Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

mbt posted:

this isnt diablo 2, that wall doesnt exist.

*check notes* folks this is what i would call a brainlet tier take

The amount of people coming into this thread alone saying that they're struggling with the difficulty of the game kinda implies different. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jetamo posted:

The amount of people coming into this thread alone saying that they're struggling with the difficulty of the game kinda implies different. :shrug:

i went up a world tier and the game is harder now? is this a bug?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jetamo posted:

It implies they're incredibly dumb, yes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Clocks posted:

I definitely have a lot of small complaints that will add up overtime.

I agree 100% with the UX choices, and the layout in each of the towns, they kind of suck.

I bet there's a decent number of players who'll stop playing after the main story ends, and will be satisfied with that.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

flashman posted:

Lol I think the victory lap is a bit premature for this one. Everyone loved d3 at first and it sold super well and fast and then it took years and a paid expansion to make it a good game... Alot of the skills sort of just suck in this once you get to the "endgame"

The game has a ton of glaring issues, but it is still an absolute delight to play. The longevity of the game absolutely hinges on them expanding/improving existing systems, though.

Even if Blizz decides to never touch the game again (I don't think they'll do this), I think the game is perfectly worth the price of admission. I'll get at least one play through of every class, and have a blast the full way through. As it stands though, I doubt I'll bother to play most of the classes more than once.

That's still a hell of a lot more gameplay than I get out of 90%+ of my game purchases.

InventorOfTrees fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 6, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I agree 100% with the UX choices, and the layout in each of the towns, they kind of suck.

I bet there's a decent number of players who'll stop playing after the main story ends, and will be satisfied with that.

I mean, I'm almost definitely going to be one of those people. I'll probably hang it up before the battle pass I paid for releases lmao.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jetamo posted:

if you have dropped the game to WT1 and are struggling with difficulty, this isn't a problem with the game.

if you are playing on WT2 and are struggling with difficulty, have you considered dropping the difficulty?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

InventorOfTrees posted:

The game has a ton of glaring issues, but it is still an absolute delight to play. The longevity of the game absolutely hinges on them expanding/improving existing systems.

Even if Blizz decides to never touch the game again (I don't think they'll do this), I think the game is perfectly worth the price of admission. I'll get at least one play through of every class, and have a blast the full way through. As it stands though, I doubt I'll bother to play most of the classes more than once.

They're going to throttle numbers right now to drag out progression in general because it's the launch cycle. Within 6 to 18mos though, perhaps depending on how they're handling expansion content, they'll likely move toward the 'numbers go up' philosophy from Diablo 3's past ten years. Their paypig Ubisoft-imitative cosmetic store will rake in a bunch of cash the whole time, I don't see them throwing pay2win things in there because they know critics are eyeballing for that like hawks on a powerline.

That's my current guess. If time shows me wrong, o fuckin well, that'll suck. By the time I'm done with D4 in its current state I know I'll have gotten my money's worth at least.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

The game has a ton of glaring issues, but it is still an absolute delight to play. The longevity of the game absolutely hinges on them expanding/improving existing systems, though.

That's still a hell of a lot more gameplay than I get out of 90%+ of my game purchases.

They've already said they're working on two expansions in parallel.

Haven't had as much time to play as y'all but it's going well with my storm druid around 20. Lightning storm, cyclone armor or whatever, trample just for the mobility, ravens. Already picked up some items with raven and lightning storm boosts. I still hate the spender builder poo poo but once you get the rhythm it's okay. Just takes a more deliberate style.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

InventorOfTrees posted:

I guess if you enjoyed the campaign and stuff this is a reasonable take, although it's a fairly expensive purchase. I did not like the forced runs through empty areas and weird little pointless parkour sections and poo poo just want to kill monsters but to each their own.

I still have a slight bit of hope they may sooner than later go buck wild with uniques and poo poo to open up the rest of the skill tree for using. I'm not really sure how someone played a sorc though even in wt2 and thought yeah these skills and resource management is where the game should be.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

BurningBeard posted:

Blizz said they were working on ladder/online support features for WC3R for years, and that never came. They also repeatedly said they were still working on OW2 PvE for over a year after it was already cancelled internally.

I'm not trying claim they're lying, but it's hard for me to not just read statements like this as hot air from them at this point. I'll hold out to see what actual actions they take.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

InventorOfTrees posted:

Blizz said they were working on ladder/online support features for WC3R for years, and that never came. Blizz repeatedly said they were still working on OW2 PvE for over a year after it was cancelled internally.

I'm not trying claim they're lying, but it's hard for me to not just read statements like this as hot air from them at this point. I'll hold out to see what actual actions they take.

There's no way they aren't working on expansions, come on

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
good thing I didn't say they weren't?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

InventorOfTrees posted:

good thing I didn't say they weren't?

