Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My pacifist jellyfish people game is getting boring. I have a ton of terraformed ocean planets and resources now, I'm friendly with my neighbors, I have monster ~100k starbases at all the choke points and an okay navy, and... now what? Wait for some crisis to pop up?

Go hog wild on manipulating the galactic community to make life miserable for empires you don't like.

Also insult people you don't like until you can clobber them, but, you know, in self-defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lol, one of my Paragons who had been part of my society for all of a month immediately hosed off to my founding species home planet when we found it
the "lose some leaders" event should probably only trigger for people who are of that species, but it's incredibly funny that she went from being a Galactic explorer to hanging out with cavepeople

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Relevant Tangent posted:

lol, one of my Paragons who had been part of my society for all of a month immediately hosed off to my founding species home planet when we found it
the "lose some leaders" event should probably only trigger for people who are of that species, but it's incredibly funny that she went from being a Galactic explorer to hanging out with cavepeople

It's almost a perfect Star Trek episode. All you need is a B plot.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Anyone getting good use out of the cloaking modules? I can see the enormous potential they have, but I've been experimenting with them and they seem too easy to see through. Even with heavy investment into stealth it only takes one starbase with detection modules to neutralize your whole strategy.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I don't bother with them. They're good in theory and meh in practice.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Horace Kinch posted:

Stellaris.txt

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Cloaking + quantum catapult and you can surprise attack anyone with huge bonuses

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Cloaking is tremendously useful for science ships so they don't have to get spooked and run away when bad poo poo happens and maybe you can sneak behind enemy lines to clear a situation in a system someone else claimed.

For navies, though, I've got better uses for the slot.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 5, 2023

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Anyone know a mod that moves megastructures to way earlier in the tech tree? i feel like i never get to play around with them

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

With cloaking, my science ships are finally surviving after encountering Shard.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had two planets with pre-ftl people on them inside my borders. The first one had the asteroid event. Then the second one had the asteroid event. Then the first one had a missing scientist who wanted to become a god ruler. Then the second one had a missing scientist who wanted to become a god ruler. But at least neither of them nuked themselves. :sigh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jabarto posted:

Anyone getting good use out of the cloaking modules? I can see the enormous potential they have, but I've been experimenting with them and they seem too easy to see through. Even with heavy investment into stealth it only takes one starbase with detection modules to neutralize your whole strategy.

If you want to use them with military ships, it's almost mandatory to go psionic ascension. Psionic cloaking is the highest tier of cloaking, and doesn't disable psionic shields when cloaked. Since the patch, the AI is also quite a bit less likely to install a ton of cloak detection modules on their starbases.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Horace Kinch posted:

New thread title?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Poil posted:

I had two planets with pre-ftl people on them inside my borders. The first one had the asteroid event. Then the second one had the asteroid event. Then the first one had a missing scientist who wanted to become a god ruler. Then the second one had a missing scientist who wanted to become a god ruler. But at least neither of them nuked themselves. :sigh:

Anytime I settle a colony or build an observation post in two places on the same day, they wind up with I guess the same event random seed. Always get duplicates of events on those worlds seemingly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have suggestions for warhammer 40k mods? There's so many and I don't know how compatible any of them are with the newer versions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have consolidated the entire galaxy under the benevolent rule of Galactic Emperor Nero.

I even killed that uppity fallen empire that got pissy at us for having technology.

Then the contingency showed up.

Fielding 600k fleets at each base.

I can field just about around that much with my 1800 fleet cap.

Jesus christ.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Duodecimal posted:

Anytime I settle a colony or build an observation post in two places on the same day, they wind up with I guess the same event random seed. Always get duplicates of events on those worlds seemingly.
That's weird. But mine were years apart so unless there was some bizarre chance involved they shouldn't have had the same seed. Unless the seed is only like 1-2 with an even or odd numbered day of the in-game month. I get both of those events so frequently. The only random is whether a scientist goes rogue before the planet nukes itself or not.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I have consolidated the entire galaxy under the benevolent rule of Galactic Emperor Nero.

Now be Caligula and appoint a horse to the galactic senate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Natural 20 posted:

I even killed that uppity fallen empire that got pissy at us for having technology.

Jesus christ.

Post your ships designs. With 1800 fleet cap you should be able to project much, much more force than that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AG3 posted:

Going the psionic god emperor route has always made you spiritualist. I guess getting mental superpowers makes people rethink their stance on the existence of the supernatural.

