Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Vice does this "paint drip" design on some of their golf balls, and I found like 5 boxes of the Vice Pros with a black/gold paint drip in a Walmart clearance aisle for $12/box.

I bought 2 boxes, and it's a drat good ball. I went back the next day to look for more, but somebody smarter than me had scooped the rest.

Would I pay $30 for the paint drip design? No, but I'd pay $12 and deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

Vice does this "paint drip" design on some of their golf balls, and I found like 5 boxes of the Vice Pros with a black/gold paint drip in a Walmart clearance aisle for $12/box.

I bought 2 boxes, and it's a drat good ball. I went back the next day to look for more, but somebody smarter than me had scooped the rest.

Would I pay $30 for the paint drip design? No, but I'd pay $12 and deal with it.

Ugly rear end ball, but Vice makes a premium product.

So much rain here. Warm, dry today, but no carts allowed. So, put on my slightly older, rainproof shoes and went out. High humidity, soaked fairways meant longer approaches. Also, slow pace. 2:20 at the turn, 6 minute wait to tee off on 10. Quit after 12, 13-15 get further out until you're as far from the clubhouse as you can get before 16 head in. Just couldn't do it with stiff shoes and a blister.

Cracked the code on number 10, though. Dog leg left, almost 90 degree turn. You van cut the corner, but that requires carrying bunkers between 240 and 255. Or. Hit straight up number 1 fairway, had 125 to the pin. No bunkers, no trees. Just have to negotiate the players on 1.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

My new favorite ball is the Vice drip. I have the blue/red drip and the green/black drip. I feel they hold up better than their regular balls and length/spin/feel is more or less the same as any other premium, Pro V/TP5/etc ball.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A guy I was playing with found a matte black Vice barely in the rough when he stepped on it, and decided to play it to see if he liked it. He missed the fairway on the next hole by like two yards and four of us couldn’t find it after a few minutes despite seeing right where it went. “Ah that explains it” lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah some of their balls are cool looking and I wanna buy them for funsies, but I know I’d lose them the second they were an inch off of any fairway with some of those colors

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

MustardFacial posted:

Someone told me custom Vice balls ship out of the EU and they are more lax about what gets printed on the balls.

Kind of want to test it to see how far I get:

I’m listening.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

Looking at Golfshot, I've played nine 18s, two 9s, and one 14 (thank you Disney's Magnolia for being slow to finish your renovation), with the majority of these being in April and May. Scores have ranged from 111 to 98. I try to hit the range once a week. I've only managed two lessons this year: one in March, then a long delay due to the course being closed for the LIV event and then taking too long for our schedules to line back up with the next lesson being this past week. Next one won't be until July due to travel schedules and such.

I can take some videos and post them

I don't want to bum you out, but that's not nearly enough golf to expect to be good. Just accept that it's a long rear end climb, with plenty of plateaus along the way.

Posture: Way too sexy with it. You're in full gorilla mode. If you were hitting a driver, I'd say, nice setup, but wedges and irons require a more upright posture. I would wager that if someone pulled your shirt, you'd tip right the hell over.
Do a little exercise for me. Stand straight up. Bend at the neck. Once your neck is set, bend at the upper back. Don't bend your lower back at all. I would wager that's more than enough bend if your clubs are the correct length and your wrists are pointing down properly. Try to keep your armpits over your feet.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 6, 2023

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1666082277703696387

so uh... huh

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wait what :psyduck:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The Saudis decided their own golf league was stupid as hell and are throwing money at the PGA now it seems. There’s 0 reason for any LIV stuff to survive cause no one cares

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That was... unexpected

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Probably a better result than an antitrust lawsuit going to the mat.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What in the world?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I know nothing about golf but man that was unexpected. Lol at all the guys who had to sit in front of podiums lying to justify taking blood money from the Saudis only to end up back in the PGA a couple years later.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

if they form a new entity, do the LIV contracts not have to be honored?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Sounds like everyone’s getting blood money now

sportsgenius86 posted:

if they form a new entity, do the LIV contracts not have to be honored?

Depends on how the contracts are written.

Edit: also depends on what you mean by honored and what the merger really entails.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 6, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I hope however it ends up working that Sergio resigning from the DP World Tour somehow ends up loving him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1666084948267380737

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1666087043326423042

lmao

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I swear to god if the PGA tries to push the "team" aspect of regular tournaments, I'm gonna be upset. The Majors should stay untouched thankfully.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So all the guys that did the right thing and passed on hundreds of millions of dollars in blood money are in the exact same place as the guys that took it?

