Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wayne Knight posted:

Yes, our EUV has:

heated seats (all)
ventilated seats (front)
360º camera
ultrasonic parking sensors
ACC/LKA with radar
Rear cross-traffic alerts
Blind spot light on mirrors
Rain sensor-based autowipers
Wireless AA/Carplay
Wireless charging pad
video mirror (not good, we leave it in regular mirror mode, but putting here for completeness)
sunroof

Might be forgetting some, but getting all of those features on a different EV puts you in a completely different ballpark price-wise. Some of those might seem silly to call out as features, but those are the ones you can't get in a tesla.

We use our other EV when we need the extra range and better charging network, but most of the time it just sits in the garage and makes me wonder why we still have it. I enjoy driving the EUV much more.
250mi and 50kw charging is absolutely fine and people lie to themselves that it isn't. Would I like it better if it was 300mi/250kw? Of course, but the fact that it isn't doesn't make it a bad car by any means.

edit: forgot heated steering wheel

I've got most of those features that I'd want (do not want auto wipers), wireless AA is great, three level seat heaters are great, heated steering wheel is great, 360⁰ camera is awesome, though my front camera got hit by a rock and needs replacement, super jealous of those vented seats though, I get swamp rear end pretty easy in the summer. Need to figure out how to actually use remote start for the A/C.

A lot of my complaints about the Bolt's handling turned out to be me fighting LKA, now that I have that figured it's awesome on the highway, very low effort to drive.

E: it's silly, but the biggest reason I'm looking forward to switching to the Bolt is the dead pedal/foot rest, I have big feet and a lot of foot and ankle problems, and the Leaf's foot rest is too small and awkwardly angled, and my left foot cramps up on my long commute.

Also looking forward to my work paying for 100% of the energy for my commute, that's going to be tight.

bird with big dick posted:

Just stick some shrimp ice up ur rear end

Thread title please

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It seems that the Tesla roadster preorder page is open for Europe locales, 4k€ of deposit and then 39k€ of prepayment (to be done shortly thereafter, up to ten days). It seems too low given the fantasy specs provided(like 1000km of range).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I mean, it’s all just deposit you’re not paying for the whole car, the price is supposed to be 200k

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I mean, it’s all just deposit you’re not paying for the whole car, the price is supposed to be 200k

That didn't stop news outlets to state that the roadster is going to be faster than a Nevera at 1/50 of price.

https://insideevs.it/news/670523/tesla-roadster-prenotazioni-prezzo-italia-2023/

Which is more indicative of the shite state of auto journalism.

I must admit that the Tesla store page made it as muddy as hell since it's unclear if that's a prepayment, a full payment or a donation to the church of musk.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wayne Knight posted:

Yes, our EUV has:

heated seats (all)
ventilated seats (front)
360º camera
ultrasonic parking sensors
ACC/LKA with radar
Rear cross-traffic alerts
Blind spot light on mirrors
Rain sensor-based autowipers
Wireless AA/Carplay
Wireless charging pad
video mirror (not good, we leave it in regular mirror mode, but putting here for completeness)
sunroof

Might be forgetting some, but getting all of those features on a different EV puts you in a completely different ballpark price-wise. Some of those might seem silly to call out as features, but those are the ones you can't get in a tesla.

We use our other EV when we need the extra range and better charging network, but most of the time it just sits in the garage and makes me wonder why we still have it. I enjoy driving the EUV much more.
250mi and 50kw charging is absolutely fine and people lie to themselves that it isn't. Would I like it better if it was 300mi/250kw? Of course, but the fact that it isn't doesn't make it a bad car by any means.

edit: forgot heated steering wheel

Just for fun I priced up those options for a Taycan:

868,70 € Sitzheizung vorne und hinten
1.011,50 € Sitzbelüftung vorne
1.416,10 € ParkAssistent inkl. Surround
1.749,30 € Abstandsregeltempostat
773,50 € Spurwechselassistent
416,50 € Innenspiegel & Außenspiegel automatisch abblendend
267,75 € Lenkradheizung (i.V.m. Teilleder- und Lederausstattungen)

Total: €6,501.35

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just got back from Scottsdale.

There was a family who drove from Santa Fe in a 60kWh LEAF. That's four (4) charging stops.

The kid was all telling people "it took us forever because we're in an EV" and I had to follow her around saying "we also took an EV that isn't the absolute slowest charging and it was no big deal for us."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Just stick some shrimp ice up ur rear end
EV Thread mk3: Just stick some shrimp ice up ur rear end

Elviscat posted:

Thread title please
:yeah:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

It seems that the Tesla roadster preorder page is open for Europe locales, 4k€ of deposit and then 39k€ of prepayment (to be done shortly thereafter, up to ten days). It seems too low given the fantasy specs provided(like 1000km of range).

I wanna know if it has the rocket thrusters.

