Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I mean, I've already preordered my physical copy of ff16 ages ago, but just thinking back to playing the octopath traveler 2 demo and thinking oh my god I have to get this game on day one hehehe. Demos own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Im gonna play the demo... multiple times!!

So I can get used to the controls and all that

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i think imma wait

Same.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I will wait until PC version and fingers crossed for Deck support but I am eager to read the posts of what the Authentic Final Fantasy Likers itt think and feel of the game. :)

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

wizard2 posted:

I will wait until PC version and fingers crossed for Deck support but I am eager to read the posts of what the Authentic Final Fantasy Likers itt think and feel of the game. :)

Enjoy waiting 3 years

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Enjoy waiting 3 years

thanks!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do you all think we will need a second, open spoiler discussion thread like FFVIIR had? Or will this topic be enough?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If the game leaks early or any datamining happens, that would be for the best. I think at the moment, as long as everyone is careful with their spoiler tags, especially once we get the demo, it'll be fine for a while longer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/status/1666022190360453122

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to play it....

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

God I hope that the demo pops up soon. Like I'm having fun fighting in the streets but let me Clive it up cmon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ibblebibble posted:

God I hope that the demo pops up soon. Like I'm having fun fighting in the streets but let me Clive it up cmon

Demo in two days if the prophecy of two weeks comes to pass

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Gimmie da freakin demo pls!!!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I bought a PS5 so I can play this. The anticipation is killing me.

It's wild to me to me that we haven't had a proper Final Fantasy game without any weird development drama since FFXII in 2006. Fabula Nova Crystallis really hosed up the company for 15 straight years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordiceius posted:

Fabula Nova Crystallis really hosed up the company for 15 straight years.

it's also awesome that the latest FF just up and said it, too, right in that first trailer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I bought a PS5 so I can play this. The anticipation is killing me.

It's wild to me to me that we haven't had a proper Final Fantasy game without any weird development drama since FFXII in 2006. Fabula Nova Crystallis really hosed up the company for 15 straight years.

FF12 has extremely notably production drama. Matsuno left SE before the game was complete due to it. Yiazmat is an oblique reference to it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

FF12 has extremely notably production drama. Matsuno left SE before the game was complete due to it. Yiazmat is an oblique reference to it

I should have been more clear in my wording. I am more so looking at how all of the games since FF12 have had so much baggage due to their ties to bigger/other things.

The only single player FF games that we've gotten that weren't remakes/remasters were part of Fabula Nova Crystallis that spiraled out of control.

The legacy of the crystals have shaped our history for long enough indeed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ImpAtom posted:

yeah, obviously there was crazy poo poo going down with the SE merger, but FF12 was at least a technically competent game made before the clusterfuck of the HD era

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Remember that FFXIII started production in 2004 as a PS2 title. That was always wild to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Remember that FFXIII started production in 2004 as a PS2 title. That was always wild to me.

I don't think it was ever intended as one, they just used FFX-2 as the baseline prototype when they were developing that combat system so early protoryping was done using PS2 software.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoutout to my friend Titan for being last place in the poll with a total of 0% of votes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will vote for angry rock punchman.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah FFXII was absolutely the beginning of the clusterfuck. That game came out two years after it was supposed to.

My favorite FFXII production thing is that the plot synopsis they gave during the reveal has no resemblance to the actual finished storyline.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

All I'm trying to get at is that it has been literal decades since we've been able to get excited about a single-player Final Fantasy game that is a new title and not a remaster or remake or sequel or connected to any other game in the series.

It loving rules.

I feel like a teenager again with how giddy I am.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

It’s mandatory for continued employment? Or you’ll at least be punished for not attending? Cause gently caress that. I am taking a day off work to play FFXVI, possibly more if I haven’t finished the story yet, but FF games are not really that long unless it’s FF14.

I will gradually play FF16 over as long as possible. Hoping to get a full month out of it.

I'm envious of people who can actually enjoy doing an activity for that long. I haven't been able to enjoy anything that much sense my early 20s. Now all the stars have to align for 2-3 hours each day when I can enjoy doing something.

Mordiceius posted:

I should have been more clear in my wording. I am more so looking at how all of the games since FF12 have had so much baggage due to their ties to bigger/other things.

The only single player FF games that we've gotten that weren't remakes/remasters were part of Fabula Nova Crystallis that spiraled out of control.