Sad day for golf

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wow. I mean... of all the outcomes I don't think this thought even entered my brain.

Huh. So no way to take any moral ground in any of this for the golfers now except to just straight up quit?

Also, I guess this explains Rory's sudden silence and shrinking back from criticism lately.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Also, I guess this explains Rory's sudden silence and shrinking back from criticism lately.

I was just going to mention this. I wonder how much/if any say they had in this.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

So all the guys that did the right thing and passed on hundreds of millions of dollars in blood money are in the exact same place as the guys that took it?

Sad day for golf

Real lovely look, yep.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/suss2hyphens/status/1666091923155881984

:hmmyes:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
drat, twenty new posts, who died

ah hah, the pga died.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

A little early to say if the LIV folks are making out like bandits right? I’m not going to google any known contract details, but they eschewed a lot of the ways golfers usually make money and they didn’t get paid all at once did they?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You gotta hand it to the gulf monarchs they really did figure out that the whites will bow super duper hard for you if you pay them money and they dont give a poo poo about anything morally lol.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

You gotta hand it to the gulf monarchs they really did figure out that the whites will bow super duper hard for you if you pay them money and they dont give a poo poo about anything morally lol.

Oh are they cutting off hands as well as heads now?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Man, that’s…something truly awful. What the gently caress I can’t express how pissed I would be if I was a player, especially one who’d stuck their necks out these last couple years.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
pffffffffffffff hahaha way to stick to those high principles you fucks

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'd be so loving pissed if I was Rory.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Aging well: https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1536076419931021312?s=20

2022: LIV supports 9-11

2023: We're excited about our new partnership!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

soggybagel posted:

Aging well: https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1536076419931021312?s=20

2022: LIV supports 9-11

2023: We're excited about our new partnership!

Some real “Napoleon is invading!”-> “Napoleon welcomed to liberated capital!” poo poo

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

lol the Saudis now own golf, as a professional sport. new and exciting avenues for global capitalism

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Anno posted:

Man, that’s…something truly awful. What the gently caress I can’t express how pissed I would be if I was a player, especially one who’d stuck their necks out these last couple years.

They should have known that it's always better to keep your mouth shut if you don't have nice things to say.

In the end, pro sports is always about the money. Chinese, Russian, Saudi, or American makes no difference.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Jon Irenicus posted:

lol the Saudis now own golf, as a professional sport. new and exciting avenues for global capitalism

They've owned Formula 1 for about a decade now. But F1 has never shied away when people call them out for being corrupt af.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I expect every talking head to personally visit every golfer they crucified and beg for forgiveness

For the record this is gross, but at no point was I going to buy into the moral high ground everyone kept giving to the PGA. To the best of my knowledge they haven't beheaded anyone, true, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have if given the chance

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ThinkTank posted:

I know nothing about golf but man that was unexpected. Lol at all the guys who had to sit in front of podiums lying to justify taking blood money from the Saudis only to end up back in the PGA a couple years later.
I was actually moderately impressed that most of the big names were just like "they paid me a lot of money to golf less." Brooks, DJ, Cam, for instance. Yeah, Phil in the aging euros (poulter) were blowhards.

RCarr posted:

Exact same place other than not having hundreds of millions of dollars.

i am a moron posted:

A little early to say if the LIV folks are making out like bandits right? I’m not going to google any known contract details, but they eschewed a lot of the ways golfers usually make money and they didn’t get paid all at once did they?
Rapoport (I think) is also suggesting that the Liv folks are going to have to pay fines/penalties to get back on tour. I wonder if that is going to be a mechanism to recoup some of this.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think it’s a safe bet that the fines and penalties are no where near hundreds of millions of dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

They've owned Formula 1 for about a decade now. But F1 has never shied away when people call them out for being corrupt af.

The gulf states own effectively all the major English football clubs now too. They'll likely own Manchester United soon too. It's all sport washing and diversifying as they see the quick profit to be made from groups with enough capital to purchase pro sports entities. There's really no asset that has appreciated more in the last twenty years. The average NFL franchise didn't pass $1bn in valuation until 2008, now multiple MLS teams are apparently worth that. They're an even more high profile version of art ownership in that they exist as a store of legitimate capital that will forever appreciate in value because it becomes an exclusive club to be included and those on the fringes will pay insane prices to be included.