Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

How much of the lead-crime link is actually just poor non-white people (the ones with by far the highest exposure) being over policed and crimes of poverty being the main ones we enforce?

I would guess all of it or close to it.
My understanding is the idea behind lead causing crime is that crime mysteriously dropped in a lot of places with a lot of different policies all over the world at slightly different times about 20 years after that location banned leaded gasoline. Even ethnically homogeneous places with very different policing tactics.

I don't think anyone assumed lead exposure produced general criminality- the concern was about much more acute neurological issues lead was known to cause. To my knowledge no one's gone around measuring childhood lead exposure in criminals to determine "yep, this one's full of lead", the theory is based on much more circumstantial evidence. It's very difficult to prove, but the circumstantial evidence is enough to make you wonder about how much something like that can gently caress up whole societies without being measurable on an individual level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

How much of the lead-crime link is actually just poor non-white people (the ones with by far the highest exposure) being over policed and crimes of poverty being the main ones we enforce?

The literature on lead effects virtually always includes controls for race, gender, education, and poverty, and often they just use homicides which I wouldn't call a crime of poverty. The big concern should be publication bias.

But even with publication bias it seems apparent that people of all races get arrested less - and lead healthier and more fulfilling lives by almost any measure - when they haven't been dosed with a neurotoxin in their air and water until it fills their blood and bones.

We're still working on getting lead out of the pipes in Chicago - still working as in barely started - and it's totally horrifying and depressing and enraging to think about how we. a bunch of alleged grown-up adults, can't come together to de-poison our drinking water.

quote:

To my knowledge no one's gone around measuring childhood lead exposure in criminals to determine "yep, this one's full of lead",

There are multiple papers that basically do exactly this - they identify whether someone's lead testing levels are predictive of future incarceration when you control for race & socioeconomic background. They generally find that, even when you already know someone's race and economic background and gender, knowing how much lead was in their blood, even as a child or when they were in the womb, significantly improves predictions of whether they'll be arrested later on.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The literature on lead effects virtually always includes controls for race, gender, education, and poverty, and often they just use homicides which I wouldn't call a crime of poverty. The big concern should be publication bias.

But even with publication bias it seems apparent that people of all races get arrested less - and lead healthier and more fulfilling lives by almost any measure - when they haven't been dosed with a neurotoxin in their air and water until it fills their blood and bones.

We're still working on getting lead out of the pipes in Chicago - still working as in barely started - and it's totally horrifying and depressing and enraging to think about how we. a bunch of alleged grown-up adults, can't come together to de-poison our drinking water.

Yes, I think it's a huge issue, and I don't mean to downplay it, I'm just saying that a conspiracy theory about why otherwise-healthy Gen-Xers suddenly turn into pricks seems unreasonable. The idea that lead exposure influences crime rates makes sense; the idea that lead is leeching out of people's bones and making them go nuts when they get old, is slightly less reasonable especially in consideration of the fact there are several other more plausible explanations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

Yes, I think it's a huge issue, and I don't mean to downplay it, I'm just saying that a conspiracy theory about why otherwise-healthy Gen-Xers suddenly turn into pricks seems unreasonable. The idea that lead exposure influences crime rates makes sense; the idea that lead is leeching out of people's bones and making them go nuts when they get old, is slightly less reasonable especially in consideration of the fact there are several other more plausible explanations.

Yeah it's not a conspiracy theory to suggest that someone's mental condition is affected by whether they have grew up drinking and inhaling a neurotoxin.

