Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Big ears seem to generally be a feature cartoonists enjoy using as to not appear racist. Obama cartoons also focused on ears. But these artists also do not shy away from a big nose.

That first one has a pretty impressive penis nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's time for a deep dive into Branco's

what? well, let's consider a recent cartoon of his.

Here we see Branco has taken three things:

- it's valentine's day
- "selling your soul to the devil" is a thing
- Biden is a bad president

and combined them into "Biden has gifted the soul of america to the devil on valentine's day". A perfectly crafted, wholesome joke that the whole family can enjoy.

"But wait", you're thinking, "what's all this poo poo"?

oh that? That poo poo follows Biden around everywhere. That random detritus has nothing to do with any of the jokes but it comes back whenever Biden is depicted, time and time again.

Let's take a closer look at the items in question.

The Empty Thought Bubble

The Empty Thought Bubble first appeared on 20th April 2021:

It immediately established itself as a cornerstone of Branco's Biden comics, appearing in every single subsequent comic (99 of them) until March 2022, when Branco shamefully forgot it:

But it was back the next day, and those misses remain rare. Sometimes Branco has the reasonable excuse of Biden's head - without which the Empty Thought Bubble cannot originate - not actually being in the picture:

Although it sometimes does peek in from off-panel:

and so Branco has managed an Empty Thought Bubble hit rate of

across 195 comics to date.

But what does it mean? It could refer to Biden's lack of ideas, inability to think for himself, or just general thoughtlessness. The comic in which it first appeared might suggest the latter: lack of thought for future generations. But there is some evidence for it being Biden's inability to think for himself, and that evidence comes in the form of

The Teleprompter

The Teleprompter made its debut in the very same comic as the Empty Thought Bubble, and despite carrying the same message - 'can't think for himself', 'has to be fed his lines' - it very much lacks the Bubble's staying power. For several months, it was rather hit-or-miss whether the Teleprompter would appear, although Branco did make a special effort on 9 August 2021, ensuring that it was present in the comic even if it was invisible to the naked eye:

But then, on 13 September 2021, a breakthrough:

The Teleprompter had become the Obamaprompter. It had long been known that Biden was being fed all his lines, but by who? Now Branco's comics were finally reflecting the long-standing trope in batshit conservative circles that Biden is just a puppet of Obama, who continues to rule America from behind a curtain.

Like, literally. Here we see Obama being a literal puppeteer hand operating Biden from behind a literal curtain:

And here we see him as part of an utterly deranged puppetry-all-the-way-down sequence:

If Obama himself isn't present, then the Obamaprompter stands in, and boy does it make an effort. If there's nowhere for it to actually stand, then it also comes in head-band version:

or as a waist-attachment for a Biden-on-the-go:

or a zimmerframe attachment:

or wing-mirror attachment for a Biden road trip:

(a big improvement over when he just stuck a full size one in the back)

And on the rare occasions where an Obamaprompter just can't appear for whatever reason, the Obama's sinister influence will nevertheless find a way into the cartoon, in the form of a cufflink, a button, or some other accessory:

But despite this, the prompter doesn't have the dedication of the Bubble. Be it Obama-flavoured or in its original vanilla, the Prompter manages a hit rate of just

Sippy cup

I don't know what story this originally came from but I do recall it was an obsession of Sean Hannity at one point, insisting on his national television show that Biden has a sippy cup from which he drinks his bedtime milk before going to bed at 7pm. It's incisive commentary. Anyway, Branco latched onto this and the Sippy Cup has been a frequent addition in Branco cartoons ever since.

It first appeared on 3rd September 2021:

With a couple more appearances, dozens of comics later, in November. But it was only on 11 December 2021 that it finally stuck, and it was clearly on that date that Branco decided it was to be a mainstay. It also took a consistent colour scheme (pink and green) that would remain unchanged.

