Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Photex posted:

if this didn't have sticks it'd be an instabuy for me, especially if it was this color scheme.

You can always buy a powkiddy v90 and some enamel paint

I'm here specifically for the thumbsticks. I'm going to play Gamecube and PS2 at half res with frameskip maxed and I'm going to love it

Edit: And if it turns out to run Android? Oh boy oh boy, I'm going to play my steam library on it over GeForce now and I don't care if that's the worst way I could possibly do it, New Vegas on a GBA sp, baby!

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got my Miyoo Mini Plus 7 hours after ordering it, what a time to be alive.

Ok Russ how do I set this up?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rolo posted:

Got my Miyoo Mini Plus 7 hours after ordering it, what a time to be alive.

Ok Russ how do I set this up?

https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion/wiki

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well that was easy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
All my buttons click in and out fine but the A button requires a little more pressure to actually count as a press.

Will this fix itself as it breaks in or is there something I can do to improve the contact?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Not sure if it's directly related, but I'm fairly sure you still need to get the beta version of Onion for it to work properly on a Plus.

https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion/releases/tag/latest

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Russ has a Loki box. I assume the Loki is in his possession too.
https://twitter.com/retrogamecorps/status/1665922507168444416

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Russ has a Loki box. I assume the Loki is in his possession too.
https://twitter.com/retrogamecorps/status/1665922507168444416

I think the max is a 6800u

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

trufflefoo posted:

I feeling quite nostalgic for my old gameboy. I seem to have lost it in the house moves over the years.
What’s the best of the retro consoles, in the vertical/GB form factor?
Mini Plus?

Thanks everyone! Bought a RG35XX in the end as I could get that next day on Amazon.

Installed GarlicOS and am in the process of reminding myself that a lot of these games are just brutal and unforgiving.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I think the max is a 6800u

It is yeah, Russ has a first impressions video up now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCQVEgmrJA

And Taki has a video too since he designed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEri9UdL7_4

It seems like the same kind of deal as the Odin, it was an comical nightmare to get out the door but is extremely good and well designed now it's actually done. I still don't think the Max is worth caring about now there are better chips in cheaper handhelds (the ROG Ally basically rendered the Max obsolete) but the Mini Pro and 6600U might well have a niche to find as a strong emulator handheld and a solid Steam Deck alternative for people who want a smaller handheld (it looks about the size of a normal Switch) if the performance is there. One thing that's weird to me with these latest run of handheld PC reviews is how often I'm hearing people say "this is a review unit not the final product" which, no. If it's being sent out to be reviewed that is the final product.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I have the mini pro on order.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have the regular 6600U preordered from when they first went up and I might actually keep that now as a Windows companion to my Deck since it looks like their system control program isn't nightmarish. ETA Prime did a rundown of a laptop with a 6600U and that was running games at 1080p60 so even the base Loki should be able to do good stuff at 720p since it's still a 6" screen, and be a better docked system when you can jack up the power limit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe they sent out the engineering samples because they saw the Asus Ally was announced. I am not holding my breath.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Their Loki News page straight up says they're shipping the first units, but I'm still not expecting to hold a Loki before the end of the year because they seem to have made it here by just laser focusing on the 6800U model. But it's a question of what parts they're waiting on now the system is actually done.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If the Steamdeck ever comes in a smaller, budget format it’s going to slaughter everything else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don’t think that’s ever going to happen, the early comments from Gaben about the Deck price made it pretty clear it was as cheap as they could get it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok fine make it smaller and the same price.

And have it come in funky colors.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

trufflefoo posted:

Thanks everyone! Bought a RG35XX in the end as I could get that next day on Amazon.

Installed GarlicOS and am in the process of reminding myself that a lot of these games are just brutal and unforgiving.

I'm now in the same boat as you and I've learned two things. The first is that the Wonderswan core seems mildly fucky, which bites because I was thinking of using this as a way to explore that system and its romhacks/translations, and the second is sweet jesus I've gotten rusty at things I crushed as a kid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

And have it come in funky colors.

This is the real play. Give me a purple deck.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
6 inch deck with no track pack, same price.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Any recommendations for a rp3+ grip? I know they have their own you can buy, but has anyone found any unofficial alternatives?

Not 100% sure I need one yet, but I'd like to have one in mind.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rolo posted:

If the Steamdeck ever comes in a smaller, budget format it’s going to slaughter everything else.

njsykora posted:

I don’t think that’s ever going to happen, the early comments from Gaben about the Deck price made it pretty clear it was as cheap as they could get it.

Yeah don't think they can trim it any smaller/cheaper as a handheld, but they probably could shave off a bit off the price by doing a console version(since they would be dropping the battery and touch screen as well as making the controller separate)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A console version would need more power though, 720p low isn’t really acceptable for a big screen. They’d need to be hitting at least 1080p medium. It is something I want though, and it would still be cheaper than a basic SFF consolised PC build thanks to the Steam subsidy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

Prices go down over time for similar hardware, so it isn't impossible. But I think the feedback most people gave was they wanted more power and better battery life and were willing to pay for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah but I also think they’d rather put out a full upgrade and not iterate on the same specced machine.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
People want more power as an option, they can get the Asus. I don't see "smaller deck with the same price" option on the market.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

6 inch deck with no track pack, same price.

Playing with my 6 inch deck

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Alucard posted:

Playing with my 6 inch deck

Were you swimming in a pool?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do I measure my steamdeck from the base or

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I was just mentioning to my wife last night how much I like having my deck in both hands while in bed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I know when I'm playing with my deck at work people always ask about it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Whispering* Wait til you see my deck

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I secretly hated my deck, but eventually I was honest with myself and got the switch. This was a long time coming, but now I'm happy in a way I didn't know was possible

It Gets Better

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The problem with a smaller deck is that it's probably not going to last as long either. While size doesn't matter to everybody, nobody wants a deck that peters out after five minutes.

vv game boy micro isn't a deck

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 7, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My Game Boy Micro lasts for like 6 hours, might wanna check your priors there

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

zzMisc posted:

Reported for deck shaming

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

The problem with a smaller deck is that it's probably not going to last as long either. While size doesn't matter to everybody, nobody wants a deck that peters out after five minutes.

Well the 6 inche devices like the aya air or loki shove a larger battery into them 47 vs 40 for the deck.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am content with my small Anbernic deck. My wife leaves me alone.

Also a smaller deck obviously needs less juice to make it last as long as the 7 inch deck.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am content with my small Anbernic deck. My wife leaves me alone.

Also a smaller deck obviously needs less juice to make it last as long as the 7 inch deck.

Literally Big Deck Energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gameboy Micro is the original Steam Deck