Of course just because we're talking about something real oesn't mean we're talking about something that instantly turns kind people into assholes. It's not werewolf juice, it's just another bale on the camel's back

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Adenoid Dan posted:

I'm skeptical on the lead-crime link, but the only way that makes sense is if you're asserting that the 1992-2017 era saw a strong nationwide drop in poverty and overpolicing of poor and minorities.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Crime is a complicated topic, affected by many things at many levels, and controlling for confounding can also be difficult depending on knowing what the confounders are and how they interact with whatever you're looking at. (My stats knowledge is quite rusty)

Especially since what we want to know is whether it is a causal link.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

It's really important that people recognize not only how detrimental the exposure to lead is, but also how prevalent. From basically the 1920s until the late 1970s, gasoline was by-and-large leaded, which allowed leaded exhaust to deposit lead in soil at noticeable concentrations wherever internal combustion engines were used. So it was not just the exhaust that people would directly inhale, but also the soil that children played in, could have gardens in, turned into parks, etc.

Up until 1978, it was used in paint, and even after 1978, companies were allowed to deplete existing stockpiles of paint, which meant that it actually kept being used until the 1980s, so toys, walls, furniture, school desks, food equipment, etc. So unless these items were disposed of and/or remediated in a way to remove or encapsulate, it's still an exposure source.

Lead was allowed to be used in piping until 1986 when banned via SDWA Amendment, and this simply banned production and installation of new piping, obviously, with existing piping allowed to remain. Water chemistry changes, temperature changes, etc., all play a role; Flint's issues occurred due to water source changes and the resulting changes in corrosivity, pH, etc., but a more silent, obscure form is the impact that hot water has on lead piping and lead-soldered copper piping, since it facilities greater dissolution and exposure.

As it is, lead is still allowed in certain exposure pathways now; residential and commercial water service lines as already discussed, or for example,as a fuel additive for propeller-driven and turbo prop planes, so anyone that lives near an airport, small or large, is still likely to receive environmental exposure.

And while lead's half life in blood and soft tissues is relatively short, it's half life in bone is on the order of decades, so even if someone can eliminate all exposure pathways, it would still take some time for the overall concentration of lead in the body to decrease.

So given the timeline of everything as well as what is still allowed/in-use, and with people's love for using the old appurtenances, doing the cheapest thing possible for their homes, etc., I could definitely see the historically most-exposed communities and demographics still having neurological impacts so long after their original high exposures.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anyone is doubting the lasting neurological effects of lead, fwiw.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think there's any race among whom most today would know about a professor whose biggest presence in popular culture was small features in the second two Matrix movies and whose current project is a Patreon-exclusive podcast. He doesn't have nearly the recognition his thought and talents warrant, that just gives him room to grow if he could ever get some sunlight.

I would love to see him in a real-deal debate, that would probably be a little more likely (snowballs chance vs no chance) if he ran as a Democrat.

LOL if you think black people don't know who Cornel West is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PT6A posted:

It can absolutely happen, and it might explain some things, but I'm telling you that if a person can write a fully coherent screed for the Guardian on why trans people are going to ruin society, the problem is not their executive function.

Executive function doesn’t work like that. There are plenty of folks on the forums with executive function differences.

It’s not any thing to do with if one can write a argument.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The first time I really saw Cornell West do anything was on an episode of Real Time when him and some British or Australian dude become best friends instantly and were just dumpstering the rest of the panel.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

apparently Cornel West published a WSJ op-ed in May congratulating DeSantis for his "Revolutionary Defense of the Classics", saying 'Promoting the Western canon shouldn't be only a Republican talking point.'

if one wonders why this is Cornel West's priority topic when discussing the state of education in Florida, it seems that he's closely associated with the 'Classical Learning Test'. The CLT avows itself to be a 'classical Christian curriculum' and is designed as an alternative to the SAT.

so yeah i have my doubts about Cornel West

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Classical Learning and Classics and everything about it is long into the process of cooptation into "trad" and "tradwest" repackaging of christian nationalism and white supremacy

It's already resulted in the bizarre condition of basically all traditionalist and classical architecture praising accounts being a collective of thinly veiled nazis

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Killer robot posted:

I'm skeptical on the lead-crime link

The way we're going to know about this one way or another is to wait and observe long term trends in geriatric care for gen X-ers. They have the most latent lead poisoning by far, and the disparity in exposure among that population is so strong that you could probably retroactively map redlining onto it.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Eiba posted:

My understanding is the idea behind lead causing crime is that crime mysteriously dropped in a lot of places with a lot of different policies all over the world at slightly different times about 20 years after that location banned leaded gasoline. Even ethnically homogeneous places with very different policing tactics.