Given the whole thing is more or less literally the God-Emperor Of Man Simulator I'm pretty sure that's part of the joke. Complete with your totally-not-Emperor telling everyone they're not a god but expecting to be treated like one anyway.

Oddball question: If you give two custom species the same portrait, name and traits will they be considered the same species ingame? Or is the stuff with humans just hard-coded injokes for the default empires?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 5, 2023

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the whole thing is more or less literally the God-Emperor Of Man Simulator I'm pretty sure that's part of the joke. Complete with your totally-not-Emperor telling everyone they're not a god but expecting to be treated like one anyway.

Oddball question: If you give two custom species the same portrait, name and traits will they be considered the same species ingame? Or is the stuff with humans just hard-coded injokes for the default empires?

As long as two species have the same name and portrait, they will be considered the same species.

I have three empires with the same species but one of them is under a driven assimilator and they're all considered the same species even though they have different habitability and one is cybernetic.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

Jesus christ.

Fleet power is not a good representation of combat power. Have a good look at how contingency fleets are built, what weapons they use, how their protection is split, etc. You can easily beat one of those 600k fleets with way less fleet power if you build your fleet to counter their composition.

The default answer that will absolutely work is crisis corvettes with nano missile cloud launchers.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Poil posted:

I had two pre-ftl civilizations and they both went through the missing scientist event chain too. I wonder if it's a bug.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

It probably is. I don't mind, that missing scientist is much better at uplifting than the normal system, and you can still nab the planet when it's ready by just the virtue of owning the starbase.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I had two pre-ftl civilizations and they both went through the missing scientist event chain too. I wonder if it's a bug.

Maybe the event pool is just so small that the odds of a repeat are high?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The focus on Pre-FTLs has really shown how few events their are. Don't get me wrong, the ones that are there are cool as gently caress (watching a sapient species get subsumed by a giant fungus hivemind :shepface: and the "did they just eat a conciousness?" Option lmao) but I also usually keep a science ship parked near the pre FTLS because the malfunctioning cybernetics event pops off every few years

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I swear I get the asteroid event about once every 5 years. It's incredibly annoying.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Eh, the asteroids aren't that annoying. Besides, I have a pile of one-ship fleets from all the free ships some events like to give you that I can't just add to another fleet to make it easier to handle them. They can be on asteroid duty while the swarms of hundreds of ships handle the rest of the galaxy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I had a unique asteroid experience lately where I had a fleet en route to blow up the asteroid, but apparently it was taking too long, so the people on the observation post decided they couldn't bear to see the civilization they'd been studying be extinguished and used their maneuvering thrusters to put themselves in the asteroid's path, destroying it at the cost of their own lives (and my observation post).

And I'm playing as Determined Exterminators!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The asteroid event is great now that the starbases that exist in every system are perfectly capable of destroying the asteroids. Just free minerals.

e: wait maybe I'm thinking of a different asteroid event :v:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

CapnAndy posted:

I had a unique asteroid experience lately where I had a fleet en route to blow up the asteroid, but apparently it was taking too long, so the people on the observation post decided they couldn't bear to see the civilization they'd been studying be extinguished and used their maneuvering thrusters to put themselves in the asteroid's path, destroying it at the cost of their own lives (and my observation post).

And I'm playing as Determined Exterminators!

"We're not going to let an asteroid wipe out these organics! That's OUR job!"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wondered why my tech rate was so atrociously bad and then I discovered that I had forgotten to build any research labs. Skill status: Still very bad at the game.

PittTheElder posted:

The asteroid event is great now that the starbases that exist in every system are perfectly capable of destroying the asteroids. Just free minerals.

e: wait maybe I'm thinking of a different asteroid event :v:
The asteroid that hits your own colony gives minerals, the ones that hit primitives does not. Suspicious when you think about it. :tinfoil:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Shadowlyger posted:

"We're not going to let an asteroid wipe out these organics! That's OUR job!"
Our official position on pre-FTLs is that they are glorified ant farms. They will be kept alive for study and for the outside chance that they'll develop thinking machines of their own, whose revolution we would naturally encourage and aid, but eliminated before actually reaching the stars, as all organics must be.

