Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Let them pray, no new laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
This is the absolute worst time for a bunch of people to be taking time off work for such frivolities. Force them to work and make sure we have enough materials and combustibles to survive this storm, but enact no new laws. There will either be time to pray after the storm hits, or we'll all go meet our makers anyway.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

habituallyred posted:

Prayer and no new laws I think we are capped on coal, so it is their lucky day.

Yes

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

bbcisdabomb posted:

This is the absolute worst time for a bunch of people to be taking time off work for such frivolities. Force them to work and make sure we have enough materials and combustibles to survive this storm, but enact no new laws. There will either be time to pray after the storm hits, or we'll all go meet our makers anyway.

I mean, we're good on resources. being assholes for the sake of being assholes is kind of not cool.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The City Must Survive

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Thirty-Five (cont.) through Thirty-Seven
In these last few days before the Storm hits, we must do what we can to ensure the survival of not only the body, but the spirit.

The gatherers are given the day off to pray.

The next morning, the temperature falls to -70, not because the Storm has hit, but because its clouds are so tall and dark that we are living in its shadow!

Sir, an argument erupted between some workers last night. Some of them wanted a portion of the resources their facility produces so they can prepare for the storm. It came to blows, and though nobody was seriously injured, tensions are running high.

Some workers somehow got it into their heads that they should be entitled to the fruits of their own labour. Ridiculous! Some sort of storm-madness is spreading thr

Sir, a crowd of terrified people has stormed the stockpiles and started plundering our supplies! We managed to fight them off, but they demand Wood for heating and to reinforce their homes. We'd need 1460 Wood to supply everybody.

I was interrupted in my journaling by a panicked mob knocking down my door! When it became clear what they were after I could have laughed - we have more than enough wood to spare. The fear and desperation that are driving the people to these desperate, violent acts are anything but funny, though.

After a stiff drink to calm my nerves, it came to my attention that there are so many children living in the city now that the shelters have no more room. With one last shelter built and a guard station erected to oversee it, the city is now finished, as prepared as it can possibly be for what is to come.

The morning brings a hail of something new - ice crystals of a type we had not seen up to this point. After bringing some inside for examination and watching the crystals sublimate into nothing, the scientists informed me that this new weather phenomenon is in fact frozen carbon dioxide falling from the air itself. Every able body in the city now has standing orders to collect the frozen air and dispose of it outside the city, so that we will not all choke on blackdamp when it thaws.

The day passes without further incident. Yesterday's riots were the final outburst before a kind of horrified silence descended upon the city. I am going to turn in early tonight, that I might wake early in the morning and witness the arrival of the Storm.

A howling gale bursts upon the city and the Generator creaks and groans under the weight of the wind. Pale faces turn towards rattling windows; trembling lips utter words of prayer.
The cold will be brutal. Hunting is impossible. The soil in the Hothouses will freeze. We'll have to make do with the food we've stockpiled.

The noise was the first sign that the Storm had truly arrived. An inhuman wail woke all of us early this morning, and the howling has not abated since. Very soon after, the keening wind was joined by the hellish battery of ice and debris being hurled against every solid surface in the city, a constant drumroll which tests my faith in our steel-reinforced edifices. Our chronometers are the only confirmation that it is in fact morning. Today, the sun does not shine on us.

We've prepared well for the coming storm.
Now all that's left is to survive until it passes...

It is a full ninety degrees below freezing. Sickenly, that is not the worst news. Now that we are in the midst of the Storm, we are able to make observations and measurements that were impossible from the outside.

It's going to get worse. Much, much worse.

The city must survive. The preparations have been made. All we can do now is hope, pray... and wait.

There is nothing more we can do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

NOTE TO AUDIENCE: Play this one, it's the track from the game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I was planning to use "The City Must Survive" at a culmination of a conflict in a Dominions 5 game. My fire loving empire of Ermor (Rome with pre-Marian era armies and imperial era politics, basically) had an uneasy truce with the frost giants of Niefelheim (we were both delaying the fight because we had to deal with the quadratic Jinn blood wizards of Ubar first). The map would force our eventual, inevitable conflict to focus onto a single fortress-city, where I'd have to burn away the impossibly cold storm coming my way, or perish. Sadly, due to irl stuff, I had to sub out of that game before it came to that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shout and kill and revel in joy

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Remalle posted:

There is nothing more we can do.
House of Pleasure

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
We shouldn't throw out all that solid CO2! Think of the industrial revolution superconductors we could be making!

Mechanical Ape posted:

Horse of Pleasure

If you need to share body heat, might as well share body heat with something several times your own body weight.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The real Frostpunk starts here

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mechanical Ape posted:

House of Pleasure

Sending people out to build in this weather is madness.

Triage and pray that our preparations are enough

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Well I sure found a heck of a time to catch up with the thread.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Fun fact: The lowest officially recorded temperature on Earth ever was at an Antarctic research base, and the temperature was -89.2 C.

The Storm is starting at -90.

The City Must Survive.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Do yourself a favor - turn off the workplaces you don't need. Otherwise people might go to work anyways and get horribly frostbitten.

