Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Counter point: you get to drive a tank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really feel like a revisit of BA has to be about Ada making guns or the modern armory, just exploring history and what happened during the first collapse. Maybe I'm stretching, but I feel like there was stuff about Savathun being around earth during the collapse or something, so I feel like exploring what happened during the collapse could be a thing. What are the beats we need to hit before TFS? "What does the Witness want to do" (in a practical sense) "Where did they go" and "How do we follow them?" - I feel like this season might be exploring parts of that first one.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Plus Tarrabah from Leviathan
Tarrabah is Crown of Sorrows, Acrius is Leviathan (and some might debate that one) I don't think Spire or Eater had associated exotics?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah there's a bungie post from a few seasons ago where they said, any reprised raid that had fewer than 6 weapons, or if its exotic is already in game, will get additional legendary weapons and a new to d2 exotic

I think that's why a lot of people are overwhelmingly confident Scourge is back, but I bet some reliance is also placed on other things like api changes or leaks or whatever

I didn't really follow the story of season of the forge but did they leave any questions unanswered about the black armory? Is there anything to really Progress our understanding of, or would any new Tales of the Black Armory be entirely new story threads?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Well now, I forsee a maintenance in the near future...

https://twitter.com/Revenant5333/status/1665773581043658757/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1665773581043658757&currentTweetUser=Revenant5333

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah there's a bungie post from a few seasons ago where they said, any reprised raid that had fewer than 6 weapons, or if its exotic is already in game, will get additional legendary weapons and a new to d2 exotic

I think that's why a lot of people are overwhelmingly confident Scourge is back, but I bet some reliance is also placed on other things like api changes or leaks or whatever

I didn't really follow the story of season of the forge but did they leave any questions unanswered about the black armory? Is there anything to really Progress our understanding of, or would any new Tales of the Black Armory be entirely new story threads?
I do agree the "we'll bring the weapon count up to 6" was suspicious, but I'm still skeptical Scourge will come back before Wrath and/or Leviathan.

I don't really remember the story of season of the forge much at all, just feel like between reprises of Opulent, Ikelos and Reckoning they'll probably find some excuse to revisit BA.

I just hope if they do it's not like this season where the Reckoning weapons aren't craftable, and therefore, trash.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Year 2 was when they experimented with largely standalone expansions that didn't contribute to the larger arcs, so it's just the story of the Black Armory, how it collapsed, how Ada-1 salvaged some of it with your help, and how the fallen tried to grab a piece of it (this was Scourge). It was a complete story but there's probably room to fit a Golden Age weaponsmith into the buildup to the final battle. At least make a seasonal exotic question where she invented a new thing and it has to be contained/fixed/field tested/completed with enemy parts or something

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Meiteron posted:

I would begrudgingly welcome a return of Scourge because I did like it, as Season of the Forge may very well be my favourite or second-favourite period in all of my time playing D2 and the Black Armoury weapons were my favourite guns to use by a mile.

But it really shouldn't return as a reprised raid because it is short as hell and light on content. It's an open city block encounter, some running, a sparrow section, one combat encounter with the tanks, and one combat encounter with the bot. If this is the raid to tide people over until TFS the bitching and moaning is going to be extraordinary and multifaceted.

Frankly I think you would be better off tweaking the encounter structure and berserker mechanic to be doable solo, cut the fireteam size to 3, and release it as a dungeon.

I don't think there are any raids other than Wrath that they could bring back without community outrage at this point tbh (and Wrath is rumored to be ruled out due to technical limitations.) Leviathan is too recent and doesn't have good enough loot, everything else is too small.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Good enough loot" is not really an issue since they can just make the loot good, like they did with LW.

