Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they're so close to putting the actual best Harvest Moon in here, wrong system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Push the start

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

there's some of that still yeah but there's also a lot more absolute bangers, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFB8UOt01Io

You can't fool me Monolithsoft, this is an extra track from XBC3 :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you mean Friends of Mineral Town for the GBC?

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Also, I felt like it was raining every moment of every day in BOTW and the rain has barely been a nuisance in TOTK. Same with the lightning. Otherwise, I can't describe why it feels so much better other than the weapon fusing. Might be a time and place thing as well. I do seem to be in the minority in that I hate the depths, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I wonder if I could play Harvest Moon these days, after the sorts of changes and upgrades the genre has gotten over the years. I feel like it'd be a cozy return to a game I only ever got to experience on an emulator (memories of that game are fused permanently with the snowy overlay of the ZSNES menu), but in the end I can't imagine I'd get too far in it.

Edit: Also my favourite was always Magical Melody for the Gamecube due to the multitude of goals you could follow for all the music notes or whatever they were. I liked having a whole slew of goals to pursue. Plus I think there weren't any zones in the world, it was all just one big place (buildings and caves excepted, of course)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

lol, when the game first came out there was a bunch of clickbait articles that were like "Finally, we have proof Link and Zelda are in a relationship!", and they cited Zelda living in the Hateno house as proof.

Zelda is in a relationship with Link. Link is in a relationship with Zelda's Wardrobe of halter tops

Mister Facetious posted:

I didn't see stronger enemies in old zones until i started clearing temples.

Okay, but we know how it works in totk and it isn't locked to temples.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Another set of games I wouldn't pay for on their own but will definitely try out Harvest Moon and Enemy Below and probably get sucked into Tilt and Tumble again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, answered

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 6, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Namco's weird insistence on changing the name/titlescreen for one of their older games every year continues unabated:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Larryb posted:

How is Tilt ‘n Tumble even going to work? Does the Switch have a motion sensor (I’ve never played anything that required one at least)?

Yes. It's used in a number of games. I don't think it's required for any of them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Larryb posted:

How is Tilt ‘n Tumble even going to work? Does the Switch have a motion sensor (I’ve never played anything that required one at least)?
The Switch has at least three motion sensors - one in the tablet itself, and one in each joycon. (Plus one in the pro controller if you have that!) It's plenty equipped for stuff like this, and I hope this means that one Warioware game comes to the GBA app at some point.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Kins posted:

Namco's weird insistence on changing the name/titlescreen for one of their older games every year continues unabated:

looking forward to the iteration just named Mystery

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

They probably just want to avoid any incidental religious references or something. Like how Link hasn't had G*d on his side since Zelda 1. They had to make up the Hylian shield just to retcon his whole faith out of the series. smh

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

We should be due for another Mario kart wave soon, right?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Yes. It's used in a number of games. I don't think it's required for any of them.

That’s so cool. I never played Tilt n tumble before. Switch ftw

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Kart Barfunkel posted:

We should be due for another Mario kart wave soon, right?

Not until the next Switch.

MK9 within the first 6 months of a new console = $$$$$$

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mister Facetious posted:

I never said it was in botw, I'm comparing it to something that was. Each guardian clear in botw added a new weapon augment type.
In totk, I didn't see stronger enemies in old zones until i started clearing temples.

Yes I know what you were saying, and I'm telling you that your understanding is wrong about both games. There was no mechanic about clearing 'guardians' (I assume you mean divine beasts) adding weapon augments in BotW, and new enemies can readily spawn in TotK without touching temples.

As has already been said the scaling is entirely tied to the type and number of enemies you beat via a hidden XP system. Divine beast bosses just have a lot of XP so it's common that after beating one you'd get bumped up an invisible 'level' so that you'd start seeing higher level mobs and loot afterwards but it's by no means a certainty.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I did enough exploring/murder hoboing that I was getting silver enemies before I ever cleared a dungeon. My first lynel kill was a silver maned armored gloom lynel, before I did a single dungeon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

tensai posted:

Also, I felt like it was raining every moment of every day in BOTW and the rain has barely been a nuisance in TOTK. Same with the lightning. Otherwise, I can't describe why it feels so much better other than the weapon fusing. Might be a time and place thing as well. I do seem to be in the minority in that I hate the depths, though.

