Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's funny how the Cardassians are missing the forest for the trees, except for Damar. "Why bring Kira, you spent all your time on Terak Nor complaining about her?" "Because she was KICKING OUR rear end! She's clearly VERY good at this, and we need that skill ourselves now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

My favorite scene in DS9 is the mid-scene cut to

Thot Gor: *unintelligible garbage sound*

Weyoun: Ohohoho hahah you are so funny Thot Gor - oh hi Damar I didn’t see you there :smug:

I'd like to think that was the moment that Damar actually joined the Cardassian resistance and resolved to make sure every other person in that room died horribly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Laas is such a loving dickhead, I guess that's just how they naturally are. Hertzler's great in that role. Agreed on the Vic stuff, I love the Vic stuff, all of it, I love that guy. Though I'm surprised Quark allows a better bar to go on within his bar.

I assume he not only charges rent but still serves all the drinks anyways.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's really satisfying in episode 21 of the final season where Dukat overreaches, gets blinded by his own Gods, then Kai Winn's just like "gently caress off out of my office, especially after you had intimate relations with me under a false name. At the very least Bajor is a very nice place to find yourself blind and homeless"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can't tell if "eat a pile of edibles before binging episodes" is working exactly perfectly or not, but holy gently caress "If Wishes were Horses" was another out there episode. I kind of figured it was a first contact scenario, and then the conference between the imagined creatures confirmed it for me before the reveal at the end. This is another episode with a really unique premise but come the gently caress on with this Rumpelstiltskin poo poo.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't tell if "eat a pile of edibles before binging episodes" is working exactly perfectly or not, but holy gently caress "If Wishes were Horses" was another out there episode. I kind of figured it was a first contact scenario, and then the conference between the imagined creatures confirmed it for me before the reveal at the end. This is another episode with a really unique premise but come the gently caress on with this Rumpelstiltskin poo poo.

would the white rabbit from alice in wonderland be more plausible? that one shows up in two episodes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was going to be a leprechaun but run Colm Meamy was like “gently caress off”

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Atlas Hugged posted:

People meme on Move Along Home but this is the real season 1 clunker episode

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Duet is pretty fun. Watching that now.

Dramatis Personae had a good premise, but it's tough to do an episode where everyone is acting out of character when the actors haven't quite nailed down the base personalities. B for effort.

And it's weird because Kira's accusations in Dramatis Personae are meant to be wildly out of line and paranoid even though she could have been completely correct.

Then she does the same thing in Duet based on a strong hunch and everyone takes her seriously.

It's just weird how they both have Kira jumping to conclusions but treat it entirely differently and also aired them right after each other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finished DS9. The stuff with Cardassia was pretty satisfying, although with harrowing results in the long term. I also like that the transformation of Ferenginar is an inevitability, because eventually people stop accepting the bullshit and fight against it, and Zek takes note after falling in love with one of them, and then starts paying attention to the state of things. The changes probably weren't ALL due to Quark's mother, after all, Zek noticed that some dingus failed to properly observe safety protocols and plunged his capital into acid rain. Also the new consortium of Ferengi that pass or veto new laws have agreed with all the positive changes, so clearly Quark and Brunt's attitude was an outlier and most ferengi wanted things to get better.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 6, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is it just me, or does DS9 have a disproportionate amount of episodes that are mindfucks that reset to status quo at the end of the ep? O'Brien gets like a half dozen episodes where that's the case.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah but it’s just O’Brien. He’s used to it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

It was going to be a leprechaun but run Colm Meamy was like “gently caress feck off”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finished DS9. The stuff with Cardassia was pretty satisfying, although with harrowing results in the long term. I also like that the transformation of Ferenginar is an inevitability, because eventually people stop accepting the bullshit and fight against it, and Zek takes note after falling in love with one of them, and then starts paying attention to the state of things. The changes probably weren't ALL due to Quark's mother, after all, Zek noticed that some dingus failed to properly observe safety protocols and plunged his capital into acid rain. Also the new consortium of Ferengi that pass or veto new laws have agreed with all the positive changes, so clearly Quark and Brunt's attitude was an outlier and most ferengi wanted things to get better.