Sometimes a cartoon requires Biden's hands to be busy, in which case the Sippy Cup, rather than being held, is in his pocket, or just sitting on a nearby object or the floor, as in the comic above. But sometimes it's sitting in a very special Obamaprompter cup-holder:

This ensures it can be included as often as possible and since that 11 December 2021 has achieved a hit rate of:

Blood on his Hands

Ever since the disastrous military withdrawal from Afghanistan, Biden has had Blood on his Hands:

The Blood on his Hands is so persistent that it even appears when Biden doesn't have any hands, for instance in this cartoon where he is a vulture. It's tricky to see but if you look close enough, Branco put some dark red colouring to the Biden vulture's black wings:

But sometimes a lack of hands really does work in Biden's favour, as in this cartoon where the Blood on his Hands is mercifully absent:

Branco would later discover the technology of Bloody Hand Prints on Sippy Cup, so Biden wouldn't get away with this again. Hit rate:

Poopy poo fly

Branco has used the fly to indicate the presence of bullshit for a long rear end time, usally near a bag of trash (labelled something like "democrat policies" and what-have-you)

But then this happened on 3 November 2021:

You can actually see from the subtle re-colouring of the background that Biden has done a fart, or shat himself. Or maybe it's just the "stink of corruption" given the 10% "big guy" money bag.

The fly reappeared a few times whenever something smelly was happening. But it wasn't until 18 March 2022 that it appeared without any apparent fecal incident, so I consider that date to be its induction into the pantheon of paraphernalia. It was a bit hit-and-miss for a few months, but in June of that year was rarely excluded. Sometimes there'd be two or even three flies, perhaps to make up for previous misses. Branco's managed a fly hit rate of

Other objects of note

Biden paraphernalia comes and, often, goes. Some items have a bit more staying power but and re-appear from time to time, but Branco doesn't bother forcing them into every comic.

This includes the 10% money bag which debuted in the above comic 3 November 2021 and has something to do with Hunter Biden. It has appeared 22 times since then.

Classified documents appeared on 13 January 2023 and make the occasional reappearance, 8 times so far.

And the Chinese spy balloon appeared on 8 February 2023. It has been seen 4 times, but that's out of about 25 cartoons (most of which include sky), so definitely not a keeper for the pantheon.

Branco has also experimented with ice cream, birdshit on Biden's shoulder, red star cufflinks, and banana republic presidential seals, but all have been abandoned after a couple of goes.

Only 3 comics have included as many as eight objects, one of which is the valentine's cartoon opening this post, and these two:

I look forward to doing this post again in 4 years when Biden has accumulated a second term's worth of crap.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

lobsterminator posted:

Big ears seem to generally be a feature cartoonists enjoy using as to not appear racist. Obama cartoons also focused on ears. But these artists also do not shy away from a big nose.

That first one has a pretty impressive penis nose.

I hope you won't find any caricatures of King Charles... :ohdear:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

God drat are they unable to contain their glee at being able to be openly homophobic again.

This is the first one of these that didn't accidentally make it look like Gerald has a magical gay shield that shoots rainbows everywhere

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Pants Donkey posted:

God drat are they unable to contain their glee at being able to be openly homophobic again.

I mean, at least now they're saying what they're actually thinking. After years of saying "oh man I LOVE Chik-Fil-A" and winking repeatedly, actually coming out and saying "yeah gay people are perverts after our kids" is at least presenting an argument that can be responded to.

Like, don't get me wrong, seeing this sort of stuff still sucks rear end, but I'd wager that dog whistle-less homophobia is still off-putting to the average centrist and it isn't convincing anyone who hasn't already completely bought in to the reactionary narrative.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Microplastics posted:

I look forward to doing this post again in 4 years when Biden has accumulated a second term's worth of crap.

Do you really?

Anyway, what should I report your post for? Self-harm?

I get half of my information about the goings-on in American politics from this thread and it certainly paints the picture of an absolutely dire media landscape. Branco is incredibly bad, but there's apparently no shortage of demented cartoonists and deranged publications…

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

What is this a parody of?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Kellies nomination: Worst Gaslighting and Most Opposite of Reality, I don't know which category fits better so why not both.

*Free college for illegal immigrants does not exist.

*Free healthcare for illegal immigrants does not exist, unless you count the "emergency rooms are required to treat anyone who enters first and ask about how they'll pay later" laws that apply to everyone regardless of immigration status, or other stopgap healthcare measures given to detained illegal immigrants who are sick or injured.

