Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I coulda sworn I heard he was vaguely connected to the whole Dan Schnieder thingy but my memory is crap so I'm not sure on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Fairly OddParents a lot as a kid, but the last time I tried revisiting it, it seemed to lack much depth. Like not just the more recent Fairly OddParents has been disappointing as a shambling husk of a series that Nickelodeon refuses to let die, but the original stuff isn't really that great either. It was fine, but not great.

Danny Phantom was pretty good, but still a pretty mixed bag. It was kinda before longrunning overarching narratives in cartoons had become popular, so the overall plot was pretty sloppily done. If Butch wasn't very deeply involved that'd make sense. His later dealings get really skeevy.

I think Nickelodeon is suffering from not having been investing much in developing new things in animation for the last 20 years, so they haven't fostered either a talent pool or an IP pool to work with. Danny Phantom might be about ready to hit the nostalgia cycle, but from the way Nick has dealt with newer incarnations of its other IPs, I wouldn't be too hopeful.

BioEnchanted posted:

First of all, where the gently caress is Steven's jacket?

Hadn't been established yet.

PicklePants posted:

https://www.insider.com/butch-hartman-accused-plagiarizing-commission-art-mikasa-drawing-trace-ackerman-2021-2

yeah, he ripped of some Fan Art for his $200 dollar commissions.

I mean, I don't know if I'd put him in John K level. As far as I know, he never lured 16 year olds to live in his house, be his girlfriend and work on his shows.

He's just a scammy prick, who mostly takes credit for of Steven Silver's character design work.

Seems like such a smalltime grift for a guy who was also busy with bigtime grifts.

I think there's definitely been no John K style allegations, but there's more than one way to be a bad person. I don't think all the bad stuff about John K was even particularly secret at the time, it just took culture a while to care much about that sort of thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Butch Hartman is really more just a general rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0rGg32k9LI

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 31, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yeah he doesn't have to be John K exactly to be considered a bad enough person to deserve scorn.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1970s Jack Kirby fill-in energy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Junpei posted:

I coulda sworn I heard he was vaguely connected to the whole Dan Schnieder thingy but my memory is crap so I'm not sure on that front.

He ripped people off on Kickstarter for a lovely streaming service for kids that was revealed later to be Christian Propaganda and then, after a test launch, never happening and he just ran off with the money.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvzw4Ibuho

New Mutant Mayhem trailer.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked Fairly OddParents a lot as a kid, but the last time I tried revisiting it, it seemed to lack much depth. Like not just the more recent Fairly OddParents has been disappointing as a shambling husk of a series that Nickelodeon refuses to let die, but the original stuff isn't really that great either. It was fine, but not great.

Yah i know what you mean. i used to watch fairly oddparents fairly frequently back in the day, but even the early episodes that i liked aren't really that great. there's many reasons for it, but i think it's cause it got swept up in the post 90s/early 00s trend of cynicism and meanspiritedness. so many episodes where timmy gets hosed over even after he learns his lesson. and it only got worse as time went on. one of the main reasons i lost interest in it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Danny Phantom is probably Butch Hartman’s best show and it’s also the one he had the least amount to do with (what exactly was his involvement with the series anyway besides pitching the idea and presumably doing the art?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 31, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like you could make an argument that Fairly Odd Parent's peaks were Channel Chasers and the Jimmy Neutron crossovers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Danny Phantom is probably Butch Hartman’s best show and it’s also the one he had the least amount to do with (what exactly was his involvement with the series anyway besides pitching the idea and presumably doing the art?)

Didn't Hartman get the show cancelled because he wildly overspent on everything and Nick finally said no?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Hartman get the show cancelled because he wildly overspent on everything and Nick finally said no?

