Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

The hell quest is that?

The quest to ENDURE!

I found a man on a mountain and the quest is to endure the cold longer than he can i.e. just stand there for the entire night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frankston posted:

I like the quest where you literally do nothing for 15 minutes except press a button on your controller halfway through to stop the Switch going into standby mode.

Oh good there's another one immediately afterwards.

i think you were actually playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, OP.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

snoremac posted:

I'm glad they didn't copy paste that lovely shrine robot fight from BotW but am still sad when I enter a Rauru's Blessing or naked Link shrine. PUZZLES.
If I could turn every shrine into Rauru's blessing I would.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frankston posted:

The quest to ENDURE!

I found a man on a mountain and the quest is to endure the cold longer than he can i.e. just stand there for the entire night.

What’s the reward? If it sucks then lmao.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Are Gleeok Guts the most annoying drop in the game? Finding specific Captain Constructs is bad but at least you’re guaranteed the horn. I’ve killed 8 Gleeoks and have two guts.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if it's like BOTW it's beating enemies

Yeah from what I’ve read it’s this. With more powerful monsters counting for more “XP” and main story bosses counting for a ton. Some say quests and/or shrines play into it too but you naturally do a lot of combat in the course of progressing the story so I don’t know how you’d tease that apart.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

What’s the reward? If it sucks then lmao.

50 rupees the first time, 150 rupees the second time

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
This Talus did not appreciate my ascending through it

https://i.imgur.com/fThm2qR.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUXnAhN_Zk

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CainFortea posted:

Because people think that the thrust from the fan would be counteracted entirely by the thrust of the wind hitting the sale

Yeah, and normally they’d be correct. It’s just the way air flow works that creates this unintuitive scenario. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s actually useful for anything, it’s too inefficient.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wouldn't an efficient version of that just be a jet engine

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought the efficient version would just be putting the fan underwater.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frankston posted:

The quest to ENDURE!

can i just make a campfire and forward time until the morning?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Spanish Manlove posted:

can i just make a campfire and forward time until the morning?

Yes, or equip a flame weapon. For the second one you can create a sun shade from the anchors and stone slabs nearby. Just to be fair I also built him a sun shade but it didn't seem to help him.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Docjowles posted:

I encountered Hands for the first time last night at the north lomei labyrinth. And this is exactly what happened lol. After reaching the end, I stopped to think about where I wanted to go next. Huh weird why is that extremely threatening piano bassline playing? *Hands whip around the corner* SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER. Jump scare got me good :haw:

I finally put my big hero pants on and fought them when I very obviously had to to save the Deku Tree.

They and their goopy friend chewed through all my fairies, all my sundelion meals and the 2 best weapons I had on me but I gottem all first go. And squelchy got finished off with an about-to-break cobble crusher, which was strangely satisfying.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Just Andi Now posted:

In my experience, climbing to the top of cave shrines will get you high enough to ascend through the ceiling. If not that, then the nearest passageway leading to the shrine.

Lol, did this and emerged in a mud pit which immediately killed me. Game goes hard to eliminate conveniences.

Also is the reward for the mayoral election any good or just like 50 rupees? Getting flashbacks to Xenoblade Chronicles side quests trying to find exact person at exact time of day to give out mushrooms.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 6, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Why would people think this wouldn't work?

Clearly I'm wrong in some way but per classic newtonian physics - the amount of force pushing back against the fan should equal the amount of force the air has coming out of it. The air would then lose some force as it travels, and hit the sail with somewhere less than the amount of force that was pressing back against the fan. So therefore if anything the boat should move backwards.

It doesn't apparently, and I think my issue is that I just have no idea how sails actually work. I vaguely remember being told in high school physics that a sailboat can sail against the wind also, and I never understood that either.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Last night I finally attempted the lynel colosseum. I tried doing the plane platform trick, but I hosed up bad. My first attempt, the lasers weren't in a good position being placed on the sides of the turret, so they just missed the lynel. I had to retreat, resupply, and rebuild my platform. I returned, but the event stays active. So the red lynel was already there waiting for me. Every time I tried to auto-build a new and improved platform, he'd roar the parts out of existence.

So I decide to be a tough guy and fight them head on. I got really good on the timing with the red and blue with parrying, but then I ran out of my 1-handers. I used the stairs on the side of the arena to move up to the roof of the colosseum and plot a new plan. I ended up using zoanite platforms and stakes to recreate the same setup. That allowed me to at least crouch and hide through the rest of the blue and white lynels. And then the final round happened. The lasers didn't do poo poo to his armor, and he mostly stood away from their range. I threw a handful of bomb arrows at him and chipped his armor down to 80% lol. So I said gently caress it and used an ancient arrow. Lost the lynel drops, but gained the chest.

