Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

what is it with bitcoin and the urge to keep detailed mycrimes.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Excelzior posted:

what is it with bitcoin and the urge to keep detailed mycrimes.blockchain

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
they're all idiots who've convinced themselves that they're too smart to be caught

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I strongly suspect that at least some of these dead bitcoin billionaires, potentially including Mr. poopscoop, faked their deaths to cash out and escape creditors/disgruntled criminal partners
That's fun to think about. But also consider what your brain's risk management center must look like if you're big into crypto and then what would happen if you apply that risk management to something actually deadly like swimming in the ocean.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The immutable record of criminal conspiracies that cannot be deleted or changed after the fact, providing a cryptographically secure basis for prosecution credits. Backed by math!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

kw0134 posted:

The immutable record of criminal conspiracies that cannot be deleted or changed after the fact, providing a cryptographically secure basis for prosecution credits. Backed by math!

The setup for the most boring heist movie: need to break 50% computing power on the Crime Blockchain to modify the record

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Only Bitcoin can solve the trilemma of money laundering, noncompliance and ponzi.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

The setup for the most boring heist movie: need to break 50% computing power on the Crime Blockchain to modify the record

you son of a bitch, I'm in (federal prison)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chainclaw posted:

Honestly? Disagree.

1. Gives good reason for globe trotting escapades,
2. Allows arbitrarily many set pieces and break in montages to fill screen time
3. Sets up obvious twist that the team nerd is a backstabbing psycho

Sure, Bitcoin sucks, but that's an okay movie premise

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

you son of a bitch, I'm in (federal prison)

This is good for bitcoin

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Honestly? Disagree.

1. Gives good reason for globe trotting escapades,
2. Allows arbitrarily many set pieces and break in montages to fill screen time
3. Sets up obvious twist that the team nerd is a backstabbing psycho

Sure, Bitcoin sucks, but that's an okay movie premise

They have to do a synchronized heist at three data center locations, each with their own unique challenges. The one on a farm in rural Indiana is being raided by the feds and the owner is getting into a shoot out as they're trying to insert their change.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
The whole final scene is scored by Fleetwood Mac's The Chain.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
<studio exec>: If you can work in a chase on top of a train while throwing penny shavings and killing a bear whale by giving him all the real money he wants, we’ll green light it!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Excelzior posted:

what is it with bitcoin and the urge to keep detailed mycrimes.txt

I think this is more a generational thing than a bitcoin thing. You hear about similar dumb bullshit now and again with college weed dealers getting caught with my_drug_sales.xlsx on their desktop.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There's a weird bathtub curve for how likely it is someone is going to get in trouble for trusting a computer too much. On the one hand you have elderly people who don't quite grasp that once something's on facebook it's there forever. Then in the middle you've got a generation of 50-30 year olds who grew up with computers being new and saw first hand how much of a gently caress the early internet could be. Then you've got a younger cohort that grew up with devices that just work and who always banked via an app etc. who don't really seem to consider how easy it is for someone else to get your info.

Like, of course I store my_crimes.txt and drug_sales.xlsx on my phone, that's where I also have my shopping list and my reminder to take my medication and my bank account info and all my photos (both salacious and innocent) etc.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think this is more a generational thing than a bitcoin thing. You hear about similar dumb bullshit now and again with college weed dealers getting caught with my_drug_sales.xlsx on their desktop.

It's hard to find clips still around, but there was a crime drama in 2007, Life, that had a drug dealer who hid their drug sales in Prince of Persia Two Thrones on the Xbox. There was a climatic scene where all the cops were trying to beat the level that the excel spreadsheet was hidden behind, it was one of the dumbest TV moments I've seen.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

zedprime posted:

That's fun to think about. But also consider what your brain's risk management center must look like if you're big into crypto and then what would happen if you apply that risk management to something actually deadly like swimming in the ocean.

the people who I suspect of faking their deaths are the more “criminally inclined” coiners who were criminals before bitcoin came around (i.e. popescu) and who moved into crypto to make accessing their criminal wealth easier. these people aren’t hiding from the SEC, they’re hiding from the bratva, triads etc.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The 2013 TV show "Almost Human" is set in 2048 and shows people using "Bitcoin Sticks" to instantly transfer funds, so clearly they have ironed out the problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sXcxP6LuYk

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Chainclaw posted:

This was pretty much the end of the movie Nerve

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chainclaw posted:

It's hard to find clips still around, but there was a crime drama in 2007, Life, that had a drug dealer who hid their drug sales in Prince of Persia Two Thrones on the Xbox. There was a climatic scene where all the cops were trying to beat the level that the excel spreadsheet was hidden behind, it was one of the dumbest TV moments I've seen.