Not sure, I only just watched it for the first time recently (I know it got a proper series finale at least)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Turns out the world's oldest father was 92, so give Pachinky a few more years to try again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They just put up a Spongebob Nenderoid for preorder and because of the way he's designed, it doesn't even look like a Nenderoid and instead just like... a figure of Spongebob

https://www.goodsmileus.com/product/nendoroid-spongebob-squarepants-8681?mc_cid=1d945fdda7&mc_eid=84e49c024c

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

They just put up a Spongebob Nenderoid for preorder and because of the way he's designed, it doesn't even look like a Nenderoid and instead just like... a figure of Spongebob

https://www.goodsmileus.com/product/nendoroid-spongebob-squarepants-8681?mc_cid=1d945fdda7&mc_eid=84e49c024c

This is legitimately good and I would probably buy it if I had $50 kicking around.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Spongebob already had the proportions of a nendoroid.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

They've been making figures of non human characters for a while now and they strive to be fairly accurate in those cases. They're very high quality. I have a Molcar figure from them and it's fantastic looking and even feeling.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I do wanna be clear also I'm being complimentary. It looks great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Danny Phantom is just basically Spider-man with tinges of Ghostbusters as it is.

A shame they never got around to a crossover, so much would make sense with Danny's parents being huge fans of the Ghostbusters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Danny Phantom is just basically Spider-man with tinges of Ghostbusters as it is.

A shame they never got around to a crossover, so much would make sense with Danny's parents being huge fans of the Ghostbusters.

Honestly a lot of the weakest aspects to Danny Phantom are the parts where they're blatantly stealing from the first couple years of Spider-Man for Danny's civilian life

Me and some online friends like to discuss ideas regarding what we'd do if we were hypothetically in charge of a theoretical reboot for various shows(because that sort of fanfic discussion is a good way to kill time) and when we've discussed this for Danny Phantom specifically we pretty much all agreed that changing up those aspects were one of the most important changes needed(as well as completely overhauling Danny's friends)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think Danny's teen life is a great aspect of the show, the only issue is that Danny's friends are also the worst part of the show.

I looked a bit into that graphic novel, it's with an indie label instead of Viacom's usual partners, and doesn't seem to involve any staff from the show, just an animator that seems well-regarded in the industry since so many of the ones I follow on twitter follow them, too. That's probably the best thing you could ask for a Danny Phantom follow up lol. It takes place shortly after the finale, and it's a time travel story involving Dark Danny, so very much what any fan would want.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like most teen superheroes end up cribbing from Spiderman since he has so much of what you'd want from the teen experience. The thing Danny Phantom copies most closely is Flash Thompson, and just calling their equivalent Dash Baxter.

But then there are some differences. The most common difference most other series do is throwing in some sidekick friends instead of making the protagonist an outsider loner like classic Peter Parker. Having a goofball family also makes some differences. I think the show successfully escapes the orbit of Spiderman at some point, although it doesn't really go very far into becoming its own thing. The more elaborate ghost zone stories meant less interpersonal drama in the human world, and while the show ended up having an arc, it wasn't very planned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did DP ever do a full origin story or was it mostly just confined to the theme song?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For the most part I think the show just started en medias res, which more superhero stories should be willing to do (and they used to be more willing weirdly), but there was an episode where they went back in time to look at his origin and took the opportunity to put a D logo on his costume.

I wish they stuck with the public at large calling him inviso-bill, that was a good joke.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Spectacular Spider-Man also started in media res and didn't try an origin story until they folded it in as a flashback during the Black Suit arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually there’s a couple shows that didn’t do an origin story until later on now that I think about it (Miraculous Ladybug and Code Lyoko spring to mind).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 2, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Larryb posted:

Actually there’s a couple shows that didn’t do an origin story until later on now that I think about it (Miraculous Ladybug and Code Lyoko spring to mind)

Teen Titans also waited until the last episode before the finale arc to do the origin story. It's all because Batman The Animated Series basically bucked an origin story opener that many superhero stories followed suit. It actually ends up being great for pacing and executives love it since it means syndication and reruns are easier.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also while not a superhero show, Amphibia’s backstory was kind of dolled out in pieces throughout the series via flashbacks and two theme song takeover videos (speaking of, was that the only show to ever use one of those to actually fill in canon material?)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Teen Titans also waited until the last episode before the finale arc to do the origin story. It's all because Batman The Animated Series basically bucked an origin story opener that many superhero stories followed suit. It actually ends up being great for pacing and executives love it since it means syndication and reruns are easier.

