Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

codo27 posted:

Can you explain a little more about this? I'm not holding my breath for fibre in my area but I sure hope it does come soon and I'll want to continue to use my own setup, or upgrade to something besides the dubious homehub

If you get "lucky" and get a plan that uses the HomeHub 3000 (which only works up to 1.5gbps) then you can pull the fiber adapter board (SFP+ adapter) out of the Bell equipment and stick it in things it's compatible with like many PC network cards or the Unifi Dream Machine Pro and completely bypass their garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

codo27 posted:

Can you explain a little more about this? I'm not holding my breath for fibre in my area but I sure hope it does come soon and I'll want to continue to use my own setup, or upgrade to something besides the dubious homehub

Less Fat Luke posted:

If you get "lucky" and get a plan that uses the HomeHub 3000 (which only works up to 1.5gbps) then you can pull the fiber adapter board (SFP+ adapter) out of the Bell equipment and stick it in things it's compatible with like many PC network cards or the Unifi Dream Machine Pro and completely bypass their garbage.

Most new installs get the HomeHub 4k or whatever the latest gen is, and you cannot bypass these without buying your own ONT*. You can just set up your own equipment to dial the PPPoE session though, and it will pass through the HomeHub and you probably won't notice any performance limitations.

*See:

Perplx posted:

The gpon is soldered on. You buy this thing Azores 1x 10GbE 1x 2.5GbE Intel Based XGSPON ONT and telnet in to configure it. They are currently figuring out how to get vlan 36 working for iptv and phone. There is a discord but I don't know how you join it now. I might hold out until they figure out an sfp solution.

Otherwise, if you get a business service, they use the Nokia ethernet ONTs and you can just plug whatever you want into it. Right now this is a pretty good deal because they're doing 940/940 for about $65/mo. on a 36 month term.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
I am curious about an apartment building install. TELUS was just here and ran fibre through our common staircases to each unit. But it’s weird. I’ve never seen this before.

There are two wires leading into it horizontally, from a vertical wall-mounted conduit. Nothing internal.

The wiring is hard to read but I see:
LIGHT MULTIFIBER CORD
APHW-012M-DRW-4-12-250-2.0mm
and that’s about it.

Anyway, my question is: does anyone else have an install like this? How did they run the fibre inside? Just drill a hole above your door on the inside, connect a fibre inside your place and run it to wherever it’s wanted?

Ideally, I’m just hoping for a line of fibre and an ONT I can plug into my Mikrotik, but the way the strata was talking about it, it started sounding like Telus would put the “boxes” (routers? Demarcs?) in the hallways, which is… not really possible because there’s no power outlets. I was away when it happened so I didn’t get a chance to talk to the installer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

infernal machines posted:

Most new installs get the HomeHub 4k or whatever the latest gen is, and you cannot bypass these without buying your own ONT*. You can just set up your own equipment to dial the PPPoE session though, and it will pass through the HomeHub and you probably won't notice any performance limitations.
I did that eight years ago when Bell used a separate media converter ahead of a HH2/3 and the PPPoE performance on a high-end Netgear was bad enough that I ended up doing double NAT + DMZ.

I’ve been on condo fibre in two locations since, and while I rarely hit my advertised 1Gbps I also haven’t had to call support in two years or haggle my price in seven. Even the support I did contact was one guy who promptly answered his e-mails and would entertain any weird debug request I asked of him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Telus is canvassing my area for pure fibre signups with a pretty great deal of 1Gbps symmetric, basic cable and some home automation and doorbell cam for $20 less than what I was paying for just shaw 1Gbps. Plus credits worth about double my cancellation fee. Pretty good deal I felt so signed up.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

experienceBeej posted:

, my question is: does anyone else have an install like this? How did they run the fibre inside? Just drill a hole above your door on the inside, connect a fibre inside your place and run it to wherever it’s wanted?

Every building retrofit is different for cable paths. But it's fibre, so there is no power required in the halls. The cable you reference probably has 12 strands in it (fibre is small!).

They'll drill a hole into your unit at some point if you order the service and pull a cable that has a single strand and attach it to the distribution box. The demarc will be in your unit and then you can plug your gear into that device (which will need power).

It's easy to install into the common areas, access to individual units is much harder to coordinate.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

infernal machines posted:

*See:

Otherwise, if you get a business service, they use the Nokia ethernet ONTs and you can just plug whatever you want into it. Right now this is a pretty good deal because they're doing 940/940 for about $65/mo. on a 36 month term.

