Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

they already did wind waker 2, it was pretty mid

Railroad-ize the entire world map, then :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Souls fall down.

Definitive proof that souls have mass

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Is the soul heavier than air" - the greatest religious debate in the history of Hyrule, declared heretical by King Rhoam after 12,239 years of heated debate,

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
2 Wind 2 Waker

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Linebeck had a cool theme song, though

Wind Waker 3: Kakariko Skiff

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

Icedude posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the actual Ancient Sheikah had some kind of failsafe in them that triggered when Calamity Ganon was beaten, which made them all fizzle away the same way the monks did in the shrines. If the Ancient Sheikah got exiled because people were afraid of their technology it kind of makes sense that they'd go "This is for fighting the Calamity ONLY and then it goes away" on the stuff they let them keep. It would also explain why almost everything Ancient Sheikah is gone but all of Robbie and Purah's stuff is still around.

That's kind of how I rationalized it in my head. They fulfilled their purpose so they turned into magical sparkles and were carried off by the wind, and that's fine and good enough for me. I absolutely don't care about an extended Zelda timeline at all, it's just that when one game leads directly into another like this they gotta address some things.

Also I've never played Wind Waker and I probably should. Nintendo you goddamn cowards let me buy it on the switch.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Pollyanna posted:

How’d they end up in the depths then huh smarty man :colbert:

they're loving lost you nerd

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They should have turned left at alberquerque.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
After I saw the first trailer for BotW where it showed Link in a light blue tunic, Koroks, and the Deku Tree saying "it seems you have no recollection of me, however," I genuinely thought for a hot minute that BotW might end up being a direct Wind Waker sequel, like a new branch parallel to Phantom Hourglass or something.

e: I am also a little disappointed that the mogma didn't show up in the depths because I like their music.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Linebeck had a cool theme song, though

Is there a Wind Waker mod that randomizes the grid layout? That'd be pretty cool

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tepid take:

Wind Temple > Lightning Temple > Water Temple > Fire Temple.

>>>>>>>>>> Spirit Temple. Like, to the point that people keep forgetting there’s 5 dungeons in the game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Are you talking about a suggested order or are you talking about how fun/cool they are?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fire Temple was my second temple and I almost liked it more than Wind Temple. Part of that was the set-piece going into the temple and how quick the pace felt going from meeting Yunobo -> Going to Death Mountain Crater -> Getting to the Fire Temple entrance. I thought the puzzles were neat and I wasn't particularly thrown for a loop when it comes to the paths to get from A to B/C/D/etc., it seemed like it signposted you toward the next objectives just by virtue of looking at the tracks and saying "I wonder where that one leads". If I ever ended up at a point where there was only one way in/out, I'd check to see if there were any obvious paths up/down from that point. If it was just a treasure chest, backtrack to the previous junction and see where else it could take me. The boss fight was cool too, but the Wind Temple boss and theme music absolutely kicks its rear end

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Tepid take:

Wind Temple > Lightning Temple > Water Temple > Fire Temple.

>>>>>>>>>> Spirit Temple. Like, to the point that people keep forgetting there’s 5 dungeons in the game.

There is no fifth dungeon!!! :arghfist:

Okay, I'm less grumpy about it than the other day, right after I finished it, because there was a lot of fun along the way. But I still think it would've been better to just not make it a "temple", just say an evil robut stole the tear and you need to go chase it down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CainFortea posted:

Are you talking about a suggested order or are you talking about how fun/cool they are?

The latter.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I hated the Water Temple. The low gravity really exposes how bad some of the platforming mechanics can be, and the boss is just plain tedious--unless I was doing something very wrong. Plus the power you get afterward is probably the weakest one, unless you really like loading up on Zora weapons

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol my problem with the water temple was it being way too short and easy including the boss. the regular chuchu jellies you get on an arrow destroy it.

also that thing is cute and I didn't want to kill it he's like a pokemon

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Desert Temple's boss I thought for-sure was the worst because of how finicky the power for that temple can be, but on re-fights I just stopped using the power entirely. Way easier to use my own equipment for the same effect and then clown on that fool. I've got an autobuild set aside for the next time I come across the water temple boss, too.