After that I finally made it to Gerudo Town. I love that you can get there multiple ways. The game suggests one way, which is entirely plausible. Or you can just 'figure it out'. That was a good time.

taco show posted:

I’m so poor. I want/need another piece of fire armor for the Death Mountain chasm but I have maybe 400 rupees to my name, mostly from side quests. I’m hesitant to sell mats bc I don’t know what’s needed for armor upgrades.

You can cook and sell food. I found the most efficient food is just sauteed fruit by cooking 5 apples. If you farm up that apple shrine I mentioned earlier, you can sell the food for like, 35gold each. If the shrine is dropping 50 apples, you'll make 350gold from that alone. You can probably sub in an acorn or two and stretch out those earnings.

Squatch Ambassador posted:

This Talus did not appreciate my ascending through it

https://i.imgur.com/fThm2qR.mp4

This has been hands down my favorite trick to fighting them. They used to be such a massive pain in BOTW, requiring goofy fire updrafts to hit the weak spots. But now I can just Ant-man up into them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I finally put my big hero pants on and fought them when I very obviously had to to save the Deku Tree.

They and their goopy friend chewed through all my fairies, all my sundelion meals and the 2 best weapons I had on me but I gottem all first go. And squelchy got finished off with an about-to-break cobble crusher, which was strangely satisfying.

I used the cheese strat posted earlier in the thread get to high ground and spam bomb arrows as they helplessly mill around which works great if there's somewhere appropriate to do it nearby

And I had that same experience with the Water temple boss. I was down to like a 4 damage tree branch fused with a horn, for some reason all my poo poo was breaking instantly on him. Legit thought I was going to run out of weapons. No problemo :c00lbutt:

PageMaster posted:

Lol, did this and emerged in a mud pit which immediately killed me. Game goes hard to eliminate conveniences.

Also is the reward for the mayoral election any good or just like 50 rupees? Getting flashbacks to Xenoblade Chronicles side quests trying to find exact person at exact time of day to give out mushrooms.

lmao

The big reward is a REALLY funny looking hat. So, yes, definitely worth

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PageMaster posted:

You can also get your hylian hood lowered.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AppT8Qj8_ro

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

snoremac posted:

I'm glad they didn't copy paste that lovely shrine robot fight from BotW but am still sad when I enter a Rauru's Blessing or naked Link shrine. PUZZLES.

Same. Though I especially enjoyed the one (minor shrine spoiler)that starts as a Rauru's Blessing and then transforms into a puzzle course. I just wish it kept the gimmick up for longer.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 6, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think you were actually playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, OP.

That one's cool because you can blast your 80s hit cassettes and dick around with basebuilding while getting monologued at, MGS4 is the true terror.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

taco show posted:

I’m so poor. I want/need another piece of fire armor for the Death Mountain chasm but I have maybe 400 rupees to my name, mostly from side quests. I’m hesitant to sell mats bc I don’t know what’s needed for armor upgrades.

There is one piece of flame guard gear you can just find if you explore death mountain...

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

graventy posted:

Is there any data on what causes the game to level things up? I assume it's tied to shrines complete but maybe quests and etc?

According to a video I saw you only get exp for beating up to 10 of any enemy type/rank. That's to prevent you from overleving the enemies by accident.

I don't think shrines have anything to do with it. For a long while I was stuck at black blobkin level because I was focused on exploring and doing shrines and avoiding combat. Only after I did a few more temples and beat the bosses and started farming minibosses did thay change.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

zzMisc posted:

I vaguely remember being told in high school physics that a sailboat can sail against the wind also, and I never understood that either.

Triangle sails function like the wing of an airplane and generates lift as wind pushes into it. You can't sail directly into the wind, but you can go at ~30-45 degree angle towards it, depending on your ship. You compensate for this via tacking back and forth to reach your destination.

Do the fans work as propellors when underwater? A speed boat would be nifty.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thundercracker posted:

According to a video I saw you only get exp for beating up to 10 of any enemy type/rank. That's to prevent you from overleving the enemies by accident.

I don't think shrines have anything to do with it. For a long while I was stuck at black blobkin level because I was focused on exploring and doing shrines and avoiding combat. Only after I did a few more temples and beat the bosses and started farming minibosses did thay change.