This is the movie Cloak and Dagger, where state secrets were encoded onto a game cartridge that fell into the hands of a plucky teenage protagonist

I remember liking the movie but that was also the age where I liked every movie I watched, in the Before Times

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
No I remember that clip, you have the one guy who's all super confident about his game play abilities but he keeps dying, then this other guy notices this woman in the back is pretending to hold the game controller and pushing ghost buttons along with the gameplay because she's a REAL GAMER, and they get her to do it and she wins.

In trying to look it up I somehow got a news article about SBF:thunk:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I watched Fast X a couple weeks ago and in one scene the bad guy steals the good guy's money and moves it around with crypto. It's the exact same scene in every other film but it's 2023 so instead of just saying they got hacked, it's now they did it with crypto.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Here you go, people. Wonder how much Ubisoft paid to be featured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D2gTolXO8E

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

blocked:smith:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CZ recommends using a VPN, it’s for more than just securities fraud.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

a lot of people don't really appreciate how much better cops have gotten about using technology to get arrests. by way of example, they think that deleting messages from facebook/deleting their profile means those messages are gone forever, but Facebook is more than happy to send off their copies of it to any PD with a warrant (which isn't heard to get). or they don't know that PDs have task forces that just browse local social media all day to catch kids self-snitching. it's pretty scary, i've seen them use fitness tracker apps to prove someone didn't run away from the scene of a crime and instead tried to hide evidence.

this music video got so many goddamn kids arrested. (and the buildings condemned and destroyed.)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Still think about that one Chinese bitcoin exhcange owner publicly musing on twitter about how to trick the government in to thinking they were doing less business than they were:allears:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
When you post on the internet you should strive to maintain a roughly 75% bullshit to 25% truthful ratio. Make it difficult to tell signal from noise, and it's easier to spin a web of lies from a kernel of truth than to build it from the ground up.

The best option is to simply not post anywhere ever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Desert Bus posted:

When you post on the internet you should strive to maintain a roughly 75% bullshit to 25% truthful ratio. Make it difficult to tell signal from noise, and it's easier to spin a web of lies from a kernel of truth than to build it from the ground up.

it comes down to the people behind bitcoin and most scams not being as smart as they think and eventually loving up because they're also greedy and egotistical.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

At the very least, do not post about your crimes under your real name right beside a big picture of your real face.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I was going to make a joke about keeping your my_crimes.xlsx spreadsheet in Minecraft but then I found out you can actually make Minecraft in Excel.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ynohtna posted:

Here you go, people. Wonder how much Ubisoft paid to be featured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D2gTolXO8E

This is incredible. It's every bit as bad as described. I love it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

I was going to make a joke about keeping your my_crimes.xlsx spreadsheet in Minecraft but then I found out you can actually make Minecraft in Excel.

There's a long standing gag that any game that supports circuit logic will eventually be able to play a copy of itself within its own environment. Dwarf Fortress is particular gets a lot of this. People have made impressive things like calculators and emulated digital displays.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It is like a page out of freep. He even cites this :tinfoil: as if it's not just words by stupid people. https://twitter.com/IOHK_Charles/status/1665780536177217537

lmao @ the knee jerk sorta-dogwhistle ((((their)))) agenda that comes outta these guys mouths whenever something bad happens

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the people who I suspect of faking their deaths are the more “criminally inclined” coiners who were criminals before bitcoin came around (i.e. popescu) and who moved into crypto to make accessing their criminal wealth easier. these people aren’t hiding from the SEC, they’re hiding from the bratva, triads etc.
Not really making the case for a functioning risk management center.

Surely the easier criminal conspiracy is the loan sharks sent them for a swim in a riptide.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Desert Bus posted:

:mods:

nut
Jul 30, 2019

bitcoin i hardly know coin

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Can't wait until employers, insurers, governments etc consider lack of activity to be suspicious and shitlist you unless you have a convincingly active dataprint

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Strategic Tea posted:

Can't wait until employers, insurers, governments etc consider lack of activity to be suspicious and shitlist you unless you have a convincingly active dataprint

Several employers have already gotten into poo poo by demanding access to all your social media, and claiming you gave them fake profiles when you point out that your linkedin was last logged into a year ago when you last did job hunting.

poo poo, some border control/customs offices did the same thing in some countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

always thread-relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9NyVZWuVcQ