Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

yeah i mostly work with doug fir

well lord knows we got plenty of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ive seen a few cool coast live oak live edge coffee tables, that sort of thing. but the big slabs seem really expensive because of how rare the straight-ish ones are.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

id like a coast live oak end table or something, some day. i have a particular affinity for that tree.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what about california bay laurel? is that any good for wood working

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

turners like it but i've never seen a piece of it longer than like 18". The dont grow straight or big.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

did someone say live oak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH37Dep0cvU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

This is a very cool project I hope to see it at the port townsend wooden boat show later this year (they haven’t said they’ll be there but their shop is in port townsend so I just assume)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the russians do a lot of things bad, but theyre pretty good at wood

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Props to the rebel that took a photo of that statue in spite of the sign

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

they have a lot of it over there, in Siberia

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

its me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:toot:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ADINSX posted:

This is a very cool project I hope to see it at the port townsend wooden boat show later this year (they haven’t said they’ll be there but their shop is in port townsend so I just assume)

Oh poo poo. I always wanted to go to Port Townsend this seems like a good excuse.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Bloody posted:

yeah i mostly work with doug fir

woah! haven’t hard about that guy since college, how is old Fir-dawg?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
we had a lovely gate for our driveway that I’ve needed to replace for years. the recent ice storm took it out and forced my hand. I bought a nice hardware kit for a new one, but I’m trying to decide on what kind of wood to use. the kit/plans call for dimensional lumber, so my options are kind of restricted (i intend to follow the directions because i want it to look nice and while i could put something decent together it wouldn’t look the best).

what should i use?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bunch of trees fell over in the recent windstorms and I have a bunch of eucalyptus logs in my driveway

internet tells me its hard to dry, which means itll crack a lot, so i think these logs are destined for outdoor furniture, but i think i may gather up a few more and try making some boards out of em just for funsies.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

we had a lovely gate for our driveway that I’ve needed to replace for years. the recent ice storm took it out and forced my hand. I bought a nice hardware kit for a new one, but I’m trying to decide on what kind of wood to use. the kit/plans call for dimensional lumber, so my options are kind of restricted (i intend to follow the directions because i want it to look nice and while i could put something decent together it wouldn’t look the best).

what should i use?

mahogany

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

PokeJoe posted:

mahogany

mahagany

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

PokeJoe posted:

mahogany

is this a real answer or a meme answer?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

when i was little i used to confuse mahogany and naugahyde. :kiddo:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

is this a real answer or a meme answer?

It's a meme answer I'm afraid

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Real advice: use construction lumber and paint it.

Or use cedar. It's lightweight and good at being outside.

I'm sorry you've been waiting months to fix your gate because you were awaiting my wonderful advice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cedar is the right way to go imo but pressure treated is ok too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

redwood might also be nice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

missed this one. Actually fart, cinnamon is the bark of a tree. So its really not wood per se but its literally wood-adjacent. Great question!

thanks u

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

what should i use?

how many dimensions has ur lumber got? 3D wood seems to be the most common but is it the best

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Real advice: use construction lumber and paint it.

Or use cedar. It's lightweight and good at being outside.

I'm sorry you've been waiting months to fix your gate because you were awaiting my wonderful advice

i think i am indeed going to use cedar. now the true decision: do i stain it or let it weather?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

how many dimensions has ur lumber got? 3D wood seems to be the most common but is it the best

wow check out dr. who over here with this galaxy brain bs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a real stephen hawking over here. a real michi o’kaku.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mods namechange to ”michi otaku” ty

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

President Beep posted:

i think i am indeed going to use cedar. now the true decision: do i stain it or let it weather?

stain it imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wood is what comes forms from trees

timber is what you make into things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cant help reading this in a kiwi accent and it is very funny to me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

put deck stain on it for longevity. if you want you can let it weather and then stain it later and it will look shittier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

stain it imo

surely a decent stain is a form of protection

when my mums house got fixed after the bad eqarthquakes here some moron (they were hiring anyone with more than 3 limbs to be a painter) painted over the oil based stain with water based paint

for years this caused all sorts of issues like white stuff oozing out of the paint and also ky mum wanted stain because restraining is a hell of an easier job than repainting

anyway a billion calls to insurance, finally a third party assessor and etc and they’ve concluded to fix things back to where they should be they’re going to have to reclad THE WHOLE HOUSE and because it was cedar she can choose something cheaper if she wants so she’s using some new composite board that looks like weather board and because they have to replace things up to modern standards too I think it means double glazing now too and perhaps the roof itself!!

literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to give a 70s timber frame house a do-up that no one would ever do outside of a situation like this. all because of some morons decision to use the wrong paint a decade ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

cant help reading this in a kiwi accent and it is very funny to me

timbah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, okay. gomna stain it i think. it’d be nice to make the post match the gate so i can stain that too. i can stain the whole fence! ahahahaa!!! :sickos:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

think;ing of a yospos chair thread crossover event. dimensional lumbar support. chairs made of oak. that type of thign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

homemade office chairs: the herman miller moron