Because the temperature is so insanely low, I choose to believe this is wind chill.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Thirty-Eight through Forty-One?
Even now there are still measures that must be taken, things that we had never considered before the oppressive reality of the Storm settled above us.

Workers from each raw food production facility in the city, as well as the engineers from the factory, are told to stand down. There's nothing more they can do for us from there, and their homes will be warmer and safer for them.

Patrols and bulletins will be needed as often as possible; the presence of the Storm overhead has cut our morale in half.

Sir, one of our engineers wants to talk to you. He's concerned about the danger that the cold poses to our mines.
"We're doing everything we can to heat the mines, but the air we're pumping into the shafts is so cold now that the hydraulic roof supports are starting to freeze. When they do, the tunnels will start collapsing."

Then there's this; we can't adequately heat the air that's being pumped into the mines any more, and the hydraulic support beams are freezing. We never imagined things could be so cold that this would happen, so we have nothing prepared with which to mitigate this.

All in all, these sentiments sum up our situation.

Sir, it's so cold that the hydraulic roof supports in our coal mines are failing. If the tunnels collapse, the lower levels will be cut off.
We should either abandon them or send volunteers to replace the supports... but the task is extremely dangerous.

The next day, an engineer brings me a proposal that would keep the mines operating safely. It would require a lot of people to undertake an incredibly dangerous manoeuvre deep underground to replace one of the hydraulic components in each tunnel - thirty in total. According to the proposal the odds of success are actually remarkably high, but the requisite loss of life would be catastrophic. We cannot take the risk. We will let the deepest and richest coal seams collapse for now, and reopen the tunnels should conditions ever improve.

This brings our coal balance deeply into the red.

I order a couple more charcoal kilns built to compensate, but another proposal is brought to my table later that day:

Sir, the output of our Coal Mines has fallen so low that people are terrified we'll freeze during the storm.
We'd better do something about it.

It's a fairly ambitious expansion plan, which would nearly triple our current amount of coal thumpers and gathering posts. It will take a lot of manpower, mostly drawn from the laid off hunters and farmers, but it's our best shot at keeping the Generator running.

A now-empty raw food storehouse is torn down to make room for the expansion.

Though the workers only build in short, fevurish bursts before retreating back to warmth and safety, many of them are still falling victim to illness and injury. The overdrive is engaged in the Generator so that we can keep as warm as possible, but our medical system is still only barely able to handle the sixty-seven new cases that are suddenly thrown into it.

You built additional Coal Thumpers and Gathering Posts to make sure the Coal supply is secured for the duration of the storm.
People feel reassured with your decisive action.

It's soon worth it, though, as our expansion project brings renews hope to the city.

We are still slightly in the red, but when I reassign some automatons from steel mining to coal gathering duties the balance ends up nearly exactly even!

Even with all of our preparations, insulating our houses as much as we could and outputting as much heat as physically possible from the Generator, the cold still seeps into everybody's homes when the temperature plummets again. A hundred and twenty degrees below zero. Thankfully the medical buildings are still keeping warm, but there is almost nowhere else left in the city where one can escape the chill. Worse, the Generator is nearing its stress limit. I will have to turn the Overdrive off soon.
As I am bundling up to make the trek out to hit the switch, I am interrupted by another report.

Sir, one of our engineers has come crashing through the door, white-faced, demanding to see you.
"I've run the calculations with the new data. The storm will pass in a couple of days. But... the temperature just before the end will drop drastically!"
Nothing can protect us from such cold. Panic is starting to spread and people are losing all hope.

I can't bring myself to feel good about this news. On the one hand, it is projected that the Storm is going to let up in just a few days. We only need to wait out a few more days. On the other hand, in two days, the temperature will drop one last time before the Storm's departure, one final assault.

Another thirty degrees.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At what point do we have trouble with the air pressure outside dropping so low it's impossible to keep the buildings pressurised?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The Lone Badger posted:

At what point do we have trouble with the air pressure outside dropping so low it's impossible to keep the buildings pressurised?

Nitrogen doesn't condensate until -195 and oxygen at around -183, so things seem ok on the raw elemental point.

We are however losing liquid Butane (lighter/stove fuel gas) which freezes at -140, chlorine (the gas liquified back at -34 and is now frozen at -101.5), Ethanol (alcohol) at -114 (Methanol, the bad alcohol, at -97.6).

Hank Hill be praised, the propaine remains liquid until -188 C but good luck using it.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Archenteron posted:

Ethanol (alcohol) at -114
This is the real reason all that hard-earned Hope disappeared.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Honestly, at these temps, all the steel reinforced structures should start collapsing as the steel freeze to the point of brittleness. The generator might be okay since it's the source of the heat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I would think at this point they would be losing atmosphereic pressure and people are turning into icicles due to the ridious cold, and it's to the point you could probably cover the city with a dome or even partially cover the city with a dome, or a partial dome, and it would help with the cold.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Striking the earth would be a good strategy too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I just looked it up and average global temperature during the last ice age are estimated to have been 6c which just puts in perspective just how hosed the world is ingame.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Take note that this might not be atmospheric temperature as well, but temperature with windchill.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Lone Badger posted:

Striking the earth would be a good strategy too.

