Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fr0id posted:

it’s a losing battle on here, though it is bizarre that one of the few forums on SA allowing the r word on SA is the leftist one. Like I remember this time I was stuck in traffic in the city because these two white guys were both wrestling and fighting each other in the middle of the street, both calling each other the n word. one of the guys, a heavier person, had his shirt yanked off. The other had his shorts nearly yanked down. I imagined a CSPAMer watching, nodding sagely. “This is the revolution.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

shocking reveal: dumb retarded woman makes a podcast named “mueller, she wrote”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Equeen posted:

Saying the r word as an adult just makes you sound like an annoying middle schooler, imho.

it would. but i react to probes like a shakespearean actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_WY0s_1XM

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

fr0id posted:

the reason a lot of people on here defend using the r word is because “well regular people use it and we shouldn’t be high and mighty” and that is regular people

Could you please provide me with a list of these names so I may avenge thee

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

You can just not use a slur. It's easy
if i had to be in the retard classes as a kid i'm taking the consolation prize

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if you say it like faux french you can be like jean luc retard and it shouldn't be a problem

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
https://www.iafstore.com/usa/control/non-stop-retard-codp50196

I will never stop laughing at this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
As the black eyed peas once said:
"In this context,
There's no disrespect"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Other than Hesse's couple guest spots on a couple E1 episodes, have the E1 crew and Seeking Derangements team done more crossover stuff?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fr0id posted:

it’s a losing battle on here, though it is bizarre that one of the few forums on SA allowing the r word on SA is the leftist one. Like I remember this time I was stuck in traffic in the city because these two white guys were both wrestling and fighting each other in the middle of the street, both calling each other the n word. one of the guys, a heavier person, had his shirt yanked off. The other had his shorts nearly yanked down. I imagined a CSPAMer watching, nodding sagely. “This is the revolution.”

you okay there dude?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

good chapo ep with corey robin, prob the most matt has talked in a non-matt karp interview

selec
Sep 6, 2003

word filter should replace the r word with “revolutionary”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

selec posted:

word filter should replace the r word with “revolutionary”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

revisionist

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you okay there dude?

should’ve just quoted the glenn image you stupid bitch

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

lumpentroll posted:

please don’t use gendered insults, it’s as bad as the r-word

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lumpentroll posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Cael posted:

please don’t use gendered insults, it’s as bad as the r-word

good

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is the new Chapo generally correct in assessing Clarence Thomas’ beliefs? Because if so, jfc.

The most radical thing you can do is embrace the most extreme form of capitalism because…?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

yikes!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/1666177442132656128

aw hell yeah

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
gently caress yea!

I just finished another listen of the Korea series.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

fr0id posted:

the reason a lot of people on here defend using the r word is because “well regular people use it and we shouldn’t be high and mighty” and that is regular people

It's a funny word to say

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Gripweed posted:

Other than Hesse's couple guest spots on a couple E1 episodes, have the E1 crew and Seeking Derangements team done more crossover stuff?

Yes, actually. Ben and Palma were on an earlier episode of E1 a few years ago.

Edit: it's a patreon exclusive, regrettably: https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/126-young-voters-for-joe-biden-preview-patreon-exclusive

Enrico la Spaniard has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Jun 7, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

gently caress yea!

I just finished another listen of the Korea series.

I think I'm primed to listen to academically dense Blowback Korea-pod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUqLL8J4gI

Yeah, I just listened to this white guy explain Japan earlier today and I kinda want more.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Yes, actually. Ben and Palma were on an earlier episode of E1 a few years ago.

Edit: it's a patreon exclusive, regrettably: https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/126-young-voters-for-joe-biden-preview-patreon-exclusive

Thanks!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
"why do you always kill gods in JRPGs" what kind of stupid loving question is that, what's the most powerful thing you can think of? a god. now imagine killing that, sounds pretty badass to me

that's all you need to know

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shipon posted:

"why do you always kill gods in JRPGs" what kind of stupid loving question is that, what's the most powerful thing you can think of? a god. now imagine killing that, sounds pretty badass to me

that's all you need to know

No there's about 1:45:00 worth of imperialism homework in there to explain that gods were mortals one time so it is proper for a mortal to kill a god. Also Americans are space aliens and they brought weirder gods to kill.

Video was fun and I think I might spring this on In-laws for AAPI make-up homework. Upon some verbal tics and the info displayed in "About Me" video creator might be Asian, in the American born ProZD kinda way. I refuse to do any more research.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Is the new Chapo generally correct in assessing Clarence Thomas’ beliefs? Because if so, jfc.

The most radical thing you can do is embrace the most extreme form of capitalism because…?

I was given his book a year or two ago and found his argument persuasive but obviously it’s all conjecture and putting together the pieces and arguing for a conclusion. Unless Thomas comes out and just says ‘yep all that shits right’ which lol then you’re kind of left with a persuasive argument that you just have to decide if you believe is correct

Is it generally correct in that it’s a widely accepted conception of thomas or something that he’s personally confirmed? No

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

I think I'm primed to listen to academically dense Blowback Korea-pod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUqLL8J4gI

Yeah, I just listened to this white guy explain Japan earlier today and I kinda want more.