The legacy of the crystals have shaped our history for long enough indeed.

The civilization of the Fallen was actually Cocoon from FF13

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 6, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I fully expect people to twist themselves into knots trying to explain how FF16 is totally one of the shards from FF14 because it uses the word aether.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mordiceius posted:

All I'm trying to get at is that it has been literal decades since we've been able to get excited about a single-player Final Fantasy game that is a new title and not a remaster or remake or sequel or connected to any other game in the series.

It loving rules.

I feel like a teenager again with how giddy I am.

Clive is the first totally new mainline single player protagonist since 2006, since that’s the year Lightning and Noctis were revealed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I fully expect people to twist themselves into knots trying to explain how FF16 is totally one of the shards from FF14 because it uses the word aether.

Didn't someone literally make this exact argument in the FF thread (or something very similar)?

Edit: not based on the word aether, but IIRC they were arguing that all FF games existed within the 14 universe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't someone literally make this exact argument in the FF thread (or something very similar)?

Edit: not based on the word aether, but IIRC they were arguing that all FF games existed within the 14 universe

I mean *versions* of them are since like Xande and Fran and whatnot show up but they are explicitly not the same characters except when Lightning and Noctis made their cameos

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Clive is the first totally new mainline single player protagonist since 2006, since that’s the year Lightning and Noctis were revealed.

I'm hootin! I'm hollerin! I'm a loving idiot and I just want to play Final Fantasy XVI!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, I tend to not be super excited when it comes to video game releases. I've never been one to react to an upcoming game in the way the gametrailers guys did for Shenmue 3. Even my favorite games or like a new FFXIV expansion, I'll be excited, but it's more of a "Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. I'll get it when it comes out."

Something about this game is different though. The last time I felt this excited for a video game was... maybe Witcher 3 in 2015?

It feels good to be excited!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

there was definitely a very tedious argument recently about at least 12 and maybe tactics being in the same universe as 14 based on the ivalice raid series

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If the demo really does drop after the Summer Game Fest stream then we are roughly 45~ hours away from being able to play FF16

It could also not drop then and we'll have to wait until the 11th/12th!!! especially since some streamers have said they're being sponsored to play the demo on the 12th

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 7, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

susan b buffering posted:

there was definitely a very tedious argument recently about at least 12 and maybe tactics being in the same universe as 14 based on the ivalice raid series

Thar is bizarre because the raid is flat out about things being different because B'gnamnin sure didn't turn into a giant superdragon in FF12

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hope they let you switch between outfits. i like the coat of plate look more than the open vest look :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Thar is bizarre because the raid is flat out about things being different because B'gnamnin sure didn't turn into a giant superdragon in FF12

IIRC it was one of the more tedious Games subforum posters who is Always Right. I remember them in the XIV thread arguing about how not using aoe skills in leveling dungeons as a tank was an acceptable social grace.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goddammit there's currently a lucky draw event to get tickets to a meet and greet with YoshiP here in Malaysia in the city that I live in but to enter you need a receipt for preordering a disc copy of XVI and I have a digital PS5.

It's mildly tempting to spend cash on a useless disc just to have a chance of meeting YoshiP (and the chances aren't too bad because there's like 80 tickets reserved for local Malaysians) but ehhhhh. Gonna see if I can find a friend who has a disc PS5 and I can get them a gift I guess if it works out.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

IIRC it was one of the more tedious Games subforum posters who is Always Right. I remember them in the XIV thread arguing about how not using aoe skills in leveling dungeons as a tank was an acceptable social grace.

lol wait was that the "don't tell me how to play the game i'm paying for" poster?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddammit there's currently a lucky draw event to get tickets to a meet and greet with YoshiP here in Malaysia in the city that I live in but to enter you need a receipt for preordering a disc copy of XVI and I have a digital PS5.

It's mildly tempting to spend cash on a useless disc just to have a chance of meeting YoshiP (and the chances aren't too bad because there's like 80 tickets reserved for local Malaysians) but ehhhhh. Gonna see if I can find a friend who has a disc PS5 and I can get them a gift I guess if it works out.

Just buy it and then cancel your preorder?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meeting Yoshi P is neat but probably not $70 (or whatever it is in local currency) just for a chance at it neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm asking around and seeing if anyone I know wants to buy it for like 15% discount so I'm only out 15% of RRP which is more reasonable.