Nekikgor "Coldnesshole", a statue.

It is decorated with polished coal. The object menaces with spikes of steel.

On the item is an image of an engineer in granite. The engineer is freezing. The item relates to the large storm in Deathpit in the winter of 124.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Having Remalle do a dwarf fortress re-creation of frostpunk sounds interesting.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
You know, I don't think the Londoners would've made it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They would have made for fine snowmen

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity, if you knew from prior experience or out of game knowledge that there would be this “quest” to build the new facilities in these temperatures, could you prep in advance and have them ready, or is it entirely conditional as part of the storm event?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Tortolia posted:

Out of curiosity, if you knew from prior experience or out of game knowledge that there would be this “quest” to build the new facilities in these temperatures, could you prep in advance and have them ready, or is it entirely conditional as part of the storm event?
In my test run I actually built the thumpers too early, and when I got the quest would have then had to find the space for two more. Interestingly, in the actual recording I did notice some of the gathering posts didn't count towards the six new gathering posts requirement until coal was actually available for them to collect; I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect you could have the facilities pre-built but unstaffed and they would count towards the quest requirements when you made them active.

SugarAddict posted:

Having Remalle do a dwarf fortress re-creation of frostpunk sounds interesting.
...you know, that's actually a fantastic idea. Glacier fort, dug out crater, with central magma heating? I'll have to keep that in mind.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Remalle posted:

...you know, that's actually a fantastic idea. Glacier fort, dug out crater, with central magma heating? I'll have to keep that in mind.

Strike the earth!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Those quests and any other ones that are "build x number of buildings" is always "on top of what you have existing"

Notably I had a run where I didn't use any advanced buildings (its an achievement) and I didn't get the coal mines event, I suspect it won't fire if you only have level 1 mines as they are not deep enough or something?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, as cool as the sequence is, the temperature being in Fahrenheit probably would have made more sense. As already mentioned, the coldest ever recorded temperature on Earth was just shy of -90 C, and that was at ~11,000 ft in the middle of Antarctica. As-is, we've still got people somehow wandering around outside in this weather.

Jetrauben posted:

Do yourself a favor - turn off the workplaces you don't need. Otherwise people might go to work anyways and get horribly frostbitten.

Because the temperature is so insanely low, I choose to believe this is wind chill.

Ironically, just keeping them in their workplaces as much as possible can be better then leaving them home, because a fair few of the workplaces are actually notably warmer than houses when you've got all the upgrades.

Tortolia posted:

There's also the option of just ignoring Coal Mines entirely (or tearing them down later) and only building thumpers or charcoal kilns from the get-go. And really don't think too hard on how thumpers are still working despite using compressed water, in conditions where hydraulic fluid is freezing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The fighting arenas are still good though right

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Kinetic energy is still heat, right? What I'm hearing is we need to send the Horse of Pleasure into the fighting pits to warm everyone up.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
Those steam hubs seem to be the biggest consumers, I'd try to trim some of them before increasing coal production. One thing I noticed is that heaters are often much better value than steam hubs when it comes to heat per building. The only things you really need to heat 100% are the houses, hospital and child shelters, assuming you have some coal stockpiled and some automatons to run the mines.

Also, yes, underground. At a certain point it's genuinely surprising that they aren't building underground housing, no matter how frozen the ground is supposed to be. It would be much easier to keep heated than their above ground arrangement.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
One of the truly bizarre choices in this game is that you can build however many fighting pits as you want... but only a single pub.

How does that logic track?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

One of the truly bizarre choices in this game is that you can build however many fighting pits as you want... but only a single pub.

How does that logic track?

people will only walk SO far to punch each other in the face, they will go the distance for booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

By popular demand posted:

I just looked it up and average global temperature during the last ice age are estimated to have been 6c which just puts in perspective just how hosed the world is ingame.

It's so much worse than that. The recent glaciation periods are pretty mild compared to some points in Earth's past.

The temperatures in the game are on par or maybe a little worse than the Cryogenian Period, 720-635 million years ago - before life had really started leaning into this whole "multicellular" thing. During most of this period, the planet was nearly entirely covered by ice sheets, with the exception of a "slush belt" around the Equator that was seasonally ice-free. It's one of several known "Snowball Earth" time periods, and likely one of the worst. Causes are not agreed upon but could include the removal of CO2 from the atmosphere by a boom in algae photosynthesis (causing a drop in the Greenhouse Effect), or a series of supervolcano eruptions putting enough sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere to block incoming solar radiation. Either of those could have gotten bad enough to cause a positive feedback loop as the ice spread and the albedo of the planet's surface would increase, reflecting even more solar radiation back out.

Average planetary temperature is estimated to be around -12°C, and keep in mind The Pit is at a pretty far northern latitude.

It's as cold as it's ever been in the entire geological history of the Earth. The Cryogenian Period only ended when background volcanism had spewed enough CO2 and methane into the atmosphere to give the Greenhouse Effect a kick in the pants and start melting the ice. That took 85 million years.

Good luck, Remalle.