Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm giving myself new and exciting brainworms fantasizing about setting up a NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm giving myself new and exciting brainworms fantasizing about setting up a NAS.

I’m in the middle of a migration, feels good man.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I must be edging or something because I have a partially constructed one that has been sitting there for.. ugh months

Nah I'm just lazy :haw:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

After 2 more years of dithering I finally bit the bullet on a big boy NAS and got a 4 bay QNAP all set up this week.

I even got my various *arrs setup through container station with only like half an hour of trying to work out why the gently caress they couldn’t see each other. I eventually realised they were looking for the internal IP addresses assigned by the virtual switch on the QNAP and not the ones they were presenting to my network - setting them up again with static IPs made this way easier to work with.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Big boy Nas is when you outgrow the QNAP :agesilaus:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

kri kri posted:

:emptyquote:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

kri kri posted:

The specific brainworms is a DIY rig for me op.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

kri kri posted:

Conversely, the Adult NAS is tucked away in a closet, and should eventually be left in the woods for young teens to find and furtively exchange.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Decommissioning my NAS by Old Yellering it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hosed up by assuming I could remember what was going on in my kludged together collection of independently networked drives and their variously daisy-chained external expansions, so I have another 16tb drive coming to occupy the next bay already because I undershot my original required capacity estimate :shepspends:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone here using their unraid server as a local cloud gaming server via a Windows VM with something like Parsec? If so, how well does it work? Are there issues or annoyances with certain games (that in theory should be fine with the server's hardware)? I'm assuming it's not ideal for something like a competitive online FPS at high refresh rates with gsync, but outside of that does it generally work well?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Splinter posted:

Anyone here using their unraid server as a local cloud gaming server via a Windows VM with something like Parsec? If so, how well does it work? Are there issues or annoyances with certain games (that in theory should be fine with the server's hardware)? I'm assuming it's not ideal for something like a competitive online FPS at high refresh rates with gsync, but outside of that does it generally work well?

I haven’t done specifically that combo but similar. In my case it was WinServer 2019 and parsec to run games to my mac. Worked well - parsec is a great low latency replacement.

And ya - competitive FPS won’t work well but most other stuff is pretty good

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Splinter posted:

A good friend of mine has this setup, as well as outputting his Windows vm via hdmi from his GPU to the TV in his basement. No performance problems as far as I know, but your GPU won't be able to transcode on other docker containers like Plex while it's being used. This may not be an issue if you have enough CPU headroom Intel QuickSync, or you may not even care.

The only real issue he had was the bios stealing the nvidia gpu, so he had to order some sort of hdmi blanking plug for his motherboard or something. I think he's happy with his setup overall.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Decommissioning my NAS by Old Yellering it

lol

Lawman 0 posted:

I'd say I learned more just dedicating myself to getting a small one working than any other work training over the last 3-4 years. I probably should have started on actual computer hardware rather than SBC, that would have eased a lot of the in the weeds incompatible hardware drivers and unsupported distro stuff.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corb3t posted:

A good friend of mine has this setup, as well as outputting his Windows vm via hdmi from his GPU to the TV in his basement. No performance problems as far as I know, but your GPU won't be able to transcode on other docker containers like Plex while it's being used. This may not be an issue if you have enough CPU headroom Intel QuickSync, or you may not even care.

The only real issue he had was the bios stealing the nvidia gpu, so he had to order some sort of hdmi blanking plug for his motherboard or something. I think he's happy with his setup overall.

Is that because he's passing the entire GPU to the video card rather than using Nvidia vGPU? I know from a hardware perspective consumer GPUs allow for 3 transcoding sessions, and I use a Quadro in my VM/Docker machine just to have more sessions available.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Is that because he's passing the entire GPU to the video card rather than using Nvidia vGPU? I know from a hardware perspective consumer GPUs allow for 3 transcoding sessions, and I use a Quadro in my VM/Docker machine just to have more sessions available.

As far as I can tell, Unraid doesn't support vGPU passthrough - it's all or nothing if you want to passthrough a GPU to a VM. There appears to be some github plugins that supposedly enable this feature, but it's not something Unraid supports out of the box.

Getting a Parsec docker container running with the GPU might work, but you'd have to do further research on the limitations of GPU transcoding in a Plex container while another container is being used for gaming.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corb3t posted:

As far as I can tell, Unraid doesn't support vGPU passthrough - it's all or nothing if you want to passthrough a GPU to a VM. There appears to be some github plugins that supposedly enable this feature, but it's not something Unraid supports out of the box.

Getting a Parsec docker container running with the GPU might work, but you'd have to do further research on the limitations of GPU transcoding in a Plex container while another container is being used for gaming.

Ah didn't think Unraid that makes sense.

