Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t actually found a great fairy that’ll open up yet, but I kind of have the gnawing suspicion that the relative sparsity of many, many kinds of materials relative to BOTW (which, generally I’m cool with, you should have to put some slight degree of effort/thought into making +20 heart foods to go along with your attack+++ banana sundae) is going to be a pain in my rear end when it comes to crafting.

Also something kinda annoying: I get that I’m making the game harder by not doing the first Rito Temple and just exploring instead, but that should, you know, be my idiotic choice to make and not something that hates me from upgrading my Purah Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You should definitely visit the stables near any fairy fountain you've found.

Doing the Rito quest line won't change things that much, have fun exploring as much as you want.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The equipment upgrades for TotK require too much stuff for no real reason, especially considering how vast the world is and how only certain ranks of enemies drop certain parts. Finishing off the soldier set requires fifteen lynal guts, which mean killing fifteen white or silver lynels. That's too many!

I sure am glad that so far I managed to dodge updating the game so I'm still on the version where you can easily dupe a ton of items.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shai-Hulud posted:

I sure am glad that so far I managed to dodge updating the game so I'm still on the version where you can easily dupe a ton of items.

Yeah I have no problem cheating not only the game but also myself. It's a single player game Nintendo

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah i hadn't updated because i heard the grind was bad, i got about 5 lynel guts before I thought "you know what, dupe time." Kind of a bummer because the fights are hard but fun and it would be satisfying to get a reasonable reward from them, but doing them that much is a real slog.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I guess the whistle+sprint durability ran out because that's also gone in Tears of the Kingdom

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

I guess the whistle+sprint durability ran out because that's also gone in Tears of the Kingdom

That was one of the first things I tried

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Finally got around to playing DBZ: Kakarot. It's a pretty fun, nostalgic romp, and it really reminds me of the old GBA Legacy of Goku games, just upscaled to a console. It sticks to classic DBZ, ending just after Buu's defeat before either the lead-in to GT or the new Battle of Gods-Super continuity.

I quit watching Dragonball after Super started because my favorite character is Gohan, and Gohan has been absolutely poo poo on constantly in the new movies and series for the crime of being stronger than Goku at the end of DBZ.

Gohan's only line as an NPC in the post-game free-roam is "YEP, I'M NO MATCH FOR MY DAD".

gently caress offffffff

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As a long-time Gohan fan myself, you just gotta accept it's always going to be Goku.

He does handle himself well in the Tournament of Power stuff in Super, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Len posted:

That left mannequin clearly has boobs

Clearly?

I think the main indicator the one on the left is a woman is she's not allowed keys or a gun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lobok posted:

As a long-time Gohan fan myself, you just gotta accept it's always going to be Goku.

He does handle himself well in the Tournament of Power stuff in Super, though.

Y'know, I could accept it easier back when it was "it's been 15-20 years and also Goku's been training with Buu's reincarnation" or even Battle of Gods going "Beerus is just that far above everybody and also magic ritual apotheosis", but the tack they've gone with in the Super era where Goku just immediately became the strongest when Kid Buu died somehow (and also Vegeta is somehow second-strongest even though he got wrecked by Fat Buu) is just frustrating in how blatant it is.

I have heard good things about the Tournament of Power and the Super Hero movie, but man, when they even ripped Super Saiyan away and had Frieza kill him in the Frieza Returns Yet Again movie, it soured me on the whole revival of the series.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:crossarms:

I think you may need to get your eyes tested

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Super hero has the thing happen that Latin gohan fans were joking about for years

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

Clearly?

I think the main indicator the one on the left is a woman is she's not allowed keys or a gun.

Or the boobs. That's a pretty big indicator imo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've never heard of a video game female not having sub-DDs but I guess

I seriously just thought those were wrinkles, though. I was thinking maybe one was "the young rookie with no keys and no gun, not buttoning up his shirt because he's a young rookie" and the other was "the experienced partner," but they're just man-woman.

Makes enough sense since (I assume) you're just playing a vapid one-dimensional murder machine and probably will never ever see yourself again after choosing which mannequin you are

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

I seriously just thought those were wrinkles, though. I was thinking maybe one was "the young rookie with no keys and no gun, not buttoning up his shirt because he's a young rookie" and the other was "the experienced partner," but they're just man-woman.

Makes enough sense since (I assume) you're just playing a vapid one-dimensional murder machine and probably will never ever see yourself again after choosing which mannequin you are

:ok:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If the obvious breasts didn’t tip you off the vagina bones were another clue

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent the far cry games 1st person anyway, and other than protag grunts and barks and the barest of dialog stuff you dont have any cues one gender or sex?

like this is modern AFGNCAAP.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

credburn posted:

You can also equip outfits you will never see because it's 1st person.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PhazonLink posted:

arent the far cry games 1st person anyway, and other than protag grunts and barks and the barest of dialog stuff you dont have any cues one gender or sex?

like this is modern AFGNCAAP.

Well, the ending being you trapped in a bunker with the villain takes on some much more unpleasant implications if you're playing a female.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

kazil posted:

You should definitely visit the stables near any fairy fountain you've found.

Doing the Rito quest line won't change things that much, have fun exploring as much as you want.

I believe doing at least one of the dungeons opens up more quests

Len posted:

What gets me is that people say "you've just gotta fuse" but a 50 power weapon still feels like hitting them with wiffle bats repeatedly

Yeah, a silver bokoblin has 1200 health

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

1stGear posted:

Well, the ending being you trapped in a bunker with the villain takes on some much more unpleasant implications if you're playing a female.