I also hate the depths, running around in the dark is not my idea of fun and I go through seeds like a motherfucker.

Even dropping into them sucks sometimes because the walls of the chasm are lined with angry glowy poo poo and sometimes that’s also under you and so you’re completely disoriented with no idea how high up you might be and which direction you need to glide in to avoid landing in the angry glowy poo poo.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Xcom 2 and the bioshock collection are both 80% off right now, two franchises I never played but heard almost universally positive things about. Are they both pretty solid buys on the switch or are they the kinds of games that are better on PC?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Xcom 2 and the bioshock collection are both 80% off right now, two franchises I never played but heard almost universally positive things about. Are they both pretty solid buys on the switch or are they the kinds of games that are better on PC?

I played xcom 2 on the Xbox and it was fine with a controller, although undoubtedly it’d be better with a mouse (or a touchscreen, I had a lot of fun with the first xcom on my iPad). I think the port was optimised to run pretty well performance wise, although it took a visual hit to make that possible.

I imagine the bioshock games would play fine.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ixnXjtQ7f8

Pikmin 4 is July 21, 2023. Looks like you can create your own protagonist this time

Edit: eshop says 2 players...wonder if it's coop or vs (or both?)

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 6, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ixnXjtQ7f8

Pikmin 4 is July 21, 2023. Looks like you can create your own protagonist this time

Love how this random trailer dropped out of loving nowhere

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Even dropping into them sucks sometimes because the walls of the chasm are lined with angry glowy poo poo and sometimes that’s also under you and so you’re completely disoriented with no idea how high up you might be and which direction you need to glide in to avoid landing in the angry glowy poo poo.

Yeah it owns

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, so did Olimar crash again, or are these guys responding to the events of the first game and just really bad at their jobs?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, so did Olimar crash again, or are these guys responding to the events of the first game and just really bad at their jobs?

yes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

XCom is better on PC because you can get mods and it regularly goes dirt cheap. Bioshock being good was the result of a wave of temporary insanity from around 2006 - 2013 and we've mostly recovered from that now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bioshock 2 is uhhhhhh OK

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What, bioshock 1 is fantastic, 2 is meh and infinite is, according to half this forum - the worst videogame ever made

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's me the Bioshock apologist. 1 & 2 are worthwhile enough tho i'd suggest PC over Switch if you can

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What, bioshock 1 is fantastic, 2 is meh and infinite is, according to half this forum - the worst videogame ever made

Infinite plays great and has a fantastic setting. The actual plot though…uhhhhh, it’s definitely got opinions about things…

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morter posted:

If I have no nostalgia over Resident Evil 4 releases/ports of the past, does it still hold up? Thinking of getting it on the Switch, since it's on sale for a tenner, and it's definitely one of those 'I should play/beat this one day' games...

RE4 is evergreen to me (and probably others). It's one of the few non-8-bit/16-bit games I'll play at least once a year, all the way through.

Bumhead posted:

Not until the next Switch.

MK9 within the first 6 months of a new console = $$$$$$

I believe Kart Barfunkel was referring to the next wave of DLC for MK8D.

Hence why they said 'wave'. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 6, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just play System Shock instead. The remake of SS1 just came out and it looks cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
BS2 has the best combat and maybe the only one with combat that isn't terrible. it also has the decency to end with its best levels unlike every other -shock game ever made (except maybe System Shock)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just play System Shock instead. The remake of SS1 just came out and it looks cool

also this

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

The more I play TotK, the more its flaws become apparent. But I don't care because I'm having SO. MUCH. FUN.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there is so goddamn much to the game there is no goddamn way i am going to come close to completing it lmao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

In a world where prey 2017 exists, no BioShock game should ever be recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I also hate the depths, running around in the dark is not my idea of fun and I go through seeds like a motherfucker.

Attach your seeds to something you can ride around.