Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sinkhole or portal to hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Groundhog.

My son & daughter-in-law found a hole like that tunnelling under their monolithic concrete front steps.

He tried filling it back in, but the critter could dig faster than he could fill it.

We ran a hose down there & left it running for a few hours to get the offender out. I then dumped 400-lbs of stone down & tamped it in.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PainterofCrap posted:

Groundhog.

We ran a hose down there & left it running for a few hours to get the offender out.

Drownedhog

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nah, we made sure (s)he got out. Not happy about it, either :kimchi:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hello, long time no post. Instead of an update on my horrible back room, I bring you a bathroom update: went to install a new light and discovered that the previous previous owner patched up the wall with grout instead of spackle.

Also the original wiring in this house looks like desiccated snakes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Also that should be in an electrical box, not a plate screwed to the wall.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Well I'm gonna have to rip out everything in this bathroom eventually, I'll fix it then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Well I'm gonna have to rip out everything in this bathroom eventually, I'll fix it then.

That's what the PO said!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Wait a sec though, and picture this. Once sanded, painted all clean, wouldn't that be even more aesthetic?

What are the exact safety issues with this?

I don't see what's so funny/stupid about this idea. I thought it was genius, but girlfriend & electrician friend absolutely destroyed me 😂😅🤷‍♂️

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That is an angry repair job.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i tried to miter the edge of a 2x4 today and hoo boy did i do a terrible job with the Makita. i need to get a handsaw...

the good news is that it allowed the thing to fit as a lateral support to which i was able to attach my privacy screen to so it doesn't gallop in the wind anymore. a quick one hour Sunday job (took me 6 hours)

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 5, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, this was bad enough that the contractor called in to bid to fix it before it collapsed was turned down due to the cost of actually fixing the structural problems. He was still nearby working another job and tried to warn off other workers who were just patching the bowing wall while structure fell apart above them. They bailed on the job at 3:30, and the building collapsed at 4:55.

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/s...e4-12ca69a8aabe

quote:

"Andrew contacted us to give them a bid on the back of the building to repair the exterior masonry that was crumbling and falling," Shaffer said. "Our bid was to support the building all the way up, replace the section of wall on the inside that was missing and then redo the façade of the brick on the outside."

He said he thought the bid they gave was reasonable, but Wold rejected it because the cost was too high. Shaffer and his crew walked away, he said, because of his concerns about the safety of the building.

"If certain steps weren't taken to properly support it, then you can't just start removing bricks without something like this happening or somebody getting hurt," Shaffer said. "So that's what made us walk away from that job."

During the lengthy bid process, Shaffer said he was inside the building around a dozen times. He described a section of wall in the basement as being "compressed."

Working nearby, he said he watched the building over the next few months and witnessed bricks occasionally falling off of it.

"Each time I came over, it was worse," he said. "Every time I looked at it."

Just two days before the collapse, on Friday, May 26, he said he witnessed windows shattering.

"Because part of the building was dropping," he said. "There's a whole strip of windows all the way up and all of them shattered and blew out."

He described water pouring out of the downspout but not knowing where it came from because it hasn't rained recently. Bricks kept falling.

"Saturday I saw that they're still working, I said, 'You need to stop working on it. It's not safe to be working underneath it,'" Shaffer said to other workers. "'Get away from there. You're gonna die.'"

He said one of the people he warned told their boss who called 911, but he doesn't know what happened during or as a result of that call. News 8 has filed an open records request to obtain that phone call.

They'd known it was collapsing for months, the city even cited them for it back in February.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1665675904146722816

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/under-construction-bridge-collapse-bihar-nitish-kumar-tejashwi-yadav-8646693/

quote:

The 3.16-km bridge being built since 2014 collapsed twice in 14 months

Huh.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's amazing how quickly everyone's fight or flight reflex has been replaced by the :justpost: reflex.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, so we just need the next one to burn down and fall over, and then we'll really be set.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, this was bad enough that the contractor called in to bid to fix it before it collapsed was turned down due to the cost of actually fixing the structural problems. He was still nearby working another job and tried to warn off other workers who were just patching the bowing wall while structure fell apart above them. They bailed on the job at 3:30, and the building collapsed at 4:55.

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/s...e4-12ca69a8aabe

They'd known it was collapsing for months, the city even cited them for it back in February.

At least justice was served to the owner.

from another news article posted:

The owner of a building that collapsed earlier this week in Davenport, Iowa, is facing a $300 fine for “failing to keep the structure safe.”

