Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I noticed on the iPhone XR The lens did stick out a little. This one is kind of ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t find it gets in the way, and I don’t really use my phone when it’s sitting on a table, so the wobble is mostly a theoretical concern for me.

Great pics, though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All phones are like that now, as someone who doesn’t use phone cases I loving hate it and wish they’d just make the phone thicker.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mystes posted:

That seems a little bit indecent and/or unwieldy

I don’t put my phone in a case and the goofy lack of symmetry has literally never been a problem.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

That seems a little bit indecent and/or unwieldy

I thought something similar for the pixel 7 camera bar thing. Turns out the case makes everything flush and it's not as big of a deal as you'd expect.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Why, you could even put in a bigger battery if you made the phone a bit thicker and that'd be great, so obviously they won't do it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s gonna cost me over a grand just to get an iPhone with USB C.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Android Apocalypse posted:

My iPhone XR was on its last legs so I upgraded to a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro.

The best color to go with - even in a case

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Finally home, the rest of the Japan haul that isn't records.

A Seiko watch

Some Cole Haan shoes

An antique tea cup

And some woodblock prints

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I like the protrusion on new phones it helps me hold it when its caseless

I have a new galaxy s23 ultra blah blah on the way and I should put a case on it as I've cracked my last two screens

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Buying-watches-while-traveling bros.

I spent the other week in Switzerland and got both a Mondaine watch commemorating their railway system and a Tissot Tradition.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I went to the fair, I bought 2 freshly fried corn dogs. They were god tier.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Oh man that Mondaine is so nice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s a huge bummer they don’t make the Stop2Go functionality in my size but here’s a neat video showing off the engineering behind their clocks. I fell in love with the design and when I found out they aren’t too expensive in watch-form I just had to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvpNHZC2UL4

I’m on the notify list for the wall clock that does this at least :shrug:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Catatron Prime posted:

Grats! I did the same thing and upgraded my kayak a few years ago, and I still can't believe how much better the whole paddling experience is now. Still on the fence about upgrading my paddle from fiberglass to carbon fiber, but can't bring myself to click buy button

You have any neat paddling trips or destinations planned?

I definitely want to upgrade from an aluminum paddle to fiberglass or carbon fiber, but oof the price jump on those.

I don't have anything planned yet. This is a major upgrade from my last kayak, so my goal for this summer/fall is to learn more advanced paddling and take some classes on self-rescue and sea (great lakes) kayaking.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Carbon fiber paddles are max-level gear slutty but boy they feel nice

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
This week was Strat copy week.

Mako HSS Strat, bought for the neck to put on a different Mako

Hondo Deluxe Series 760 RW/R. Rosewood veneer on a solid wood body, matching headstock, rosewood fret board. And it plays and sounds excellent.

Hondo Deluxe Series 760 B/B, black with factory black hardware and pickguard. Dirt and funk included for free!

Hondo Standard Series H-7600 GS, Golden Sunburst

With color matched headstock

Yes, a sunburst headstock.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Not really a purchase, because it was free, Bosch LR-7 receiver to pair with my GLL 3-80 laser level / cross line laser. Bosch Pro deals are really good.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Bought some things to hold things.

For my kid's art supplies - I already have one in my office, it's reasonably nice.

For the deck to hold pool / outdoor / entertaining stuff.

Not pictured: Some gun bike parts (new stem, seat post, seat)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a cooler to keep my birdseed and peanuts in. I thought that it being sealed would be safe but I forgot about the sheer willpower of squirrels.

Doesn't help that I've been hand-feeding a few of them for years... whoops.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

dreesemonkey posted:

Bought some things to hold things.

For my kid's art supplies - I already have one in my office, it's reasonably nice.

For the deck to hold pool / outdoor / entertaining stuff.

Not pictured: Some gun bike parts (new stem, seat post, seat)

Where'd you get the outdoor thingy? I've been looking for those but neither Big Orange or Big Blue home improvement store has them for some reason.

Also hoping I can find one for cheaper than $200+. An ordinary deck box with the same amount of storage is like half that for some reason. I just want to store tall things like umbrellas without stacking them on top of each other. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not really a purchase, because it was free, Bosch LR-7 receiver to pair with my GLL 3-80 laser level / cross line laser. Bosch Pro deals are really good.

At first I thought that this was a guitar tuner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

At first I thought that this was a guitar tuner.

From the thumbnail, I briefly thought it was a Pepsi vending machine.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Quiet Feet posted:

Where'd you get the outdoor thingy? I've been looking for those but neither Big Orange or Big Blue home improvement store has them for some reason.

Also hoping I can find one for cheaper than $200+. An ordinary deck box with the same amount of storage is like half that for some reason. I just want to store tall things like umbrellas without stacking them on top of each other. :(

Amazon for $200. Reviews not that great.

More than I wanted to spend, but I couldn't find anything else that was close and the color should match my existing outdoor storage stuff. Worth the gamble.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some cameras from the Camera fair

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Megabound posted:

Some cameras from the Camera fair

What the gently caress is that Minolta!!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Waste of Breath posted:

What the gently caress is that Minolta!!

Minolta 110 Zoom SLR. It's an SLR that shoots 110 and has a 35mm equivalent 50 - 100mm zoom lens that can also do macro. They're aperture priority only.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
110 makes sense in retrospect seeing the weird size. Is that second lens looking thing the aperture selection? Super weird if so. Guessing adjusting that changes how much light hits the meter to adjust shutter speed appropriately? (it looks like the front has different openings?)

I've got a Yashica samurai and I still think that Minolta is weird lmao

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah that's correct, turning that dial changes the aperture and let's more or less light in to the light meter behind that cover with the holes in on the left.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'll admit I don't know a ton about film... But isn't a zoom lend on a 110 camera a bit of a "lipstick on a pig" situation?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
When I was a kid I got a free plastic 110 film camera from a magazine mail in and when I took it to a camera store to buy film they just gave me a better 135 film camera instead.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'll admit I don't know a ton about film... But isn't a zoom lend on a 110 camera a bit of a "lipstick on a pig" situation?

Focal length is selected for how much perspective/compression you want in the image so it has its uses. It's still a bizarre camera tho

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

110 was pretty popular for a while so some higher end cameras got made. The Pentax Auto 110, Minolta Zoom SLR and Zoom SLR Mk 2 were probably the best of the bunch. Rollei also did the A110, not a SLR but a respectable lens.

The images you can get out of 110 with a competent lens is actually pretty remarkable. Not my photo, but this is from a Rollei A110

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I just grabbed "Raw Dog" by Jamie Loftus. It's a great book so far, if you are in any way interested in hot dogs she's a pretty great writer.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Cross-Posting: We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!

Just ordered this from someone selling it.. Can't wait to put it up on my shelf next to my 4,5,6 trilogy!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

fyallm posted:

Cross-Posting: We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!

Gonna go with two novelty sized double headed axes

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Or one of those Home Depot skeletons

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There's places that allow you to print whatever image you want on canvas.

Comedy option:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fyallm posted:

This is like a shot out of a Kubrick film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Android Apocalypse posted:

There's places that allow you to print whatever image you want on canvas.

Hummm, decent quality? Got a reputable link?