Think I'm paying $78+tax for 300/10. I've been told by Bell's techs that they have whatever the unit is in the hub in my town, they just need to run the fibre through the town, which they aren't keen on cause there aren't enough customers to be worth their while. I was hoping they'd come around this year but I have my doubts. There are still people on DSL from Bell which in most cases doesn't even get 5mbps, even though they could get what I have for about the same as they are paying. Maybe less in some cases.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

unknown posted:

Every building retrofit is different for cable paths. But it's fibre, so there is no power required in the halls. The cable you reference probably has 12 strands in it (fibre is small!).

They'll drill a hole into your unit at some point if you order the service and pull a cable that has a single strand and attach it to the distribution box. The demarc will be in your unit and then you can plug your gear into that device (which will need power).

It's easy to install into the common areas, access to individual units is much harder to coordinate.

This 100%. Telus will use a Nokia ONT on prem and you should be able to hook your mikrotik into there.

Depending on what your building looks like, they don't really give a gently caress how they run it to the different units. In apartment style MDU, I've heard they'll kind of mount the fiber up in the corner on the main hallway on each floor and penetrate into the units from there.

If you're in like a condo situation where everyone gets their own outside entrance, they'll most likely run fiber through the attic and down into the unit ceilings.

Brownfield is tough, but you'll never catch a builder spending money on "useless" stuff like conduit.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So the problem was the Fibre cable at the box where it goes into the wall. Not, as 3 different phone tech support people told me, the modem. JFC.

Yeah I'm gonna go full Karen because this poo poo is ridiculous.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
edit: wrong thread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got my Telus Purefibre install and everything is running pretty well. So it has a fibre pon/modem and router kind of all integrated, with a few ethernet ports on it. I have one ethernet going to my netgear router which is going from a 192.168 on the telus to a 10.0.0.x on the router.

Is there any bridge setup that can be done on this? Is there any issue with just running a router after the telus router (double nat?)

The telus info just talks about the wifi like the wired stuff doesn’t even exist.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I got my Telus Purefibre install and everything is running pretty well. So it has a fibre pon/modem and router kind of all integrated, with a few ethernet ports on it. I have one ethernet going to my netgear router which is going from a 192.168 on the telus to a 10.0.0.x on the router.

Is there any bridge setup that can be done on this? Is there any issue with just running a router after the telus router (double nat?)

The telus info just talks about the wifi like the wired stuff doesn’t even exist.

Double NAT sucks. There should be a way to get bridge mode unless that's not a thing anymore.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh cool, I found the admin page and there is a setting that sets "port 1 bridge" so you can have the wifi still hanging off the telus modem (so you can attach the home automation and tv box to that) and have port1 bridged to the router. It also has a 10G port bridge setting too if I go up to a 2.5G+ plan and have a router that supports that speed!

The toughest part was prying the cover off the fuckin' thing to get at the login password.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I know for Bell peeps have been setting up a DMZ and putting their own router on that to bypass the HomeHubs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That port 1 bridge works great, router wan port is the internet ip etc.

They don’t make it super obvious but one you get into the router it’s pretty easy!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Does anyone have Shaw Fibre+ with their Bluecurve modem? I kind of want to switch to it but I can't find any reliable documentation on if you can put the thing in bridge mode and shut off the wifi. I have a Sophos XG appliance and a couple old enterprise AP's in the ceiling I would rather use than whatever toy router Shaw puts in their gateway.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You can bridge it in the modem settings.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Awesome, thanks!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Should we get excited to see horizontal drilling equipment where we live? :pray:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Should we get excited to see horizontal drilling equipment where we live? :pray:

Potentially. If there's a LEDCOR truck or two nearby, then it's probably PureFibre and you should definitely be excited -- LEDCOR is Telus' main contractor for running fibre.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a final update to the MTS Saga - my new bill just came in and it's $123.00 so.. cool, I guess. I hate giving them money but it's all I got out here for now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Speaking of drilling,

So I'm pouring some concrete in for a couple of corner fence posts so I'll be auguring down about 3' for the holes.

I know nothing was within at least a few feet of the services, but a one call/dial before you dig was the proper move... but Mrs. Slidebite being a professional land surveyor beat me to the punch and put in the request.

Get a call Weds afternoon from the line locator about 3PM saying "Hey, I'm at your property, just confirming what you're doing" so I tell him, and he's yeah, no problem. "I located it out in case you were moving closer to your services, you're good to go"

All is done and I can start drilling this weekend.

About 45 minutes later I get a call from Mrs. Slidebite.

"So.... the internet is out. Can you tell me what to do?"

Well, poo poo. I ask her when it happened. Coincidentally, about 30-45 min ago. gently caress.

