Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Bill can gently caress off for a series of reasons but he's nowhere near as terrible a person as Portnoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1666081759459692545

Lmao

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

yeah Bill can gently caress off for a series of reasons but he's nowhere near as terrible a person as Portnoy

Bill Simmons didn't commit war crimes against frozen pizza. He's an annoying Boston sports fan but holy poo poo Portnoy is worse both as a Boston sports fan and a person

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

i said "holy poo poo" when i saw that, also RIP nexstar

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s extremely disappointing to say the least

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

What the hell is the PGA’s strategy here? Is it that the Saudis have unlimited funds and they want access to the money? Do they figure that eventually they’ll wear down the PGA, losses be damned?

I need help with this one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dr_Strangelove posted:

What the hell is the PGA’s strategy here? Is it that the Saudis have unlimited funds and they want access to the money? Do they figure that eventually they’ll wear down the PGA, losses be damned?

The PGA really isn't pleased with the possibility of a drawn out antitrust lawsuit against them from someone with a lot of money. Honestly, LIV might have a point by the law, with the PGA's policies being anti-competitive.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Yes it was always about the money and they got spooked as people jumped ship and the Saudis didn't seem to be getting bored.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dr_Strangelove posted:

They're a Golf organization, and they realized they could become a Gulf organization, which tend to make more money

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The PGA really isn't pleased with the possibility of a drawn out antitrust lawsuit against them from someone with a lot of money. Honestly, LIV might have a point by the law, with the PGA's policies being anti-competitive.

Yeah this is kinda how I'm seeing it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

look who publishes golf wolf you or me

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Portnoy is obviously a piece of poo poo but the one thing that has truly puzzled me is how he got to self anoint himself as this pizza expert. This is a guy from the north shore of Massachusetts and now he's the pizza expert because reasons?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao golf is garbage

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Shinjobi posted:

Lmao golf is garbage

boy howdy is it ever

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

soggybagel posted:

Portnoy is obviously a piece of poo poo but the one thing that has truly puzzled me is how he got to self anoint himself as this pizza expert. This is a guy from the north shore of Massachusetts and now he's the pizza expert because reasons?

if you're loud enough, people will listen

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Remember the Nate Silver burrito bracket?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

soggybagel posted:

I think "self-anointed" kind of self-explanatory.

East Coaster pizza chauvinism is always funny to me, it's at least 10x as prevalent as our Western burrito equivalent

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Panzeh posted:

Every major North American sports league is anticompetitive and wants to avoid a lawsuit that would make them play by rules, except the MLB who get the ignore the rules because the court REALLY liked baseball in the 20s

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bip Roberts posted:

Remember the Nate Silver burrito bracket?

Oh my god, i totally forgot about that. Memories man...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tadashi posted:

Bill Simmons' sins are pretty loving small on a scale of "0-to-Dave Portnoy".

that's why i called him a tiny evil version! because he's the bad guy!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think "self-anointed" kind of self-explanatory.

East Coaster pizza chauvinism is always funny to me, it's at least 10x as prevalent as our Western burrito equivalent

It's true though because of Connecticut and NY

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:laugh:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/bryancurtis/status/1666121305459134464?s=20

Lmao geez ESPN

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Stephen is always on the right side of things...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fsumollz/status/1666091427884072962?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nodoze posted:

It's true though because of Connecticut and NY

I will never tire of the people from these areas declaring themselves kings of pizza despite never leaving the country and then recommending the most dogshit local places.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffAgrest/status/1666459810265432067

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so apple is going to pay messi

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1666534909622603779?s=46

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Never anticipated MLS becoming such a weird pyramid scheme/senior tour when it started but I guess you do what you gotta do to survive.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I feel like the fact that it's Miami just makes it funnier

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Traffic next to my house gonna get a whole lot worse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ace Jameson posted:

Never anticipated MLS becoming such a weird pyramid scheme/senior tour when it started but I guess you do what you gotta do to survive.

Go back into the early years, it was worse in terms of being a retirement home, which peaked with David Beckham joining the LA Galaxy. Seems like more teams focused on younger talent in recent years, but Messi is just the highest-profile version imaginable of a trend that’s been going forever.

Spaced God posted:

I feel like the fact that it's Miami just makes it funnier

Capital of Latin America, can’t explain it but here we are.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

harperdc posted:

Go back into the early years, it was worse in terms of being a retirement home, which peaked with David Beckham joining the LA Galaxy. Seems like more teams focused on younger talent in recent years, but Messi is just the highest-profile version imaginable of a trend that’s been going forever.

Oh yeah I definitely remember Valderrama coming to play for the Mutiny and all that, at the time I just figured it was only initial splash they needed to hook people with big names. I like it in a way though, it's fun watching guys like Chicharito waltz in and dominate when they actually decide to give a poo poo, but it feels like a threat to the rest of the product.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The average age of an MLS player is about 26 - a bit more than a year per player older than ten years ago but still a year or more per player younger than leagues like the Premier League and La Liga.

in terms of the league being a retirement home, in its early days it would usually sign big-name players who were in their mid to late 30s and would play for a year or two and that was it Valderrama was weird in that he decided he liked the league and played until he was in his 40s. That's definitely changed, with big name signings since tending to be a bit closer to an age where they would still theoretically have a few good years left even if they aren't a top-level player anymore. Using the Galaxy as an example, Beckham was 32 when he signed with the and not at the tail end of his career. Robbie Keane was 31-32. Javier Hernandez was 31-32. Jamie Penedo (125+ caps for Panama) was 31-32.

Zlatan was 37 when he was signed, but I wouldn't use him as an example or comparison of anything. I mean, he almost scored double-digit goals in Serie A as a 40-year-old.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 8, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's going to work because i have never really had an interest in going to an MLS game and i'm googling when Inter comes to Chicago because I want to see Messi even if he is just sleepwalking against a bunch of MLS doofuses.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's going to work because i have never really had an interest in going to an MLS game and i'm googling when Inter comes to Chicago because I want to see Messi even if he is just sleepwalking against a bunch of MLS doofuses.

October 4th.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

For the past several weeks, Atlanta has been hyping June 8 as the day they have the broadcast booth with Tom Glavine, Chipper Jones and John Smoltz.

That may be the most insufferable booth ever created.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/kwhitesays/status/1666122403116724226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1666919438791196673