This reminds me of my college course where the (Japanese) professor talked about how all anime was indirectly about the atomic bomb

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I was given his book a year or two ago and found his argument persuasive but obviously it’s all conjecture and putting together the pieces and arguing for a conclusion. Unless Thomas comes out and just says ‘yep all that shits right’ which lol then you’re kind of left with a persuasive argument that you just have to decide if you believe is correct

Is it generally correct in that it’s a widely accepted conception of thomas or something that he’s personally confirmed? No

Some of the reasoning doesn't track for me. For example, this:

“Whatever the inclination of slave owners, their actual behavior was limited by the crop they were growing and this in turn was limited by the climate and soil where they were. The land most suitable for cotton production became the land where plantation slavery was most concentrated. In turn, the attitudes and ideologies of this region of slave-driving were those providing the strongest justification for slavery in terms of the most degraded picture of the Negro race. Those parts of the South least adaptable, by climate and soil, to plantation slave crops were those in which racism did not achieve the same degree of fervor in word and deed.”

Generally aligns with recent scholarship on the political economy of slavery and the antebellum sociopolitical system. Makes sense, right? Chattel slavery and the racial hierarchy that accompanies it were correlated with land that could support cash crop plantations. It also explains why West Virginia (hills, rocks) was Unionist, as well as East Tennessee and North Carolina. It's an argument that finds support from Marxist historians of the American Civil War too, pretty straightforward material cause of a social order.

So, how does he (Sowell, Thomas or Robin I suppose) go from there to:

“This notion—that capitalism was the one power that could bring the white slaveholder to heel, that the economy was the one force that the white man could not control, that the market was the one institution to which the white man would have to yield—is a through line of Race and Economics. For Thomas, it was a lifeline. ”?

The slaveholders dealt with running out of alluvial lands by starting the American Civil War, once westward expansion was blocked. I'm not sure how this is an argument that King Cotton was a force for black liberation. Am I missing something?

The Market did not cause slaveholders to yield, The Market drove chattel slavery.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of my college course where the (Japanese) professor talked about how all anime was indirectly about the atomic bomb

Ive heard this argument, usually paired with all western sci-fi being about fear of and/or guilt over colonialism

It’s seems pretty reductive

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's absolutely an argument that capitalism ended slavery- even when the South resorted to force, they were crushed by the superior Northern economy. I think this isn't really a holistic view of the matter, but the crucial point is that it's not nearly the dumbest thing Clarence Thomas believes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Ive heard this argument, usually paired with all western sci-fi being about fear of and/or guilt over colonialism

It’s seems pretty reductive

Except for the scifi that’s about how awesome colonialism is

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Some of the reasoning doesn't track for me. For example, this…

I'm not sure how this is an argument that King Cotton was a force for black liberation. Am I missing something?

I think so, yes. He’s trying to present an argument that he thinks is Thomas’s view, not actually necessarily defend the transition. What he wants to demonstrate is that Thomas’s views/behaviors/jurisprudence/biography/etc… support that he holds that view. I think he’s less interested in the through line of whether it’s academically coherent

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Some of the reasoning doesn't track for me. For example, this:

“Whatever the inclination of slave owners, their actual behavior was limited by the crop they were growing and this in turn was limited by the climate and soil where they were. The land most suitable for cotton production became the land where plantation slavery was most concentrated. In turn, the attitudes and ideologies of this region of slave-driving were those providing the strongest justification for slavery in terms of the most degraded picture of the Negro race. Those parts of the South least adaptable, by climate and soil, to plantation slave crops were those in which racism did not achieve the same degree of fervor in word and deed.”

Generally aligns with recent scholarship on the political economy of slavery and the antebellum sociopolitical system. Makes sense, right? Chattel slavery and the racial hierarchy that accompanies it were correlated with land that could support cash crop plantations. It also explains why West Virginia (hills, rocks) was Unionist, as well as East Tennessee and North Carolina. It's an argument that finds support from Marxist historians of the American Civil War too, pretty straightforward material cause of a social order.

So, how does he (Sowell, Thomas or Robin I suppose) go from there to:

“This notion—that capitalism was the one power that could bring the white slaveholder to heel, that the economy was the one force that the white man could not control, that the market was the one institution to which the white man would have to yield—is a through line of Race and Economics. For Thomas, it was a lifeline. ”?

The slaveholders dealt with running out of alluvial lands by starting the American Civil War, once westward expansion was blocked. I'm not sure how this is an argument that King Cotton was a force for black liberation. Am I missing something?

The Market did not cause slaveholders to yield, The Market drove chattel slavery.

Ignores the fact that the slaves themselves were cash crops. Virginia at the breakout of the war was a net exporter of slaves to plantations further south.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the chapo ep on clarence thomas was like "man this guys boring" lol. insanely tepid boilerplate guy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hey its funny having a hotep crank ayatollah with an insane wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

the chapo ep on clarence thomas was like "man this guys boring" lol. insanely tepid boilerplate guy

I would describe the episode as one of the best of theirs that I've listened to, but I'd also generally put CTH as pretty far down the list in general

Does anyone remember offhand who the lib podcaster was or what the podcast she had was that Adam shared a ride with?