Also vGPU is still an absolute shitshow of tweaking, I gave up and threw that Quadro in instead.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The ASRock Rack ALTRAD8U-1L2T is a μATX motherboard with 8 DDR4 1DPC slots for up to 256GB memory, 4x PCIe 4.0 x16 slots, a PCIe 4.0 x8 on SlimSAS, a PCIe 4.0 x4 on OCuLink, 2x PCIe 4.0 x4 2280mm M.2 slots, 2x 10GbE from X550, and 1Gbe from i210.

And it takes the Ampere Altra Max that has 128 ARM cores at 3GHz.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The ASRock Rack ALTRAD8U-1L2T is a μATX motherboard with 8 DDR4 1DPC slots for up to 256GB memory, 4x PCIe 4.0 x16 slots, a PCIe 4.0 x8 on SlimSAS, a PCIe 4.0 x4 on OCuLink, 2x PCIe 4.0 x4 2280mm M.2 slots, 2x 10GbE from X550, and 1Gbe from i210.

And it takes the Ampere Altra Max that has 128 ARM cores at 3GHz.

God drat asrock rack rules

e: lol that the first comment on the STH article on it is complaining they use VGA instead of hdmi on it

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-altrad8u-1l2t-is-a-matx-motherboard-for-up-to-128-cores-ampere-altra-arm/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

e: lol that the first comment on the STH article on it is complaining they use VGA instead of hdmi on it

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-altrad8u-1l2t-is-a-matx-motherboard-for-up-to-128-cores-ampere-altra-arm/
Even putting aside the KVM-over-IPs, rackmount KVMs also still have VGA as the option - and it's not the kind of device you replace with any kind of the same cadence that most companies replace servers.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Aspeed chips are doing a bunch of stuff in hardware for VGA, to make vKVM work - so until that hardware can do HDMI, VGA's gonna stay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Even putting aside the KVM-over-IPs, rackmount KVMs also still have VGA as the option - and it's not the kind of device you replace with any kind of the same cadence that most companies replace servers.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Aspeed chips are doing a bunch of stuff in hardware for VGA, to make vKVM work - so until that hardware can do HDMI, VGA's gonna stay.

Yeah I was laughing at the guy’s ignorance of server hardware, all the AST bmc stuff has vga output. Plus just switching analog vga is way cheaper and easier than digital hdmi/displayport, as comparing any kvms will make it immediately obvious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VGA, like serial, will never go away

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

My Asrock Rack is going on 5 years of perfect performance.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Corb3t posted:

Seems like the Steam Headless docker is the ideal solution? Admittedly you're limited to Linux game compatibility but that is very good these days for most things that would be playable over a LAN anyway. I'm running Steam Headless with tdarr and Plex running transcodes at the same time on a Quadro P4000 and it's all good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
32TB HAMR drive is coming

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
right thread this time :getin:

Happy to announce that I'm officially back on my ZFS bullshit.

I kept having issues getting ZFSBootMenu to actually load so I instead used the OpenZFS Debian bullseye docs but edited them where necessary to deploy Bookworm instead. Everything went swimmingly, including a mirrored zfs boot pool and encrypted zfs on the root + nas pools. Dropbear is integrated into initrd such that if I reboot the box I can either type the passphrase on the local console or SSH into the locked down shell that won't let you do anything other than connect with key based auth and provide the passphrase, after which it'll continue booting like normal.

Pretty fuckin' swanky, not gonna lie.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Not strictly NAS related but I figure people here may know: I'm picking up a small NAS to use in my house, mainly just for syncing music between my home PC and work laptop when working from home. I decided on a small Drivestor for the task and the one I picked out has 2.5GB ethernet. All my wiring is CAT6 right now but my router and switches are only gigabit. If I were to just replace my switches with 2.5GB ones and make sure my computers and NAS are hooked up to the same switch will they still be bottlenecked by the router still only being gigabit?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Any NAS/switch/PC link will be 2.5, but you will only get 1gbit downloads from the internet.

E: this is assuming a layout where the router just has two connections, one to the outside/ISP and one to the switch.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

right thread this time :getin:

Happy to announce that I'm officially back on my ZFS bullshit.

I kept having issues getting ZFSBootMenu to actually load so I instead used the OpenZFS Debian bullseye docs but edited them where necessary to deploy Bookworm instead. Everything went swimmingly, including a mirrored zfs boot pool and encrypted zfs on the root + nas pools. Dropbear is integrated into initrd such that if I reboot the box I can either type the passphrase on the local console or SSH into the locked down shell that won't let you do anything other than connect with key based auth and provide the passphrase, after which it'll continue booting like normal.