Yeah you just did weird hang wringing who's to say if it's true or not about it instead

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The highly, highly successful launch all but guarantees at least one expansion. drat game only has 5 classes. I crave a heavy armor hulk like the crusader. And/or a paladin type.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mendrian posted:

It's definitely better to revert to the day of yesteryear where you hit a brick wall in gameplay, spend hours tinkering with your build, discover you have no idea where to start, obsessively collect gear until you know most of the important potential gear drops, try to build a slightly more deliberate character, do 5% better, get advice from your friend Chet, discover he was lying to you for a goof, and then finally some rando at 2am who parties with you gives you the final piece of information you need to get your theory-build together and cracks open your DPS like an egg.

Or you could hit Google and hug your fuckin kids idk.

i dont do that first part because i can read and understand information

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Blizzard spent untold millions chasing the dragon of "Titan" their FPS RPG even after they started calling it Overwatch 2 and even after other developers showed how to do the thing in Destiny they still couldn't manage.

D4 shows they have one trick they can still pull off, yea I'd bet money on successful expansions for this game.

Any other Blizz property though, well good luck.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Clocks posted:

I will say I'm finding it really funny to see people bragging about how amazing their builds are in like WT2 or babby's first tier 3 sigil. Congrats you completed the equivalent of a t1 white PoE map and are basing everything off of that.

just cleared a tier 15 severely underlevelled w no issue. my builds doing well lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that D3 had an 11 year lifespan despite THAT launch makes me bullish on D4's legs.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah you just did weird hang wringing who's to say if it's true or not about it instead

D3 had three expansions in the pipeline at launch, with the latter two being cut before the first one even released. It's not exactly crazyworld to have a healthy dose of skepticism with their marketing comments.

SettingSun posted:

The highly, highly successful launch all but guarantees at least one expansion.

I can agree with this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

The fact that D3 had an 11 year lifespan despite THAT launch makes me bullish on D4's legs.

Yeah and games are way more supported post launch now than they were back then. This game's going to blow D3's support out of the water.

InventorOfTrees posted:

D3 had three expansions in the pipeline at launch, with the latter two being cut before the first one even released. It's not exactly crazyworld to have a healthy dose of skepticism with their marketing comments.

okay see you when the second expansion launches I guess

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BurningBeard posted:

Haven't had as much time to play as y'all but it's going well with my storm druid around 20. Lightning storm, cyclone armor or whatever, trample just for the mobility, ravens. Already picked up some items with raven and lightning storm boosts. I still hate the spender builder poo poo but once you get the rhythm it's okay. Just takes a more deliberate style.
Later on (or maybe a boon?) there’s a perk that randomly gives you 10 spirit when dealing any damage, and then there’s another one that heals you every time you cast, so there’s like this little sustainability dance where you’re dealing and taking damage at the same time, and spending and gaining spirit. All while just holding one button.

Anyone interested in trying a caster Druid though, absolutely go 1H and try to find attack speed whenever you can. Your basic skills are pretty weak so you just wanna quick hit a couple of those to gain spirit and then go right back to casting. A lot of the people I’ve seen complaining about Druid are trying to play it like an elemental Barb with big strong 2H weapons and it’s slow and miserable.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Bardeh posted:

if you have dropped the game to WT1 and are struggling with difficulty, this isn't a problem with the game.

if you are playing on WT2 and are struggling with difficulty, have you considered dropping the difficulty?

but I'm good at videogames. I can't play on the bad at videogames difficulty

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

okay see you when the second expansion launches I guess

I hope so, friend!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Granstein posted:

Diablo has always been a little weird, because it never had the same cultural impact other blizzard games seem to have but -everyone- has played at least one of them. D3 sold 30mil copies, which puts it near the top ten best selling games of all time.

I have to wonder if it has to do with the iconography of the game being so basic. You have the angels with their weird tendril wings, but aside from that what about Diablo is instantly recognizable in the same way most of WoW or Starcraft are? The most iconic enemy of the game according to Bliz is The Butcher and he is just a guy with a big knife. Everything else is largely the same demons you can get a lot of other places.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 6, 2023

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Game is lagging mega hard today holy hell. A bunch of zones have an invisible wall that you have to wait a few seconds before they clear up.

Early access should have been 1 month, until the start of Season 1 :hotpickle:

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Clocks posted:

I will say I'm finding it really funny to see people bragging about how amazing their builds are in like WT2 or babby's first tier 3 sigil. Congrats you completed the equivalent of a t1 white PoE map and are basing everything off of that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Did a world boss, I skipped all the betas so hadn't tried one before, but what's the point of this? The boss had all kinds of cool art and portals and poo poo, it wasn't ashava, but it was basically like LFR tier difficulty. One of the easiest things I've tried in the game. Just feels like they must have put a ton of effort into something that's just a really pretty loot pinata.

On the plus side it finally dropped my second shockwave aspect in 61 levels, so I can go back to pulverize druid. Trample/landslide feels very strong, but it's so unpleasant to play. Who's like "Oh I've got it, you'll trample forward, and then all your landslides will be behind you! where the mobs aren't, because trample pushes them forward if you hit them." Also incredibly cooldown dependent, clear a screen every 15 seconds then run in circles waiting to do it again. Pulverize is way nicer to play in my experience.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

Did a world boss, I skipped all the betas so hadn't tried one before, but what's the point of this? The boss had all kinds of cool art and portals and poo poo, it wasn't ashava, but it was basically like LFR tier difficulty. One of the easiest things I've tried in the game. Just feels like they must have put a ton of effort into something that's just a really pretty loot pinata.

