Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Official tools for FO4 releasen in April 2016, but people were modding the poo poo out of the game in zero days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's been a gap since Morrowind, which shipped with a 2nd CD for the Construction Set.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I expect a port of xedit day one and people to start cracking it open. I just pray that they take the keys away from Arthmoor. The unofficial patches way too often veer into rebalancing the game instead of adhering to a more strict bug fix.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's cool to get to be a game designer when someone else has done the dirty work and you get to tweak the numbers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Want
https://twitter.com/yip_tran/status/1642910221004869635

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Completely forgot this video game apparently exists. Again. :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would rather forget it exists until late August.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

For real. Zelda, Diablo, other poo poo... Lots of games out between then and now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I said come in! posted:

Play some SpaceBourne 2 to tide you over

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I have too much to play! This is a good time to be a gamer. But yeah, I have to have that controller, absolutely buying that once its available.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Azhais posted:

Play some SpaceBourne 2 to tide you over

Is this actually good and not jank?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Crow posted:

Is this actually good and not jank?

It's a game made by one dude with text to speech voice acting. It's jank as hell. But that doesn't prevent it from being entertaining.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

This reminds me, there is one thing that I absolutely love about Bethesda merch, it never breaks character. There's no giant Bethesda(tm) to give stuff away or make you act as walking advertising. If you bought one of their Red Rocket tshirts, there's nothing anywhere on it to indicate it isn't a real filling station where you can top up on Gas : Diesel : Fusion Cores.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes everybody remembers great Bethesda products such as
Nuka cola bottom shelf rum in a plastic bottle
That cheap polyester sack
The awful vault jacket made out of IKEA shopping bags

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 3, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I still have 2 bottles of Nuka Cola Quantum that Jones Soda produced for the Fallout 4 launch.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd like to argue that the visual design is distinct from the final product as delivered by whatever company that actually produces it, but I don't actually know how that all works. Presumably someone at Bethesda just found a cheap quote from some random company - it's possible they were as unhappy as anyone else to see the final bag, jacket, etc.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Anyone that buys rum from a gaming company with the expectation it will be high quality DRINK deserves to be beaten with sticks.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd like to argue that the visual design is distinct from the final product as delivered by whatever company that actually produces it, but I don't actually know how that all works. Presumably someone at Bethesda just found a cheap quote from some random company - it's possible they were as unhappy as anyone else to see the final bag, jacket, etc.

nah todd howard is making that poo poo by hand

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I have a bust of Duke Nukem and believe it is super high quality compared to the game ...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I have a bust of Duke Nukem and believe it is super high quality compared to the game ...
:hfive: Duke bust friend!

Burns
May 10, 2008

A bethesda game without the requisite hundreds of titty mods is jist not the same.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Looks like the controller has been spotted in the wild.

https://twitter.com/djkillzownjones/status/1665491117532430336

Also a reminder that the Starfield Direct will be after the Xbox Showcase on the 11th.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Please, please show me something other than iterated upon fallout 4 gunplay, please.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jack B Nimble posted:

Please, please show me something other than iterated upon fallout 4 gunplay, please.

You'll slow mo shoot an alien in its kneecap nutsack and you'll love it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

External Organs posted:

You'll slow mo shoot an alien in its kneecap nutsack and you'll love it

:negative:

I'm just hoping that the reason what we've been shown so far is more or less unmodified fallout 4 gameplay is because it's more or less unmodified fallout 4 gameplay, both in that it was a ready made vertical slice and it was the least revealing element they could demo.

I hope.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It's just going to be that don't delude yourself.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I could not give two shits whether the gunplay is "good" or "bad" I just want to wander the stars doing odd jobs to pay off my space mortgage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I want to take Space Drugs and then murder people with a Space Boarding Axe.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh I thought the shooting in FO4 was perfectly fine. If it’s that-but-incrementally-better that’s good enough for me for a base-level combat mechanic.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Flowing Thot posted:

16 times the detail with dynamic weather systems visible from Uranus.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flowing Thot posted:

We all know it's going to be a beta release of creation engine 2

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Azhais posted:

We all know it's going to be a beta release of creation engine 2
You mean NetImmerse? Because it's still fundamentally the same engine.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I actually thought the space ship combat looked really cool :shobon:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

Eh I thought the shooting in FO4 was perfectly fine. If it’s that-but-incrementally-better that’s good enough for me for a base-level combat mechanic.

It was and theoretically still is fine, but I'm terminally done with it and their next tent pole single player RPG really really needs to not feel like the last one, they've never done that before and it's going to be real bad if they do it now.

This:

Morrowind> Oblivion> Fallout 3> Skyrim> Fallout 4

Charts a course of continual mechanical change and even the two most similar pairs, Oblivion> Skyrim and Fallout 3> Fallout 4, are separated by other entries and major upgrades to the engine, the graphics, animations, basic gameplay tweaks etc etc.

If this time the through line between Fallout 4 to Starfield is much more direct, that's going to be a problem.

Edit: I'm not trying to doom post about a game we haven't even seen, I'm saying I reinstalled megamodded fallout 4 as recently as this year and immediately realized I'm just fundamentally still tired of/done with the gunplay. Which is fine since I've played hundreds of hours of it, but it's less fine if that same mechanical experience underpins the NEXT game too.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 6, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jack B Nimble posted:

It was and theoretically still is fine, but I'm terminally done with it and their next tent pole single player RPG really really needs to not feel like the last one, they've never done that before and it's going to be real bad if they do it now.

This:

Morrowind> Oblivion> Fallout 3> Skyrim> Fallout 4

Charts a course of continual mechanical change and even the two most similar pairs, Oblivion> Skyrim and Fallout 3> Fallout 4, are separated by other entries and major upgrades to the engine, the graphics, animations, basic gameplay tweaks etc etc.

If this time the through line between Fallout 4 to Starfield is much more direct, that's going to be a problem.

Edit: I'm not trying to doom post about a game we haven't even seen, I'm saying I reinstalled megamodded fallout 4 as recently as this year and immediately realized I'm just fundamentally still tired of/done with the gunplay. Which is fine since I've played hundreds of hours of it, but it's less fine if that same mechanical experience underpins the NEXT game too.

I’m sure there will be plenty of differences and new stuff. It’s not like there’s anything we know so far that would make you think it’s just the same so idk why anyone is worried about that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm fine with the gunplay as long as they have VATS or something for the dumb babies like me who can't shoot good.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope it feels like Destiny 2 and Halo 3 had a baby but it'll probably be lovely and the real fun will be collecting books and wives

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if it's because I'm bad at shooters or put too much time into creation kit games, but I quite enjoy the gunplay in Fallout 4. Movement overall feels pretty good to me, but some things while sprinting is jank.

But really I just want to make a spaceship to fly to some planet to make a base, and then go shoot some nameless bandits raiders space bandits so I can loot them and sell the spoils back to town, and repeat. If I get a sensible chuckle because there's a space skeleton reaching for a space beer in some derelict base, all the better.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The fundamental problem with the gunplay in FO4 is that your guns don't have enough effect on the enemies, both in that they don't react much to being shot in the face and they also don't take very much damage from being shot in the face.
And it's tricky, because if you up the amount of damage the player deals sufficiently to make the guns feel satisfyingly deadly, you run into real balance problems, which is why most of the ~*~REALISTIC DAMAGE~*~ mods for Fallout play like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
If the hyperactive turbostrafing enemies have been mildly reined in, I'll be happy.

Otherwise I expect it to feel like a Bethesda game. I can't see them deviating from the formula.