(It will not have rocket thrusters)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
LMAO imagine putting $50,000 down on a car that won't exist for 10+ years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Speleothing posted:

its clearly for people for whom 50k is not a significant amount of money which ought to be true for anyone shelling out $250K+ on a car

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Speleothing posted:

Car Citizen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cruft posted:

Just got back from Scottsdale.

There was a family who drove from Santa Fe in a 60kWh LEAF. That's four (4) charging stops.

The kid was all telling people "it took us forever because we're in an EV" and I had to follow her around saying "we also took an EV that isn't the absolute slowest charging and it was no big deal for us."

How old was this kid?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

How old was this kid?

I guess like 14.

I wasn't stalking the kid, don't worry. The Irish dance competition was teeming with kids, and she's in our school so we were in the same place a lot.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Seems like every time I bring up anything related to Irish dance ITT it comes out completely bonkers wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you, an adult, followed a random child around to repeatedly correct her statements to her friends and defend your electric vehicle's performance, that is exceedingly weird and goony.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Getting together a list of dealerships I would like to swing by to check out EVs/PHEVs:
- Volvo (V60, XC60, XC90 Recharge)
- Audi (Q4/Q8 e-tron)
- BMW (iX, i4)
- Genesis (GV60 - I want to touch orb, GV70)
- Chevy (Bolt EUV) (kind of not similar to the others but curious to see what it's like)

Actually kind of leaning most towards the V60 T8, on paper so far. I need to see how it can fit stuff, and how it drives. Some are just too expensive like the Q8, XC90 and iX, would be too much for me to spend on a vehicle I think.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

If you, an adult, followed a random child around to repeatedly correct her statements to her friends and defend your electric vehicle's performance, that is exceedingly weird and goony.

Poorly related embellishment. No following happened. And only one correction, to an adult friend of mine she was talking with.

You know what, it's probably time for a posting break.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 5, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

I guess like 14.

I wasn't stalking the kid, don't worry. The Irish dance competition was teeming with kids, and she's in our school so we were in the same place a lot.

EV Thread Mk3: I wasn't stalking the kid, don't worry

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

EV Thread Mk3: I wasn't stalking the kid, don't worry

You do this and I'm warning you right now, BWBD's penis gets it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Review of the new Prius. Plug-in hybrid with ~44 miles of range.

https://youtu.be/usqSJ7zbTLQ

It looks like a good car but I lolled at the solar panel’s achievements. He left the car out for an entire weekend and it regained just 12% battery. That’s 5 miles of range.

It might make a lot of sense for someone with outdoor parking and very short commutes. But it’s also no wonder we don’t see solar panels in pure EVs. With a larger battery the gain would be minuscule in percentage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Solar panels on cars are usually good for just running a fan to keep the interior not too stifling in hot weather, Audi has been doing that for years iirc

Anyone who would depend on it for battery charging is a goofball though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

You do this

you heard the man

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
If you run stuff like battery thermal management while the car is off and parked outside, then solar panels could make sense to offset the constant draw from that if you're going to park outside for extended periods of time. I'd be surprised if ~2kWh over 3 days is enough to do that though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Review of the new Prius. Plug-in hybrid with ~44 miles of range.

https://youtu.be/usqSJ7zbTLQ

It looks like a good car but I lolled at the solar panel’s achievements. He left the car out for an entire weekend and it regained just 12% battery. That’s 5 miles of range.

It might make a lot of sense for someone with outdoor parking and very short commutes. But it’s also no wonder we don’t see solar panels in pure EVs. With a larger battery the gain would be minuscule in percentage.

Solar panels for EVs don't stand up to incredibly basic math.

Solar irradiance at sea level, on a cloudless day at noon, at the equator: about 1000 W/m2

Modern high-performance polycrystalline photovoltaic cell efficiency: ~25%

Projected overhead surface area of a Tesla Model 3: 8.7 square meters

If the entire surface of the car, including the windshield, were covered in solar panels, and you parked it at the equator, you would charge at 2.2 kW at noon. As the sun went down you would lose performance, working out to around 30% of the maximum charge rate over the course of the time the sun is up. So an average of ~600 watts over the course of the day, call it 12 hours of charging, for 7.2 kWh total. At the equator, in summer, with your entire car covered in a blanket of solar cells.

A panel the size of the car's roof parked at wealthy country latitudes will generate a practically useless (for motive power) amount of energy. IDK why people keep reintroducing the idea every few years like this is the time it'll work. Physics says no!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Imagine a world where your 12v battery never dies and bricks your car though! Kind of ideal for keeping that on trickle charge and to keep the electric vampire drains at bay.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Imagine a world where your 12v battery never dies and bricks your car though! Kind of ideal for keeping that on trickle charge and to keep the electric vampire drains at bay.

this.

Tesla cabin overheat protection with the compressor on anecdotally uses ~750W, and it only needs to run when the sun is shining. Getting some of that offset with solar isn't an awful idea.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Yes, but that particular one is actually for an Ioniq 5, despite what the description says.

