Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Is this going to decrease or cut off the flow into the Crimean Canal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Suspect A posted:

Crimea is hosed. The only way any fresh water is getting there now is by ship.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Suspect A posted:

Cut. Crimea is hosed.

This makes no strategic sense for Russia to do this, gotta be a giant gently caress You / taict admission they wont hold Kherson

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Suspect A posted:

well, the water that came from it is why russia stole crimea in 2014, so...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Suspect A posted:

According to some reports it has temporarily reversed the flow as the reservoir is now below the canal entrance.

Note that the canal was mostly for irrigation purposes; Crimea supplies most of its own drinking water and if the settlers are fleeing then no one's likely to go thirsty. Russia isn't shooting Crimea in the foot, but it is a tacit admission that they weren't planning on holding the canal.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Well there goes one of Russia's primary goals it's still kept from the beginning of the war gone.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1665929603251068928
Oh, the damage you caused by blowing the dam with a few tons of high explosive? :rolleye:

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
There was fighting in the area for months. It could've been damaged and unable to be repaired. It could've been sabotaged months ago. It's not in Ukraine's or Russia's interest to blow the dam outright.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

This will lower the salinity of the Black Sea and sink all the ships there.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Suspect A posted:

There was fighting in the area for months. It could've been damaged and unable to be repaired. It could've been sabotaged months ago. It's not in Ukraine's or Russia's interest to blow the dam outright.

https://files.catbox.moe/uitsom.mp4

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Could've been a seagull

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Yep, that's blown. That angle is also facing the Russian side.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

This is old footage from 2022, it's not from today. That was during Russia's retreat when they blew the road covering their retreat from Kherson

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

This is old footage from 2022, it's not from today. That was during Russia's retreat when they blew the road covering their retreat from Kherson

I see, this was being passed around as being from today.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Suspect A posted:

Russia has not been bothering to release water in response to spring inflows. The reservoir was at record high levels and there were reports that it was overspilling the dam structure, which would have threatened a potential collapse all by itself without a specific act of destruction.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
https://twitter.com/evanhill/status...e55480fecfe%2F0

Looks like something happened

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
it is now daylight over the dam:

https://twitter.com/faytuks/status/1665936468643131392?s=46

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just wait till grayzone is posting:

RIGHT AFTER THE SMOKING BoOT FOUND, UKRAINE HBLOWS UP DAM

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/davidhelms570/status/1665923126293569536?s=20

There's a theory going around that the dam was neglected until it failed. Not maintained, different amounts of water would get released upstream but sluice gates at the downstream dam weren't changed for months. That brings up the question: was this the desired effect or did the planners just assume the dam would be fine?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 6, 2023

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Facetime party snoozer meets that episode of community

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, considering how things currently work in Russia, odds are some contractor/officer took the cash to maintain the dam and simply didn't do much or at all. On the bright side- hey, new dachas!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The dacha is downstream

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

All I know about submarines is that they are long and hard and full of sperm.

Antigravitas posted:

You shouldn't dive anywhere near the Danish isles

The Danish isles has tons of areas where the water is so shallow you can walk on it during low tide.

Well, one thing it would do is make the river uncrossable, or at least very hard to cross by boat even if it doesn't flood much. That sounds like something the Russians would want to happen.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

the holy poopacy posted:

According to some reports it has temporarily reversed the flow as the reservoir is now below the canal entrance.

Note that the canal was mostly for irrigation purposes; Crimea supplies most of its own drinking water and if the settlers are fleeing then no one's likely to go thirsty. Russia isn't shooting Crimea in the foot, but it is a tacit admission that they weren't planning on holding the canal.

Within the first 2 or 3 days of the invasion, russian forces destroyed the plug dam Ukraine had constructed to block off the canal, allowing water to flow. It was part of the same high-energy pre-planned and largely successful series of early deep incursions that also led to the takeover of the ZNPP so quickly. These seemed like super high priority targets for the russians.

Hoping the burst dam waters flush away much of the left-bank invader positions.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 6, 2023

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, considering how things currently work in Russia, odds are some contractor/officer took the cash to maintain the dam and simply didn't do much or at all. On the bright side- hey, new dachas!

It just happened to completely fail the same night that the Ukrainian counter-offensive started? World’s biggest coincidence.

Does anyone have any idea how fast the floodwaters would rise? Will civilians have enough time to evacuate?

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
It's sort of something in my heart of hearts, I expected to happen. I really hoped it would not.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oldsmobile posted:

All I know about submarines is that they are long and hard and full of sperm.

The Danish isles has tons of areas where the water is so shallow you can walk on it during low tide.

Well, one thing it would do is make the river uncrossable, or at least very hard to cross by boat even if it doesn't flood much. That sounds like something the Russians would want to happen.

The northern bank and the land behind it in general is higher ground than the southern bank, so ultimately it makes the Russians lose ground and force them to back away. It also makes the roads on the Russian side even worse, and if it cuts the road P57 it leaves the western part of the peninsula without a major road access.

So there is a good chance that Russia just flooded at least a couple of brigades worth of its own equipment here.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 6, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://ria.ru/20230606/ges-1876350741.html Initial response from the Russian side.

RIA, autotranslated posted:

"This is nonsense! Everything is fine, everything is fine everywhere, I just got in touch by radio. Everything is fine everywhere in the city, everything is quiet and calm," Leontiev said.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

beer_war posted:

https://ria.ru/20230606/ges-1876350741.html Initial response from the Russian side.

why would he get in touch by radio? is he one of those "evacuated" collaborators and he says this from safety in Moscow?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1665998924199469062

some map of an area that will be likely flooded

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 6, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/OSINTMISCIF/status/1665971331379130368
Sucks to be you, I guess. There's no replacing the equipment, supplies, and time that went into building these lines.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Dwesa posted:

why would he get in touch by radio? is he one of those "evacuated" collaborators and he says this from safety in Moscow?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1665998924199469062

Not the showing of Swan Lake on Russian TV I was hoping for.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Now Ukraine launches the biggest amphibious assault over the flood waters since WW2. :kheldragar:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority STUK is saying that since the reactors at Zaporižžja have been shut down, the heat produced by the fuel itself isn't high enough to pose a real problem. Rosatom apparently agrees, no China Syndrome incoming!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

StoryTime posted:

The Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority STUK is saying that since the reactors at Zaporižžja have been shut down, the heat produced by the fuel itself isn't high enough to pose a real problem. Rosatom apparently agrees, no China Syndrome incoming!

I suspect it'll never be able to start up again though. May not even be decomissionable, depending on how spicy the inside of the reactor dome gets.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

The dacha is downstream

Looks like we found our new thread name.

I wonder if this really was just simple incompetency or a planned demolition?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 6, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Porque no los dos?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Samovar posted:

Porque no los dos?

...Fair point.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Looks like we found our new thread name.

I notice I now tend to just blame everything anomalous on Russian incompetence until there's evidence to prove otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hadn't russia threatened to blow up the dam before and I thought it was reported as rigged with explosives?

edit - I could be mixing it up with any number of civilian infrastructure russia has threatened to destroy to be fair

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 6, 2023