(And HOLY poo poo whining about the microscopic amount of taxpayer dollars spent to save the lives of illegal immigrants in need of health care is just evil! Is the preferred outcome to let them get sicker or die? What the actual gently caress? I shouldn't be surprised, it's "spending taxpayer money to feed schoolchildren is bad" Branco, but WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress?)

*If taxpayer-funded surgery for trans inmates exists at all, it happens so rarely that it is an insignificantly tiny amount of the government budget.

The real drivers of tax rates in America? I'm not going to list all the causes, but Social Security forms an enormous part of the budget, and that's being pushed up by an aging population. You know, the ongoing demographic issue that would quickly escalate into a full-blown crisis if not for all the young immigrants who are willing to come to America!

Another cause is corporate tax loopholes and tax havens, enabling huge companies like Amazon to legally pay little or nothing of their fair share of taxes, so everyone else has to pay more.

There's also the expensive military-industrial complex, but at least the US war in Afghanistan is over now. Anyone who is unhappy about US-funded military support for Ukraine should blame Putin for invading. I'm not sure what Branco's position on the Ukraine war is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Victar posted:

(And HOLY poo poo whining about the microscopic amount of taxpayer dollars spent to save the lives of illegal immigrants in need of health care is just evil! Is the preferred outcome to let them get sicker or die? What the actual gently caress? I shouldn't be surprised, it's "spending taxpayer money to feed schoolchildren is bad" Branco, but WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress?)
The pro life party.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Microplastics posted:

This is a good post that I hate, through no fault od yours.

As an aside and potentially addendum, Branco has been frequenty drawing Biden with an especially elongated nose recently. I don't know if that counts as paraphernalia, though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Branco definitely should copycat Dan Piraro's Bizarro comic's "game" where next to the author's name is a number telling the reader how many repeating gag objects are hidden in this picture. Like so:

In this one there are 8 Bizarro objects some of which are more obvious than others, can you find them all?

pie
shoe
alien
dynamite
"O2" text
"K2" text
eye ball
fish tail

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

feels like at the rate we're going, we're one, maybe two months away from politoons about how catholics who marry outside their faith are pedophile groomers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or we could just replace Branco with the hidden object comic.

The mildly amusing dogs are far better than "woke a doodle doo Biden pooped his pants and his son has a laptop"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Victar posted:

The real drivers of tax rates in America? I'm not going to list all the causes, but Social Security forms an enormous part of the budget, and that's being pushed up by an aging population. You know, the ongoing demographic issue that would quickly escalate into a full-blown crisis if not for all the young immigrants who are willing to come to America!

Another cause is corporate tax loopholes and tax havens, enabling huge companies like Amazon to legally pay little or nothing of their fair share of taxes, so everyone else has to pay more.

There's also the expensive military-industrial complex, but at least the US war in Afghanistan is over now. Anyone who is unhappy about US-funded military support for Ukraine should blame Putin for invading. I'm not sure what Branco's position on the Ukraine war is.
Presumably, these are state tax rates since that guy's a governor, so SS and military would not really apply (unless you count police for military (and you probably should)).

I would guess education, health care, and infrastructure are the biggest budget items in your average state budget.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Good post.

China Daily

Safety concerns still unaddressed by Zheng Huawei

Le Monde

by Dilem from Algeria
Biden doesn't want attacks on Russian territory

Charlie Hebdo

School bullying items needed for Back-to-school
To get

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Microplastics posted:

(Special) Kellies Nomination: Sacrificing one's sanity in service of this thread.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of sacrificing one's sanity... in yesterday's Sinfest Sunday, I accused Tats of making up the Moloch play area thing at Target. Turns out, it's even dumber than that: right-wing nutjobs have been falling for AI-generated images of 'Satanic' apparel and decorations at Target.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That goat mannequin is rad as gently caress though, if some clothing store doesn't have that then they should.

Less creepy and uncanny valley than normal mannequins too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skeleton Mom posted:

feels like at the rate we're going, we're one, maybe two months away from politoons about how catholics who marry outside their faith are pedophile groomers

Pretty sure Ishida is in the lead on that one, I reckon he'll be the first to cross that finish line.