Speaking of Ioniq 5's... The dealer loaned me a 5 RWD to drive this week while the Hyundai tech looks at my car. I've driven it for about an hour now and... it's fine.

Feels like a bulkier Ioniq 6 with worse angles for the driver. The steering wheel never feels like it's quite in the right place, regardless of how I telescope/tilt it or adjust the driver's seat. It's very mildly tiring to my shoulders and arms in a way that the 6 never is.

And for some boneheaded reason, the steering wheel buttons for infotainment and driver assists are reversed from the ones in the Ioniq 6. Same model year, too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WhiteHowler posted:

It's very mildly tiring to my shoulders and arms in a way that the 6 never is.

Get beefy, noodle arms.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cruft posted:

EV Thread mk3: BWBD's penis gets it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

You do this

That sounds like a dare to me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sagebrush posted:

Solar panels for EVs don't stand up to incredibly basic math.

Solar irradiance at sea level, on a cloudless day at noon, at the equator: about 1000 W/m2

Modern high-performance polycrystalline photovoltaic cell efficiency: ~25%

Projected overhead surface area of a Tesla Model 3: 8.7 square meters

If the entire surface of the car, including the windshield, were covered in solar panels, and you parked it at the equator, you would charge at 2.2 kW at noon. As the sun went down you would lose performance, working out to around 30% of the maximum charge rate over the course of the time the sun is up. So an average of ~600 watts over the course of the day, call it 12 hours of charging, for 7.2 kWh total. At the equator, in summer, with your entire car covered in a blanket of solar cells.

A panel the size of the car's roof parked at wealthy country latitudes will generate a practically useless (for motive power) amount of energy. IDK why people keep reintroducing the idea every few years like this is the time it'll work. Physics says no!

it's for hotel power. i don't know why you keep insisting that people think it's to charge the car for motive power. keep tiltin at that windmill, i guess.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

And for some boneheaded reason, the steering wheel buttons for infotainment and driver assists are reversed from the ones in the Ioniq 6. Same model year, too.

That is wild. How is it not the same exact part?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They made a Lexus version of the Toyota bZ4x (did I capitalize that right?).

https://youtu.be/8OV_XXt75aI

No word on whether it’ll similarly lose half its range and fail to charge in cold weather, as well as have wheels that fall right off.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Just got it home and charging via crappy 110 until my wall charger rolls in tomorrow but it's an incredible car. Insane power with clever, thoughtful design everywhere. It really feels like Kia didn't cut any corners and manages to feel like a sports car cockpit instead of a sterile pod with tablets glued everywhere.

I'll do a burnout by the weekend, I didn't buy a car with a drift mode to never use it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

It really feels like Kia didn't cut any corners and manages to feel like a sports car cockpit instead of a sterile pod with tablets glued everywhere.

Love it, congratulations. That car got great reviews, it seems like a really nice one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That sounds like a dare to me

I friggin' warned you! :argh:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wayne Knight posted:

That is wild. How is it not the same exact part?

Dunno! They have essentially identical functionality -- all the same buttons are there, they're just moved around.

The Ioniq 5 appears to use the same button layout as most other Hyundai cars -- it's the same layout as the Tuscon I drove last week.

Personally I think the 6 layout is better because it puts the infotainment buttons near the infotainment console, and the driver assist stuff near the turn signal lever, where cruise control is on most of the cars I've driven in the past.

Jymmybob posted:

Just got it home and charging via crappy 110 until my wall charger rolls in tomorrow but it's an incredible car. Insane power with clever, thoughtful design everywhere. It really feels like Kia didn't cut any corners and manages to feel like a sports car cockpit instead of a sterile pod with tablets glued everywhere.

I'll do a burnout by the weekend, I didn't buy a car with a drift mode to never use it.

Congrats! It looks great. You ended up with the GT then?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

priznat posted:

Getting together a list of dealerships I would like to swing by to check out EVs/PHEVs:
- Volvo (V60, XC60, XC90 Recharge)
- Audi (Q4/Q8 e-tron)
- BMW (iX, i4)
- Genesis (GV60 - I want to touch orb, GV70)
- Chevy (Bolt EUV) (kind of not similar to the others but curious to see what it's like)

Actually kind of leaning most towards the V60 T8, on paper so far. I need to see how it can fit stuff, and how it drives. Some are just too expensive like the Q8, XC90 and iX, would be too much for me to spend on a vehicle I think.

Any reason Polestar's not on that list? Or Mach-E? I would love to hear what you think of all of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's for hotel power. i don't know why you keep insisting that people think it's to charge the car for motive power. keep tiltin at that windmill, i guess.

Tell Aptera that. (I know we're not taking about Aptera)

The new Prius Prime is supposedly pretty quick

Also Jesus gently caress that thread title.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

I friggin' warned you! :argh:

Did you now?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

When you see it, you'll be sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR