Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

norp posted:

You can go take a look at that stat in the almanac!

Hexia is definitely the boss I have with the worst kill ratio.

I just looked it up, if I'm reading things right she's actually been nearly two thirds of my final boss encounters.

I was pretty pleased with myself last night though. Played Unfair for the first time and managed to eke out a win, even with Hexia as the final boss. There were definitely a few moments in the run where I was saved almost entirely by luck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hexia is probably the rudest final boss overall, but imo she's also the most important and cleverly-designed boss of the lot - because once you learn to build your team with the intention of taking her out, you start more consistently beating all of the bosses. Hexia teaches you to always have a plan B, or at least to know the counters to your specific build and make sure you have some sort of counter-counter on hand.

Hexia is a bad design because she counters both physical and magical strategies and the other two bosses don't counter much at all - they win through overwhelming power that ignores what you do. More importantly, Hexia requires more specific counters than the other two bosses. Compare this to Slay the Spire: Awakened One counters Power decks, Time Eater counters infinite combo/spam decks, and Donu/Deca counters turtling decks. And except at the very highest difficulty level where you face two bosses you have a whole third of the game to prepare for the final fight. Slice & Dice just says "lol, surprise, it's Hexia, hope you brought self-shield and death immunity!"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

So many people seem to miss that this is a roguelike and a huge part of that experience is just fate dealing you a hand that you can't work with. You died through no fault of your own, just bad luck. Pick up and go again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can beat hexia through overwhelming power as well. Or great healing/rezzing. Or dodge. Or that one potion that specifically nerfs her.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Inceltown posted:

So many people seem to miss that this is a roguelike and a huge part of that experience is just fate dealing you a hand that you can't work with. You died through no fault of your own, just bad luck. Pick up and go again.
This point keeps being made in this thread and it's just a complete misunderstanding of what "roguelike" means. Plenty of roguelikes don't have such "lol you're hosed" situations and when they do it's usually considered bad design.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's only 3 bosses - you've just got to plan ahead in case you get hexia. There are loads of mitigating techniques and most of them don't have a high opportunity cost anyway.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bad design is pretty harsh, when what you mean is "I don't like the design". Hexia is great.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yeah, to be clear, I don't personally have such strong issues with Hexia. I'm saying that the argument "it's a roguelike, sometimes you just get an unwinnable game" is a poor one.

When I've lost to Hexia while playing the game as intended (i.e. not in generate or custom mode or so) I haven't generally felt like it was unwinnable.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Woebin posted:

Yeah, to be clear, I don't personally have such strong issues with Hexia. I'm saying that the argument "it's a roguelike, sometimes you just get an unwinnable game" is a poor one.

When I've lost to Hexia while playing the game as intended (i.e. not in generate or custom mode or so) I haven't generally felt like it was unwinnable.

Yeah sorry I was pushing back on the language Jedit was using, you're all good. I think sometimes roguelikes just happen to punish you for making choices you didn't necessarily have a good reason to go one way or another, but here Hexia really is, as folks noted, for encouraging flexibility in certain ways.

Orio
May 16, 2022
Hexia is fine, but ideally the other bosses would ask interesting questions of your build as well. Having Hexia be interesting and the other bosses as generic strength checks seems to throw people for a loop.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Do what I do, play everything in heaven mode and every hexia fight is winnable. Bing bang boom so simple

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orio posted:

Hexia is fine, but ideally the other bosses would ask interesting questions of your build as well. Having Hexia be interesting and the other bosses as generic strength checks seems to throw people for a loop.

I think the dragon vs Hexia is an interesting split because the dragon is such an overwhelming strength
check but the when the ghost samurai guy gets added into the mix I'm not really sure what he adds.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Hand is a cool fight. On first encounter he looks like an unbeatable bullshit super-boss, but then you realize he's generally easier than Hexia if you make good use of that universal +1 he gives you. The only thing I really dislike about him is his 10-point petrify side, that poo poo is hilariously rude

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

the holy poopacy posted:

I think the dragon vs Hexia is an interesting split because the dragon is such an overwhelming strength
check but the when the ghost samurai guy gets added into the mix I'm not really sure what he adds.

The Hand is a little bit of Dragon, a little bit of Hexia, and has strong allies but gives +1 to all sides for heroes as long as he's alive.

Also his sides are stronger than the Dragon or Hexia, with a 10 damage petrify (stronger than Hexia), 10 damage cleave, 2x 3 pip summon saber sides (better than Hexia), a 7 damage all (stronger than Dragon) and 4 damage poison cleave (stronger than Dragon).

Plus the Sabers do between 5 to 12 damage each.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The hand really rewards bullshit strong builds, you can't get by with some fair thing hoping to grind him down.

I think it would be interesting to have a final boss that requires you to be able to survive several turns, all the current ones you can just blast through. It would be a bit annoying for low turn count runs but maybe there's a way to work around that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

The hand really rewards bullshit strong builds, you can't get by with some fair thing hoping to grind him down.

Is that really that different from the dragon though? It's pretty rare that you have a build that will beat one but not the other.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The Hand rewards a specific brand of bullshit, your Barbarian is only gonna get +1 damage, your Sorcerer is cackling with delight as he gets double the mana and infinite rerolls.

Generally speaking I think he's the hardest final boss. Conversely I actually think Hexia's the easiest; yeah her power is great but her die kinda sucks. IMO she only actually hard counters a very specific build, where you have a bunch of offense (but not so much offense you can just wipe her out) and little to no defensive capability.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Alucard posted:

Do what I do, play everything in heaven mode and every hexia fight is winnable. Bing bang boom so simple

I have to unlock Heaven first. :negative:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Working on a sub 50 dmg taken heaven win. Getting closer.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

dirby posted:

I have to unlock Heaven first. :negative:

custom 4x blue 1x red is what got me through a brutal run

use all cultists for your blues so that you can technically beat thorns when they show up

also for hexia there are countless ways to beat her easily. self-shield/heal, deathless, ranged, cantrip dodge side, shield on spell-cast, heal on spell cast, witch heal, poison, cleanse, inflict pain/single-use, and probably a ton of other item combos

a specific and hilarious way to kill hexia is to have a character with cleave insta-kill (sharpshooter with pendulum and giant's trident for example). insta-kill a small imp next to her and it will cleave kill her as well regardless of her HP

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Raine posted:

insta-kill a small imp next to her and it will cleave kill her as well regardless of her HP

:stare: I never actually thought of trying this, every time I've had cleave instakill I painstakingly set up adjacent enemies to have <5 HP

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

the holy poopacy posted:

:stare: I never actually thought of trying this, every time I've had cleave instakill I painstakingly set up adjacent enemies to have <5 HP
This changes ev… well at least it makes me want to play a bunch more.

I feel like I’ve hit an imagination wall where I can’t see a way to get hard done more consistently.

Anyone got anything to shake up my play? Watching Jorbs explain his (monstrously simple yet FAST ev calculations) choices in StS really helped open my eyes to traps and synergies I hadn’t even known to look for.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

MrQueasy posted:

This changes ev… well at least it makes me want to play a bunch more.

I feel like I’ve hit an imagination wall where I can’t see a way to get hard done more consistently.

Anyone got anything to shake up my play? Watching Jorbs explain his (monstrously simple yet FAST ev calculations) choices in StS really helped open my eyes to traps and synergies I hadn’t even known to look for.

i got a lot better just playing heaven a bunch after some frustrating blursed runs

it's relaxing and you get to play around with more items/keywords. you'll start to recognize synergies and utility for questionable items or situations in an environment where you can take risks and try stuff that would otherwise be run-ending in other difficulties

the problem of course is the difficulty of unlocking heaven in the first place, but you can always unlock it in the options menu and revert unlocks later (there is no penalty for reverting and it will save your stats for when you unlock it legit)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Easiest way to unlock heaven imo:
Custom party, 5 blues or maybe 4 blues 1 red (cultists are good). Go for curses which increase monster sides or decrease your defenses - anything which adds monsters, adds shields, adds health etc is a no go. Restart at level 3 if you have a bad set of curses. Treat the run like you're aiming for one turn kills every level - sometimes you won't make it but you can hopefully survive one turn of monster attacks and mop them up afterwards.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

What things should I aim for while trying to do the achievement for beating classic in under 40 turns? I've put in seven or eight attempts and there's a few points where I always seem to get bogged down.

Also, regarding Hexia chat, I feel like I'd have less of an issue with her if you could see what boss you're going to fight ahead of time. Then again, that might make things too easy...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lemony posted:

What things should I aim for while trying to do the achievement for beating classic in under 40 turns? I've put in seven or eight attempts and there's a few points where I always seem to get bogged down.

Also, regarding Hexia chat, I feel like I'd have less of an issue with her if you could see what boss you're going to fight ahead of time. Then again, that might make things too easy...

Go hard on glass cannon type builds. You can't take a long time so don't plan on doing it. If you fail you fail, gotta try again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lemony posted:

Play on easy, take a blessing that gives you mana.

The secret hardest achievement is "lose to alpha 10 times". I have lost to alphas once in almost 300 tries.

I was playing raid mode today, which I rarely touch. I have learned that Warlock/Artificer/Leader goes kinda crazy. Caught a valk, too, so the double Hexia final still got rolled by my immortal artificer.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Veryslightlymad posted:

Play on easy, take a blessing that gives you mana.

The secret hardest achievement is "lose to alpha 10 times". I have lost to alphas once in almost 300 tries.

I was playing raid mode today, which I rarely touch. I have learned that Warlock/Artificer/Leader goes kinda crazy. Caught a valk, too, so the double Hexia final still got rolled by my immortal artificer.

Losing to Alpha is a lot easier when you play on the tougher difficulties.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My advice for playing on easy was for the unlock.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man I've played enough of this that at this point I just want a full save game editor and/or a blursed mode that lets me keep everything from a previous run. I know it doesn't make sense I just want to keep getting stronger forever dammit

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Actually, isn't there a high level curse that adds an Alpha? I'm vaguely sure I saw something like that and said "gently caress that nonsense".

If true, that would be a really reliable way to lose to Alphas.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Get to stage 4 and if it's Alpha just keep dying on purpose?

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Are we still posting our most ridiculous statues?
Because I got this yesterday:

:sickos:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

The first time I saw Statue pop up as an option, I thought to myself "must be some sort of joke option, or terrible jank/edge case class."

Now I almost always take it when offered during level up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Statue kicks rear end

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Finally got my hands on the level 20 item. It's, uh. Hm. :stare:

Bag of Holding: gives the wearer the effects of every level 7 item. It's a mess, but surprisingly more powerful than you'd think, since it grants a bunch of Rampage and Poison keywords and the universal decay is totally negated by the "your sides cannot change" effect.

Would be nice if getting an item from an anvil revealed it in your unlocks, but my curiosity is satisfied, at least!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

As with most games with this style of gameplay loop, I find it interesting what I tended to value when first playing vs. what I value now.

First time I saw Glacia pop up as an option, I just figured it was a class with poor mana generation and a spell without much damage potential. Now it's a rare game that I don't immediately lock Glacia in if it comes up. That two pip weakness spell is just so drat good. You can frequently use it to negate 8-10 points of damage, plus the obvious priority usage of preventing summons.

Likewise, I felt Chosen was a bit lackluster. The single use sides seemed like a big weakness and the spell felt mostly pointless. I figured I almost always would want three mana now instead of four mana later. Now I'm not bothered by the single use keyword and use that spell constantly when I have it available.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Are we still posting our most ridiculous statues?
Because I got this yesterday:

:sickos:

I ended up with this, plus an infinite reroll character and a Surgeon to revive them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tann, what unholy favor would I have to grant you to consider adding a character (grey would make the most sense?) that has a side that reads: "1 damage, single-use, dispel"? I almost don't even care how bad their other sides are.

Lemony posted:

As with most games with this style of gameplay loop, I find it interesting what I tended to value when first playing vs. what I value now.

Eccentric is the guy it took me a second to figure out. It turns out that having the good side be on the right is an enormous advantage, but that's not immediately apparent. I'm slowly coming around on the Brute line of guys, with the high HP and the stun side. Yet another yellow example is the Scrapper. Two blank sides and four 1 pip sides, but all four of those can be raised to enormous levels, and 8 HP is pretty good.

I've found that there are guys that I don't consider all that good, but then I'll play something like Raid, and suddenly, they're great. Or in custom, Mimic has much more potential.

Then there are guys that I know are good, and I want to pick more, but somehow my actual pick rate on them is garbage and it probably comes down to luck of the draw. Artificer is one of my least picked mages and I think they're probably my second-favorite tier 3 blue, and clear first favorite on Raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can we talk about the level 0s for a second. I'm convinced some level 0 items are actually really good, but they all take an odd amount of prep work.

The most obvious is the rorriM teckoP, which makes the Eccentric even better. But some of the others are really weird.

The Cyanide Pill has "Add Cantrip and death to the two right sides" which seems like a way you could get a shitload of mana combined with the thing that already gives you mana.

Bent Fork is driving me mad trying to find a use case. "x1 to the pips of all sides" What does that even do?!

I can't decide if these are all fancy ways of saying "Does nothing" or if they're actually ways of saying "Appears to do nothing, but actually has an extremely niche use case."

There are some higher level items that seem kinda rear end, too.

Bowl seems god-awful, but if I squint at it, it seems like a thing that's designed for curse runs (which might explain its surprisingly high level). Is that the main use case? You can take a curse that weakens you, and if you have the Bowl, the bowl hero is full strength? Otherwise it seems to do literally nothing beneficial. (Hang on.........it doesn't keep your sides from changing when you level up, does it? Because that could actually be really good, especially on Generate.)

EDIT
Cracked Emerald seems actually kinda insane if you're lucky enough for it to go off.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 15, 2023