We both work from home. Me primarily, her exclusively. So it's more than a slight inconvenience.

Go home, do the standard reset, see red lights on the fiber modem thingie. No change.

I call the 1 call guy back as I have his # since he called me. I tell him and he's like "Well, I can't see how I effected anything, but I'm still in the area I'll come back and take a look"

He comes back, opens the small plastic box on the side of the house the fiber comes into, initially can't see anything but after moving stuff around he sees he broke the fibre. He feels terrible about it and owns it.

He immediately tries to call his contacts to get a Telus guy to fix it, no luck. Calls his boss, his boss tells him that I have to call Telus, they'll call them (the locators) to do a damage assessment, they'll have to file the assessment and then Telus will dispatch a repair guy.

And there is no way around it.

I call Telus and get put through automated hell. Finally get a guy who clearly doesn't understand what exactly happened when I explain it. Eventually sinks into him that it's *their* contractor and *they* broke it, and he knows exactly where the break is. He's literally still on site waiting in his truck for orders.

On the phone for literally 90 minutes. Telus guy says it'll be 24-48 hours. Yes he understands (do you, really?) but that's the fastest they can do it.

Sigh.

20 hours later get a call back when I'm in a meeting so I can't answer the phone, so I return their call (more automated hell as he gave me no direct # to call). Finally get a hold of a lady again from another call center. She sees the notes, I bring her up to speed to ensure she understands. Hold for literally an hour (spread around 10 min per time). Gets back to me. Good news! I have an appointment! It's next week! The 24-48 hours was the wait to get an appointment to get it fixed, not to actually fix it!

I am incensed. I am taking absolute pains to not take frustration out on her because she is pleasant enough and just trying to do her job with the tools she has. I try another angle, the landline which we still have.

"Look. I'm the only one in my home with a cell. It's a work cell. My wife does not own a cell (true-she's old fashioned and hates tech). If she is home alone she has zero way to call 911 or anyone if there is an emergency because of this. I realize the chances of this are very small, but they're not zero. If something goes sideways and there is an emergency, this is 100% on Telus, not us. This is why we still have a landline. I want to be clear with this. I need to speak to someone on the management side if you can't do anything because this is unacceptable."

Miraculously, I am put forward to an escalation guy (Dave) who sounds like he's based next door or something. Not a foreign call center. I give him the whole story and finish up with "I am pretty sure I could call an independent contractor and have it fixed within a day or hell, I could probably buy a fiber splice kit on amazon and fix it myself within 2 days, but it's not my problem. It's yours and you need to fix it."

He listens, seems to understand and says "Look, I am going to put this in as a rush work order. It's literally 1 step below a medical requirement like a life alert, fallen and can't get up thing. This allows the next available tech to do it and pay them overtime/extra hours/whatever. I can't promise but you should have it back within the next day." Gives me his direct extension and assures me he will be personally following this.

Jesus christ, Telus has a good product that we pay good money for, but if *anything* goes sideways it's like pulling loving teeth to get it straightened out. So I've been hot spotting my mediocre Public Mobile 3G speed internet to shitpost for the last 2 days, which has been surprisingly decent, but also giving me a poke to get on that new Freedom mobile 40GB North America wide plan after this.

The initial call center guy gave me a $50 credit on my next bill for this, but I am not sure if I should ask for more for the pain in the rear end this has caused. My wife was toying with working from Tim Horton's for the last 2 days, but she was able to work from a family members house 20 minutes away. I've been having to go to the office and work as my lovely Public Mobile plan would blow through the 2GB cap in a day if we both hot-spotted through it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

quote:

I've been hot spotting my mediocre Public Mobile 3G speed internet to shitpost for the last 2 days, which has been surprisingly decent, but also giving me a poke to get on that new Freedom mobile 40GB North America wide plan after this.

Pubmo (and like, every single other cell provider) is offering 4G 20Gb for 39 bucks right now. Not quite 40Gb but it's a single click to switch your Pubmo account rather than having to port to Freedom

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The us roaming is the clincher for me with freedom. I get a $50 allowance from work so it's a total break even.

Oh, fwiw, still 3g shitposting but public is giving me free data. I am totally over my cap and it still works fine. i still show 0gb data used on my public mobile acct front end.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

The us roaming is the clincher for me with freedom. I get a $50 allowance from work so it's a total break even.

Oh, fwiw, still 3g shitposting but public is giving me free data. I am totally over my cap and it still works fine. i still show 0gb data used on my public mobile acct front end.