I don't think anyone assumed lead exposure produced general criminality- the concern was about much more acute neurological issues lead was known to cause. To my knowledge no one's gone around measuring childhood lead exposure in criminals to determine "yep, this one's full of lead", the theory is based on much more circumstantial evidence. It's very difficult to prove, but the circumstantial evidence is enough to make you wonder about how much something like that can gently caress up whole societies without being measurable on an individual level.

Yeah lead clearly has an effect but it's not the only factor.

I personally think that Roe v. Wade (1973) may have had more an impact on crime dropping in the US in the 90s than some other factors. Not exactly a 1:1 comparison but see Romania's 1966 abortion ban and subsequent 1989 revolution.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 6, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

It's 2023, man, our society is fractured as hell and the list of people who are commonly known to more than 20% of the population or so is like fifteen names long.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kavros posted:

Classical Learning and Classics and everything about it is long into the process of cooptation into "trad" and "tradwest" repackaging of christian nationalism and white supremacy

It's already resulted in the bizarre condition of basically all traditionalist and classical architecture praising accounts being a collective of thinly veiled nazis

It really sucks to be the guy who just genuinely likes a lot of what's considered the classics. Also being the guy who's really interested in ancient Rome.

You just have your normal hobby, something that isn't inherently Naziish at all, trying to interact with others who have the same hobby only to find out like a 3rd of them are really loud Nazis or fascists.

It's not like it's everyone but it's a big enough thing that it makes you uncomfortable being a part of those communities sometimes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Classical History undergrad checking in. Yep.

Egyptology generally escapes pretty unscathed from that group, but we have a different racial superiority group kicking around Karnak.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrainDance posted:

You just have your normal hobby, something that isn't inherently Naziish at all, trying to interact with others who have the same hobby only to find out like a 3rd of them are really loud Nazis or fascists.
But enough about PC gaming...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Mellow Seas posted:

But enough about PC gaming...

PC Gaming doesnt even seem that bad to me now because I got into Smash for a while. Like, the city's team going around the country for tournaments.

I thought, there's no way the community can really be that bad it's just a few people that are probably terrible but 9 out of 10 are probably normal guys.

No it's a loving trainwreck it's bad holy poo poo it's bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BrainDance posted:

It's not like it's everyone but it's a big enough thing that it makes you uncomfortable being a part of those communities sometimes.

Friend of mine is a professional archaeologist which living where I live means digging up various civil war battlefields all the time.

Yeaaaah he has to deal with some poo poo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

BrainDance posted:

PC Gaming doesnt even seem that bad to me now because I got into Smash for a while. Like, the city's team going around the country for tournaments.

I thought, there's no way the community can really be that bad it's just a few people that are probably terrible but 9 out of 10 are probably normal guys.

No it's a loving trainwreck it's bad holy poo poo it's bad.

I want these deets, I haven't been to a smash event since college and was turned off by the toxicity back then even as a lovely edgelord 18 year old

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Killer robot posted:

I'm skeptical on the lead-crime link, but the only way that makes sense is if you're asserting that the 1992-2017 era saw a strong nationwide drop in poverty and overpolicing of poor and minorities.

I encourage you to actually go read the articles about it.

quote:

Put all this together and you have an astonishing body of evidence. We now have studies at the international level, the national level, the state level, the city level, and even the individual level. Groups of children have been followed from the womb to adulthood, and higher childhood blood lead levels are consistently associated with higher adult arrest rates for violent crimes. All of these studies tell the same story: Gasoline lead is responsible for a good share of the rise and fall of violent crime over the past half century.