Is the Water Temple boss refights supposed to have a special drop? I've done it once and I'm pretty sure all I got was a bunch of Octorock Tentacles

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

bawk posted:

Is the Water Temple boss refights supposed to have a special drop? I've done it once and I'm pretty sure all I got was a bunch of Octorock Tentacles

I just fought one, and no. Just the huge crystal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

404notfound posted:

I hated the Water Temple. The low gravity really exposes how bad some of the platforming mechanics can be

I didn't hate it, but I thought the shrine(s?) that used that as a toggleable puzzle mechanic worked much better. And yeah, the boss was rear end, especially doing it early with few/weak weapons.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

huge crystal.

the what now

because if that's unique to the refights then yeah that's what I was asking about

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea you get one for the first rekill. I don't know if each copy gives you one on each rekill or not

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
It's a real shame that there's such a gulf in quality between the Wind Temple and everything else, but I think it's mostly aesthetic. The Wind Temple is beautiful and has a coherent narrative of its own, whereas the others are just big buildings with puzzles in them.

I have a huge soft spot for the Spirit Temple because I discovered it early, but yeah its design as intended is a bit of a letdown. Though, I get that they're trying to give the impression of a "forgotten sage" who doesn't even get her own proper Temple.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I really wish I hadn’t ruined the wind temple for myself by accidentally getting up there without being on the right stage of the quest. Cause it seems to be a fan favorite but I just associate it with being mad lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:argh:
https://i.imgur.com/4XMPGeM.mp4

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don’t get it. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

https://youtu.be/aaL8DTDgxKA

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea. Quality is too low and I can’t be assed to load up the game and check, so maybe it’s bugged. Fire temple sucks anyway.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Classic Yiga clan

Tayter Swift posted:

Have you activated the thing at the start of the dungeon?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yes, the other four locks are done.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Wind was excellent, Fire was great, Water was rear end.

Low gravity, really short puzzles, and a tedious boss fight made for a long night. I ran out of arrows early in the fight, so i had to bide my time using an opal wand to throw water everywhere.

Tayter Swift posted:

The ramp doesnt need to walk him all the way up. Likely you're clipping on a lip or something. You can make a 2-length block platform and he'll fly off of that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Yes, the other four locks are done.

No clue then, save and restart the game maybe? Most people I've seen used a ramp there but I used pretty much the same setup you're doing there and it worked fine

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, the fire temple has a bunch of mine carts in it. That's pretty on brand. The electric temple had a bunch of machinery to power with electrical blasts.

I'd say my order is Air > Spirit > Lightning > Fire >>>>> Water

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I’ve tried the 2-block length and it didn’t work either.

Hope I can restart without having to install the anti-dupe patch :p

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wind > Lightning > Fire >>> Water. I hesitate to even call Spirit a temple. It's a couple puzzles in Standard Issue Depths leading up to a boss fight, which is fine, but it's no temple. Lightning and Fire are close but Lightning wins because it didn't have Yunobo and did have the only boss that I felt like I might have been in a tiny bit of danger during. Water would've been higher if Sidon's power isn't totally useless and his AI the most combat averse of the lot

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah I’ve tried the 2-block length and it didn’t work either.

Hope I can restart without having to install the anti-dupe patch :p

Not sure there's a way, but there's new dupes as I understand it. If you leave the area he stays behind so it puts it in some kind of alternate state that may kick start it as well, and if you have a travel medallion you can go right back there, but it's imho less likely than a restart to fix.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The water boss was fun as heck because you can beat it with a roomba carrying a hydrant.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I thought the lead up to the Wind Temple was the best, I was thrilled with that as a temple. Then I got to the actual wind temple, and it was just like 4 rooms and you can beat it in like 10 minutes. The rest of the temples in the game have all been pretty meh, and I just resorted to watching youtube videos on how to beat them because I find them less interesting than pretty much everything else in the game.

Off the top of my head, I think probably my favorite dungeon in Zelda games overall was probably the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time, but there are quite a few and I could probably be convinced there are better ones.

Fangz posted:

The water boss was fun as heck because you can beat it with a roomba carrying a hydrant.

Oh poo poo! that's brilliant! next time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fangz posted:

Mine didn't work so well :( I liked the boss, not so much the rest. I enjoyed it a lot more when I started just using splash fruit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Large, discrete dungeons on the scale of temples and Divine Beasts are clearly not a good fit with the current open world Zelda formula. These games were a lot better at exploration, discovery, and long-form questing, and any similar installments should focus on that instead of dungeon diving.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Restarted my switch, sacrificed my easy dupe by patching up and it still doesn’t work. I think my save has soft locked somehow. Frustrating.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are you sure you haven’t hit that gong already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Are you sure you haven’t hit that gong already?

… gently caress.