Yeah checks out. I saw the BotW video and I realized why I never really saw stronger enemies: since you kinda need to beat 10 of each for the EXP values to reach full value, only by killing all bosses/Monk Kohza/Ganon I reached the point Silver Boboklins started to spawn. Which is why I barely saw black Moblins and Lizalfos.

TotK must give better exp for story though, cause after all dungeons I'm seeing Silvers of everything but Lynels/Minibossess.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the explanation about sailboats going upwind is typically poorly explained. The important thing isn't really the precise specifics of the sail, it's the fact that the boat is *on water*, and being on water it constrains the boat's direction of travel to a specific line. If the boat was just on a frictionless surface it would be impossible to go upwind.

The sail doesn't actually need any fancy aerodynamic properties, that just helps with efficiency.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

DLC should be an alien invasion of Zonai coming back to reclaim Hyrule

Giant flying saucers everywhere like Independence Day

Hyrule Defense Force.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really could see the switch 2 launching with like a 60fps update + TotK: 4 swords adventures aka Grand Theft Hyrule online.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Picture this model. The grey shape is a ship, and the black line its sail. Because of the way the hull of the ship sits in the water, the ship can only move along the blue dotted line.

Now, imagine the air coming downwards, following the orange arrow. When it hits the sail, it bounces off going down and to the left, which implies that it pushes the sail towards the right.

Since the sail is attached to the ship which can only go along the dotted line, this means the ship is pushed towards the right, and thus goes (partially) upwards, even though the wind is going down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Khanstant posted:

Why would people think this wouldn't work?

Because fluid dynamics is incredibly complicated and basic-level intro physics ignores it where possible. By pointing a massive fan at the sail they maxed out at 3mph, that's a lot of stuff cancelling each other out where a quick/sloppy calculation could miss there was something left over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Frankston posted:

I like the quest where you literally do nothing for 15 minutes except press a button on your controller halfway through to stop the Switch going into standby mode.

Oh good there's another one immediately afterwards.

He said "anything goes except wearing clothes." Want to know a trick?
You can sleep until morning/night.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fangz posted:

I think the explanation about sailboats going upwind is typically poorly explained. The important thing isn't really the precise specifics of the sail, it's the fact that the boat is *on water*, and being on water it constrains the boat's direction of travel to a specific line. If the boat was just on a frictionless surface it would be impossible to go upwind.

The sail doesn't actually need any fancy aerodynamic properties, that just helps with efficiency.

That isn't true though. The sail shape and rigging has everything to do with how close the boat can sail to the wind. The square shape sailed brig can run with the wind very fast I can barely sail into the wind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You don't need complicated fluid dynamics to understand the fan-sail thing, you just need to realise the entire setup takes air going into the fan relatively slowly from a range of directions, and ends (after bouncing off the sail) with a relatively focused airstream going backwards. It's simply a less efficient version of putting a hose on a high pressure pump and pointing the end of the hose backwards.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - fluid dynamics is incredibly complicated

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CainFortea posted:

That isn't true though. The sail shape and rigging has everything to do with how close the boat can sail to the wind. The square shape sailed brig can run with the wind very fast I can barely sail into the wind.

The efficiency changes, but a square sailed ship absolutely can sail into the wind. In the same way that a plane with flat wings can actually fly, albeit inefficiently. Different types of sails can capture the energy of the wind more efficiently at different angles, which is important in the real world where there's also factors like the drag of the sail and the drag of the boat in the water to consider. Regardless, Viking longboats for example sailed back and forth for hundreds of years. Tall ships don't get rid of their square sails when they go upwind.

However, for instance, there is absolutely no such thing as tacking in space. The essential component is the keel. It's fundamentally a matter of momentum conservation. The geometry of the sail matters, for sure, but focusing on it serves only to confuse the core issue with extraneous details.

This video has a demonstration with a simple wooden board https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5InZ6iknUM

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 6, 2023

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

Thanks! I'm kind of doing what you did, meandering around and avoiding combat, but I didn't want to accidentally level myself out of tiers. I know there are colosseums to solve that problem but I'd rather avoid the problem entirely if possible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fangz posted:

The efficiency changes, but a square sailed ship absolutely can sail into the wind.

Yes. I know. That's literally what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Bruceski posted:

He said "anything goes except wearing clothes." Want to know a trick?
You can sleep until morning/night.

Yeah if you're a coward who can't truly ENDURE.