Like many good theories, the gasoline lead hypothesis helps explain some things we might not have realized even needed explaining. For example, murder rates have always been higher in big cities than in towns and small cities. We’re so used to this that it seems unsurprising, but Nevin points out that it might actually have a surprising explanation—because big cities have lots of cars in a small area, they also had high densities of atmospheric lead during the postwar era. But as lead levels in gasoline decreased, the differences between big and small cities largely went away. And guess what? The difference in murder rates went away too. Today, homicide rates are similar in cities of all sizes. It may be that violent crime isn’t an inevitable consequence of being a big city after all.

The gasoline lead story has another virtue too: It’s the only hypothesis that persuasively explains both the rise of crime in the ’60s and ’70s and its fall beginning in the ’90s. Two other theories—the baby boom demographic bulge and the drug explosion of the ’60s—at least have the potential to explain both, but neither one fully fits the known data. Only gasoline lead, with its dramatic rise and fall following World War II, can explain the equally dramatic rise and fall in violent crime.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/02/lead-exposure-gasoline-crime-increase-children-health/

The core of the theory is that lead specifically damages the impulse control centers of the brain, and lack of impulse control leads to higher crime rates.

quote:

One set of scans found that lead exposure is linked to production of the brain’s white matter—primarily a substance called myelin, which forms an insulating sheath around the connections between neurons. Lead exposure degrades both the formation and structure of myelin, and when this happens, says Kim Dietrich, one of the leaders of the imaging studies, “neurons are not communicating effectively.” Put simply, the network connections within the brain become both slower and less coordinated.

A second study found that high exposure to lead during childhood was linked to a permanent loss of gray matter in the prefrontal cortex—a part of the brain associated with aggression control as well as what psychologists call “executive functions”: emotional regulation, impulse control, attention, verbal reasoning, and mental flexibility. One way to understand this, says Kim Cecil, another member of the Cincinnati team, is that lead affects precisely the areas of the brain “that make us most human.”

Note that this is not a "boomers drank lead and that's why your dad watches Fox News now" theory; it's specifically about crime, not bigotry. I don't think we have data on the "lead made boomers" theory.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I dunno, "a degradation of impulse control" would go a long way to explain why so many of them became so much more out-and-out mask-off bigots rather than "bigotry carefully hidden in dogwhistles".

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Randalor posted:

I dunno, "a degradation of impulse control" would go a long way to explain why so many of them became so much more out-and-out mask-off bigots rather than "bigotry carefully hidden in dogwhistles".

It's been a trope for some time the older people get the less of a poo poo they give

I'm open to lead being one reason out of many for the supposed increase in behaviors being discussed among older folks, but I think there's a forest being missed for the trees. Grandma and grandpa were probably always racist and hateful, but you never noticed because they didn't talk about it much because why would they? Almost everyone on the TV used to be white, dress the right way, etc. etc. The neighborhood didn't use to have those kind of folks, etc. etc. All was right with the world. Then times change and pass them by, they get scared and angry and lash out. Trump using his bully pulpit to toss aside the decades of dogwhistles the GOP carefully cultivated means grammy and pop pop get to say those things in public now, too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Randalor posted:

Yeah it's possible but we don't have data for bigotry the same way we do for crime rates.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

What's the truth about Ukraine he's alluding to? Website is pretty light on info.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's been a trope for some time the older people get the less of a poo poo they give

One that goes back millennia

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The site advocates for ending NATO, so it’s not hard to guess.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah that's what I think. That's obviously not a fault of him or anyone who doesn't know about him, just the reality that he's not at the peak of his popularity and that peak wasn't high.

He had a minor role in thr Matrix sequels, he appeared on some relatively obscure albums in the early 2010s, now he has a podcast on Patreon. This isn't how you get to 50% name recognition in any demographic.

If you could show me wrong here it'd make my day though.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 6, 2023

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I know Cornell West from Astrid Taylor's Examined Life, as well as Zizek. I learned from his Wikipedia page later that he had a few lines in the Matrix sequels.