And in the sequel the Deputy is his brainwashed servant.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently stated Hollow Knight again and while I'm generally having a good time, I can't really wrap my head around how bad the combat is.

As a Metroidvania it's pretty fun; the only thing I'd mark against it is that abilities are either for exploration or combat but never quite for both. But toward the mid/end game and especially in the DLCs the combat, and especially the bosses, take center stage and I'm not having fun anymore.

It seems like the only way to get better at fighting anything is to die a million times and learn its pattern. There are way too many attacks that are literally unavoidable if you're not doing the one thing that you need to do to avoid it and it turns every fight into a lightning round of Simon Says.

You know how in some games' speedrun the runner goes "Now we slash twice and the boss is going to attack with a jump. We roll left and we wait until he turns around halfway and slash once then jump. Now he's going to swipe 3 times...", well to me every fight in Hollow Knight feels like that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

credburn posted:

a video game female

:regd09:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The cosmetic stuff isn't pointless because FC5 has co-op.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

The cosmetic stuff isn't pointless because FC5 has co-op.

Okay sure but like am I supposed to care that the dog sees me in a space suit or whatever?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

credburn posted:

Okay sure but like am I supposed to care that the dog sees me in a space suit or whatever?

No, it's so that when you play co-op, you can show off your sweet threadsdumb outfit. Playing dress-up with your dollycharacter is a very important part of shoot-man games now.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Late-game Tears of the Kingdom thing

There's a fun sequence where you have to acquire and transport body parts to construct a big mecha, your final companion character. It feels really cool when they tell you to attach some weapons on them and climb aboard to test their battle abilities along your way to the final dungeon. Really neat.

Except somehow it just doesn't seem very fun in practice. I got to the first camp of lower-tier enemy types, and wading in with the robot, I had to look closely at the enemies' health bars to even see them going down as I attacked them. It feels way faster to just jump off and have Link attack them. And the robot's so slow, I don't think you could even leave a fight with it because the enemies can just amble along and keep up. I just gave up and hopped off to run to the dungeon faster on foot. Maybe it gets better eventually, but that doesn't seem very fun for the sequence that should be convincing you how fun and powerful your new friend is.

Best use for it is as an auto bullet time generator by climbing and jumping off it. Then add dual frost emitters for random double damage chances. Bows are so broken that just jumping off it still makes it more valuable than most of the others aside from Wind.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Playing dressup with your dolls is extremely important and I am glad that games have recognized that.

Except DBZ Kakarot, which doesn't have any costume selection despite being the first game to have Vegeta's pink shirt playable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Perfect Potato posted:

Best use for it is as an auto bullet time generator by climbing and jumping off it. Then add dual frost emitters for random double damage chances. Bows are so broken that just jumping off it still makes it more valuable than most of the others aside from Wind.

That's pretty funny, a mobile bullet time platform is a good use case. I'll try to remember to give it a shot next time I fight something big (I literally forgot they existed the whole time I've played since posting that yesterday :v:)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Byzantine posted:

Playing dressup with your dolls is extremely important and I am glad that games have recognized that.

Except DBZ Kakarot, which doesn't have any costume selection despite being the first game to have Vegeta's pink shirt playable.

Cyberpunk 2077 lets you commit so many fashion crimes, and the last big update added cosmetic outfits so you can wear whatever gives you the best bonuses and still dress like a colorblind hobo (note: these may not be mutually exclusive).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Xenogears Chronicles 2 taking away the goofy rear end armor segments and replacing it with Generic Anime Stuff was the final straw

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I played FC 5 right up to just before the final big fight and just stopped.
So in my version of that world, the cult is reduced to one tiny enclave, and the normal people are busily rebuilding their communities. I'm making my own happy ending dammit.

:colbert:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My first complaint about TOTK: breaking through a bunch of thick rock walls is not as fun or engaging as the developers seem to think. Having Yonobo's spirit only makes it less resource intensive, not any faster.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

My first complaint about TOTK: breaking through a bunch of thick rock walls is not as fun or engaging as the developers seem to think. Having Yonobo's spirit only makes it less resource intensive, not any faster.

I found all of these swords and rocks digging through a single hallway last night.

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1665841371184533505?t=ZgSxZdtwPpwLcniglKwREA&s=19

Why? Why not just make it short if you're going to fill the hall with the tools to destroy it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Byzantine posted:

You can't beat up Frieza while rocking the driving lesson outfit? Dang

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Len posted:

I found all of these swords and rocks digging through a single hallway last night.

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1665841371184533505?t=ZgSxZdtwPpwLcniglKwREA&s=19

Why? Why not just make it short if you're going to fill the hall with the tools to destroy it?

THANK YOU

I wish open world games had the confidence to just say "engineer a solution from what you're already carrying or come back later" there's a difference between convenience and a complete lack of friction.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I usually use a canon on a stick I have saved with the quickbuild power. Doesn't take that much special ore to build without having the specific parts on hand and I have plenty of battery to power it.

Mostly feels like all the crappy swords and rocks are just there in case you don't have a better option. Not defending the stupidly thick rock walls, but they don't bother me much.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sometimes i like to smash stuff in a game

if mining machines that weren't cannon-on-a-stick were more viable it'd definitely be better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Len posted:

Yeah it's weird. Maybe a late stage band-aid added in when testers would get stuck without the right tools and just abandon these places?