Frengis went WOKE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the gag where Quark quotes Picard's "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!" line in frustration.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Frengis went WOKE
Quark in an oversized MFGA hat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the gag where Quark quotes Picard's "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!" line in frustration.

i wish he had said "this bar, no farther"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"And I... will make them pay, for what they've drank!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's fun when you realise of ALL the ferengi in the series, QUARK's the idiot. Or at least he's short sighted. Nog and Rom have the good sense to break out of their molds before their molds break them, Zek notes the wisdom of changing the laws to be fair and affect a lasting change, Rom and Zek completely recognise why the new rules are good for the Ferengi in the long run ("52% of the population have been sitting idle and will now be able to stimulate the economy" is a thing that Zek notices once Quark's mother gets him to change that rule), Brunt is the ultimate Lawful Evil in that he sees where the wind is blowing and follows it to his own comfort regardless of his actual views. Quark on the other hand is so focused on his version of Ferenginar that he's not able to notice that he's hurting himself because his staff hate him.

I love the exchange where he's so focused on whining about the new laws that Rom is able to easily weasel the bar out from under him, while Rom is also noticing the positive effects that those same laws will have in the long run.

"We can't even dump our waste anymore because we have to care about the environment. I mean, I have to care about animals now? They roll around in the dirt and sleep in trees it's not natural!"
"It could be argued that our ecosystem is a precious resource that should be able to be enjoyed by all, now what about the bar?"
"What's even the point of running a business if you can't get sexual favours from your employees..."
"An unharassed worker is a productive worker. Now WHAT ABOUT THE BAR?!"

I also love the Ferengi mirror universe episode with the cloaking device, particularly for Mirror Garak being totally schooled by rom. "Does this look like a double-flanged decoupler to you? Do you want this device installing or not? How does ANYTHING get done on this stupid ship!?"

Also when all the Ferengi start comparing Mirror Garak to their own and claiming their versions better at his job to rile him up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quark's not an idiot, he's just cross pressured. All the other ferengi are on the Enlightened side (Rom, Moogie, Pel, Nog) or on the Greed side (Liquidator Brunt, FCA, all the other ones we ever see). Quark is just in that transition from evil to enlightened, which means that he needs to make a lot of mistakes in order to realize the shortcomings of Pure Ferengi Thought.

There's also a very, very old folk tale structure where a lovable but simple oaf is able to win against the shrewd, conniving chiseler and I think they're tapping into that big time with the Rom/Quark dynamic

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's fair. I also like the comedic bits in the finale where Rom becomes Nagus and Brunt keeps trying to approach to toady up to him only to be physically removed by another character, initially being physically sat down by Zek's bodyguard's hand on his shoulder, then with Nog spinning him in another direction by nudging his elbow to force him off the platform.

I also find it fun to overanalyse the Ferengi's unique teeth for each character. Quark's teeth are the same length, evenly distributed throughout his mouth and very traditionally placed as a result. They look fierce, but tempered because he's not as ruthless as he wants to think he is. Rom's teeth are kind of all over the place, lying about his jaw lackadaisically and making him seem very disarming when he smiles. Brunt's teeth are longer than the others, and his mouth is in a much more constant snarl even when he's smiling. They are fewer in number, but larger and more intimidating. Nog's teeth are arranged symmetrically, but distributed strangely. They are completely straight, but seem to be clustered more in the middle and on the edges of his upper jaw, making it seem like he has fewer teeth although the other ones are just hidden in his gums. The strange layout plays with the idea that his path for a Ferengi will be a weird one for a ferengi, but just how rigid and straight they otherwise are plays with his eventual military career. (I'm not being serious in this paragraph, I'm just having fun)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 6, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Is Strange New Worlds worth watching? I couldn't make it through the last season of Picard or Discovery.

e: poo poo sorry, wrong thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve never seen the turtleneck undersuit they wore in Voyager, and it looks really comfortable??

This was Garrett Wang’s, and answers the question of how they peed.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is Strange New Worlds worth watching? I couldn't make it through the last season of Picard or Discovery.

e: poo poo sorry, wrong thread.