BTAS had the advantage of coming at the height of Bat-popularity after the first Keaton movie came out and so they could basically use that to tell his origin.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 2, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wish they stuck with the public at large calling him inviso-bill, that was a good joke.

They should have followed that up with an actual Inviso-Bill showing up at some point.

And yeah, the parents are one of the stronger parts of the show, especially that they tie into a major villain and how Danny's situation isn't unique. I don't think it's alone in 'kid gains superpowers from playing in parents' mad science lab' but it does, arguably better than Spider-man itself, give a good reason why a superhero is controversial at best and treated with suspicion, if not outright hostility- he's basically a classic horror monster fighting other monsters. Which also isn't too unique, but it's still a fun idea.

Danny Phantom really is a show that could benefit from a reboot with modern structure and sensibilities, and some retooling of the characters and dynamics.

Covok posted:

It's also not bad storytelling-wise since you can wait until you've gotten more of a handle on the characters and world before you set the origin story in stone, otherwise a lot of shows have pilot-origin episodes that come off weird in retrospect for what they establish vs what most of the show actually ends up being.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It also just used to be common for these things to be done with the expectation that most people won't be able or even willing to go through the effort to consume everything from the start. Maybe you'll occasionally reference the origin throughout the series, but if you expect people to be able to pick up and start with just about any issue or any episode, it hardly matters to craft an elaborate beginning that sets out all the details at the beginning.

And it goes back pretty far, where it seems more like the norm to go without an origin. The 1967 Spiderman show didn't have an origin episode. The 1966 Marvel Super Heroes cartoon is split between giving origins and not (Hulk and Captain America get them, Thor and Iron Man don't). The 1940s Superman theatrical cartoons had one episode with a 1 minute prologue about Krypton, but were otherwise unconcerned with Superman's origin; nothing framed itself as "his first adventure". Even the comics often weren't terribly bothered about setting things up. Batman's origin was written months after the character debuted.

Feeling the need to start with a detailed origin instead of just something quick to set up the premise is a trap. An origin can be a great story on its own, but it's not the only kind of story you can start with. On the far end of the spectrum, I think every incarnation of the X-Men starts with the same kind of setup of "this superhero team already existed beforehand and you're just learning about them now", usually with a new member being added to the team to provide for introductions to help out the audience. That meant you could give handy jumping on points later down the line as well as leaving the past of each individual character as a blank slate that could be invented and elaborated at any point you wanted.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Danny Phantom really is a show that could benefit from a reboot with modern structure and sensibilities, and some retooling of the characters and dynamics.

no. 1 thing they should not do if they reboot it is use the fairly oddparents as a base.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

no. 1 thing they should not do if they reboot it is use the fairly oddparents as a base.

Yeah I've long said the biggest problem with DP is that they used Hartman's FOP style. Dude should've changed up the look or just taken more of a creative backseat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new Superman series has a release date:

https://twitter.com/DCOfficial/status/1665735557874417666?cxt=HHwWhIC8jcPq8J0uAAAA

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Still confused on midnight AS superman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Going by the title at least I assume Lois is the real star of the show this time and we’ll mostly be seeing Superman from her perspective (or at least she and Clark share the limelight). Has any concrete information in regards to the premise come out yet?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Twibbit posted:

Still confused on midnight AS superman.

It's internal politics bullshit since Zaslav took over. Adult Swim saved the show from being consigned to the rubbish tip of history.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9uUv6AdoY

Also a longer trailer

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks good honestly and the voice cast is great so far (especially considering in Lois' case it's her first VA role), I like that Clark has kind of an awkward charm to him even in Superman mode. Definitely checking this one out

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/cinelinx/status/1665818110597660681

Mutant Mayhem will continue into an animated show.