I wouldn't really say Leviathan is "too recent' either - only things older are D1 raids, Wrath and Crota, and I feel like Crota is still less likely then Wrath unless they intend to rework it a good deal, and even then, I think dropping it this year would go over kind of poorly because we just had a reprised Hive raid last year, and just had a Hive Dungeon this season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the majority of the active playerbase never completed Leviathan at this point anyways.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leviathan is so old the weapons all have fixed perks, so they'd have to do a refresh no matter what

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also recent can go gently caress itself, Leviathan is a fantastic raid regardless. Also in theory they could almost get the other levi raids running with some overlapped effort so maybe we can have all of them back!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wrath is top of my "want it" list but it would be a perfect rehash of Rise of Iron to drop it as next year's reprisal raid, right at the tail end of the game, where its perfection is under appreciated

Big agree on basically everything Oxyclean is saying today, hot drat. The reckoning guns being No Craft is annoying. Last Wish definitely proved they can make any loot pool exciting by cranking up the PerkoMeter to max

Leviathan just wasn't particularly popular, which to me is the big reason not to bother bringing it back. It was also designed for two primaries and a purple ammo Special Weapon so it would probably require stupidly high HP values and infinite add spawns to make it less of a joke. This part is subjective but I also feel that its encounters just aren't particularly fun? And gamers like Bosses more than Mechanic Encounters which it is... Lacking. Hype levels for beating up a Calus Robot are low, to me

Crota is a better raid than people give it credit for but yeesh do we really need to kill Crota again for like the 9th time in Destiny 2 alone?!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 5, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It makes sense but catching up lol how every single NPC that had a subplot about prepping for the Darkness ended with "oh no! I got owned by The Darkness!"

Also double lol how Rasputin spent his entire life getting owned

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Warminds had to have been the biggest waste of taxpayer's glimmer in the whole Golden Age

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Warminds had to have been the biggest waste of taxpayer's glimmer in the whole Golden Age

Maybe even the worst agreement signed anywhere

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Saladin said he was gonna make the Fallen pay for the wall. :mad:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Random questions since I've jumped back in -

What am I looking for in armor ? Before, I basically kept anything with starting stats of 60/65, still the same? Weapons? I guess it depends on the mods they spawn and their rolled stats.

Are the promised Loadouts available now? I would really like to switch loadouts fast, but I'm not sure if I'm not finding the right screen or it's not here yet

Are the Veteran ranks worth anything besides e-cred? I'm at 6 which I guess is not too bad considering I haven't played in years

Forsaken content is gone, but I can still join a Vanguard strike from the Forsaken campaign? Not a question, more like... ok..

The UI is a freakin mess lol.

I've never completed a Dungeon or a Raid, do you still need to talk to people to run these? I mostly do Vanguard Strikes where you just join and go

Whatever happened to Rasputin? I'm guessing he's gone, but Failsafe is still there

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Random questions since I've jumped back in -

What am I looking for in armor ? Before, I basically kept anything with starting stats of 60/65, still the same? Weapons? I guess it depends on the mods they spawn and their rolled stats.

Are the promised Loadouts available now? I would really like to switch loadouts fast, but I'm not sure if I'm not finding the right screen or it's not here yet

Are the Veteran ranks worth anything besides e-cred? I'm at 6 which I guess is not too bad considering I haven't played in years

Forsaken content is gone, but I can still join a Vanguard strike from the Forsaken campaign? Not a question, more like... ok..

I've never completed a Dungeon or a Raid, do you still need to talk to people to run these? I mostly do Vanguard Strikes where you just join and go

Whatever happened to Rasputin? I'm guessing he's gone, but Failsafe is still there

Depends what stats you want for your build. Most people go for maxing Resilience and Discipline, followed by maybe Recovery, so that would always be a safe bet. Use https://d2armorpicker.com to figure out what armor you could equip to figure out your best possible stats.

Yes they are. On your character screen, you can move your cursor to the left side of the screen and open them there.

They are worth absolutely nothing except e-cred.

It sucks, no excuses.

Yes it is.

Depends on the dungeon or raid. Quite a few can be completed with no comms if everyone involved knows what they're doing but you'll need at least text chat to call out roles before each encounter, and several of them I wouldn't recommend with no comms ever.