SNW is very good, and is outstanding when compared to PIC/DSC.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve never seen the turtleneck undersuit they wore in Voyager, and it looks really comfortable??

This was Garrett Wang’s, and answers the question of how they peed.

Is this the one with the extra sweat absorbant padding stitched in?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have finished season 1. I could have done without the slow motion "Noooo!" from Sisko, but overall very satisfying first season.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have finished season 1. I could have done without the slow motion "Noooo!" from Sisko, but overall very satisfying first season.

On the contrary I think there needs to be more slow motion "nooooo"s in Star Trek and media in general

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BioEnchanted posted:

It's fun when you realise of ALL the ferengi in the series, QUARK's the idiot. Or at least he's short sighted. Nog and Rom have the good sense to break out of their molds before their molds break them, Zek notes the wisdom of changing the laws to be fair and affect a lasting change, Rom and Zek completely recognise why the new rules are good for the Ferengi in the long run ("52% of the population have been sitting idle and will now be able to stimulate the economy" is a thing that Zek notices once Quark's mother gets him to change that rule), Brunt is the ultimate Lawful Evil in that he sees where the wind is blowing and follows it to his own comfort regardless of his actual views. Quark on the other hand is so focused on his version of Ferenginar that he's not able to notice that he's hurting himself because his staff hate him.

I also have a feeling that Quark is...look, a lot of the Ferengi Mega-Capitalism is actually the state religion. Quark is a religious fundamentalist that doesn't realize all of the other Ferengi putting their latinum into the collection box in the FCA waiting room are just going through the motions for tradition and state religion reasons more than a true belief. He's so in to it that he has no idea no one else really is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sash! posted:

I also have a feeling that Quark is...look, a lot of the Ferengi Mega-Capitalism is actually the state religion. Quark is a religious fundamentalist that doesn't realize all of the other Ferengi putting their latinum into the collection box in the FCA waiting room are just going through the motions for tradition and state religion reasons more than a true belief. He's so in to it that he has no idea no one else really is.

Or, put another way, he's Worf.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

yes exactly that

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There were a lot of great Odo moments and episodes in season 1, but my biggest problem with them is that the more time we spend with Odo, the less impressive his makeup is. I'm sure this is one of those things that wasn't such a big deal when it was on broadcast TV in the 90s, but it really stands out here. Quark, the Klingons, and the other aliens have looked fantastic in their prosthetics, but Odo looks like a Muppet, I'm sorry.

On the SD note, I was watching an episode last night with my wife and she was curious about the extras walking around the promenade, which got me to pay a bit more attention to them, and yeah you can see Morn on a loop in the far back, popping up every couple of minutes while Quark or whoever are talking. It'd be less obviously him if it were a vaguely alien smudge in the mid-90s, but on Netflix it's very clearly the same guy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Atlas Hugged posted:

There were a lot of great Odo moments and episodes in season 1, but my biggest problem with them is that the more time we spend with Odo, the less impressive his makeup is. I'm sure this is one of those things that wasn't such a big deal when it was on broadcast TV in the 90s, but it really stands out here. Quark, the Klingons, and the other aliens have looked fantastic in their prosthetics, but Odo looks like a Muppet, I'm sorry.

On the SD note, I was watching an episode last night with my wife and she was curious about the extras walking around the promenade, which got me to pay a bit more attention to them, and yeah you can see Morn on a loop in the far back, popping up every couple of minutes while Quark or whoever are talking. It'd be less obviously him if it were a vaguely alien smudge in the mid-90s, but on Netflix it's very clearly the same guy.

Not that I need to constantly defend DS9's honor, but both of those things sound like they're supposed to be that way?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I also find it fun to overanalyse the Ferengi's unique teeth for each character. Quark's teeth are the same length, evenly distributed throughout his mouth and very traditionally placed as a result. They look fierce, but tempered because he's not as ruthless as he wants to think he is. Rom's teeth are kind of all over the place, lying about his jaw lackadaisically and making him seem very disarming when he smiles. Brunt's teeth are longer than the others, and his mouth is in a much more constant snarl even when he's smiling. They are fewer in number, but larger and more intimidating. Nog's teeth are arranged symmetrically, but distributed strangely. They are completely straight, but seem to be clustered more in the middle and on the edges of his upper jaw, making it seem like he has fewer teeth although the other ones are just hidden in his gums. The strange layout plays with the idea that his path for a Ferengi will be a weird one for a ferengi, but just how rigid and straight they otherwise are plays with his eventual military career. (I'm not being serious in this paragraph, I'm just having fun)

Is this the Ferengi version of phrenology?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Lol that would make him so mad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sir Lemming posted:

Not that I need to constantly defend DS9's honor, but both of those things sound like they're supposed to be that way?