On the plus side it finally dropped my second shockwave aspect in 61 levels, so I can go back to pulverize druid. Trample/landslide feels very strong, but it's so unpleasant to play. Who's like "Oh I've got it, you'll trample forward, and then all your landslides will be behind you! where the mobs aren't, because trample pushes them forward if you hit them." Also incredibly cooldown dependent, clear a screen every 15 seconds then run in circles waiting to do it again. Pulverize is way nicer to play in my experience.

did you read the thread reactions when people couldn't easily kill the world boss

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

World boss in beta would one shot everything with half of its attacks and took almost the full 15 minutes to kill.

T4 world boss at launch on Saturday was dying to 3-4 of us in under 4 minutes.

100% a loot pinata and something they had to put in because they were so big on having a living world that no one really wanted or cares for.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm building a unabomber trap rogue that's highly dependent on an aspect that lets me plant 4-8 poison traps without cooldown. 35+ levels and I still can't find one :cry: I'm now farming the one dungeon everybody is doing and with each level getting weaker and weaker (all my skills are going into traps, but I have to carry with my bow until I find the aspect). Please, RNG Jessus, I beg you

SettingSun posted:

The highly, highly successful launch all but guarantees at least one expansion. drat game only has 5 classes. I crave a heavy armor hulk like the crusader. And/or a paladin type.

I miss my Assassin from D2. I hope they do an assassin / daemon hunter hybrid. I loved playing a tower defense minigames

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Bardeh posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not someone's who is struggling. Just beat the story last night on WT2 at like, 43. I'm confused about the people having issues with the difficulty as generally I'm real bad at ARPGs but only died like twice - once to three rhinos all charging at the same time, and the second when the final boss had a literal sliver of health but wasn't actually taking damage - but I'm not just writing them off as "lol turn on your monitor" tier.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got up to WT3 / level 51 with my Bone Spear necro, and he's pretty OK, but I jumped over to play a penetrating shot rogue up to 20ish and I think he just feels better to me for being basically the same line enemies up and snipe gameplay. The constant move speed buff on shroud of shadows is great.

Of course, on the rogue I skipped the campaign and have had 2 aspects equipped since like level 8, so that helps quite a bit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's nothing wrong with a game challenging you, having variable difficulty, and also looking up help to get past walls. Also every game with wide appeal should be well designed for new, learning and rusty gamers. :shrug: D4 is pretty cool in that it gives you the tools to succeed but they aren't immediately obvious, even if they aren't gonna get to PoE levels of nonsense. Like Rogue gets a lot of little early stuff to apply CC and benefits from hitting CCed dudes but aside from just using the Invigorating Strike Vuln passive it requires a little work to get smooth combat flow going. And that flow is satisfying to get!

drat I thought Rogue was super cool and then I got combo points and bwooooaaahhhhhh mind blown, this owns.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

Pretty sure Pulverize is the top performing build but it also leverages Earth spells by way of a unique helm. I'm playing that trample build and yes it's strong and fun but since I also use an aspect that puts cool down on Earthshock there's some points I literally can't cast a thing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

There's no way they aren't working on expansions, come on

https://twitter.com/Wowhead/status/1665848851259969537

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

American McGay posted:

Later on (or maybe a boon?) there’s a perk that randomly gives you 10 spirit when dealing any damage, and then there’s another one that heals you every time you cast, so there’s like this little sustainability dance where you’re dealing and taking damage at the same time, and spending and gaining spirit. All while just holding one button.

Anyone interested in trying a caster Druid though, absolutely go 1H and try to find attack speed whenever you can. Your basic skills are pretty weak so you just wanna quick hit a couple of those to gain spirit and then go right back to casting. A lot of the people I’ve seen complaining about Druid are trying to play it like an elemental Barb with big strong 2H weapons and it’s slow and miserable.

Uhh Cocaine bear 2h is not slow. 160 spirit, and I just constantly refresh to full of I'm hitting at least 3 mobs. It's a monster.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm building a unabomber trap rogue that's highly dependent on an aspect that lets me plant 4-8 poison traps without cooldown. 35+ levels and I still can't find one :cry: I'm now farming the one dungeon everybody is doing and with each level getting weaker and weaker (all my skills are going into traps, but I have to carry with my bow until I find the aspect). Please, RNG Jessus, I beg you

I miss my Assassin from D2. I hope they do an assassin / daemon hunter hybrid. I loved playing a tower defense minigames

My guess is paladin and assassin, one per expansion. Figure since part of the marketing is about bringing back those II vibes, I feel like it's gotta be those. Otherwise switch one out for monk or witch doctor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe we'll finally learn of those Horadrim we sent to the Skovos Isles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Don't 2h weapons give additional bonuses to their aspect and thus enable super broken builds?