I can't read much on West's website or watch his videos, but his call to dissolve NATO is couched in generic anti-military language that calls for the withdrawal of all US foreign military presence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A few well-meaning white liberals will probably confuse him with Skip Gates at some point.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I agree with him on NATO. It’s wishful thinking that an empire would tear itself down, but it would be nice for once if world-spanning Anglocentric empires did that. I didn’t ask to fund the insistence that the US be in charge of the global hegemon and it would be nice if we could spend money on other things without having to do whatever atrocities we will do in the throes of decline.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SourKraut posted:

As it is, lead is still allowed in certain exposure pathways now; residential and commercial water service lines as already discussed, or for example,as a fuel additive for propeller-driven and turbo prop planes, so anyone that lives near an airport, small or large, is still likely to receive environmental exposure.

Partially correct. Leaded fuel is still used for AVGAS, which is used to power some but not all propeller-driven aircraft (most of those with piston engines -- usually smaller aircraft). Turboprops have turbine engines, they run on lead-free jet fuel just like jets do, and some piston-engine aircraft also run on jet fuel (not many, to be fair, but they do exist). Some piston-engine aircraft can run on regular motor gas, too.

In the past year, a drop-in replacement for leaded AVGAS (100LL grade fuel) has been approved, and it's just a matter of sorting out the logistics for the full transition to unleaded fuels, which is something that we in the industry are extremely eager about because, obviously, lead is bad news.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gros Tarla posted:

What's the truth about Ukraine he's alluding to? Website is pretty light on info.

It sounds like he’s adopting the leftmost position on Ukraine, joining such luminaries as… *checks notes* Donald Trump.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/micahinATL/status/1666013776343121920

This was after hundreds of people spammed public comment before the vote. It took 15 hours to get through all of the public comments, and early this morning they voted to fund it, 11-4. There were 4 people, obviously planted, on the public comments that approved of Cop City. They were moved to the front of the line.

Atlanta City Council also tweeted a video of those 4 speakers showing how cool and good public support is for it. They deleted it about an hour later after they got dragged for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

selec posted:

I agree with him on NATO. It’s wishful thinking that an empire would tear itself down, but it would be nice for once if world-spanning Anglocentric empires did that. I didn’t ask to fund the insistence that the US be in charge of the global hegemon and it would be nice if we could spend money on other things without having to do whatever atrocities we will do in the throes of decline.

NATO is a mutual defense treaty, not a vehicle for empire building. We are also currently in a situation where one of the countries who had been begging to be let in for the last decade is in a hot war with a neighbor looking to do some empire building with a heaping side dish of genocide.

Add to that China making grabby gestures at Taiwan and you have some very good examples of why the idea that we can just keep out of it is ridiculous.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

https://twitter.com/micahinATL/status/1666013776343121920

This was after hundreds of people spammed public comment before the vote. It took 15 hours to get through all of the public comments, and early this morning they voted to fund it, 11-4. There were 4 people, obviously planted, on the public comments that approved of Cop City. They were moved to the front of the line.

Atlanta City Council also tweeted a video of those 4 speakers showing how cool and good public support is for it. They deleted it about an hour later after they got dragged for it.

I'd be madder at them if we didn't have recent examples of, say, cops threatening their mayor's families and stuff like that.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

from what I've heard it's like, the cutoff date for when people tend to get more conservative as they age is like smack dab partway through Gen X, meaning that older Gen Xers are getting more conservative as they age while younger Gen Xers are like Millennials and Gen Z where they aren't. The result is that if you were to look at Gen X as a whole, it would come off as them getting more conservative as they age but at a far slower rate than the Baby Boomers

Gen X as a cohort didn’t have far to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

yronic heroism posted:

Gen X as a cohort didn’t have far to fall.

Gen Xers still had affordable housing options. Cities were still rebuilding from the 60s and 70s white flight.