Pants Donkey posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBTQ+)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can the bigotry still be least concealed if it’s proudly stated?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Business groups mount campaign against 'same job, same pay' workplace reforms (ABC).

Lethbridge:

Albanese with Chris Bowen, energy and climate change minister.

Spooner:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I mean, at least now they're saying what they're actually thinking. After years of saying "oh man I LOVE Chik-Fil-A" and winking repeatedly, actually coming out and saying "yeah gay people are perverts after our kids" is at least presenting an argument that can be responded to.

Like, don't get me wrong, seeing this sort of stuff still sucks rear end, but I'd wager that dog whistle-less homophobia is still off-putting to the average centrist and it isn't convincing anyone who hasn't already completely bought in to the reactionary narrative.
That would be the case if there were a defenseless white child cowering behind the shield, but nope, they didn't even bother with that. It's just Meathead Sam on his own. It's literally just "gays bad" in the absolute.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Pride cannot be stopped by boycotts. It can only be temporarily deflected.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Fister Roboto posted:

Pride cannot be stopped by boycotts. It can only be temporarily deflected.

Only a matter of time before he drowns in it :getin:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Some big buff dude cowardly hiding behind a boycott against a stream of pride

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Guavanaut posted:

That goat mannequin is rad as gently caress though, if some clothing store doesn't have that then they should.

Less creepy and uncanny valley than normal mannequins too.
TAILORED SATAN

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Submit to mall ox.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

People won't want to be gay anymore if there's no profit incentive

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I question the term "artist".

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Tea Party Crasher posted:

People won't want to be gay anymore if there's no profit incentive
I hope all the GBS goons working at the dick-sucking factory make it through the boycotts

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Pedro X. Molina

Mike Peters

Bill Bramhall

Drew Sheneman

Mike Thompson

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
I don't want to bring personal poo poo into this thread, but...

My one cousin revealed in a group text that she was trans (it was right when Biden was elected to be the winner of the 2020 election, which I believe to this day was not a coincidence). I attended her wedding and was so happy for her. But over the past couple of years, I have feared for her and her wife's safety.

We live in a tolerant state, but I can't imagine if she lived in a state like Florida or Texas. She and her wife would possibly be lynched by now.

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 6, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think a lot of us who aren't trans still have trans family and friends (my eldest child, for instance). It's one of the reasons these cartoons are so upsetting, because they're a barometer of where the Right is at, and it's a terrible place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can the bigotry still be least concealed if it’s proudly stated?

Concealment can be zero or negative I think. The category isn't "least positive integer of bigotry concealment"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Edit: wrong thread

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why? Did you have an enjoyable cartoon?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

JamesBont posted:

I don't want to bring personal poo poo into this thread, but...

My one cousin revealed in a group text that she was trans (it was right when Biden was elected to be the winner of the 2020 election, which I believe to this day was not a coincidence). I attended her wedding and was so happy for her. But over the past couple of years, I have feared for her and her wife's safety.

We live in a tolerant state, but I can't imagine if she lived in a state like Florida or Texas. She and her wife would possibly be lynched by now.

i have 3 friends who are each separately trying to flee florida right now. it's terrifying, not all of them know where they're going to go or how soon it's going to be possible to leave, or how much worse it will get by then, or if they'll be able to secure access to medication that long. at this point i hope desantis has pissed off disney enough that retaliation is on the table, since while queer and trans folks do not have the resources to reasonably fight back against any of this, the monopoly mouse sure does

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I question the term "artist".

Have you seen the rest of this thread, the bar is pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The trans panic poo poo was always a wedge to go after queer people as a whole again and LGBTQ+ were shouting it from the roof tops but lovely Libs were more concerned with :decorum: so you had them putting out “Maybe trans people shouldn’t be in sports to make the right happy!” pieces and when LGBTQ+ people were calling what the right has been doing, moving towards an attempted cleanse of Trans people while setting up to go after other queer people by framing them all as child groomers, pogroms was a step too far and it’s just a disagreement over politics and now here we are where Trans people have to flee states for their lives and psychos are going around attacking Pride displays