOOD BUT NOT QUITE GREAT
Hang the DJ cute
The Entire History of You really disturbing
Be Right Back good and a great ending but did not push its concept's implications enough
USS Callister Jesse Plemmons's in it

MIDDLE OF THE PACK
San Junipero leans too much into the soundtrack, that last one shot is really dumb
White Bear I rated it higher before Shut Up and Dance came as a "fixed" version
White Christmas UNEVEN
The Waldo Moment just there

MEH
Men Against Fire seen and read this many times before
Striking Vipers meh
Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too annoying
Crocodile Black Mirror asks you to accept some far-fetched premises but "Jodie Foster directs something good" is just taking it too far

BOTTOM 5
Playtest generic
Black Museum dumb, uneven, that guy's sweaty face
Smithereens Smithereens
Arkangel a joke
Hated in the Nation so bad it was briefly a meme

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 5, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

TOP 5
Shut Up and Dance very funny and ends in an upbeat note
Nosedive Bryce Dallas Howard's in it
Metalhead SHOUT OUT TO A GREAT UNDERRATED CLASSIC
The National Anthem Brits gonna Brit
Fifteen Million Merits possibly the most "solid" episode

GOOD BUT NOT QUITE GREAT
Hang the DJ cute
The Entire History of You very funny and ends in an upbeat note
Be Right Back good and a great ending but did not push its concept's implications enough
USS Callister Jesse Plemmons's in it

Basically this, though I haven't seen Callister.

Hard agree on White Christmas, though I'd rank it lower because they entirely cast an Asian actor so the reveal at the end would read better on screen. Dunno if that's the kind of thing that would bother me if it happened in current year, but I remember watching it with friends when it aired as part of an Xmas gatho and half the room recoiled. That's what primarily characterises the episode in my memory.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, the fundamental idea of the episode works with basically any scifi or fantasy franchise, so doing not-Star Trek was definitely a stylistic choice.

It was also released roughly around the "50 years of Star Trek" anniversary and when that piece was written Star Trek had been dead on TV for a decade, so its plausible that someone in the writing team really, really, wanted to do a Star Trek tribute.

Fundamentally it wouldn't take much tweaking for the main premise to work with any sort of depiction of reality. A real and virtual version of his office life would be interesting to see depicted as well, especially as it'd make it possible for the people in the simulation to not realize they're in one at first.

I put Callister real high on my own ranking, and White Bear gets a lot of love from me as well.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I realized just now reading this thread that there might be a Black Mirror episode I've never seen? Smithereens looked familiar, and whenever reading the title I thought it was the one with the murder/insurance(?) investigator, but that might be Crocodile? I just looked up a synopsis of Smithereens and it doesn't sound familiar at ALL. So either its just that forgettable, or I have something new to watch this week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grem posted:

I got in an internet slap fight with hardcore Black Mirror fans about SS Callister, turns out people were really upset by just saying "it's okay they're just code".
I'm sorry people were so upset about it with you and were seemingly dicks about it, but they're not just code.

The show is fictional. It tells us they're not just code, therefore they're not just code. Also, if they were, San Junipero wouldn't mean poo poo.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Humans are just atoms. :smug:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's Ok they're just actors

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't look into what atoms are just made of because it's a pretty quick black hole to a bunch of bullshit only weird imaginary math can express.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I realized just now reading this thread that there might be a Black Mirror episode I've never seen? Smithereens looked familiar, and whenever reading the title I thought it was the one with the murder/insurance(?) investigator, but that might be Crocodile? I just looked up a synopsis of Smithereens and it doesn't sound familiar at ALL. So either its just that forgettable, or I have something new to watch this week.

I started watching it, and about two minutes in I realized I had seen it already and just remember nothing about it except for that The main character specifically kept trying to uber people from one specific building because he had a problem with the company. I don't remember what his problem was or what the company in question did, so I guess it really was that forgettable.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The point of Smithereens is to show the amount of reach and power a social media company has on someone if they really wanted to
use the info they have in the same way that the FBI would if the FBI had that info.

The other commentary is the more standard “everyone is addicted to social media and continually jumps to the next distraction”, punctuated by the montage at the end where everyone was gripped by the situation until it ended and they immediately moved on to the next distraction.

It’s one of the few episodes that is basically already 100% grounded in current reality.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

They’re gonna make an episode based on Roko’s Basilisk aren’t they? I can feel it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grem posted:

"What if empathy, but not enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

LividLiquid posted:

I'm sorry people were so upset about it with you and were seemingly dicks about it, but they're not just code.

The show is fictional. It tells us they're not just code, therefore they're not just code. Also, if they were, San Junipero wouldn't mean poo poo.

well that might be the point of the argument. You cannot upload your soul, so whatever digital recreation of your mental pathways is a separate from your physical soul. Any digital recreation of a person is it's own thing.

but you are correct about sympathy. A person can still be sympathetic to a digital creation and like not fantasy-rape recreation of co-workers