Pretty fuckin' swanky, not gonna lie.
FreeBSDs boot loader has/is getting kboot, meaning it should be able to boot Linux on an encrypted-root-on-zpool.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I think I figured out what my problem is in terms of accessing the data from my old TrueNAS Core when plugging in the drives to my new TrueNAS Scale box. Essentially, when I plugged in the old drives and imported the pool, these are the permissions I get:

However, when I look at the permissions for my new drive, I see this:

So, the permissions are all screwed up. I double checked that the new drives and pool weren't encrypted just in case (and they weren't). So I go to my share settings to check those out and this is what I see:

So there isn't a way to set the filesystem ACL for the old drives. I think the issue that I am running into is that it seems like when I set up my FreeNAS box, the data is in the root of the pool as opposed to a separate dataset folder (like the one called NAS in the athena pool):

At this point, I really don't know what to do. It is a permissions issue, but the area that I know to go to to readjust the permissions of who can access the data isn't there. I can log into the share at the top level but cannot access any folders at all. Any ideas or suggestions?

SUPER EDIT: I had a dumb idea that just... worked. I made a new user called "owner" with the UID of 1000 to match the permissions for the first data set and magically I can access all of it. I don't know why I have not thought of that before. I feel smart and dumb at the same time.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 12, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you were using FreeBSD, you could just get away with mapuser or maproot=nobody if you don't have multiple users and therefore need one or more in AAA.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I think I figured out what my problem is in terms of accessing the data from my old TrueNAS Core when plugging in the drives to my new TrueNAS Scale box. Essentially, when I plugged in the old drives and imported the pool, these are the permissions I get:

Looks like you might need to call Jenny to get those group permissions worked out.

quote:

SUPER EDIT: I had a dumb idea that just... worked. I made a new user called "owner" with the UID of 1000 to match the permissions for the first data set and magically I can access all of it. I don't know why I have not thought of that before. I feel smart and dumb at the same time.
Ahh Unix permissions...

(Most?) Unixy systems just attach a UID and GID to the filesystem objects so if a disk is moved to another system and those don't exist or are different user/groups things get fucky.

Same thing happens with NTFS drives on Windows where unless the machines are both on the same domain the ACLs are going to have no idea what's going on.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Almost pulled the trigger on an used ebay dell optiplex today but thought better of it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I did that recently to get a micro - got a 3050 with a i5-7500T, 16GB RAM and a 256 SSD. CPU-Z, etc. seemed to report it as genuine with benchmarks to match and memtest passed fine. I wiped Windows off it and threw on Arch and now it runs all my docker stuff.

I don't know the ex-corp provenance of the PC and I don't really want to.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

I did that recently to get a micro - got a 3050 with a i5-7500T, 16GB RAM and a 256 SSD. CPU-Z, etc. seemed to report it as genuine with benchmarks to match and memtest passed fine. I wiped Windows off it and threw on Arch and now it runs all my docker stuff.

I don't know the ex-corp provenance of the PC and I don't really want to.

Yeah im just a little scared to take the plug and might take a look on Craigslist first and demand a look on the inside.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I've been pretty pleased with the T5820 so far, definitely worth taking a look at from a price/capability standpoint imo. Two populated FlexBays give me 4x3.5" hotswap SAS/SATA total on the front, replaced the blu-ray drive with a 4x2.5" Icy Dock hotswap enclosure for SSDs, physically mounted the system pool on the bottom of the case - plenty of room for activities and still quiet as hell.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Just setup a mirrored ZFS pool a couple months ago to mess around with. Just did a scrub and got:

code:

$ sudo zpool status -v
  pool: vulture
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
	attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
	using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
  scan: scrub repaired 2.38M in 10:58:54 with 1 errors on Mon Jun 12 19:30:42 2023
config:

NAME                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	vulture             ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror-0          ONLINE       0     0     0
	    USB30-ZTM0MRGY  ONLINE       0     0     4
	    USB30-3HGUTD7P  ONLINE       0     0     5

errors: No known data errors

This means the 1 errors reported was repaired, right?

Also, almost every time I scrub, I get like 2 or more checksum errors per drive, but nothing at the mirror level, "Applications are unaffected", and "No known data errors". I'm assuming that's normal?

minute fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 13, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That seems to indicate that the errors appear in random sectors, so as long as they don't overlap you can recover by reading the other drive.

I would really worry about why you are getting a steady stream of checksum errors, though; that's not normal.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Any value other than 0 in the CKSUM column indicates that the data returned from a READ request doesn't match the checksum that ZFS has for it.
This can either be because the drive is returning bad data (because it's broken, and it's firmware is lying about it), because of a controller (HBA firmware also lies, as can cheap stuff like HighPoint and ASMedia), or it can be because of cabling.
If you've got a known-good LSI HBA or known good cables, try with those. If it still happens, you've got a drive that's lying to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Yea, I figured it’s recovering successfully from the other mirror each time, since it reports no data errors.

It’s an Orico external enclosure into a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock to my MacBook Pro, so I guess there are lots of links in the chain I need to check.