With Odo, it's a fine line between wanting to embrace uncanny valley because he's only imitating what he thinks a human is supposed to look like, and he only does so imperfectly after having spent years practicing, and also just looking like a guy in makeup. The makeup works best when he's only in a scene briefly and the camera doesn't linger on him too much, but the more time he's on screen, the more obvious it is that he's not a Changling struggling to appear humanoid, but a dude in makeup.

For the second, it's very much "The Truman Show" where you have the same people walking the same loops in the background. You don't notice it because it's not a detail you're supposed to focus on, but when you start counting the faces and looking to see if anyone repeats, it becomes more obvious that there are only 20 people on this station, not the hundreds that the show wants you to believe. I figure they use Morn because the makeup is pretty intense and they want to get as much use out of him as they can, but watching him walk the same direction more than once in a scene is funny when you start looking for it.

I'd like to stress that these are not major criticisms of the show. They're artifacts of being 90s television. They stand out to me now in the context of 2023 and HD televisions, but they're not deal breakers and are in fact kind of quaint.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

zoux posted:

Lol that would make him so mad

It would make both of them mad. Dax would be the one to tell both of them

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Is this the Ferengi version of phrenology?

It's more that the Ferengi make up was created by people, and so was deliberately designed to give each one a unique take on the appearence.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

With Odo, it's a fine line between wanting to embrace uncanny valley because he's only imitating what he thinks a human is supposed to look like, and he only does so imperfectly after having spent years practicing, and also just looking like a guy in makeup. The makeup works best when he's only in a scene briefly and the camera doesn't linger on him too much, but the more time he's on screen, the more obvious it is that he's not a Changling struggling to appear humanoid, but a dude in makeup.

For the second, it's very much "The Truman Show" where you have the same people walking the same loops in the background. You don't notice it because it's not a detail you're supposed to focus on, but when you start counting the faces and looking to see if anyone repeats, it becomes more obvious that there are only 20 people on this station, not the hundreds that the show wants you to believe. I figure they use Morn because the makeup is pretty intense and they want to get as much use out of him as they can, but watching him walk the same direction more than once in a scene is funny when you start looking for it.

I'd like to stress that these are not major criticisms of the show. They're artifacts of being 90s television. They stand out to me now in the context of 2023 and HD televisions, but they're not deal breakers and are in fact kind of quaint.

they do change odo's makeup at some point, although i don't remember when exactly. you get used to it, and the later iterations look better

also, you don't learn this in season 1, but morn is supposed to be in quark's bar all the time. that's basically his entire characterization: he's quark's best customer. in a much later episode quark even dedicates a seat to him because everyone thinks he's dead. it's a running gag and very much intentional

e: extremely minor spoiler i guess

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Beeftweeter posted:

they do change odo's makeup at some point, although i don't remember when exactly. you get used to it, and the later iterations look better

also, you don't learn this in season 1, but morn is supposed to be in quark's bar all the time. that's basically his entire characterization: he's quark's best customer. in a much later episode quark even dedicates a seat to him because everyone thinks he's dead. it's a running gag and very much intentional

e: extremely minor spoiler i guess

For Morn, it's not that I see him in Quark's a lot. I mean specifically, he's a background character walking around the promenade on a loop with the other extras. Him being a barfly and in shots at Quark's is fine and we've already established that about his character by the end of season 1. My point is more that as a random alien extra walking around the promenade, it wouldn't be so obvious that it was the same dude walking in the same direction in SD, but in HD he's clearly on a track and in the scene because they want the promenade to look diverse and lively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s not Morn walking in a circle, it’s Morn walking in a circle because he’s incredibly drunk.