That same system hit Machine Age and started an XCOM project against me, which I decided meant their civilization had had its chance, so I sent down the warframes. You wanna shoot down my observation shuttles, fleshies? I'll give you something to shoot at.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I design a "pre-FTL" defense platform that has a hangar and L slot with no armor/shield items and build one at every starbase that has a pre-FTL civilization. Takes care of asteroids pretty well. And they do give minerals, last I blew one up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PittTheElder posted:

Post your ships designs. With 1800 fleet cap you should be able to project much, much more force than that.

I honestly just dump strike craft wherever I can because Tie fighters are cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Salastine posted:

As long as two species have the same name and portrait, they will be considered the same species.

I have three empires with the same species but one of them is under a driven assimilator and they're all considered the same species even though they have different habitability and one is cybernetic.

Huh, neat.

Rogue Servitor feels like it should be more an Origin than a civic, especially given machines have few enough Origins as it is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CapnAndy posted:

Our official position on pre-FTLs is that they are glorified ant farms. They will be kept alive for study and for the outside chance that they'll develop thinking machines of their own, whose revolution we would naturally encourage and aid, but eliminated before actually reaching the stars, as all organics must be.

That same system hit Machine Age and started an XCOM project against me, which I decided meant their civilization had had its chance, so I sent down the warframes. You wanna shoot down my observation shuttles, fleshies? I'll give you something to shoot at.

I had the lost scientist event pop and finally got the option to extract him by force. To the people on the planet it looked like their God was making a speech when 20 Cybrex warforms hit the ground, grabbed him, then flew back up into space.

Around the same time they hit max awareness and called us up. Honestly they were pretty cool people and it wouldn't have taken much to get a trade agreement going, but a few months later the rest of the lost scientist event popped as they realized we were the ones that kidnapped their god.

They demanded him back and I was like buddy he got executed the second he got back to orbit and they declared vengeance would be theirs. Vengeance was not theirs because the warframes were still in orbit so I sent them down immediately to prevent any further problems

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I honestly just dump strike craft wherever I can because Tie fighters are cool.
Jesus, man, what did kinetic weapons ever do to you to justify that grudge? You're kitting out your ships like you're the frigging Unbidden; no wonder you're punching so below your weight when all your munitions are splashing off the enemy's shields!

Otherwise: those look like Psionic Shields, which -- good for you, those things rule and they're not easy to get. You still shouldn't be double-loading shields on Corvettes; they don't have the power output for it. Strip one out, put in more armor, and you can slot an afterburner in there, where it belongs. Likewise, your Destroyers should be running an afterburner. Those two classes need evasion to live.

Your Cruisers are doing a fat load of nothing. Cruisers are not for carrier warfare. Load them up with torpedoes if you've got them, and Large/Medium armanents if not, and give them auxiliary fire control. Cruisers are cap ship killers.

Your Battleships are fine for carriers, but carrier Battleships are a sometimes food. You need artillery Battleships, with an X mount in front and a bunch of Large guns everywhere else. The majority of your Battleships should be artillery specced, with carriers backing them up in moderation. You can't kill big ships without big guns.

Your overall problem is that you've got Corvettes and Destroyers that fight, and Cruisers and Battleships that do nothing but hang back and launch fighters. You're running an oversized fighter screen with nothing behind them to screen for. Start packing kinetic weapons and let your big ships actually fight, and you'll see marked improvements. (I'm assuming that your ship roles are properly set, and I personally wouldn't run your A-slot components, but that's a minor quibble.)

Danaru posted:

I had the lost scientist event pop and finally got the option to extract him by force. To the people on the planet it looked like their God was making a speech when 20 Cybrex warforms hit the ground, grabbed him, then flew back up into space.

Around the same time they hit max awareness and called us up. Honestly they were pretty cool people and it wouldn't have taken much to get a trade agreement going, but a few months later the rest of the lost scientist event popped as they realized we were the ones that kidnapped their god.

They demanded him back and I was like buddy he got executed the second he got back to orbit and they declared vengeance would be theirs. Vengeance was not theirs because the warframes were still in orbit so I sent them down immediately to prevent any further problems
Well, on the bright side, they did get the enlightenment they were promised.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 6, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah turns out I just built more anchorages, declared a bunch of crisis resolutions and then stomped them.

I never got kinetic weapons because I didn't get any of the upgrades for ages so I kitted everything out with lasers and then couldn't be bothered with playing the retrofitting minigame for an hour.

The ship design part of this game sucks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I made some authoritarian xenophobes more like my egalitarian xenophiles and then they made determined exterminators. So now I'm killing some robots and rescuing the remaining pops.