Same. Just spend 4 days in the US for an all staff meeting and while 35/1 GB is a bit rich, I heard from the other Canadian employees it was a far better offer than whatever Rogers or Telus offer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I don't go to the US tons but not having a phone annoys me.

To be clear though, that current freedom plan has 40GB data, both sides of the border. It's kind of a no brainer. The only thing that might be a bit dicey with me is my house is, according to their service map right on the fringe of the Freedom network. BUT, when I am home I'm always on wifi anyhow (as long as a telus tech doesn't break my fiber again) so it should be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven’t had Cogeco cable in probably a year and change now and the cable running to my house serves no purpose other than giving birds a perch to poo poo all over my car from. Calling them to remove it should be a perfectly reasonable request, right?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is the pole physically located solidly within your property or on a utility right of way?

It's very common, depending where you live that the first few 2-3 meters of "your property" are actually either a right of way or municipality property. This most commonly happens on just one side/property line but certainly not always.

You might want to take a look at your land survey/RPR if you have one.

e: If it's on a a utility right of-way, they probably won't be falling over themselves to remove it unless it's a safety hazard or something.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 6, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's just strung from a utility pole across the street, no poles on my property. Ultimately I'll pay them to come out and remove it, I really just think I want it gone. I just wonder how tricky that will be now that I have no business relationship with them. Though this is all in my power to figure out by just calling them, so I'll get around to that tomorrow :)

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I'm not sure which is going to happen first in my neighbourhood: Bell installs FttH or Rogers completes the DOCSIS 4.0 rollout, but I'm guessing it will be DOCSIS. I think someone said the reasons fiber is better in this thread a long time ago, but I don't want to go try and find it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Fibre is always going to be better because you’re not dealing with copper anywhere. It’s all light. Theoretically your speeds are unlimited, and trials are happening now for 50G PON. That would be 50 gig to your house.

Wait another 5 years, and 100G might exist over PON.

DOCSIS has a limit, and will fall farther out of a favour as the years go by.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sent my shaw modem back today, they didn’t send a box or notify me that label was ready to be sent instead they kept calling me trying to get me back for 20% off and disney+.

Maybe if you guys had been more proactive with the prices I would not have jumped!

Nah I still would have jumped to fibre. I like the potential for speed increases have a way higher ceiling!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The main benefit of RF/DOCSIS (for the ISP, mainly) is that upgrading the physical plant involves slowly moving the fiber node closer and closer to the home so there are less customers on the same copper network, which allows for higher throughput caps before saturation becomes an issue. Eventually you get to the point where you have fiber straight to your premise, effectively making a "node" of only one customer. I know Shaw was rolling out neighbourhoods which were FTTH, but ended up putting the brakes on that in favour of network upgrades that would ramp up the capacity over time which allowed them to spread out the cost of infrastructure upgrades over years. Phone companies aren't able to used such a phased approach to upgrading due to the limits of DSL, which is why you see Telus and Bell doing more widespread FTTH rollouts.

Who knows what's happening with that plan now with the Rogers acquisition, though.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Fibre is always going to be better because you’re not dealing with copper anywhere. It’s all light. Theoretically your speeds are unlimited, and trials are happening now for 50G PON. That would be 50 gig to your house.

Wait another 5 years, and 100G might exist over PON.

DOCSIS has a limit, and will fall farther out of a favour as the years go by.

That sounds absolutely useless to me since if I spent I'm guessing $500-$800 on equipment I could maybe do 10GigE over the wires in the house. And then there's Wi-Fi. Also wouldn't there be some upper limit to how fast the light can be turned on and off?

It's competitive now though, right?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

zergstain posted:

It's competitive now though, right?

The biggest downside to DOCSIS is it can't have fast symmetrical upload the way FTTH can.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
FTTH FTW

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
So you can now bypass bell xgpon using an sfp+ stick, I ordered one in a group buy, should be here next month. Also learned dslreports is dead because of bad modding . All the smart people left for the discord and they don’t cross post.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

So you can now bypass bell xgpon using an sfp+ stick, I ordered one in a group buy, should be here next month. Also learned dslreports is dead because of bad modding . All the smart people left for the discord and they don’t cross post.

Which SFP+ module? Is the group buy still open?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
And do you have a link to the Discord? That's such a shame, DSL Reports has been a go-to whenever I have ISP issues for like god, 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

acetcx posted:

Which SFP+ module? Is the group buy still open?

It's this EN-XGSFPP-OMAC-V2, the group buy is full at 40 units and it got the price down to 125USD plus shipping. There is a chance fs.com will release an SFP+ module thats compatible too.

The Discord is discoverable right now, just search for 8311 .