He died at the end of Season of the Splicer because the Hive God of War would be able to feed off the violence he can create and he concluded if his only purpose in life is to kill then he'd be better off gone.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Pirate Jet posted:

He died at the end of Season of the Splicer Seraph because the Hive God of War would be able to feed off the violence he can create and he concluded if his only purpose in life is to kill then he'd be better off gone.

ftfy, Splicer was the synthwave Mithrax season in Y4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pretty much. "High stat armor" means the same thing it used to. The stats have had some new side effects added, like each class ability cooldown gets bonuses from a different stat. Resilience grants a very high (up to ~30%) PVE damage reduction so everyone wants that.

quote:

They're here. They're a lot faster than API-based loadouts in third party apps but not as capable.

quote:

Not really. Almost every established player gets rank 6 automatically and there are no concrete rewards after that

quote:

The Corrupted is in the Dreaming City so it escaped the purge. Broodhold and Hollowed Lair are gone

quote:

Yep lol

quote:

Right, there is still no matchmaking for dungeons and raids. A mic is strongly recommended for the first run of a dungeon and all runs of a raid

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cheers, fellas! :cheers: I'll admit I'm enjoying myself a lot, even with these minor issues, it's a great game

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Raids require good communication and don't have matchmaking. Dungeons don't have matchmaking either, but are much more lenient with communication and mechanics. Don't be shy to ask for a group in the discord. Lots of people are happy to teach them to first timers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dungeons tend to have roles that work together naturally just based on what the game tells you- stuff appearing and disappearing, prompts in the activity feed, etc. 3 people who know what to expect can do a dungeon encounter without any kind of communication at all, partly because dungeons are also expected to be soloable. Raids limit information to specific players and puts the responsibility of relaying it to others on them, and also frequently have very strict timing requirements where two or more players have to do something within a few seconds of each other. Some raid encounters can be done micless by the very experienced, but for others there is no way to avoid communication and the onscreen keyboard on consoles is too slow

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you don't want to communicate during a dungeon, you can simply solo it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Very true, some of the easiest solo content in the game for any and all players.

Cannot stress enough how supportive, patient, and helpful everyone in the Discord is. Even if it's your first time through something with a less than optimal build please don't feel intimidated about hopping in, throwing out a ping to ask for people to play something, and having a good time with it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That's the weird take, isn't it.

We don't have matchmaking for Dungeons - 'Because they require communication so it wouldn't suit having Matchmaking'
But they can be solo'd. So clearly, you can complete them without communication, because you can complete them without the humans to communicate with...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They're adding LFG functions in one of the seasons this lot I think? I dunno, on a personal level I don't fancy spending like an hour in a dungeon with randos, that sounds like torture lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Three people on a blind run with no comms would probably be worse than solo because they'd just constantly get in each other's way and see a third of the clues each

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Not really. Almost every established player gets rank 6 automatically and there are no concrete rewards after that

I started at Rank 5 this is bullshit don't they know who I am or how fancy my first year Solstice armor is

Don't they know I killed Crota(aaaaaah)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the other good thing about cutting your teeth on dungeons pre-raiding is that they don’t have wipe mechanics, or at least not in the way raids do, so you can just keep trying to get to a DPS phase over and over until it happens rather than one person messing up and eating poo poo, making all the dominos fall

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Welp, there's the IB reset, got a serviceable fusion out of it but could be better. I'm ready for a new story beat tomorrow.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Flashing back to the Beyond Light showcase when they mentioned "new dungeon or raid content every season!" and then cut to Atheon, Oryx and Crota on the screen in that order

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Vault of Glass still free and in the game to play? I'd love to revisit it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yep, Vault of Glass and King's Fall are both free & available to all players.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Destiny content: Vault

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let's just say, you don't pay... With money

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Let's just say, you don't pay... With money

You do, just transitively.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

poo poo bring back Crota so I have a new place to level guns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

Yep, Vault of Glass and King's Fall are both free & available to all players.

Hell yeah I didn't know Kings Fall was back

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
extremely stupid question: when I finish an activity I can't give commendations to people, i just get shoved into a score screen. What keybind goes to the commendation screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morte
Feb 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

extremely stupid question: when I finish an activity I can't give commendations to people, i just get shoved into a score screen. What keybind goes to the commendation screen?

Commendations are busted for a lot of people right now, I believe since the new season started. Apparently loading into a raid and returning to orbit fixes it but ymmv