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Seems to me we got a case of a big bag wolf going around, haven't seen this since I was a rookie

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

one weird trick to build a causeway

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's amazing how quickly everyone's fight or flight reflex has been replaced by the :justpost: reflex.

not gonna waste time crying over spilled bridge, just get back to work

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Galloping Gandhi

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

SpartanIvy posted:

At least justice was served to the owner.

I heard an npr report that the city did that because it was the fastest thing that would prevent the owner transferring ownership and liability to another entity.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/801-Bowles-Ave-Fenton-MO-63026/55188555_zpid/

I like the mosaic everything and non Euclidian window casings.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I didn't know Picasso had a Putin phase

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is that one of the “lightbulbs” hatching in the back corner? Like some sort of alien doppelgänger, they hide in plain sight as light fixtures until they hatch and infect the next house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is not crappy and it's in fact really cool but I didn't know where else to post it

https://twitter.com/pullahoko/status/1665202612554063873?t=s7DruUluWjAaWjTWHwzO-g&s=19

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I dunno there was something about photo after photo of eclectic design then *bam* a HGTV special marble tile shower that really tickled my chortler.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sirotan posted:

This is not crappy and it's in fact really cool but I didn't know where else to post it

https://twitter.com/pullahoko/status/1665202612554063873?t=s7DruUluWjAaWjTWHwzO-g&s=19

The Wooodworking thread would get a kick out of it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Two of the drawer pulls are eyes, and four of them are teats.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Some hopefully not crappy construction. About two months ago I realized the floor under my shower was partially rotted out. My wife had always wanted a bath so it was a good time to put one in. It's been a lot of work but the bath is done. I did the tile myself but had help here and there doing tear down and installation. The floor is next and then I might replace the counter top.

The old shower. The flaw was with the old faucet, which is the one thing I didn't replace when I changed out a badly rotted insert for a new shower twelve years ago.

Demo. I started trying to pop the tiles off and then took out the sledgehammer.

The house was built in 1920 and is plat and lathe throughout.

The new floorboard. I ended up adding a sister to a couple of joists.

Adding two shelves to the back wall, one for the shower, one for the bath. The bath is a 56 inch. There just wasn't enough room for a normal 60 inch. As it was we cut into the back wall in order to get some added distance.

Starting tiling. I absolutely switched out the faucet with a new one.

The cat inspects the work. The process freaked him out.

The finished bath and the unfinished floor. The shower was six inches deeper than the bath so I'll have to redo the floor

The shelves. We're going to repaint the walls and the trim.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

If you want to live in an early 90s Nickelodeon ad, this is the home for you!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darth Brooks posted:

Some hopefully not crappy construction.

I got bad news for you friend. But I tend to be very blunt, so maybe somebody else can can do a better job explaining

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nitrox posted:

I got bad news for you friend. But I tend to be very blunt, so maybe somebody else can can do a better job explaining

It's impossible to know where tiles will end up.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Darth Brooks posted:

Some hopefully not crappy construction. About two months ago I realized the floor under my shower was partially rotted out. My wife had always wanted a bath so it was a good time to put one in. It's been a lot of work but the bath is done. I did the tile myself but had help here and there doing tear down and installation. The floor is next and then I might replace the counter top.

Waterproofing?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Should be fine. Greenboard and moaterboard behind the faucet, moaterboard behind everything else. I have some sealer to put in yet. Any loose water would drain into the tub rather than the wall.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Darth Brooks posted:

Nice work! My only question is why just the two cubbyhole shelves when you could have had up to four full-width cargo bays and never run out of room for soaps and scrubs and whatnot ever again. (My stance here may or may not be colored by my girlfriend's preference for a zillion specialized bath products.) :v:

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

Looks better than I could do, but that floating wall looks pretty high. When you push on that top corner, does it want to rack? That could mess up your grouting and the caulk line where it meets the tub.

Also, is that the final trim on it? The gap at the top really jumps out.

I think the tiling looks fine, you knew what the spacers are for which is better than most bathroom DIY we laugh at here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Powered Descent posted:

Nice work! My only question is why just the two cubbyhole shelves when you could have had up to four full-width cargo bays and never run out of room for soaps and scrubs and whatnot ever again. (My stance here may or may not be colored by my girlfriend's preference for a zillion specialized bath products.) :v:

I've been assured the two 1'x1' bays we're putting into a current bathroom remodel will be sufficient, but remain dubious based on the amount of stuff on the rack hanging from the showerhead we're currently using.